Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    vCash
    I love this horse. I didn't know about her until last year's Breeders which she won in style and now I watch everything she does. You just can't help but love her.

vCash
    ITA. Cute video below with footage of the closing seconds of many of her races and cute shots of the queen herself:
    http://www.delmarscene.com/videos/ze...ibutevideo.htm

vCash
    Great article about Zenyatta in this week's Sports Illustrated:

Excerpt:
    "Late in the afternoon, under a falling autumn sun, Zenyatta walks onto the track and performs her prerace ritual, her pawing at the ground the equine equivalent of LeBron's flinging talc into the air. Most people can scarcely tell a thoroughbred from a carnival pony, but Zenyatta's greatness fairly bursts from the skin beneath her coat. She towers over her four opponents, who look as if they could be her foals. Her chest is dense with muscles. When fans cry for her to look their way, she turns briefly and then dances for them...

Since Zenyatta's first start, on Thanksgiving Day 2007, she has beaten 112 horses, each time unfurling her 17-hands-plus frame in a finishing rush from far off the pace...

But the story of Zenyatta is about more than her place in history, more than the boost she has given a flagging sport. It is about family and friends; patience, trust and love; and the curious turns of the racing game...

On April Fool's Day 2004, Vertigineux dropped a dark-bay baby on the ground at Winter Quarter Farm in Lexington. This was the horse that Team Moss saw in Barn 28 at Keeneland, a gangly child with a terrible skin rash. "She was rangy, but very well-balanced," says David Ingordo. Dottie Ingordo-Shirreffs already loved Kris S, Vertigineux's papa, as a broodmare sire. And when the Mosses visited, the baby laid her head on Ann's shoulder, sealing the deal...

On the farm they called the rangy filly the Big Girl. One day in February 2006, Jeanne brought her 2-year-olds across the street to the dirt training track at Plumley Farm. She instructed the riders to take the babies down the stretch and around the turn. "The Big Girl was behind them, and then, oh, my God, she went right around them," says Mayberry. "I called David and told him, 'You've either got one really good horse or a lot of bad ones. And you need a name for the good one.'"

In one of the pictures, there is a shot of Zenyatta with Switch, and Switch has a desperate expression on her face and Zenyatta looks like she is out for a Sunday jog. Also the picture of her on the first page of the story is gorgeous!

AND I am going to the Breeders' Cup!!!!

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vau...ndex/index.htm

Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    vCash
    Oh sk8pics...I so, so, so hate you right now!! I'd so love to go a Breeder's Cup one day.

We're getting close aren't we? Dad thinks it's this weekend, but I don't think so. We would have seen some sort of promos by now if it was.

We have visited Churchill Downs, not on Derby Day, but in the middle of the summer during a trip to Kentucky many moons ago. It's a gorgeous place and so steeped in the history and traditions of it all too.

Have a blast and a half and think of all of us who will be watching thanks to TV!!!

vCash
    Breeder's Cup is Nov 5-6th
    ESPN2 is televising Nov 5th's "Ladies day" starting at 4:00pm
    ESPN and ABC will be showing the "Championship Day" starting at 1:30 pm.

btw...I hate the separation of the Females/Males. IMO it demeans the "Ladies"

still will be totally psyched for the races next weekend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AragornElessar View Post
    Oh sk8pics...I so, so, so hate you right now!! I'd so love to go a Breeder's Cup one day.
    There's still tickets on eBay! It's not too late.... In fact, I think the ticket next to mine is still for sale.... I can't wait! Hoping Zenyatta does run and WIN!

Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sk8pics View Post
    There's still tickets on eBay! It's not too late.... In fact, I think the ticket next to mine is still for sale.... I can't wait! Hoping Zenyatta does run and WIN!
    That's really sweet of you to suggest, but there's no way we could do it. We don't have the money to start w/, but more importantly, my Dad's health is not good and no way would I want to go w/out him w/me.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

And thanks Skipaway for the confirmation on the dates.

vCash
    Zenyatta is on 60 Minutes this Sunday, October 31. Well, her people are on, too! I understand they shot quite a lot of footage and were pleased with how she interacted with the 60 Minutes crew. They also did some helmut-cam shots, which are always cool.

My ticket for the Breeders' Cup arrived yesterday so I'm all set to go! Good luck, Z!

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    http://therail.blogs.nytimes.com/201...lf/?ref=sports

The Rail creates a hypothetical race for Zenyatta against some of the greats (and some WTF entries--Smarty Jones? Big Brown? Barbaro? What the HECK are they doing on any list that includes Citation and Seabiscuit? Also, I question some exclusions--it cannot really be all-time greats unless the original Big Red, Man o' War is on it. And I would bet at even weights and a classic distance THAT race would end up in a duel between Man o' War and Citation and while I THINK Man o' War would win, it took a fifteen pound allowance and coming back after a year off with an injury for Citation to lose--by a nose.)

vCash
    Yeah, I agree some of the excluded horses are conspicuous. But I don't think that was the Rail folks, I thought that was the company that is marketing the simulation software.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12