Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by loopey View Post
    According to Weir in "The Loft" Ksenia is jumping 3lz/3t in practices, but has not yet put them in her programs. So I think she is looking to improve!
    Yes, Ksenia's father, Oleg Makarov, said the same in his interview after Euros. Ksenia also mentioned after Olympics that she will put 3lz in her programs next year and wants to try 3F-3T or 3Lz-3T

vCash
    Meh, Johnny has always given blind praise to the younger Russian girls. As I recall, he formerly had Arina Martinova on the "favorite athletes" list on his website but chucked her once she failed to live up to her potential.

Team Voronov, party of 1
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by siouxdonym View Post
    Meh, Johnny has always given blind praise to the younger Russian girls. As I recall, he formerly had Arina Martinova on the "favorite athletes" list on his website but chucked her once she failed to live up to her potential.
    That is classic. Blind praise is right.
    I like Makarova but listening to Johnny go on and on about how much of a woman she was made me want for Helgesson to kick her butt.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    I can't believe Makarova may not even make Sochi even if she would be the only elegant lady among all the jumping bean girls.
    I still think she has a good shot, many of these girls are so young that they can go in 2018 if they aren't quite the soup by 2014. Plus you don't know what puberty will do to them, even if they do overcome puberty a lot is going to depend on the timing and if they will be able to recover from growth spurts in time for Sochi.

Also, they aren't all little jumping beans. Ovcharova is known more for her spirals, spins, and footwork than her jumps so in a couple years I think will be more of an elegant (in an energetic way) lady than a jumping bean and Agafonova seems pretty graceful too. Again, it's all about the timing, I don't think we'll be seeing Leonova in Sochi but Makarova I think will be there and maybe Ovcharova too where she will have more international experience than a lot of the others by then and seems be going through her growing pains now (and still improving a lot despite them) rather than later. Liza apparently landed 3a in a competition so I think we'll be seeing a lot of her in a couple years, that girl is scary good!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pinky166 View Post
    Again, it's all about the timing, I don't think we'll be seeing Leonova in Sochi
    Because??
    Currently ISU ranked 8th, but too old at 24 by then?

If true, that would be .

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by geod2 View Post
    Because??
    Currently ISU ranked 8th, but too old at 24 by then?

If true, that would be .
    Because the younger girls are better, and I'm sure some of them will survive puberty considering there's about a dozen of them and new ones popping up every week!

vCash
    The young girls are already very inconsistent, however, and growth spurts and big breasts/hips might impact their skating careers a lot. You just don't know what's going to happen to their bodies when they start to reach puberty.

Poor girls have it so much harder because of that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    The young girls are already very inconsistent, however, and growth spurts and big breasts/hips might impact their skating careers a lot. You just don't know what's going to happen to their bodies when they start to reach puberty.

Poor girls have it so much harder because of that.
    I kind of doubt all of them will end up with big boobs and hips. Russia has so many thin, beautiful ballerinas that I think some of the girls will remain slim. Plus, growing up didn't ruin Irina.

13 year olds in general are inconsistent and many of these girls have only been doing triples for a little while. I personally don't find Leonova too impressive but maybe if she improves I will change my mind.

I found another Russian woo! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4uJu...eature=related she has pretty nice jumps.
    Last edited by pinky166; 04-13-2010 at 07:06 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by alchemy void View Post
    That is classic. Blind praise is right.
    I like Makarova but listening to Johnny go on and on about how much of a woman she was made me want for Helgesson to kick her butt.
    Because you never support your friends? How sad.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by REO View Post
    Because you never support your friends? How sad.
    No, because as a journalist you're supposed to try to remain as impartial as possible.

vCash
    I kind of did not get that. Johnny kept talking about how Ksenia was a woman but to me she doesn't look that different from the other skaters out there. I mean, yeah she's tall but it's not like she has a particularly womanly body or mature presence on the ice. She is a good skater, but in some ways she's still a bit juniorish, womanly wouldn't be a word I'd use to describe her.

vCash
    Roza is lovely; I've adored her skating since I saw videos from Crystal Skate last year.
    However, she's really inconsistent. But she does have a 3Lz and 3F without edge class.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by oleada View Post
    Roza is lovely; I've adored her skating since I saw videos from Crystal Skate last year.
    However, she's really inconsistent. But she does have a 3Lz and 3F without edge class.
    Yay, another Roza fan! She might surprise us and improve in the coming season, Anna was only 16th at Junior Nationals and now she's doing really well, Roza could have a similar breakthrough.

Most of the girls are pretty inconsistent so I think Roza can learn consistency in coming years along with the rest of them.

vCash
    Roza was 5th and 6th at her JGP events this year, so not a bad start.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    No, because as a journalist you're supposed to try to remain as impartial as possible.
    Oh yeah, like Hamilton and Bezic. I get it now.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by oleada View Post
    Roza was 5th and 6th at her JGP events this year, so not a bad start.
    Yeah! And she was 2nd in the SP at JGP Croatia. Hope she does even better in the coming season and makes it to the JGPF! Lol, watch ALL the entrants at the ladies JGPF be from Russia next year .

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by REO View Post
    Oh yeah, like Hamilton and Bezic. I get it now.
    Those two don't exactly set the bar high themselves. I think Makarova is lovely, but Johnny's constant and never-ending praise of her on Universal Sports was a bit much and OTT.

vCash
    Lol, watch ALL the entrants at the ladies JGPF be from Russia next year .
    It's not like the girls from the U.S. and Japan won't be competitive with them. I think you're underestimating the rest of the world. A lot can happen in the next 5 months.

vCash
    Yeah, I wouldn't count on that. I can see Adelina and Elizaveta making the final, but Zawadski & Imai are very strong, as are some of the more obskure Japanese girls.

I don't think the US field is as strong next year as year's past, but they are never to be underestimated (and the not quite old enough novices are very good). I think Angela Wang could do really well. She finished behind Siraj and Jiang, but she has all the triples. I hope she gets a JGP assignment.

vCash
    Russia has so many thin, beautiful ballerinas that I think some of the girls will remain slim..
    Yep, because they have almost fascist selection system in ballet schools.

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast