Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    vCash
    Soloists of WATW 1985: Lionel Richie, Stevie Wonder, Paul Simon, Kenny Rogers, James Ingram, Tina Turner, Billy Joel, Michael Jackson, Diana Ross, Dionne Warwick, Willie Nelson, Al Jarreau, Bruce Springsteen, Kenny Loggins, Steve Perry, Darryl Hall, Huey Lewis, Cyndi Lauper, Kim Carnes, Bob Dylan, Ray Charles.

Soloists of WATW 2010: Justin Bieber, Jennifer Hudson, Nicole Scherzinger, Jennifer Nettles, Josh Groban, Tony Bennett, Mary J Blige, Janet Jackson, Barbra Streisand, Miley Cyrus, Enrique Iglesias, Jamie Foxx, Wyclef, Adam Levine, Pink, BeBe Winans, Usher, Celine Dion, Fergie, Nick Jonas, Toni Braxton, Mary Mary, Isaac Slade, Lil Wayne, Akon, T-Pain, LL Cool J, Will.i.am, Snoop Dogg, Busta Rhymes, Swizz Beatz, lyaz, Kanye West.

Grooving!
    vCash
    ^^ I'm not sure what the point was of duane's posting. But I do think the reasons some people think the 1985 soloists were better is because (a) that's when they (the listeners, not the stars) were in their "formative" years, musically speaking, and we all know how much better things were back when we were young , and (b) the 1985 soloists have had 25 years to sort of stand the test of time. Many of the current batch are still fairly early in their careers, relative to the 1985 batch. Let's see how they stack up in 25 years.

I'm not saying I thought it as a great song/video -- far from it. But it wasn't the monstrosity I was expectating based on the panning it got here.

gold dust woman
    vCash
    The end of the song is really bad--what is Wyclef doing?

And I'm not a fan of Auto-Tune, so Akon and T-Pain did not sound good to me.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skaternum View Post
    ^^ I'm not sure what the point was of duane's posting.
    The "point" was to list the soloists and to allow people to make up their own minds as to which group is more "stellar".

As I said earlier, IMO the number of A-list stars of WATW 1985 was impressive. The soloists were artists who--at that time--were top-selling artists (Michael Jackson and "Thriller", Springsteen and "Born in the USA", Richie and "Can't Slow Down", Tina Turner and "Private Dancer", Cindy Lauper and "She's So Unusual", Huey Lewis and "Sports", Billy Joel and "An Innocent Man"...), music icons, and Grammy Award winners. I would say nearly every soloist of the original WATW had instant name recognition in 1985, and when the purpose of a song is to raise money, you want the top artists. I think this is why the original WATW--as bad a song it is--became so popular, because people were simply fascinated by the collaboration of so many top artists.

vCash
    The remake was an absolute travesty. Not that the first version was ever anything to write home about, but it was the first time that anyone had attempted to do a recording like this with such a large group of respected musicians (operative word, not musically engineered noise makers), many of whom had long and well-respected careers even at that time.

I am still trying to figure out why Jermaine Jackson is mad for not being asked to participate. I understand that his ego is large enough for him to be offended because he wasn't included. However, he should be glad his name isn't attached to this hot mess.
    The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are--Joseph Campbell

vCash
    The more things change the more they stay the same. The song sucked 25 years ago and it still sucks.

aka IceSkate98
    vCash
    A noted couple of changes that would have improved this new version immensely . Two artists that should have been included as Soloists and not just in the background ... Gladys Knight and Ann & Nancy Wilson (Heart).
    Angie
    “I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” ~ Thomas A. Edison

Grooving!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FiveRinger View Post
    Not that the first version was ever anything to write home about, but it was the first time that anyone had attempted to do a recording like this with such a large group of respected musicians
    Aside: I hate that Bob Geldof's "Do They Know It's Christmas" gets short shrift because of the WATW hoo-hah 25 years ago. Bob did it first, and he did it better!

vCash
    And The Jonas Brothers for feck's sake!!! It's like Tiger Beat was sitting in on the session!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skaternum View Post
    Aside: I hate that Bob Geldof's "Do They Know It's Christmas" gets short shrift because of the WATW hoo-hah 25 years ago. Bob did it first, and he did it better!
    ITA. DTNIC is a better song, IMO.

Saint Smugpawski
    Cutting Down Privet Because Food Prices Are Going Up Next Year
    vCash
    I think I knew 5 faces in this thing, and one of them was Jeff Bridges.

I must be old because I'd rather listen to Willie Nelson.
    The fastest thing out of New Jersey since Tricky Nicky in a Muscovian handbasket

Duck Hunter
    vCash
    I don't mind Auto Tune in the right context.. but WATW is NOT the right context! I heard this on the radio yesterday while I was cleaning my apartment and was like wtf is this?? But again.. as I said in the bachelor thread.. it could have been because I was just in a bad mood. I'll have to listen to it again when I'm in a better mood.

Suriprised about Wyclef.. I usually like him quite a bit!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by reckless View Post
    ITA. DTNIC is a better song, IMO.
    DTNIC is light years ahead of this hot mess. Seriously.

vCash
    Having Justin Beiber open the song and including Miley Cyrus and the Jonas Brothers in it just make it totally bootleg.

Grooving!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by UGG View Post
    Having Justin Beiber open the song and including Miley Cyrus and the Jonas Brothers in it just make it totally bootleg.
    Maybe what it does is pull in a demographic that wouldn't be hit by the other singers, which isn't a bad idea if you're trying to get as many people as possible to listen and donate. Perhaps somebody thought, hmmm ... if those little tweens and young teens can afford all those freaking ringtones, let's see if we can get them to swallow this spoonful o'crap and cough up some money.

vCash
    The original wasn't exactly a masterpiece - ok it was a bit hokey - but at least it was reasonably cohesive. In any event, it was one style of music (that Very Special Episode 80s feel). The 2010 was... I don't know, it just felt very kitchen sink, like they were compelled to throw every style of music under the sun in there, plus the random Autotune moments.

I can't help but think the last time QJ enforced the "check your egos at the door" rule, and this time the end product seemed to reflect a lot of ego management (gotta give this person a solo, gotta give that person a solo, gotta squeeze 6 music genres in there...)
    "Marge, if you're going to get mad at me every time I do something stupid, then I guess I'm just going to have to stop doing stupid things!" - Homer Simpson in the Mr. Plow episode

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheylana View Post
    I can't help but think the last time QJ enforced the "check your egos at the door" rule, and this time the end product seemed to reflect a lot of ego management (gotta give this person a solo, gotta give that person a solo, gotta squeeze 6 music genres in there...)
    When I saw some footage of the celebs arriving and walking a red carpet, I knew this wasn't going to be in the spirit of the first one.

Personally I always had a soft spot for Tears Are Not Enough (Canadian song done in 1985).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post

Personally I always had a soft spot for Tears Are Not Enough (Canadian song done in 1985).
    I much preferred the original "We are the World," and "Do They Know It's Christmas?" but my favorite of the three is "Tears are Not Enough."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12