Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
    Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pinky166 View Post
    Oh and apparently Shelepen, Ovcharova, and Agafonova are all staying junior for next season,
    Quote Originally Posted by oleada View Post
    Where did you hear that?
    This is according to a post by SUN at the Golden Skate forum today (SUN also posts here at FSU) -- the exact quote is: "Regarding the RUS ladies I heard that Agafonova, Shelepen, Ovcharova will stay Junior."
    ETA: Here's the link to SUN's full post in the Grand Prix 2010-11 Pre-announcement thread in Kiss and Cry: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...5&postcount=33
    Last edited by Sylvia; 04-27-2010 at 01:31 AM.

vCash
    That's not a bad move for any of those girls, as they could all certainly use some more seasoning, either artistically or technically or both. But it's going to be a crowded JGP team for Russia.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by oleada View Post
    That's not a bad move for any of those girls, as they could all certainly use some more seasoning, either artistically or technically or both. But it's going to be a crowded JGP team for Russia.
    I agree it's probably a smart move, the only thing is that it looks like it will be tough to make the JGPF in the coming season. The US has Zawadzki, Baga, and likely Siraj, Cesario, and Jiang and then Russia will have the two Polinas, Anna, Liza, Adelina, Sofya and Roza (Russia has 14 spots for ladies right? so 7 skaters if they each get 2 assignments). So that's 12 really good skaters right there not including any surprise stars we make see, and only room for 8 at the final, gosh the JGP might be more exciting than the SGP in the coming season!

Where Anna and Polina have already made the JGPF this season, I imagine it would be upsetting if they didn't make it next season (I still think they both can and likely will), but who knows what will happen with the depth of the field.

vCash
    Just because these Russian girls stay for the JGP doesn't mean (if they are old enough) they can't go to Euros and Worlds in the second half of the season right? It's probably easier for them to grab ISU ranking points via JGP anyways.

I forget how many spots RUS has for Euros. But in any event if Leonova continues her struggles with consistency and if her programs next season aren't as charming as they are this season I hope RUS at least has options.

Looking forward to this sudden influx of RUS talent (although I have yet to see one or more with both the style/ package and the jumps/consistency). This past season has just been a preview I am sure. And don't forget the little girls from JPN whom we didn't get to see more of because JPN bombed Jr Worlds in the 2009 season. But with Murakami winning Jr Worlds this past season we are going to be seeing quite a lot of young talents from JPN too.

vCash
    I'm excited to see Karen Kemanai do her JGP debut.

I think Sofia Biryukova could really compete for one of the 2 Euros spots, if she can skate clean and up to her potential. All the triples + a consistent 3t+3t + better style than Leonova (IMO) could mean good things for her.

vCash
    For 2011 Euros Russia has 2 spots for men and ladies and three spots each for pairs and dance.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by caseyedwards View Post
    For 2011 Euros Russia has 2 spots for men and ladies and three spots each for pairs and dance.
    Yes, and Shelepen, Ovcharova, and Agafonova won't be eligible for Worlds and Euros until the 2011-2012 season. By isu standards, those three are the same age because Shelepen misses the cutoff by 28 days. Ksenia could go to Euros, Olympics and Words because she is 17, technically she was old enough to compete at those competitions during the 2008-2009 season but she competed as a junior that season and the beginning of this season. Only Birukova is age eligible to go to Euros and Worlds in the coming season, which as someone pointed out she has a decent shot to make those teams.

Adelina has the style/artistry and jumps and used to be consistent until recently so she is closest to the full package right now, if she stops trying for those crazy 3-3lo combinations then she will likely fall less. In any event it seems like there aren't enough JGP spots for Russian ladies in the coming season, they get what 14?, and they have many more than 7 ladies who are more than qualified to compete on the JGP.

vCash
    I'm sure at least one of them will move up, there are too many girls who can skate on the JGP and qualify to the final and only Makarova and Leonova on the SGP.
    As for Sofya, I don't think she will beat Alena at Nationals. Alena had injury, then was ill and coudn't train, this is the main reason she struggled later in the season, but next year I'm sure she will be stronger, she is working on 3F-3T now. As I said before, Anna had problems with her LP whole season, but with Sofya it's even worse. She didn't skate even one clean LP in the season! I think she needs more experience to compete for the Euros and Worlds spot

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Autumn_girl View Post
    I'm sure at least one of them will move up, there are too many girls who can skate on the JGP and qualify to the final and only Makarova and Leonova on the SGP.
    As for Sofya, I don't think she will beat Alena at Nationals. Alena had injury, then was ill and coudn't train, this is the main reason she struggled later in the season, but next year I'm sure she will be stronger, she is working on 3F-3T now. As I said before, Anna had problems with her LP whole season, but with Sofya it's even worse. She didn't skate even one clean LP in the season! I think she needs more experience to compete for the Euros and Worlds spot
    True, I think i'm just not that fond of Leonova's skating because she is sloppy, but she is good at landing her triples most of the time. I don't know anything officially about JGP/SGP but on Goldenskate someone said they had heard that the two Polinas and Anna were going to stay junior another season, but they listed no reference/link.

Also, because they will not be age eligible for Worlds or Euros, they could skate on the SGP and then compete at Junior Nationals and try to go to Junior Worlds again and I guess that in a sense would still be considered "staying junior". IIRC, Mao in 05-06 competed on the SGP and then went to Jr Worlds because she was not old enough to go to the Olympics or Worlds, and Caroline Zhang in 07-08 also did SGP and then was sent to Junior Worlds b/c she was not old enough for senior worlds and was only 4th at nationals. So I guess some skaters do a halfway year where they compete partially as a senior and partially as a junior, which may be what was meant when SUN at GS said they will stay junior.

I would think at least Shelepen would compete on the SGP where she won just about everything on the JGP, Agafonova didn't make the final so I understand why she might want to do another season on the JGP, Anna has already gone to the JGPF but maybe her goal is to medal there so she can garauntee herself a spot on the SGP so then she will be more likely to get 2 assignments in the next season. If they do all stay on the JGP though, it probably means other girls won't get a chance to get any assignments, or may just get one because those three are at the top of the pecking order for getting assignments and may bump skaters like Roza or Kristina from getting assignments.

Doesn't Russia have a meeting where they decide the assignments and figure out who goes where? I think the meeting for the USFSA deciding the Team Envelops and JGP assignments is this week, and then SGP assignments come out in more like May or June. So if Russia is on a similar schedule, we should know soon right?

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    I think the meeting for the USFSA deciding the Team Envelops and JGP assignments is this week,
    No, the initial U.S. JGP assignments won't be determined until sometime next month, from what I've heard. Last year, the initial list of U.S. JGP athletes selected (not actual assignments) was published online in June, AFTER the Senior GP assignments were published. The SGP selection meeting is taking place around 2 weeks later this year, before the ISU Congress in mid-June.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 04-27-2010 at 04:09 PM.

Banned Member
    vCash
    Wow Afanasieva and Agafonova really great, but Lipniskaya, Adelina and Liza are even better
    ==" Evgeni Plushenko is 2006 Olympic Champion, 2002,2010 Olympic silver medalist in figure skating and will compete in Sochi 2014 "==

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    No, the initial U.S. JGP assignments won't be determined until sometime next month, from what I've heard. Last year, the initial list of U.S. JGP athletes selected (not actual assignments) was published online in June, AFTER the Senior GP assignments were published. The SGP selection meeting is taking place around 2 weeks later this year, before the ISU Congress in mid-June.
    Oh ok. But the USA team envelopes I do think are coming out in a few days still, it's always been in April in the past. It's just crazy to think about how Russia was the highest placing country in the ladies event at Junior Worlds and got the max number of JGP spots and they STILL don't have enough to accomadate all the skaters that deserve to go, that is so intense! It might be easier to make the senior GPF than the JGPF next season !

I wonder if Shelepen will ditch the gaudy unitards in the coming season , she's such a pretty girl and yet she always seems to wear bright, funny-looking unitards for her programs. I'm sad she ditched the red dress this season, that was such a nice costume for her.

vCash
    I wonder if Shelepen will ditch the gaudy unitards in the coming season , she's such a pretty girl and yet she always seems to wear bright, funny-looking unitards for her programs. I'm sad she ditched the red dress this season, that was such a nice costume for her.
    I've heard that Morozov is going to work with Shelepen and Linitskaya. But not sure.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Eris View Post
    I've heard that Morozov is going to work with Shelepen and Linitskaya. But not sure.
    Meaning we are likely in for more gaudy costumes and arm flailing choreography .....can't wait ! I wonder if Anna and Adelina will go to him too where they both live in Moscow, they seem to have pretty good choreography already though.

vCash
    Thank you all the posters who taught me about Liza.

I was a bit surprised to know that :

First of all, Mishin is not a full-time coach as some people may think. He is only a consultant for all of his students (including Plushenko), there are another coaches and choreographers in his group.
    I read the Yagudin's autobiography "Overcome" before. I remember he said that Mishin was a coach who wanted to control every little bite of his high-potential students.
    Maybe he has changed his way.

Quote Originally Posted by bek View Post
    I actually think Liza has a good sense of music-for her age.
    I, too, think Liza is musical enough for her age and hope her choreographer will make her beautiful programs next season.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ali_dorate View Post
    Thank you all the posters who taught me about Liza.

I was a bit surprised to know that :

I read the Yagudin's autobiography "Overcome" before. I remember he said that Mishin was a coach who wanted to control every little bite of his high-potential students.

I, too, think Liza is musical enough for her age and hope her choreographer will make her beautiful programs next season.
    Liza does not live in St. Petersburg so obviously she could not work with Mishin full time even if he was a full time coach. As for Liza, she is extremely talented, but if people think Sofya and Anna's inconsistency is a problem, Liza's is no better. Didn't Roza Sheleva beat her in a competition recently? And she fell twice in her SP at Russian Nationals, and was only 4th at Junior Nationals despite being to most talented skater there with the most technically difficult program planned. Hope she can get it together in time for the JGP, she is capable of easily winning the JGPF she just needs to get there first, and where the field is going to be so strong next season, it's gonna be a lot harder to qualify. The only Russian junior lady that is even somewhat consistent is Shelepen, the rest (Agafonova, Ovcharova, Birukova, Sotnikova, Sheveleva, Tuktamsheva) are all quite unpredictable. It's a shame too because almost all of them can be better skaters than Shelepen if they skate well.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ali_dorate View Post
    Yes, he was a full-time coach, but he is not anymore, now he is a consultant. For example, when Katarina Gerboldt was in his group in her ISU biography was listed Mishin as a coach, but most of the time Tatyana Mishina worked with her and Mishin only helped them.

. The only Russian junior lady that is even somewhat consistent is Shelepen, the rest (Agafonova, Ovcharova, Birukova, Sotnikova, Sheveleva, Tuktamsheva) are all quite unpredictable. It's a shame too because almost all of them can be better skaters than Shelepen if they skate well.
    The same can be said about most of the junior ladies in the World and about some seniors. It's hard to be in a good shape whole season and these girls are all too young, don't have experience yet and growing a lot. It will come with time
    Last edited by Autumn_girl; 04-28-2010 at 06:34 AM.

vCash
    Yes, he was a full-time coach, but he is not anymore, now he is a consultant. For example, when Katarina Gerboldt was in his group in her ISU biography was listed Mishin as a coach, but most of the time Tatyana Mishina worked with her and Mishin only helped them.

The same can be said about most of the junior ladies in the World and about some seniors. It's hard to be in a good shape whole season and these girls are all too young, don't have experience yet and growing a lot. It will come with time
    I certainly hope so, but realistically there is a chance they may become the Carolina Kostner's and Alissa Czisny's of the next quad. For the most part though, these Russian girls seem feisty and ready to attack no matter what, so I tend to think they will learn how to be good competitors with more time, or at least always go for it. One thing I notice among the Russian girls, they may fall a lot but very rarely do any of them pop or double jumps, which is good to see because it means they are attacking their programs and trying to get as many points as possible. So there is a lot of hope for them. I know Agafonova and Ovcharova have both had a fair share of downgrades this season but they both keep plugging away and doing the hard jumps in their programs and as a result they are both doing better, much less downgrades for both girls recently.

vCash
    Very promising 12 y.o. girl with clean 3T-3T, Darya Afanasieva. Her LP from Crystal skate where she was 2nd (behind Darya Medvedeva)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOBGzJ3tNL4
    I like her arms and musicality, she is a bit slow, but I think it can be improved

vCash
    Very promising 12 y.o. girl with clean 3T-3T, Darya Afanasieva. Her LP from Crystal skate where she was 2nd (behind Darya Medvedeva)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOBGzJ3tNL4
    I like her arms and musicality, she is a bit slow, but I think it can be improved
    Way too many up and coming Russian female skaters. How are they all so good? This is just like beyond ridiculous

Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast