Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by stjeaskategym View Post
    I think that's a little harsh- they can do good throws. They were never going to have a big height disparity since he's somewhat short, but she's not tall either (and most likely done growing), so it works. Just because she's not a 14,15 year old scrawny kid doesn't mean they can't adjust, and I think they are doing well with that.

I really, really like McLaughlin/Brubaker, and as a Colorado skatefan I've been watching them live for years. My concern specifically on the throws was that when Keauna was smaller (height and weight) she and Rockne rarely, rarely missed a throw jump. In the past year of competition (not just Nationals) it has become very frequent. I don't think that's nerves. Maybe there is a technique adjustment, but they've been with two really good coaches, and if neither of them has been able to fix this then maybe it is just a really hard problem.

That's no ding against either of them personally, but it does make me wonder about the long-term success of the partnership. I think they're the absolute top US team we've had in a very long time from a presentation standpoint, and I'm so very sorry that they aren't going to Vancouver, but
    I hope they're evaluating the root cause of the problem so that they don't continue on like this for the next four years. They are both far too talented and gifted.

(*Note: Keauna is hyper-slim by anyone's standards, even more so when you see her in person. I am not IN THE LEAST suggesting that she's fat -- merely that she has added a couple of inches in height since they partnered up, and even with a really slim physique that inevitably adds both pounds and a change in the center of gravity.)

vCash
    Perhaps we should change this thread title to McBru Wonderings

vCash
    Canadian ice dance team Sophie Knippel/Benjamin Westenberger broke up; she's on icepartnersearch.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by distracted View Post
    Perhaps we should change this thread title to McBru Wonderings
    Sorry. I realize I'm not helping to keep it on topic, but I feel the need to reply.

Quote Originally Posted by barbk View Post
    I really, really like McLaughlin/Brubaker, and as a Colorado skatefan I've been watching them live for years. My concern specifically on the throws was that when Keauna was smaller (height and weight) she and Rockne rarely, rarely missed a throw jump. In the past year of competition (not just Nationals) it has become very frequent. I don't think that's nerves. Maybe there is a technique adjustment, but they've been with two really good coaches, and if neither of them has been able to fix this then maybe it is just a really hard problem.

That's no ding against either of them personally, but it does make me wonder about the long-term success of the partnership. I think they're the absolute top US team we've had in a very long time from a presentation standpoint, and I'm so very sorry that they aren't going to Vancouver, but
    I hope they're evaluating the root cause of the problem so that they don't continue on like this for the next four years. They are both far too talented and gifted.

(*Note: Keauna is hyper-slim by anyone's standards, even more so when you see her in person. I am not IN THE LEAST suggesting that she's fat -- merely that she has added a couple of inches in height since they partnered up, and even with a really slim physique that inevitably adds both pounds and a change in the center of gravity.)
    I don't think it's true that they used to "rarely miss throws" in competition. They've only been competing about 4 seasons now, and they've missed their fair share of throws each season. Maybe last year in their LPs they were rather consistent with the throws, but not in the SP (where the throw was at the very end of the program and was eventually moved earlier). The prior season was their first year doing two throw triples, and they messed up plenty of them. And in their first year together, they were only doing one throw triple, which Keauna had just learned... Looking back on that season, it's pretty obvious their throw 3S is more reliable now than it was back then. So I'm not sure what you are referring to when you say they used to never miss. I think you would change your mind that they were better at throws when Keauna was younger if you went back to watch some of their comps from the '06-'07 or '07-'08 seasons.

I think it's safe to say the success they have had so far hasn't been because they are super consistent. They're obviously still working on the consistency thing (as are most pair teams). Like you mentioned, maybe there are technical adjustments to make... Maybe it's a matter of transferring what they do in practice into competition... And like I said before, it might help to not do a throw so late in a program. I think they will figure things out as time goes on.

As for the rest of your comment, I understand what you are saying, but all girls will eventually mature and fill out a little (well, except like Dan Zhang and Qing Pang but they both grew quite tall instead). I think you'd be hard-pressed to find any skaters who don't have to make any adjustments when their bodies change. After all, this is pairs, and the leaders in pairs are women, not prepubescent kids. Keauna is still not tall, and although Rockne may be on the short side, he obviously doesn't have a typical rail-thin skater's body and is strong. You don't need a big height difference to land throws. Nobody gives a darn that Shen/Zhao only have a 6 or 7 inch height difference when they land those awesome throws of theirs. On the opposite end of the spectrum, there are teams with massive size differences who can't land throws to save their lives. So I guess I'm just not as worried about Keauna & Rockne's throws as much as you are. To me, if they are looking good in practice, eventually everything will click in competition.

Sorry I rambled on and on... again. I hope I don't sound like their publicist or something. hahaha. I'm just throwing in my two cents.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Frau Muller View Post
    Correct. He is too talented. Hmmmm....how about Baga/Brubaker?
    Brubaker is definitely the stronger skater, and the more consistent one. He also shows more expression on the ice than a lot of other male pair skaters.

Perhaps this was a wake-up call that they need to be more consistent, and Keana 's jumps in particular are a problem she needs to work on.

vCash
    Well we will get a better assessment of McLaughlin-Brubaker this week as they compete in Four Continents where they have a good chance to medal if they skate well. The only other top teams there are Duhamel-Buntin and the Zhangs.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MysticHaze View Post
    Well we will get a better assessment of McLaughlin-Brubaker this week as they compete in Four Continents where they have a good chance to medal if they skate well. The only other top teams there are Duhamel-Buntin and the Zhangs.
    Are they at Four Continents? (Edited to add yes, I see they are. Somehow I thought they'd also declined. I hope it works for them.)

vCash
    I thought this was a Break-Up thread. Apparently not.

vCash
    People can always continue any relevant break up speculation/discussion in the U.S. Pairs thread : http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...=66443&page=16

It's the time of year to keep checking http://icepartnersearch.com/ for post-Nationals splits.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by stjeaskategym View Post
    ... Whole Post.
    I agreed with your first post and with this one also.

I would also like to add. That getting through the "puberty" stage is brutal for many many female skaters. It takes time to fully rotate triples when your height, weight, and balance changes. I imagine this effects most aspects of pairs moves too, and will require Rockne's timing to change as well. This team has been through a lot in a year: Two growth spurts for Keanu, timing and balance changes for them both, new coaching staff, new city to live in, being away from parents/family/friends, and all this in an Olympic year which means tremendous pressure.

Count me as one that sincerely hopes they stick it out and stay together.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MysticHaze View Post
    Keana & Rockne seem to have had a good short program at 4 Continents. I just looked at the results.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by loopey View Post
    I agreed with your first post and with this one also.

I would also like to add. That getting through the "puberty" stage is brutal for many many female skaters. It takes time to fully rotate triples when your height, weight, and balance changes. I imagine this effects most aspects of pairs moves too, and will require Rockne's timing to change as well. This team has been through a lot in a year: Two growth spurts for Keanu, timing and balance changes for them both, new coaching staff, new city to live in, being away from parents/family/friends, and all this in an Olympic year which means tremendous pressure.

Count me as one that sincerely hopes they stick it out and stay together.
    Don't forget his surgery....

vCash
    Back on topic...

Karen Routhier (silver in the JGP in Budapest & 9th in Senior Dance at Canadians with Eric Saucke-Lacelle) is newly listed on icepartnersearch today (1/27). She turns 19 next month.

vCash
    Heh. Are they still going to JW then?

vCash
    Samuel Rashba (of Bertsch/Rashba, 11th in Novice Dance, US Nationals) is now listed on Ice Partner Search.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by barbk View Post
    I don't disagree with the analysis...but I do wonder whether they're now physically too mismatched. She's a lot taller, he's pretty short, and I think that is a major contributor to the problem they've had on throws, and that isn't likely to get better over time.
    They look mismatched too me but then maybe he is dealing with it well. We can't really tell.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Back on topic...

Karen Routhier (silver in the JGP in Budapest & 9th in Senior Dance at Canadians with Eric Saucke-Lacelle) is newly listed on icepartnersearch today (1/27). She turns 19 next month.
    :

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sit_spin View Post
    Samuel Rashba (of Bertsch/Rashba, 11th in Novice Dance, US Nationals) is now listed on Ice Partner Search.
    I hope Sam can find a new partner soon.

Kyle MacMillan (1st in Intermediate Dance, JN with Rachel Parsons) is listed on IPS. From reading his profile, it appears Rachel will be partnering with her brother, Michael, who just finished 4th in Novice Dance with Kristina Rexford, so you can add that team to the list of splits. It's too bad - I liked Rexford/Parsons and thought they had a lot of potential - maybe the thought was that Kristina was gettting too tall for him.

vCash
    Rexford looked like she might have been the same height or taller so I'm not too surprised they split. I think Parsons/Parsons could be promising though. Not sure who Redford could end up with but she's certainly a good skater.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Debbie S View Post
    It's too bad - I liked Rexford/Parsons and thought they had a lot of potential - maybe the thought was that Kristina was gettting too tall for him.
    From the phrasing of the profile, it sounds like Parsons/Parsons was the parents' decision. Maybe it was more convenient?
    The Junior Grand Prix: Where skaters who "come out of nowhere" come from.

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast