vCash
    1. Kwan 2003 Aranjuez
    2. Kwan 2001 SOBS
    Tied 3. Arakawa 2004 Turandot & Slutzkaya 2005 Wonderland
    8.Kim 2009
    Tied 9. Ando 2007 & Meissner 2006

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by falling_dance View Post
    1. Kwan, The Red Violin (the best all-around by my lights)
    i also like the intensity and the fact that she was first to skate in the final group. it added drama.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by eurodance2001 View Post
    Going first didn't help her, but as a former World Champion and coming out with that kind of a skate, with the triple-triple that everyone was harping on her to do, and still get 5.6's and 5.7's for technical was a joke. Irina was not the artiste Kwan was at that time (or maybe ever) so the fact that Irina pulled some 5.9's for her program was laughable. ANYWAY, I'm glad Kwan won despite the low range of scores..
    me too. and those boos from the crowd as her score was revealed was really justified. a 7 triple, cleanly executed program was not worth a 5.6. had she not won i wonder how the french would react?

vCash
    Going first didn't help her, but as a former World Champion and coming out with that kind of a skate, with the triple-triple that everyone was harping on her to do, and still get 5.6's and 5.7's for technical was a joke. Irina was not the artiste Kwan was at that time (or maybe ever) so the fact that Irina pulled some 5.9's for her program was laughable. ANYWAY, I'm glad Kwan won despite the low range of scores..
    And in the SP, she had even lower scores.
    The fact that she skated before Maria and Irina in the LP may explain her low marks.
    But I agree with you, Michelle killed the competition before the others skated and deserved better than 5.6 or 5.7

vCash
    Here are mine:

1. Kwan 2001--A perfect program, with 7 triples including a 3-3. I loved the way the program built to a dramatic ending. Kwan was the best at that.

2. Kwan 2000--Another perfect, 7 triple program in a come-from-behind win. This is a close second to 2001, based only on my own, purely subjective opinion.

3. Kwan 2003--Not the most technically difficult ("only" 6 triples), but the full Kwan magic was on display. Passion, command of the ice, and technical perfection lift this program above others who did a 3-3.

4. Arakawa-2004--The most technically difficult of any World's FP that I can recall, combined with the beauty of Shizuka's skating. I love her Ina Bauer.

5. Yu Na 2009. Only 5 triples, but the best 3-3 of any lady in the history of the sport and technical perfection on the jumps she did complete. And her presence on the ice is captivating.

6. Irina-2005. I rank her above Mao because of the technical content and lack of mistakes.

7. Mao-2008. A brave performance. After a frightening fall, she came back with two 3-3's. Despite the mistake, I much prefer this to Mao's winning skate in 2010

8. Kimmie 2006--This was Kimmie's best performance ever. Maybe her 3-3s wouldn't be credited by today's super-picky standards, but she did what she had to do in that year and deserved to win.

9. Irina-2002. A consolation prize. Michelle should have won the long program, but I don't think it would have made a difference in the final placements.

10. Miki 2007--Because I can't remember this at all!
    Last edited by giselle23; 06-23-2010 at 04:56 PM.

vCash
    I´ll only rank those three that are best, IMO:

1. Shizuka Arakawa 2004 (she was sooo amazing technically and artistically)
    2. Yuna Kim 2009 (her artistry is the best ever and even with one fault she was great technically, too)
    2. Irina Slutskaya 2005 (a programme that suited Slutskaya really well)

vCash
    Honestly I think the judges were planning to place Kwan 3rd that year even after her skate, and would have if Maria and Irina had skated cleanly, or 2nd had just one of them skated better than they did. Not saying I agree with that, just that is what their expectation was I believe. That said apart from the two 5.6s for technical which I agree were a joke her scores were an even mix of 5.7s and 5.8s for technical and 5.8s and 5.9s for presentation which were reasonable considering she was going 1st with the other 2 gold contenders left to come. I would agree the performance was good enough for 5.8s and 5.9s technical and 5.9s and 6.0s for artistic if she skated later of course.
    Last edited by judgejudy27; 06-23-2010 at 10:58 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post

6. 2009- Yu Na Kim - Scheherezade. Great technical skate, although she botched a Triple Salchow and did 3 double axels to milk the COP. She skated blazingly fast with huge, exciting jumps. After her skate, it was a feeling of "finally" as people expected her to have this kind of skate at the prior two World Championships. Major deductions for the jumping errors and plagiarism from Kwan's Scheherezade. Watching them side-by-side was illustrative of that.
    great skate but I agree. I mean I understand being influenced, but despite what I've heard ppl say about it just being the dress, the spiral placement and the end pose being similar, I disagree. I notice quite a lot of nuances that were also similar. I mean yu-na's version does have a few cool unique choreographic elements of its own but even in the quieter interlude in the middle of the music she does the exact same "raising hands to the air together and fluttering along with her back" movement michelle does. actually yu-na's program is more choreographically complete than michelle's, since michelle started to have empty programs after 01, but I can't give yu-na that much credit when so much of it was "inspired" by michelle's program

for my ranking I'm putting presentation/artistry ahead of technical elements, as although the latter are important as well the rules changed dramatically following 2005..so

1. song of the black swan - kwan
    2. the red violin - kwan
    3. turandot - arakawa
    4. concierto de aranjuez - kwan
    5. scheherazade - kim
    6. queen of spades - slutskaya
    7. fantasie impromptu - asada
    8. tosca - slutskaya
    9. mendelssohn - ando
    10. queen of sheba - meissner
    Last edited by iarispiralllyof; 06-23-2010 at 11:23 PM.

vCash
    2000 Kwan
    2009 Kim
    2008 Asada
    2004 Arakawa
    2001 Kwan
    2005 Slutskaya
    2007 Ando
    2003 Kwan
    2006 Meissner
    2002 Slutskaya

Title-less
    vCash
    I am surprised Slut's 2005 worlds lp isn't a top pick for many. To me it's one of the top three along with Kwan's 2000 performance (Sluts/Kwan top two in any order). Kwan's 01 performance is good but unlike the 00 LP, it's not a breakthrough, choreographically or technically for her. She did that the year before (landing 7 jumps with a 3/3).

Arakawa's program isn't bad. To me she's top 4 because that was the best performance she has done technically.

To me, Meissner, Ando and Asada should be somewhere below mid-point as Meissner's style wasn't mature in 2006 and Ando and Asada didn't even win their free skate.

The rest of the programs aren't exactly "performance-of-your-life" so they're somewhere in the middle. However, I prefer some of them choreographically. For instance, choreographically, I really like Kim's Scheherazade but I don't consider her performance at worlds performance of her life, though very solid.

vCash
    2003 Kwan - the joy and the big jumps
    2000 Kwan - the speed and the 3/3, lesser choreography and use of music than at Skate America
    2001 Kwan - the beauty of the program (but also the cheated triples)
    2004 Arakawa - lovely program but again with the cheated 3/3s and lack of expression
    2009 Kim - fast and exciting performance; beautiful choreography and really using the music, silly 3sal mistake
    2002 Slutskaya - big clean jumps and very 'complete' program - but lacks anything deep
    2005 Slutskaya - emotional skate but also very sloppy
    2008 Asada - very distracting opening fall
    2007 Ando - nothing stands out
    2006 Meissner - cheated jumps and mechanical expressions

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    2003 Kwan - the joy and the big jumps
    2000 Kwan - the speed and the 3/3, lesser choreography and use of music than at Skate America
    2001 Kwan - the beauty of the program (but also the cheated triples)
    I didn't see any cheated triples in 2001. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFp7RVrihvk
    Perhaps not 100% secure on the landings of the sal and second lutz, but those are nits.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by giselle23 View Post
    I didn't see any cheated triples in 2001. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFp7RVrihvk
    Perhaps not 100% secure on the landings of the sal and second lutz, but those are nits.
    Come on. The flip and second lutz were both cheated by about a quarter turn. The second 3toe in the 3/3 was also slightly cheated but within the acceptable range. Her jumps in 2001 were all around not as strong as her 2000 jumps or her jumps in 2003-4.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shady82 View Post
    9. 2006 Meissner: Clean program with triple-triples, but the rest of her program just wasn't as impressive, though she received a great reaction
    And that reaction was well-earned by Kimmie. I was there to enjoy it and we were all on our feet before she even finished. She threw down the program of the night when the rest of the field :coughSashaSplatcough: wasn't doing so well.

vCash
    Now that the 2009-2010 Olympic season is over, I was wondering how people would rank the 3 winning Olympic lps (Sarah's lp, Shizuka's lp, and Yu Na 's lp) with the 10 World lps?

vCash
    I rank them as follows:

1. Kwan 2000 -- Difficult music, difficult situation, and the result was magic!

2. Slutskaya 2005 -- I love a good comeback, and this was one for the ages!

3. Kwan 2001 -- Wonderful.

4. Kwan 2003 -- Such joy!

5. Arakawa 2004 -- Beautiful -- in all ways.

6. Kim 2009.

7. Meissner 2006

8. Ando 2007 -- I was so happy for her

9. Asada 2008 -- gutsy, but mistakes

10 Slutskaya 2002

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lilia&mofan View Post
    Now that the 2009-2010 Olympic season is over, I was wondering how people would rank the 3 winning Olympic lps (Sarah's lp, Shizuka's lp, and Yu Na 's lp) with the 10 World lps?
    I'm too lazy to formally re-rank but I'd have Yu-Na pretty close to the top, quite possibly #1. I just thought she was phenomenal, especially under that intense national pressure. Just... WOW.

I hate to say it because I adore her skating, but Shizuka would probably be in the mid-to-lower half for me. It was a good but not phenomenal skate, controlled but cautious, no 3/3s, popped jump and seemingly did the same damn spin four times. For me, her Worlds FS was so much better.

Not sure about Sarah, but I'd probably have her just behind Shizuka. Props for attempting two 3/3 and the nice layback, but points deducted for the hideous flutz, somewhat frontloaded jumps IIRC, and some choreo that Robin Wagner stole from MK. She did skate with joy and it was fun to watch, so good for her.
    "Marge, if you're going to get mad at me every time I do something stupid, then I guess I'm just going to have to stop doing stupid things!" - Homer Simpson in the Mr. Plow episode

vCash
    1. 2001 I absolutely loved this program and Michelle skated it perfectly!
    1. 2005 Irina skated this so well and considering her illness amazing. I really enjoyed this program so much. These two programs tied!

2. 2004 This was a very impressive skate I really enjoyed the entire program.

3. 2002 A very clean program and very well done.

4. 2003 Loved the music not much content artistically, but she did skate with joy.

5. 2000 This wasn't one of my favorite programs, but she did skate it very well.
    6. 2008 I'm not a big fan, but this program was good except for the fall.

7. 2009 This program wasn't that good at all.

8. 2007 I don't like Miki's skating, but I was happy for her when she won.

9. 2006 Kimmie is just boring boring boring!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lilia&mofan View Post
    Yuna would probably be top two, Shiz would be in the middle, and Sarah would be at the bottom with Kimmie.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by UGG View Post
    Yuna would probably be top two, Shiz would be in the middle, and Sarah would be at the bottom with Kimmie.
    It depends on whether you credit Sarah's jumps. She flutzed and under-rotated at least one of her 3-3's. But Yu Na is the best of the three, IMO. Can there be any argument? A perfect program with a difficult 3-3, 6 triples, all well-executed, good artistry.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast