Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    vCash
    The challenge for some of these women will being established with the judges in time for 2014. Especialy Sotnikova and Tuktamysheva who arent eligible until the pre Olympic season. Then again the judges rewarded Asada and Kim right away, so there shouldnt be a problem come to think of it if these girls are good enough by then.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Willowway View Post
    Agree - does Mishin work on nothing but jumps? Because almost nothing else in her program has gotten much attention - terrible extension, leg positions, etc. and I don't blame her - she's the student. He's a world-class coach but appears to have only one interest even for the women if her posted youtube program is any indication.

Willowway
    Elizaveta has tremendous skating skills. Excellent edges and great speed accross the ice.

On another board, someone said they actually talked to Elizaveta's father (I believe) and he said that Elizaveta is not naturally flexible and its something they are working on, and its getting better. But I get the feeling she'll never be great at it. Her spirals though I think are better than what Yu-na's looked like when she debuted on the Senior circuit.

Searching for Sergei Verbillo's lost stache
    vCash
    at Lipnitskaya's flexibility!! She would be eligibile in 2018 but let's see if she will be affected by puberty in the next 4 years or so.

vCash
    Oh my goodness!

Julia's flexibility is almost freaky! Here's a video of her: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DI8Sc-wrYE. Gorgeous spin at 0:57!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    I can't believe Makarova may not even make Sochi even if she would be the only elegant lady among all the jumping bean girls.

She needs to get away from Johnny's team if she wants to improve her results. The overly Russian style with empty choreographies, boring music and absolute front-loading is going to kill her scores.
    Word. Makarova needs to move forward. She deserves much better than Johnny Weir programs.

Lipnitskaya is unbelievable... The timing on the jumps, wow. Puberty will be a big hit but with those skills, hopefully she'll survive it somehow.

vCash
    Julia Lipnitskaya is an incredible talent. Wow. Let's hope she develops well and doesn't get hit by the puberty monster. She looks like she has pretty solid basics, and her spins are really solid too. It will be fun watching her develop.

YEAH!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    Word. Makarova needs to move forward. She deserves much better than Johnny Weir programs.
    It's only her first senior season.

But Marco's comments did make me wonder, when she was skating for the US, did she have the same coaches and the same supposedly Russian style, and did she pick up anything that is more valued in the US? I'm thinking maybe that's why her spins and spirals are strong, it's such a focus in the US field.

vCash
    From the even younger set, I love Elena Radionova. She was born in 1999.

Elena Radionova LP
    Elena Radionova SP

She won that competition by something like 50 points. She's got amazing musicality and presentation for someone so young, and her jumps are big! She's got a 3T, 3S, 3Lo and 3Lz now.

Another promising junior is Daria Medvedeva. I think Mishin is one of her coaches, but I'm not 100% sure on that. She's had some really promising results this season, and beat Lipnitskaya at this competition. Unfortunately, since her birthday is 23.07.97, she's a few weeks to young for the upcoming JGP season:

Daria Medvedeva LP

vCash
    What happened to Katia's and Sergei's daughter Daria? How old is she now?

vCash
    What happened to Katia's and Sergei's daughter Daria? How old is she now?
    Wasn't she born in 1992?! She stopped to train a couple of years ago. I think she played volleyball and wanted to focus on school.
    Is Liza still skating?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Fallcolor View Post
    at Lipnitskaya's flexibility!! She would be eligibile in 2018 but let's see if she will be affected by puberty in the next 4 years or so.
    Julia is eligible for junior international events starting from 2011/2012 season, and for senior events starting from 2013/2014 (including Olympics), her birthday is on 5th of June 1998.
    Starting from May 2009 she's coached by Eteri Tutberidze, who's also coaching Polina Shelepen.
    Julia is extremely flexible by nature and liked to stretch by herself since she was a child, she never took rythmic gymnastics or anything for that. And best of all – she actually found all those crazy spin positions by herself, because it appeared more comfortable(!) to her, than classical ones! Recently she started to jump 3T–3T. Can be seen doing that with her coach on the video already mentionned above (second 3T is one quarter underrotated though) – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DI8Sc-wrYE

Daria Medvedeva is coached by Mishin, she's also one year older than Lipnitskaya. Lipnitskaya beat her in elements and SP, but then Daria skated the best LP of the whole season and won.
    Daria Grinkov is not skating anymore. Liza Kulik is skating and coached in CSKA school in Moscow, last year she started to jump doubles, however she's not noticed to take part in competitions yet. She will be 9 years old on 15 june 2010.
    Last edited by tkrm7778; 03-30-2010 at 12:25 PM.

vCash
    Ksenia Makarova was excellent at the Worlds, at least at the SP which I actually saw live. I am quite fond, and quite not of Alena Leonova as well -- her personality speaks against her, but she reminds me veeery slightly of a young Irina Slutskaya.

vCash
    For reference, here are the Russian Nationals Junior Ladies results from February 2010 [Senior Nationals results from Dec. 2009 in brackets]:

1 Polina AGAFONOVA SPB 166.71 2 2 [3rd in JGP GER; 10th in Sr., 130.17 13 8; 3rd at Jr. Worlds, 154.27 3 4]
    2 Anna OVCHAROVA MOS 163.87 8 1 [5th in JGP Final, 144.96 4 6; 5th in Sr., 157.53 5 5; 5th at Jr. Worlds, 147.52 1 8]
    3 Polina SHELEPEN MOS 159.34 10 3 [2nd in JGP Final, 159.29 1 2; did not compete Sr.; 4th at Jr. Worlds, 151.65 7 3]
    4 Elizaveta TUKTAMISHEVA SPB 159.01 9 4 [3rd in Sr. 173.53 10 1]
    5 Julia LIPNITSKAYA MOS 155.50 5 5 [did not compete Sr.]
    6 Adelina SOTNIKOVA MOS 150.78 4 6 [4th in Sr., 172.69 3 4]
    7 Sofya BIRUKOVA MOS 149.70 3 7 [2nd in JGP TUR; 6th in Sr., 154.56 1 7]
    8 Maria ARTEMYEVA SPB 145.12 7 9 [4th in JGP CRO; 12th in Sr., 122.87 9 12]
    9 Kristina ZASEEVA MOS 144.42 1 12 [8th in Sr., 139.52 6 9]
    10 Polina KOROBEINIKOVA MOS 142.03 12 8
    11 Elena RADIONOVA MOS 131.38 18 10
    12 Valeria KACHALINA SPB 130.82 11 14
    13 Darya MEDVEDEVA SPB 130.81 6 16
    14 Ekaterina FROLOVA MOS 130.16 15 11
    15 Maria STAVITSKAYA SPB 125.27 14 13
    16 Roza SHEVELEVA MOB 122.92 13 15 (6th in JGP Lake Placid, 5th in JGP CRO)
    17 Anna SHERSHAK MOS 110.81 16 17
    18 Darya AFANASYEVA TOL 109.48 17 18
    19 Maria SHAROVA SAR 94.13 19 19

As Lanna mentioned on the previous page, both Elizaveta Tuktamisheva and Adelina Sotnikova finally will be JGP age-eligible in the coming season.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 03-31-2010 at 05:49 PM. Reason: To correct Agafonova's Jr. Worlds placement (thanks, oleada!) & add some JGP/JGP Final results

vCash
    Small correction, Sylvia - Agafonova was 3rd at Junior Worlds, not 4th.

I know I mentioned Medvedeva, but I wanted to add that she has a clean 3Lz and 3F with no edge calls.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tkrm7778 View Post
    Liza Kulik is skating and coached in CSKA school in Moscow
    Doesn't she live in the US?

vCash
    Liza Kulik is skating and coached in CSKA school in Moscow, last year she started to jump doubles, however she's not noticed to take part in competitions yet.
    That's not quite accurate. Liza attended CSKA for a few months while she was in Moscow with Katia during the autumn of 2008 - it was temporary and she returned home at Christmas time that year. Ilia said afterward that it was a great experience for her to train for a while where lots of up-and-coming skaters train - to see the levels of everyone else - she was very inspired by the whole experience.

Liza lives and skates at home in Southern California with her parents and is coached by both Ilia and Katia. Ilia commented about a year ago (when Liza was 7) at a Krew breakfast that she had all her double jumps (but the double axel of course) and that her edge jumps were quite good in form (he smiled like a proud Papa!). Where she is today in terms of development, don't know, but she is training with her parents daily.

I saw her briefly during the rehearsals for Scott's show in Cleveland months back and she was using a little quiet time on the ice to work on the edges of her spreadeagles - she was doing nicely. Ilia said that she might do a few small, local competitions in California this season. She passed her Preliminary test (USFSA) about a year ago - I don't know if she has tested beyond that. As said above, she is 8 now, will be 9 in June.

As Ilia has often said, they will give her every support they can if she is passionate about pursuing skating which she is up to this point. If she really loses interest, then she is free to move on. They didn't insist that Daria choose skating and they won't make that decision for Liza either, The drive to skate must come from the child and they want their girls to be happy, fulfilled people above all things.

Willowway
    Last edited by Willowway; 03-31-2010 at 09:27 PM.

vCash
    Just IMHO, at the "Zhuk Memorial" several people liked this 9 year old girl. She is no Elena Radionova (yet?), and she's not jumping triples yet, but she has great expression on ice and she has "something" in my opinion. She's training in Sankt-Petersbourg at the Figure Skating Academie, her coach is Svetlana Franzusova.

Ekaterina Vysotina:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ani2tCyehEs

vCash
    I can't believe Makarova may not even make Sochi even if she would be the only elegant lady among all the jumping bean girls.

She needs to get away from Johnny's team if she wants to improve her results. The overly Russian style with empty choreographies, boring music and absolute front-loading is going to kill her scores.
    According to Weir in "The Loft" Ksenia is jumping 3lz/3t in practices, but has not yet put them in her programs. So I think she is looking to improve!

In another thread it was said that Weir noted Galina is the one that watered down his transitions and choreography. If true, the real question is if she likes less choreography because her students can't skate clean otherwise. If so, then maybe she will add more as when they can handle it.

vCash
    3lz+3t? But she hasn't had a solo 3lz in her program?!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by oleada View Post
    3lz+3t? But she hasn't had a solo 3lz in her program?!
    Yep that's what he said. He mentioned the 3lz is a new jump this year as was the flip last year.

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast