Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Apple announces iPad

Anyone else see it yet? Very cool, but they still haven't announced a price.

vCash
    You know what? I kinda like the idea of pushing buttons... hehehe
    “Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.” William Shakespeare

vCash
    All I've heard about the price is it's more than the Wii, PS3 and Xbox combined. I'm watching the live feed on Engadget and I like what I'm seeing.

vCash
    http://www.cnet.com/apple-ipad/

There was also hope that he would announce the iPhone would no longer be exclusively tied to AT&T. Don't see news of that yet.

Re-registered User
    vCash
    I can't believe they called it that. The first reaction of my two daughters was "ewww" it sounds like a feminine hygiene product. (and there's a youtube for it- I'll link in a minute)

http://ow.ly/113FO

I pad. Bwah.
    ‎"You emerge victorious from the maze you've been travelling in." Oct 21,2012- Best Fortune Cookie Ever!

vCash
    My mac-loving other half says it looks like a large iphone. We then proceeded to imitate how it would work as such.
    "How you treat the weak is
    Your true nature calling" -- Jane's Addiction

vCash
    Apple IPad will start at $499 and will start shipping in 60 days.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rjblue View Post
    I can't believe they called it that. The first reaction of my two daughters was "ewww" it sounds like a feminine hygiene product.
    I have to admit, that was my first thought as well. And my second was "didn't they have any women on that design team -- or at least doing their marketing research?" My third thought was to try to come up with a name that used their rubric that didn't have the icky/squicky connotation. Hmm, iNote? Not very good, but definitely better than iPad, at least to my female ears.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    $499 is not bad but that is where it STARTS. Wonder how much the nice ones cost? I knew I should have bought stock in Apple.

I see how people think iPad sounds like a feminine hygiene product but to me it just sounds really similar to iPod and I don't think of anything else.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by genegri View Post
    Apple IPad will start at $499 and will start shipping in 60 days.
    Is that for "Regular" or "Light Days"? You know the "Maxi" version will cost considerably more.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    I see how people think iPad sounds like a feminine hygiene product but to me it just sounds really similar to iPod and I don't think of anything else.
    To women it definitely has resonance beyond "sounds similar to iPod". Wait for the jokes about it being prone to problems "at certain times of the month." It won't be very long, I'm sure.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by deltask8er View Post
    http://www.cnet.com/apple-ipad/

There was also hope that he would announce the iPhone would no longer be exclusively tied to AT&T. Don't see news of that yet.
    That probably won't happen for a while yet. The exclusivity contract won't expire until June. There has been speculation that AT&T will not be able to adequately serve the 4G. They have been talking to Verizon, which is the largest network and is doing major system upgrading for it's Droid google phones. When apple first introduced the iPhone they offered the exclusive contract to Verizon first. They could not agree on V-Cast/iTunes issues, and Verizon wanted equipment rights to the phone, which apple would not agree to. Apparently, they have been talking compromise, but it will probably be a year before anything is announced or happens. Now, this could all be wrong , but my inside informant tells me this is where it's at.

It couldn't happen fast enough for me, I so want an iPhone, but AT&T is not good in this area. I have the new Motorola Droid. It's fun and I like it, but I need an apple product!

The iPad looks pretty cool, sort of a Kindle/iPod touch all in one. It's up on the apple site - price: $499. http://www.apple.com/ipad/
    I think it will come down. Like the iPhone dropped a few months after it was introduced. So, will it be worth it? What is a Kindle, $259? Will the iPad do enough more to justify the price? And will you have to get it through a cell server and what kind of data plan would it involve?

vCash
    I'm reading between the lines that the ATT "no contract" and fairly reasonable rates for the iPad were concessions to Apple in the hopes of keeping exclusivity through 2010. Stay tuned.

eta. T-Mobile is in play as well as they can support the current versions of the iPhone. Verizon is on a totally different network.
    AceOn6, the golf loving skating fan

vCash
    Only $829 for the highest end model (64gig with wifi 3g network). For all the devices it replaces and IMPROVES (kindle, ipod touch, netbook, etc.) that's a damn good price. Even I'm tempted and I haven't purchased an iPhone and am running an iPod Classic. I'll wait for 2nd generation though - let them work out the kinks first.

I find all the iPad jokes kinda juvenile. We're adults people.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by uyeahu View Post
    Only $829 for the highest end model (64gig with wifi 3g network). For all the devices it replaces and IMPROVES (kindle, ipod touch, netbook, etc.) that's a damn good price. Even I'm tempted and I haven't purchased an iPhone and am running an iPod Classic. I'll wait for 2nd generation though - let them work out the kinks first.

I find all the iPad jokes kinda juvenile. We're adults people.
    Most of us are ... in theory. I can't help my neural connections -- iPad brings along a whole stream of images for me. I guess I could keep them to myself -- if I weren't so juvenile/senile. Anyway, at that price I may well buy one -- since I don't have an iPhone (or any kind of smart phone) or even an iPod, much less a netbook. Waiting for the 2nd generation is almost always a good plan. Even someone with a juvenile mind like mine, knows that much.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatingfan5 View Post
    Is that for "Regular" or "Light Days"? You know the "Maxi" version will cost considerably more.
    Oh my! I have so many good answers to this question! Too bad I am at work and using company network right now so I have to refrain myself.

I am very impatiently waiting for IPhone to work with Verizon. My entire team is on IPhone except me. But AT&T reception in our office building sucks so bad it regularly drops calls. My team members routinely come into my office (I have a window office) and stand by the window and yell into the phone. As much as I want an IPhone, I don't think it's that good that I will sacrifice service level.

Honestly, I don't quite understand the lure of IPhone. Sure, I myself am a major sucker for cute things and the IPhone is cute and that's why the shallow little me wants it badly. But I imagine most people are not as "form over function" as I am when it comes to gadgets, especially guys. The popularity of Iphone makes me go .

vCash
    I had the same thought when I first heard the name, but when I saw it in print with "Apple" before it, all thoughts except, "wow that looks cool!" disappeared from my brain. I would definitely consider buying one if I traveled a lot. I'll have to check it out at the Apple store nearby when it's in stock...

Yay, Apple!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by genegri View Post
    I am very impatiently waiting for IPhone to work with Verizon. My entire team is on IPhone except me. But AT&T reception in our office building sucks so bad it regularly drops calls. My team members routinely come into my office (I have a window office) and stand by the window and yell into the phone. As much as I want an IPhone, I don't think it's that good that I will sacrifice service level.
    That's the exact opposite situation as mine -- the company phones were all on a Verizon plan, but I didn't have one, just my personal phone (which was AT&T). We moved into a brand new, multi-million dollar building and for the first several weeks I couldn't figure out why I saw so many people (including top management) talking on their phones while standing out in the vestibule or near windows in the conference rooms, etc. The Verizon reception was so bad that they had to eventually get a new contract with AT&T. Meanwhile, I, in my windowless, lowly interior office never had a dropped call.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aceon6 View Post
    I'm reading between the lines that the ATT "no contract" and fairly reasonable rates for the iPad were concessions to Apple in the hopes of keeping exclusivity through 2010. Stay tuned.

eta. T-Mobile is in play as well as they can support the current versions of the iPhone. Verizon is on a totally different network.
    Yes, but Verizon is completely revamping their system. And from what I understand AT&T will have problems supporting the 4G version of iPhone. Verizon is working to provide for the 4G. The google phone is the first step. All I can say is that my Droid is FAST! My daughter and husband have Blackberrys. They go on the internet and I've opened 20 things in the time it takes them to open 1. I am guessing that the iPhone will not be better than the Droid, but it's Apple .

Count me in as one who will wait 6 months, possibly more and let my data plan phone be up for an "upgrade". then I'll transfer the data plan to the iPad and get a simple phone. I'll want to play at the apple store first.

Nothing juvenile intended, but I was hoping for iSlate. I like that better.

vCash
    iPad. Oy. I'm thinking that a man came up with that name, because a computer was not the first thing that I thought of when I heard it.

From a purely non-juvenile (or at least I'm trying), commercial perspective it's kind of surprising, considering how much money Apple puts into marketing, that they'd come up with that.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast