Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

vCash

Duplicity Dogged Lysacek

Thought I would be provocative!

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/164...01/story.jhtml

Seems that his high school friends had no idea that he was a competitive figure skater.

Is duplicity still dogging him???

Just me
    vCash
    I think there are a lot of things you don't necessarily share with the people you know in high school. I belonged to several square dance clubs and traveled all over the US with my parents and their friends to attend big gatherings and conventions and none of the kids I went to school with knew anything about it.

no one knew I roller skated, either...
    If this is to end in fire
    Then we will all burn together

vCash
    It's too bad he felt like he had to hide it. I hope everyone was supportive after his principal told them! I went to high school with an internationally competitive swimmer, and we all knew and were constant cheerleaders for him. (At the same time, I can see how it might get old being asked about it or just known as the athlete all the time.)

vCash
    I taught a girl who was a competitive skater. The other kids didn't really care. It wasn't a school sport and therefore it was meaningless to them. They didn't understand the demands on her or bother to try and understand. Nor did they care about the sport at all. And that response would probably be magnified if it were a boy. You get far more mileage in high school out of being a basketball star that will never play a second beyond the high school level.

I also went to high school with a competitive gymnast who was an alternate for the 1988 Olympic team. Not only did no one make a big deal of it, she seemed to prefer that no one did. She was my biology lab partner and other than sometimes mentioning that she had to get to the gym after school, she didn't want to talk about that or have anyone make a fuss over it.

So I'm not sure Evan was engaged in some big "duplicity". It was probably just how it was.

vCash
    I'm not sure it's duplicity, just that most skaters realise very early on that other kids aren't really interested in what they do in their 'skating world' as they can't really relate to it. Consequently skaters learn not to talk about it in school.

vCash
    Evan went to Jr. Worlds for the first time at 15 and finished second behind Johnny. It was televised. He was also gone from school for a week. I find it hard to believe no one knew at that point.

vCash
    Jr. Worlds is not the same thing as a Senior level event. Its usually televised on one of the PMS networks which makes it easy to miss.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic Connect View Post
    Evan went to Jr. Worlds for the first time at 15 and finished second behind Johnny. It was televised. He was also gone from school for a week. I find it hard to believe no one knew at that point.
    And how many 15-year olds watch Lifetime?

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic Connect View Post
    I was also thinking about the time he must have missed - surely his teachers knew about it, and it's a wonder the other kids didn't question it. All the time spent at the rink would have also taken him away from the usual round of social activities.

vCash
    Many, many,many skaters have said their outside peers didn't know about their skating. Just recently D/W and V/M have said other people at their colleges didn't know.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    I was also thinking about the time he must have missed - surely his teachers knew about it, and it's a wonder the other kids didn't question it. All the time spent at the rink would have also taken him away from the usual round of social activities.
    In a high school with only about 240 students, the girl I taught would be gone for a week for a competition and classmates would say "oh, yeah, she's gone for something. A trip." A pre-absence slip (used in most high schools for a planned absence so teachers know a kid is going to be gone and can make homework arrangements--they go by different names) usually gets abbreviated down to "out of town" by the attendance office even if parents or the student specifically say where they are going. I recently had a student who would miss because she was on a junior national volleyball team. Her senior class had 21 students total. They didn't really care why she was gone or talk about it.

These are high school kids. Not FSU gatherings

vCash
    My senior year of high school I missed a full week of school with the flu and I returned to a round of questions of where my family went on vacation.

vCash
    I grew up in the same area as Evan and I can tell you that those kids are so self absorbed that they would question you if they thought there was juicy gossip. Attending a competition or having mono is not juicy enough.

vCash
    I´d suppose the teachers must have known, but that does not mean that they have shared the info with pupils, in my opinion.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Goodness, such a reaction! All I did was note my surprise, based on my own high school experience, that the other kids didn't notice his extended and repeated absences, and guess that the teachers must've known - in my experience, teachers often asked the other kids if they knew why someone was missing, and I'm guessing they would have checked into it further if the absences were extended or repeated frequently.

It was just an observation.

vCash
    Everyone is stepping lightly around the elephant in the room. A boy doing figure skating is not like being a swimmer or a gymnast. He could have taken alot of grief if all the kids knew.

vCash
    My son teaches at the high school Evan attended. After the Olympics, he sent me some archival footage of an interview and feature that was done on Evan for the in-house student television station. This was done while Evan was a student, and rebroadcast this year for the current students. It's true that kids that age can be pretty oblivious, but obviously any of them who saw this program knew about Evan's skating at the time. His teachers certainly would have known in advance, because arrangements would have been made for him to do the work he was missing during his absences.

vCash
    The article seems to say that for a while, the kids didn't know, but eventually they caught on because the high school principal let the cat out of the bag:
    Although Lysacek is a household name, back in the day, his friends didn't even realize he was training for Olympic glory. "For a long time, a lot of my friends didn't even know I was a skater, and the ones that did know didn't really understand the magnitude of it — that I was traveling all around the world to compete," he says.

Then there was one fateful day when his school principal decided to expose his secret to the entire student body. "My junior year was the first time that I competed in a competition that was televised," Evan recalls. "My principal broadcast my skating competition for the whole school. I didn't know ahead of time, so I kind of was surprised."
    "Marge, if you're going to get mad at me every time I do something stupid, then I guess I'm just going to have to stop doing stupid things!" - Homer Simpson in the Mr. Plow episode

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Goodness, such a reaction! All I did was note my surprise, based on my own high school experience, that the other kids didn't notice his extended and repeated absences, and guess that the teachers must've known - in my experience, teachers often asked the other kids if they knew why someone was missing, and I'm guessing they would have checked into it further if the absences were extended or repeated frequently.
    I missed a lot of school when I was growing up and it was such a norm that after a few years, no one asked me why I was absent. I just was.

Quote Originally Posted by REO View Post
    Everyone is stepping lightly around the elephant in the room. A boy doing figure skating is not like being a swimmer or a gymnast. He could have taken alot of grief if all the kids knew.
    The year after I graduated, I found out that a guy who had been in my class was a dancer with a local but internationally known dance group and had been for a couple of years. I found out because I saw a photo of him in a newspaper article. I ran into him a while later and told him how surprised and impressed I was, and he said that he never let anyone know in high school because he figured he would have been ragged to death by kids who would have assumed he was gay. What was funny was that everyone I knew already thought he was gay . But he often traveled for dance during high school and always told everyone that he had been on vacation. People thought it was kind of odd that he went on so many vacations, but again, it was such a norm after a while that no one really questioned it.
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

vCash
    Bottom line is no one cares. If you don't do something cool that they value or can relate to -- no matter what is -- then it just doesn't register. People are involved in all sorts of extra curriculars, athletic and artistic. Unless you're on the cover of sports illustrated you're just another kid with a hobby. It's not until you're a star that suddenly you're something.

I went to high school with Shania Twain. She was never in class..and no one talked to her when she was around or gave a crap about her until she became a star. Then suddenly we have claimed her as our own and named streets after her. It's the star-struck mentality...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast