Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

vCash

Wedding cake recipe?

Two good friends of mine are getting married and I offered to bake the wedding cake as I love them both a lot and want to do something special.

I can sorta bake. Not great but I get by. But I am no expert.

Do you have any recipes for a multi-layered wedding cake which is delicious and pretty and doable?

I saw some reviews for carrot cakes as wedding cakes. Isn't that a bit soft for several layers?

Ideally, I would love if it were different cakes for each layer. Like a chocolate cake on the bottom and a carrot cake as the second layer and a third one on top or so.
    Is that a good idea or should I better stay with one taste?

And I would love to put them on top of each other and not use pedestals for each layer.

I am grateful for any tips!

vCash
    Lemon pound cake holds up really well for a wedding cake and will cut easily and cleanly if you want thinner layers. You need something that you can bake several days ahead and that will still retain it's inner moisture. In order to decorate properly, the outside of each layer should have had a chance to dry a bit.

I've never seen a cake with different flavors that wasn't separated with risers. I guess I just assume it's one flavor if it's stacked.
    AceOn6, the golf loving skating fan

vCash
    Check out this website for TONS of ideas. It can get addicting looking through all of those photos. Also, there is a forum and recipe section where you can find recipes for all kinds of cakes/fillings/icing. Good luck!

vCash
    I had a delicious Apricot & Raisin cake for my wedding. It was a vanilla cream cheese based batter with dried apricots and sultana raisins in the batter. It was so YUMMY!!
    I'm not spoiled...I deserve all my stuff.

vCash
    I had a deliciously rich cheesecake for my wedding. It was sturdy enough to hold multiple layers and lots of real flowers.

vCash
    If you're going to have tiers to the cake, you'll need some sort of support system, or the top layer will sink through the bottom layer. It may not seem like it, but cakes can get quite heavy once they're all frosted and decorated.

Most bakers use wooden dowels cut to the same height as the bottom layer, and thin cake boards to support the bottom of the upper layer. The link Stefanie posted has an article re: layer building.

But I do like the idea of different flavors for each tier. Some people don't like white cake, some don't like chocolate, etc., so letting people choose what they want is a good idea.

Good luck with this!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aceon6 View Post

I've never seen a cake with different flavors that wasn't separated with risers. I guess I just assume it's one flavor if it's stacked.
    My wedding cake was four stacked layers, and each was a different flavour. We - and our guests! - loved it! There was something everyone liked.

vCash
    The Cake Bible (Rose Levy Beranbaum) has chapter and verse on everything you might ever need to know about baking cakes, including many wedding cakes, as well as decorating them.

Some of the actual decoration patterns are too complex unless you're already pretty experienced, but I've had really good luck with her actual recipes -- she's very, very careful, and there are plenty of tips on preparing parts ahead of time. Remember that you've got to get the cake moved to the reception location, and that if it is warm (and your cake is outside) you can have problems with things wiggling around (or down) because the frosting gets too soft. She's got suggestions for those kinds of things.

vCash
    Thanks for all the tips, guys!

The websites are a great starting point.

I found that many recipes had instructions like: "Use one mix of yellow cake mix"
    Is that the norm in North America to have cake mix and then add the rest? That would make life easier for me when I wanna bake different layers but we don't have that here.

Yes, the transportation might be a problem, especially as I would love to make a really HUGE cake.
    I have to ponder this...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hedwig View Post
    I found that many recipes had instructions like: "Use one mix of yellow cake mix"
    Is that the norm in North America to have cake mix and then add the rest? That would make life easier for me when I wanna bake different layers but we don't have that here.
    I'm not sure if it's the norm, but as you implied, it's the easier way of doing it. It is helpful to not have to measure and sift all of the flour, sugar, etc., but I still prefer to make a cake from scratch when I can. However, you can add the flavorings and such to a cake mix.

Stupid question, but do they sell cake mixes in Europe? (I've never had to go looking for them when I've been in European grocery stores )

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    at the thought of making a wedding cake with a mix (I will readily admit that I am a bake-from-scratch snob)

Hedwig - whatever you decide to do, I will advise you - MAKE A TEST CAKE way before the wedding. If you want to go crazy with layers, test out the layering technique as well. This way you can see ahead of time if something isn't working or is more ambitious than you're set up to handle, or if you just don't like the recipe. Even experienced bakers often do this, and you can make a fun party of it.

Have fun (and what a nice present for your friends )
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Stefanie View Post

Stupid question, but do they sell cake mixes in Europe? (I've never had to go looking for them when I've been in European grocery stores )
    There are cake mixes but I have never seen them used in a recipe for another cake. I think they are just not that common.
    And they are often for more complicated cakes anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by genevieve View Post
    at the thought of making a wedding cake with a mix (I will readily admit that I am a bake-from-scratch snob)

Hedwig - whatever you decide to do, I will advise you - MAKE A TEST CAKE way before the wedding. If you want to go crazy with layers, test out the layering technique as well. This way you can see ahead of time if something isn't working or is more ambitious than you're set up to handle, or if you just don't like the recipe. Even experienced bakers often do this, and you can make a fun party of it.

Have fun (and what a nice present for your friends )
    That is a good tip.

Cake party at my home? FSUers all welcome.

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    I'm there
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hedwig View Post
    There are cake mixes but I have never seen them used in a recipe for another cake. I think they are just not that common.
    Us Americans and our shortcuts...er...laziness.

vCash
    Just out of curiosity, since I haven't been to a wedding or shower in about 6 or 7 years, do people actually eat all that fondant that covers cakes nowadays? Years ago I used to decorate cakes but I mostly used a buttercream icing. It seems from looking at those pictures and watching the occasional cake show on TV that people spend a lot more time doing the decorating than they do on the cake. And yet most of my friends will scrape off most of the icing and eat just the cake.

My background dictated a heavy fruitcake, like Christmas cake to be used for weddings. At least they held up the layers!

Duck Hunter
    vCash
    Yeah I don't particularly like the taste of fondant but I loooooove the look of it! It's so much cleaner.

But then I'm awful at icing cakes, when I made my niece's birthday cake my boyfriend had to step in and finish icing it cause I was ready to throw the stupid cake out the window

vCash
    I'll eat a little of the fondant, but it's not the tastiest thing in the world. But I agree with bobalina... the look it gives to a cake is more preferable than one with buttercream.

vCash
    I made a traditional fruit cake for my wedding (included rum). I had a blast making it, except I didn't realize that i was only supposed to douse the fruit cake with a little bit of rum and let it sit in the cheesecloth. I kept pouring the rum on there and went through 26 oz.

Everyone loved the cake though...lmao!
    ~I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it.~ (Charles R. Swindoll)

vCash
    What about tiered cupcakes? It would be easier to do different flavors, you don't have to fool with cutting and icing, and it's easy to serve. I went to a wedding recently that did this, and it was really nice.
    "The practice of sport is a human right. Every individual must have the possibility of practicing sport, without discrimination of any kind and in the Olympic spirit, which requires mutual understanding with a spirit of friendship, solidarity and fair play." –Olympic Charter

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nerdycool View Post
    I'll eat a little of the fondant, but it's not the tastiest thing in the world. But I agree with bobalina... the look it gives to a cake is more preferable than one with buttercream.
    I've had homemade fondant before and I actually like it. However, I don't like the packaged stuff that Wilton has. But, obviously, it's a lot easier than spending the time to make your own. I can't imagine how long it would take to make your own and then dye it for the colors you need in your design.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast