Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kirkbiggestfan View Post
    I went to the Evening with Champs website. Is the cast listed the one from last year? Anybody knows who may show up?
    This link will take you to the skater roster for this year's event.

http://www.hcs.harvard.edu/~ewc/performers.htm

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by literaryfreak View Post

I'm thinking D/W won't be at the NJ SOI show.
    I have a feeling you're right about that, even though they're still listed for it.

vCash
    I went to Ice Chips today. Very good show, entertaining, one of the better ones I have been to (and I have been to a LOT of Ice Chips!). Sometimes they drag a little, others fly by, this was probably the flyest yet for me.

Each group number was based on a country and had appropriate costumes and music to go with them. The Indian themed one was especially energetic and entertaining. I also liked Great Britain. The dresses were these punk tutu kind of things, jazzy.

Encore of Boston did an entertaining school-based number with sad kids in parachocial school outfits suddenly getting a jazzy teacher and having fun, with lots of props, of course. Especially impressive were several people jumproping while wearing skates. I am going to HAVE to try that! Though I may end up in hospital....

Donlon & Speroff were very good. I remember Gretchen as a lovely singles skater, great to see her doing so well in pairs.

My girlfriend had never seen Jason Wong skate, and from the minute he started stroking she was in love with his smoothness.

Ryan Bradley skated a modified version of his free program. Bless him for showing up despite his injury, but he did look a little bit in pain in both numbers. He went down hard right away (a quad toe?/triple toe?), but got back into it. He did amazing backflips in both numbers.

Davis & White did their Indian original dance. Even more amazing in person. I never get sick of this. The twizzles were perfect, as usual.

The synchro teams were all great, from preliminary up. I know nothing about synchro, but they all looked good to me.

In general, everyone skated pretty cleanly today, especially for a first show of three.

Ross Miner did a comedic program, totally rocked the house, that kid can entertain. His cantilever didn't hurt either, I have been amazed by that since I saw him in a club event when he was a tiny kid.

Stephen Carriere did something different for him, kind of a comedic number with props and stage makeup. I didn't recognize the song, but it was refreshing to see him not doing something "deep." He did some nice jumps, and even made a botched triple loop fun, brushing the ice with his hand as he fought to save it, smiling at the snow on his hand, and cheekily blowing it away and smiling, like "I meant to do that."

Castelli & Shnapir were reallly great. They relate so much as a team, you can really feel the teamwork, "two shall skate as one," Dickie. They also had some good show tricks, my girlfriend kept pinching me during the headbanger, she was scared.

Ryan Bradley's second number was Kung Foo Fighting, very entertaining, and he did some kind of hitch kicky jump that looked like martial arts and looked very difficult to do on skates. He visibly winced after the backflip, hope he is okay. I want him to stick around forever!

Davis & White closed the show with a slow version of Billie Jean and some nice non-competition-approved moves. The Ice Chips crowd always loves ice dance, never mind Olympic Silver worthy ice dance, so nice to see them in person.

In general it was nice to see the Missing Art Forms - split jumps, illusion spins, "normal" spirals, Ina Baeurs, an amazing shoot the duck with the boy leaning with his back parrallel to the ice (wish I could remember who did this), etc., some fun skating instead of "grab the blade, count, rinse, spit."

If you are on the fence, go, you will like it! And it's for a great cause as well and cheap ($20).

vCash
    Sounds great! Thanks for the report!
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

vCash
    Thanks for the report, Bonita! Sounds like it was a great show.

vCash
    I went this afternoon and agree with Bonita - great show.

Stephen C skated to 'Mr. Cellophane' from Chicago
    Jason Wong was great.
    Also impressive was Yasmin, can't recall her last name, junior skater, very promising.
    Castelli & Schnapir - very impressive, interesting moves.
    Bradley is quite the performer and a fav of the crow, he did a back flip at the end of his short program.

I went with a good friend and her sister. I will sit with my buddies sister anytime for skating. She is a music teacher and knows the names of all the music.
    We had lunch before the show and we were chatting about the Olys and music and especially common music. I made a comment about 'Requiem for a Dream' and they had not heard of it. Lo and behold one of the programs was to that music.

Title-less
    vCash
    What elements did Jason Wong do?

vCash
    Jason did a couple of double axels, I think, can't remember if he did/tried a triple. He did a huge and lovely spread eagle.

Title-less
    vCash
    Thanks.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smurfy View Post
    Also impressive was Yasmin, can't recall her last name, junior skater, very promising.
    Yasmin Siraj. She's the 2010 U.S. Junior silver medalist, age 13, and just won a silver medal in her international debut last weekend (Novice Ladies at Gardena Spring Trophy in Italy).

Thanks to everyone who has shared their reviews and impressions!

vCash
    Great photos!!

Fending off those velocity raptors inside the LHC...with a crossbow
    vCash
    This show was great, I am so happy I went. The little kids performing dances representing different countries were adorable beyond all belief. It made me think of a little kids' dance recital. There were little girls skating to Zorba the Greek, one with little boys in karate outfits skating to "Kung Fu Fighting" (I think this was the most adorable one, with little boys falling all over the place), and then a Mexican one where the girls' sombreros were bigger than them. I seriously considered buying a DVD of the event for all the kids' performances...and then saw it was $30.

My videos:

Ryan Bradley's Baroque LP (I was kinda chatty during this, sorry): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMRylKozBK0. Make sure to at least watch :42. I was too busy filming at the time to see what happened that everyone was gasping about.

D/W's Indian OD: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1NHfsfiSFI.

Part of Ryan Bradley's Kung Fu exh (I only got the first part of this, sorry, and I definitely missed one of the jumps while filming): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNY6l...eature=channel. You can see one or two of the little boys in karate outfits at around :37, which is why I go "ohh!" dying of cuteness in the vid).

D/W's Billie Jean exh: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLdmE...eature=channel

Oh and may I ask, is there any way we can still steal Jason Wong over to ice dance?

I enjoyed Stephen C's Mr. Cellophane too.

vCash

Another 35 Pages of Pictures

More pictures have been added from the Saturday afternoon performance
    http://rlk.smugmug.com/Sports/Figure...11792803_mvZAp

There are now approximately 775 pictures out there.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonita View Post
    an amazing shoot the duck with the boy leaning with his back parrallel to the ice (wish I could remember who did this)
    Found this picture and I thought of you, http://photography.ice-dance.com/201...935-DB.jpg.php . Amazing.

vCash
    That's the picture, thanks Tammi!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12