Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

vCash

Pair/Dance post national breakups

It's that time of year again...let the splitting and rematching begin!

I thought I'd start a list of all of the splitting - does anyone know of any? All countries welcome.

Thanks.

vCash
    1st split : Michael Stewart (from Pisotta/Stewart) is on icepartnersearch.

vCash
    Monica Pisota is now on ips too!

vCash
    Well, I read ISI: Online and according to their Nationals coverage:

It was a difficult end to a difficult season for them [McLaughlin/Brubaker], and will likely be the end of their partnership, as the team appears to have no rapport either on or off the ice.
    Any truth in that?

vCash
    I doubt this as McLaughlin was quoted right after Nats as saying that she could not imagine herself skating with anyone else. Of course, if Brubaker sees things differently...

vCash
    I'd rather they not split up. but M/B's performance at US Nationals has got to make each of them consider their options. One thing for sure, they have to improve, or other teams will pass them by for good.

vCash
    Lenko/Cheperdak had split up earlier this season and WD from Canadians. He's on Icepartnersearch.com.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by newbatgirl View Post
    I doubt this as McLaughlin was quoted right after Nats as saying that she could not imagine herself skating with anyone else. Of course, if Brubaker sees things differently...
    Correct. He is too talented. Hmmmm....how about Baga/Brubaker?
    Dick Button Historical Quote of the Month: "Good for you, Lucinda Ruh!"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by thisyearsfool View Post

Any truth in that?

Sounds like some BS opinion from an ignorant "reporter", to be honest.

vCash
    I read a quote somewhere in the last week where Rockne said that they planned to stick together and that "they had never just planned on doing one Olympics anyway". It sounded to me like they are planning on staying together ... but, of course, that could always change. Sorry, I don't remember which article it was.
    Last edited by jobelle; 01-24-2010 at 11:00 PM. Reason: typo

Searching for Sergei Verbillo's lost stache
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jobelle View Post
    I read a quote somewhere in the last week where Rockne said that they planned to stick together and that "they had never just planned one doing one Olympics anyway". It sounded to me like they are planning on staying together ... but, of course, that could always change. Sorry, I don't remember which article it was.
    Yep they want to do 2 olympics.Article

vCash
    Correct. He is too talented. Hmmmm....how about Baga/Brubaker?
    I guess time will tell...Baga is only 14 and will still grow, Rockne needs someone that is full grown and Keauna size or smaller; which will be more difficult to find then one thinks.

vCash
    Have we heard about formal retirements (or is that another thread)?

I would think there would be a few US pairs calling it quits this year. (Not looking for new partners, just moving on!)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by thisyearsfool View Post

Any truth in that?
    I just wanted to say more about this "article"...

It's not just because I am a big fan of theirs... I find Keauna and Rockne's rapport on and off the ice to be quite good. I wish most pairs had the chemistry on the ice that they do. To "report" that they likely will split because they have "no rapport" is ridiculous and silly, in my opinion. Who the heck writes crap like that? Who knows who wrote it because I don't even see a name of an author on that page.

I think one of the reasons why pair skating has been so weak in this country is because nobody has any patience with each other and looks to split once everything isn't all sunshine and rainbows. In sports, it is natural to have ups and downs, and nobody looking to have a long-term career is going to have all amazing years. And, gasp, there is no such thing as a perfect pairs partner. Sometimes, your partner will make mistakes. It happens!

Maybe Shen & Zhao should have split after getting 15th at their first Worlds and then 11th the following year... Maybe Mukhortova & Trankov should have given up after getting 12th and 11th at their first two Worlds appearances... Maybe Dube & Davison should have split after getting 6th at Skate America and 10th at the Olympics one year... Hell, maybe both M/T and D/D should have split after losing Nationals-- Every pair should split unless they win Nationals EVERY year, right? Maybe Zhang & Zhang should have quit after getting 11th at their first Olympics. YAWN!

Haha, sorry for the rant, but sometimes the expectations are too damn high for a pair that is only 17 and 23 years old. They missed out on an Olympic spot by about 8 pts, half of which were lost because of a messed up death spiral. A death spiral! A total fluke accident. This was after coming off of an Intl GP season in which they were, again, the most well-received US team there. Can we give these two a break already and let them mature and develop like every other top pair team in this world has done? Okay, rant over.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by stjeaskategym View Post
    I just wanted to say more about this "article"...

It's not just because I am a big fan of theirs... I find Keauna and Rockne's rapport on and off the ice to be quite good. I wish most pairs had the chemistry on the ice that they do. To "report" that they likely will split because they have "no rapport" is ridiculous and silly, in my opinion. Who the heck writes crap like that? Who knows who wrote it because I don't even see a name of an author on that page.

I think one of the reasons why pair skating has been so weak in this country is because nobody has any patience with each other and looks to split once everything isn't all sunshine and rainbows. In sports, it is natural to have ups and downs, and nobody looking to have a long-term career is going to have all amazing years. And, gasp, there is no such thing as a perfect pairs partner. Sometimes, your partner will make mistakes. It happens!

Maybe Shen & Zhao should have split after getting 15th at their first Worlds and then 11th the following year... Maybe Mukhortova & Trankov should have given up after getting 12th and 11th at their first two Worlds appearances... Maybe Dube & Davison should have split after getting 6th at Skate America and 10th at the Olympics one year... Hell, maybe both M/T and D/D should have split after losing Nationals-- Every pair should split unless they win Nationals EVERY year, right? Maybe Zhang & Zhang should have quit after getting 11th at their first Olympics. YAWN!

Haha, sorry for the rant, but sometimes the expectations are too damn high for a pair that is only 17 and 23 years old. They missed out on an Olympic spot by about 8 pts, half of which were lost because of a messed up death spiral. A death spiral! A total fluke accident. This was after coming off of an Intl GP season in which they were, again, the most well-received US team there. Can we give these two a break already and let them mature and develop like every other top pair team in this world has done? Okay, rant over.
    Well said. Echoes what Tai Babilonia said in one of Manleywoman's skatecasts about today's teams breaking up after one or two bad seasons and not giving their partnership a chance to grow. Look, not everyone can have instant success like Denney and Barrett. Most teams need to grow into each other.

vCash
    Excellent post, stjeaskategym, expectations were high and they faltered a bit. Hopefully they will have more time to grow especially under the guidance of John Nicks. I still have high hopes for them for the next four years.

vCash
    I don't disagree with the analysis...but I do wonder whether they're now physically too mismatched. She's a lot taller, he's pretty short, and I think that is a major contributor to the problem they've had on throws, and that isn't likely to get better over time.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Spiralgraph View Post
    I'd rather they not split up. but M/B's performance at US Nationals has got to make each of them consider their options. One thing for sure, they have to improve, or other teams will pass them by for good.
    Regarding their improvement. What can their (Keauna's?) jump/consistency issues be traced to. Was she injured or is it just her having grown into her post puberty body and having to adjust to it?

I love this team along with C&O. Even though they didn't make the team or skate as well as they would have liked, M&B's LP was artistically my favorite of the evening except for C&O. And only a couple of seasons ago they had an awesome technical arsenal as well. Keauna and Rockne are young enough to work on their skating and continue for another four years. I really hope they stick it out.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by barbk View Post
    I don't disagree with the analysis...but I do wonder whether they're now physically too mismatched. She's a lot taller, he's pretty short, and I think that is a major contributor to the problem they've had on throws, and that isn't likely to get better over time.
    I think that's a little harsh- they can do good throws. They were never going to have a big height disparity since he's somewhat short, but she's not tall either (and most likely done growing), so it works. Just because she's not a 14,15 year old scrawny kid doesn't mean they can't adjust, and I think they are doing well with that.

I'm assuming nerves played a part at Nat'ls... From the practice footage, at least, they looked solid. Their throws have pretty good height and distance... They get better distance than most teams, and maybe with that comes a little less consistency-- I don't know. But M/B really did look good in practice. In the competition, they seemed tentative at times, particularly in the SP. I'm sure the pressure was intense, and only escalated after being so low after the SP. They were not only favored to win a 3rd title and make the Oly team, but they had never lost a Nat'l competition before. They are only human, and they were dealing with a different type of pressure than the others. I guess there's no sense in over-analyzing it... They probably don't understand entirely why they didn't skate so well last weekend (a couple of the mistakes were obviously odd), never mind me... But it was probably somewhat mental. As they get more experienced, it should get easier to handle everything.

I am no coach, but one thing I would try in the future is to not bury a throw so late in their LP. Their throw 3L is in the last few seconds of their LP, and not even Savchenko/Szolkowy (the only other pair I can think of that does a throw that late) try something that hard/risky. It seems too tiring, and they've been shaky with it in competition this season. Obviously I don't see them every day in practice, but seeing them practicing like this earlier this season, you know they have it in them to skate really well... Maybe it's just a bit of a stamina thing. Even in the SP, their throw is relatively late compared to other teams that get it out of the way early on in the program. M/B are young and have time to play around with their element order as they go further.

Sorry for the analysis... I probably sound like such an uber fan, but hey, someone has to defend them in this thread. I think they are too good and have too much potential to not be defended in this thread. And now we are off topic.

vCash
    Finally! Some love & encouragement for McBru...

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast