Page 14 of 51 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafter View Post
    I'm also wondering if V&M are playing a bit coy about this in the hopes that Skate Canada will support them more financially or help them find sponsors. Strictly speculation.

There were a lot of rumours after either the 1998 Olympics that Skate Canada paid money (i.e. $100,000 each) to Stojko and Bourne & Kraatz to stay in competition.
    Not likely to happen. Skate Canada doesn't have that kind of money anymore.
    images on ice - Figure Skating Photography

vCash

Buffery makes a good point that if they win worlds, there's nothing left for them to accomplish. I don't see V&M staying around for 4 more years, with the next Olympics in Russia, it will be hard to repeart. But I'd love to see them do a couple of more years just to experiment with different styles in the FD.
    But they do have tons to accomplish. Now that they have the big title, they can let go of all pressure and take all the risks they want in their program choice/choreo. They have the potential to be true legends, in the vein of T&D, who let's not forget are not remembered primarily because they were Olympic champions but because they always skated incredibly choreographed programs that changed the face of icedancing forever. CoP needs a team like that, a team who can show that it's possible to transcend all the rules and capture people's imaginations, and V&M have the potential to be that team by sticking around a couple more years.

vCash
    Here's a Q&A interview with V&M that looks like it was done before the Olympics. It's from a local SWO magazine.

http://www.trulifemagazine.ca/articl...ue-scott-moir/
    I like Tessas words: I would tell any young person to find his or her passion and pursue it! If the passion comes from within then you can find joy and fulfillment in what you do!
    I think she need to find this passion and find joi in new programs, new elements.
    I think they will retried, but hope they will skate in shows.
    Maybe it was really hard for them to skate all this years, if they every year think, they must retried and try find new motivation. For me if you did, what you love to do - its main motivation to work.
    Maybe D-W really love there work, when Tessa and Scott push thereselvs hard to represent Canada at OG.
    Hope they will find there reall passion in life and will made, what they want to to do and will be happy
    Its hard for me to think, that i will see there last perfomance in compertition in few days. But hope they will skate greate!

vCash
    This is not a surprise .. they had the perfect Olympics and if they achieve a world title that will cap off an amazing year obviously. But it also changes everything including goals and the what do we do next .. winning an Olympic gold medal is life changing and most people would take some time to sit down and evaluate after such a whirlwind year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by clarie View Post
    Well, I'm still hoping V&M win............being 2nd at Worlds this year would just be anticlimactic for everyone. I don't think their going to retire any time soon. They both love skating and even if it's just in shows, but I still think they'll be competing for a little while yet...............I sure hope I'm right.
    ITA. I totally understand wanting them to stick around, but no matter what I want them to end this season on a strong note.

vCash
    I'd totally understand if V&M would retire, but I think it would set lots of young skaters under pressure. A couple of years ago it was totally okay if teams stayed in for a long time and now everyone is even saying that Tanith and Ben are already "too old". Not everyone is as lucky as them and teams up at a really young age. Even though I might be a young skater I thought it was totally refreshing to see D&S at the Olympics. There is a difference between young teams such as V&M and D&W and grown ups.I don't think that it is a good trend that everyone is getting younger. Personally, I don't wanna see only teens competing at the world level. The true strength of a skater is to be good even when they're older.

vCash
    Now there a lot off teams, who used COP really good. D-W will 27-26 in Sochi - not very young and a lot off people think they will win and could be legend. (i agree - if the will win 4 WCh and OG it will be cool).
    At this OG V-M skated much better, then older teams, but at next competition, at next OG older teams could skate better, then V-M. I dont think this is problem.
    At all i dont like, that all journalists talk, thet they are so long skating together. All skaters start at 4-6, but not all could find patner in young age. I dont think ats important- they are young and they need to Canada team at least on 2 seasons - i dont think C-P, W-P will be strong enouf to take medal in next season at WCh.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ajax View Post
    ..... , CoP needs a team like that, a team who can show that it's possible to transcend all the rules and capture people's imaginations and V&M have the potential to be that team by sticking around a couple more years.
    Actually CoP did have two such teams, DelShoes and DenStavs but both are now retired. Well, make that three if you include the Kerr's who will also be gone after this season.

I do agree with you in regards to V&M. While they are peaking technically, they could help push the sport artistically. In the past I have argued that CoP isn't ruining the artistry in skating but after watching many of the programs this season I'm beginning to agree. Perhaps the only things that made me feel differently was that up until this season there were so many teams left over from the 6.0 era who were creating excellent programs inspite of the rules. Since many teams follow the lead of whomever the lead team is, I'd like to see V&M skate for two more years to bring back more creative choreography. Of course it depends on what direction the ISU wants the sport to go in.

We also still have P&B who despite the rules will most likely continue on in the French tradition of being creative and voidy.

ice.dance.girl, I agree about the perception of age in icedance (and pairs) also changing under CoP. The length of eligible careers for pair and dance teams is also changing and I admit that these are two changes I don't particularly care for.

Even if Tessa and Scott came right out and said they wanted to do another four years there seems to be the sentiment that "you had your turn so move out of the way for another team." I was surprised at how many people this season brought up the ages of B&A as being "too old." Not so long ago, a team like B&A could have easily done another four years and been considered right in line age wise. I remember when skating was broadcast on ESPN Susie Wynne used to point out that with the nature of icedance and needing a seasoned partnership, most dancers didn't peak until their late twenties or early thirties.

If they had competed among the new generation of skaters, I can't imagine that teams such as D&V, K&P or even W&L would have been allowed the longevity they had in their eligible careers.

I really don't expect V&M to stick around for Sochi but I wish for another year (at least) just to see them push themselves artistically. I will like everyone else though respect whatever their final decision is.
    Last edited by Carmen Ovsiannikov; 03-20-2010 at 05:42 AM.

vCash
    They're very smart not to let themselves be pushed around by the pressure of all these questions regarding their future. It seems so obvious - well, duh, we just won the Olympics, we need time to think - it's incredible to think that they're supposed to just "know" right now what comes next.

Even though I'm a selfish fan and I'd love to see them continue skating competitively, I think all their answers to date have been understandable.

Some skaters have been able to take time off and come back strong (G/G) but not others (Witt, Boitano). They'll have to think about it very carefully (if indeed that's the direction they're thinking), there are never any guarantees.

vCash
    It wasn't my intention to suggest that Tessa and Scott should hold a press conference tomorrow and tell everyone what their plans are post Worlds. I agree that it is far too soon for that and I even wonder if they've had a chance to really think about it with all the events they have been attending along with the interviews accompanied with photo shoots.

We probably won't hear anything until well into the off season when new programs are being created.

I admit to being a selfish fan and wanting another four years but I'll be patient and give V&M a chance to finish this season, unwind and take a little time for themselves.

I'm also one of those who is rooting for V&M to cap off their season with their first (possibly only) World title. I'm not a believer in skaters or teams having their "turn" to win. IMO, just as in Vancouver, if/when () V&M put forth three solid performances (I'm not expecting them to be able to duplicate the aura they created in Vancouver) then I want them to be crowned World Champions.

vCash
    While I agree that they totally deserve a break, I'm in the camp that says they've only scratched the surface of what they could do artistically, and possibly even technically. As they are still so young emotionally, imagine what they could do as they themselves mature. I hope that when they take their time off, they'll really think about this. As for college, there is lots of time for Tessa to continue her education, many people get their degrees later in life. I think they will continue to pull fans back into skating if they continue to compete and having Davis and White as their challengers, could prove to be very exciting.

vCash
    How unfortunate would it be for one partner to be ready to move on while the other wanted to remain eligible? Does anyone else get the sense that this could be the case? The Good Morning America interview gave me that impression. But now I am just dissecting up the crack hole.

vCash
    I read an interesting quote in one russian article. Its about ner direction of ice dance. That this new direction is very interesting, and people like it, but if all teams will skate like this, it will be boring. Author said - "if we will have most teams skate, like D-W, it will be boring during time, because all this super-technick didnt have soul, truth emotion, in wich ice dance was known before. We have now only one team, who could show all this technick with soul, with emotions - you coundt stop watching there skating - its V-M. But girl have problems with her legs and mabe couldnt skate after this OG. Without this team, i think, new direction of ice dance will not be interesting".

I think coaches must think about this. And i juniors we have teams, who could be emotional and show good technick (maybe not, like D-W, but goo). And maybe ice dance now must go on this direction - V-M direction, not D-W direction. Meryl and Charlie could have a prigress in interpretation too i believe in this, but if hudges will give all 1 places, they dont need to do this.
    I think, that maybe ISU must ask V-M to stay (like Cthey did with Denkova-Staviisky) - for bild in competition with D-W more emotionals and choreo difficult programs.
    As for age. You know, i have feeling, that ISU, ice dance technical cometee will think about this and we will not have such a young champions soon. I dont know why i think like this, but will see.

And i think journalists did a lot off speculation about V-M retriement. V-M talk one think, journalists talk - they didnt need anything if theu will win WCh. And journalists talk, like V-M will not skate in showes. I dont know, maybe they have more information.
    Last edited by pani; 03-20-2010 at 01:25 PM.

vCash
    This is an interesting discussion and I agree with everyone who said, "well they just had a life changing season, of course they need time to think things through!" I guess it's important to remember this.

But barring some terrific breakthroughs from the up and coming, lower ranked teams, without a V/M-D/W rivalry ice dance next season is going to be boring. Who else can realistically rival D/W right now? I enjoy F/S but I think they have reached their peak. I love P/B's voidiness but they do not have the technical goods. K/N - don't even get me started on Novitski's weaknesses. These teams are not realistic competition.

C'mon guys! I want a (friendly) rivalry for the ages!

vCash
    One more interwie with Zueva and Shpilband
    http://www.eg.ru/daily/sports/18161/

Marina talk, like he come to Canada - all her skaters stop skating in USSR and Fedaration didnt give her new skaters. That she worked with Karen Cadaivy and canadian pair teams.
    She said, that Tessa is very artisticall, because she have ballet classis during 14 years. That V-M and D-W are very competitive wich each other, but support each other during competition.
    But i like one thing the most. She said - V-M skated really graete in Vancouver, bat they need grow and a lot off to do in skating. They are now, like young lovers, who like spend time together, i hope during the time they will skate even better.
    Hope Marina will tell this to them - that they are not on the top of there skating yet.

vCash
    This article was written in Quebec after the very same press teleconference that the icenetwork reporter participated in (it was just the standard pre-Worlds press conference).
    http://www.cyberpresse.ca/sports/aut...ue-et-moir.php

Here's an interesting quote from Tessa that was not included in the other stories:

«Nous aimons patiner ensemble et nous le ferons sans doute encore longtemps, mais nous n'avons pas encore eu le temps de réfléchir à ce que nous ferons la saison prochaine... et les suivantes», a souligné Virtue.

"We like/love to skate together and we will undoubtedly do it for a long time, but we haven't yet had the time to think about what we'll do next season, and the following ones", emphasized Virtue.
    Last edited by flowerpower; 03-21-2010 at 12:51 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by flowerpower View Post
    This article was written in Quebec after the very same press teleconference that the icenetwork reporter participated in (it was just the standard pre-Worlds press conference).
    http://www.cyberpresse.ca/sports/aut...ue-et-moir.php

Here's an interesting quote from Tessa that was not included in the other stories:

«Nous aimons patiner ensemble et nous le ferons sans doute encore longtemps, mais nous n'avons pas encore eu le temps de réfléchir à ce que nous ferons la saison prochaine... et les suivantes», a souligné Virtue.

"We like/love to skate together and we will undoubtedly do it for a long time, but we haven't yet had the time to think about what we'll do next season, and the following ones", emphasized Virtue.
    Its sound much better, then all, what journalists post in another articles - retiement, stop patnership. I think this sound more realistic - they will deside skate in pro or at competitions - sound greate!
    Last edited by pani; 03-21-2010 at 11:50 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bue View Post
    .......without a V/M-D/W rivalry ice dance next season is going to be boring. Who else can realistically rival D/W right now? I enjoy F/S but I think they have reached their peak. I love P/B's voidiness but they do not have the technical goods. K/N - don't even get me started on Novitski's weaknesses. These teams are not realistic competition.

C'mon guys! I want a (friendly) rivalry for the ages!
    I wouldn't be so quick to say P&B won't/can't rival D&W. Perhaps not this year but P&B have beaten them in the past and with a program with content that was more difficult than this years Requiem FD (Organ Donor). We've all seen instances of teams coming back from the off season looking faster and more competitive with the other teams. P&B are able to handle more (I always wonder why teams who are capable of doing certain things don't include those things in their programs) and they will enter into the 10/11 season as the top French couple. No longer being slated behind DelShoes (who did deserve to be France #1) will help. Or maybe I'm just biased because I love P&B. If V&M leave eligible skating, Nathalie and Fabian are one of two or three teams who would keep me watching icedance.

D&W may have a year or two being the top internationally if V&M turn pro (I'm really hoping they don't) but I don't think they will keep that posititon for the next four years. By the time Sochi rolls around they'll also (knock on wood) have I&K to deal with.

Also if F&S stay in even one more year they might be seen differently now that the judges aren't focused on Delshoes, DomShabs and B&A (though it seems B&A were demoted) as well as V&M, D&W and K&N. Federica and Massimo have improved a great deal training with Krylova & Camerlengo and if they stay and their goal is the podium then I would imagine their training would be just as involved as the Shpilband group. Their coaches would know what has to be done to get them where they need to go. While D&W have speed and technical difficulty, I think F&S do some things better.

Of course it all depends on what the rules look like next season. If there are changes that help the other skaters as much as this years rules helped D&W.

I do think at the moment it looks as if this is the first time since I don't know when we don't really have a truly deep field internationally. Unless I'm forgetting someone.

vCash
    While D&W have speed and technical difficulty, I think F&S do some things better.
    yeah, like the O face!!

vCash
    It's funny, I never noticed Federica's face until someone pointed it out during Europeans. Now as much as I love F&S's FD, my eyes go straight to Fede's face; especially after the halfway point. I notice that from the halfway mark to the end Fede skated the rest of the program with her mouth wide open.

So thanks a bunch to whomever it was who first noticed that.

Page 14 of 51 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast