Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Kachalina is born 8 July 1996, so 13 y. o. now. She is also from the Mishin's group.

vCash
    I'll just never forget Oblasova and Basova's last Euros.

They were uhhhmmm... very social during the skaters' party and it was very obvious by then this has been far more important than their skating (which by then has deteriorated very badly).

Let's pray this won't turn out to be the case with most of the young girls.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post

They were uhhhmmm... very social during the skaters' party and it was very obvious by then this has been far more important than their skating (which by then has deteriorated very badly).

Who are these girls and what exactly happened to them?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pinky166 View Post
    Who are these girls and what exactly happened to them?
    Oblasova was Junior World Champion.

They were both very promising but at some point in their teenage years, they focused on various "off-ice activies" more and less on training.

Both had disastrous performances at 2004 Euros and quit after that season, IIRC.

vCash
    Didn't Basova go out with Plushenko?

vCash
    Oblasova was Junior World Champion.

They were both very promising but at some point in their teenage years, they focused on various "off-ice activies" more and less on training.

Both had disastrous performances at 2004 Euros and quit after that season, IIRC.
    Well, the part about going from a champion quality skater to a flop is not really too surprising - we've seen that all too many times in this sport - Kimmie Meissner, Emily Hughes, Caroline Zhang, Alexe Gilles, Bebe Liang, and for awhile it looked like Mao Asada and Mirai Nagasu (both who had successful comebacks just this season, or for Mao, the second part of the season). It's called puberty "monster" for a reason, and part of the monster-y nature of puberty is not only the physical changes but also the emotional ones. Some girls become boy crazy, rebellious, shopaholics, and junk-food junkies as teenagers while others stay sheltered, focused and disciplined, it just depends on the person. Likely some of these Russian babies will ditch their ice skates for boys and parties, but my guess is the really good ones now will stick with skating as they have already learned discipline. Plus, it wouldn't neccessarily be a bad thing if a few of these girls gave up skating, there are way too many of them that are so good that they should get to compete internationally but won't get the chance to because of the stiff competition due to numbers.

vCash
    Thanks for the links. I am excited that Russia has such talented ladies that might compete in Sochi in 2014.

vCash
    I just love this girl http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ani2tCyehEs
    Katia Vysotina, 10 y.o. from St.Pete. Video was made during Novice Nationals in Kazan in the end of March, 2010.

vCash
    And some backstage pics made by FSO member grotsasha during recent Moscow figure skaters show with Radionova, Lipnitskaya, Ovcharova, Shelepen and Ilinykh http://picasaweb.google.com/grotsasha/2010#

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Fashionista View Post
    I just love this girl http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ani2tCyehEs
    Katia Vysotina, 10 y.o. from St.Pete. Video was made during Novice Nationals in Kazan in the end of March, 2010.
    Awww, she is lovely! Nice musicality, very fun to watch! If she will have the triples definately be one to watch! And I looove her layback spin

vCash

Oblassova was a wet dream. She's 26 this year! Jammiest World Junior Champ ever.....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Autumn_girl View Post
    There are about 10 or even more promising girls for Sochi:
    Elizaveta Tuktamysheva
    Adelina Sotnikova
    Julia Lipnitskaya
    Polina Shelepen
    Polina Agafonova
    Anna Ovcharova
    Sofya Biryukova (already 15 and still has her jumps)
    Darya Medvedeva
    Kristina Zaseeva
    Nikol Gosviani
    Rosa Sheveleva

11 Plus Darya Afanasieva who is not that strong yet, but has 3T-3T, and maybe Alexandra Deeva. And more to come (Elena Radionova, Alsu Kayumova are too young for Sochi, but really strong). Even if most of them will be hurt by puberty, 2-3 should stay and that's will be enough. I think it will be Liza (her good technique will help her) and I hope it will be Julia, she is simply amazing
    To think....Doronina was good enough to win a Russian title recently.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by poths View Post
    It was 2 years ago actually when these girls were about 10-11 y.o. and didn't compete at senior Nationals (except Tuktamysheva). And even then Tuktamysheva got the higher technical score in the FS than Doronina

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Fashionista View Post
    And some backstage pics made by FSO member grotsasha during recent Moscow figure skaters show with Radionova, Lipnitskaya, Ovcharova, Shelepen and Ilinykh http://picasaweb.google.com/grotsasha/2010#
    Goodness Shelepen looks taller and skinner than ever! How tall is she now? Every time I see that girl skate her legs get longer and longer, she's probably Kostner height by now or will end up Kostner height once she finishes growing. Might hurt her jumps though, those tall girls often have jump consistency issues.

In the mountains, where hippies and hillbillies collide!
    vCash
    Oblassova was a wet dream. She's 26 this year! Jammiest World Junior Champ ever.....
    PMFL

ITA

vCash
    And then she went to Euros where she received PCS in the 3s.

vCash
    Goodness Shelepen looks taller and skinner than ever! How tall is she now? Every time I see that girl skate her legs get longer and longer, she's probably Kostner height by now or will end up Kostner height once she finishes growing. Might hurt her jumps though, those tall girls often have jump consistency issues.
    She is about 160 cm, Ovcharova and Sotnikova are the same height. Polina is not too tall, but she is thin and has long legs, so she looks taller

Banned Member
    vCash
    Way too many up and coming Russian female skaters. How are they all so good? This is just like beyond ridiculous
    Here is an answer for you, when you look at this little alike Totmyanina girl. She even has Totmyanina/Mukhortova costume.

Aleksandrova
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGG6VTFpPrg

Lets not forget Russia has great champions like Berezhnaya, Totmyanina, Navka, Domnina, Butirskaya, Sluskaya, Gorgeeva and so on. Russian girls can always look at one of them as a great example.
    Last edited by Markulliz; 05-03-2010 at 07:22 PM.
    ==" Evgeni Plushenko is 2006 Olympic Champion, 2002,2010 Olympic silver medalist in figure skating and will compete in Sochi 2014 "==

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Autumn_girl View Post
    She is about 160 cm, Ovcharova and Sotnikova are the same height. Polina is not too tall, but she is thin and has long legs, so she looks taller
    Oh okay, even if she grows a couple more inches she will still be a good height for skating, lots of the top ladies seem to be in the 160-165 cm range. I thought all of them were taller than that (160 cm is like 5'3" right?) but likely it's just because of the long thin legs and then ice skates add like 3-4 inches. I wonder if it means Shelepen, Ovcharova, and Sotnikova will end up being quite tall though, Mao and Yuna who are both around 5'4"-5'5" were only around 5'0"-5'1" when they were 14, so if those girls grow 3-5 more inches it means they'll end up in the 5'6"-5'8" range which is pretty huge for a figure skater.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Markulliz View Post
    Here is an answer for you, when you look at this little alike Totmyanina girl. She even has Totmyanina/Mukhortova costume.

Aleksandrova
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGG6VTFpPrg
    Oh, wow, this girl is really good too! She is about 9-10 years old, right? As well as Katya Visotina. I think we can expect to see more impressive young skaters in the next few years when girls like them will learn triples. Last year Lipnitskaya also had only doubles.

Oh okay, even if she grows a couple more inches she will still be a good height for skating, lots of the top ladies seem to be in the 160-165 cm range. I thought all of them were taller than that (160 cm is like 5'3" right?) but likely it's just because of the long thin legs and then ice skates add like 3-4 inches. I wonder if it means Shelepen, Ovcharova, and Sotnikova will end up being quite tall though, Mao and Yuna who are both around 5'4"-5'5" were only around 5'0"-5'1" when they were 14, so if those girls grow 3-5 more inches it means they'll end up in the 5'6"-5'8" range which is pretty huge for a figure skater.
    It's hard to tell now if they will grow a lot or not. For example, my friend was about 160 cm (yes, it's like 5'3"), 10 cm taller than me, when we both were 13-14 y.o. And now, almost 10 years later, we are the same height, 163-165 cm.

Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast