Page 23 of 33 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast

vCash
    Project Rungay has some spoilers on what happens next week. And apparently, Lifetime is running an ad that gives it away as well.

Spoiler

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PDilemma View Post
    Anthony's print was much better than both of those. And I had thought the print would be a huge part of the judging.
    Anthony's print was one of the better ones. But, he barely used it. I think he should have come up with a way of using more of his fabric.

Quote Originally Posted by PrincessLeppard View Post
    Project Rungay has some spoilers on what happens next week. And apparently, Lifetime is running an ad that gives it away as well.

Spoiler

Nooooo!

vCash
    I actually liked the way Emillos print looked. And I get what Kors was saying about how you could scale it up/down/ different color etc. The dress was eh, I hated the back and neckline but I can see why he got the win with the print. Like Tim I saw SA ES as Seth Aaron Emilio Sosa too!!

and WTF to the spoiler info. That makes me very sad
    ETA: Found it!
    Last edited by lash; 03-26-2010 at 05:09 PM.

vCash
    Well the spoiler explains the Bryant Park spoilers/speculation/questions.

vCash
    Well, I think it's pretty obvious

Spoiler

vCash

Spoiler

vCash

Spoiler

: :

(Now I can't wait to watch though! )

vCash
    I actually liked Anthony's dress last night, it was bland and safe but at least his designs are wearable. Mila and Jonathan completely missed the mark but of course on PR it's usually better in the eyes of the judges to be out there and miss it than be boring/safe.

I loved Anthony's "you look a gay christmas ornament" to Jay.

vCash
    I thought Michael, Heidi and Nina came across as mean high-school bullies in the judging. Unnecessarily personal and scathing in their insults of the designs, just petty and immature. Especially Michael.

vCash
    I think sometimes when there isn't an obvious disaster up on the stage, they have to invent stuff to kick someone off. I realize it's less dramatic to say, well, none of you are really terrible, but we have to kick someone off. They sort of did that with Anthony, but they didn't have to be quite so cruel to Jonathon. If he'd left the polka dots off the print, it would've been much better. When he was shown designing it, and it was that muted color with white streaks running through it, I really liked it. He lost me with the the water spots.

And the jacket.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by millyskate View Post
    I thought Michael, Heidi and Nina came across as mean high-school bullies in the judging. Unnecessarily personal and scathing in their insults of the designs, just petty and immature. Especially Michael.
    They often do come across that way. I find myself thinking what makes them so special as to pass that sort of judgment. I realize it's a reality style competition show, but I do sort of lose my patience with the judges' attitudes.

Nina Garcia obviously has some knowledge of what editors and media are looking for in fashion, but she rarely shares that insight. Telling the designers that she doesn't like something doesn't help them grow. Instead, she could tell them why something would not photograph well or how she has seen the same design 40 times in one season. All of those would be better than the generic insults she throws out at the designers.

Michael is a designer (though I question his own style). I realize he doesn't want to create a bunch of clones of himself, but he could be better as a judge. Instead of coming up with outlandish quips, he could question the contestants on their technique, ideas, etc. He could be Tim times 5 with the questions about how they went from the idea in their head to the garment on the runway.

Heidi has modedled clothes, but I hardly see her as that knowledgable about fashion. I detest many of her fashion choices and wonder if the woman owns a mirror at times. But that doesn't mean she couldn't offer more critque than "that's bizarre" with a wrinkled nose. She could question the models about the wearability of the contestants' garments. She could echo Nina's expertise about the photography aspects and how the clothes appear on the runway. Instead I hear her personal opinions of how she prefers harder and harsher designs over soft and pretty. And then there is her obsession with breasts, but she loses that critique if she likes the designer.

I know the show wants drama and one liners, but let's be honest about it. They want the show to have teeth and be a real launching pad for American designers - at least that's the marketing statement. Then at least offer the designers something they can work with instead of insulting them and insulting the audience's intelligence.

vCash
    Remember that we are only seeing a small portion of what the judges actually say to and about the designers. Designers often comment on how the judging takes so much longer than what is shown. So how do we know that there aren't more complex insights and discussions?

vCash

Spoiler

This is actually what I thought because of how the preview looked.

vCash
    Remember that we are only seeing a small portion of what the judges actually say to and about the designers. Designers often comment on how the judging takes so much longer than what is shown. So how do we know that there aren't more complex insights and discussions?
    That's why I started watching the Models of the Runway show; they show more of the judges comments. I love Tim's blog for this episode - he absolutely hated Emilio's design and thinks that judges were dead wrong.
    Last edited by Lucy25; 03-27-2010 at 12:18 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucy25 View Post
    This is actually what I thought because of how the preview looked.
    And perhaps there was a little foreshadowing in this episode (???)

vCash
    There might very well be great discussions and insight, but we aren't shown that. The editing of the show plays up the one liners and dumbs it down for the audience. I'm not saying that I want to see an hour of judging on the screen, but the producers and what not would do themselves a favor by showing some examples beyond the phrases of critique that they show (I'd wear it...I wouldn't wear it....It makes her hips look big).

Michael obviously has some thoughts that are expressed through a blog, but how many viewers actually follow up on that? I've read studies that the interaction level of television viewers is relatively low when it comes to things like going online to find more information or signing up for e-mails.

I know that Heidi making a face and telling someone that the look is strange or she doesn't like it makes for a good preview and sound byte. Nina making the pursed lip look and saying that something is boring does the same thing. But it does nothing to educate the audience as to their decisions and choices. I would like to know why a design works or doesn't work. I care more about that than I do who is getting along with whom or watching the designer of the week worry to the camera that he/she will not finish in time.

I guess I would like to see it be a little deeper of a show sometimes. They always show me Mood, but show me the actual debate over picking fabrics. Show me why something was chosen and why something was left out. Show me how different the final design is compared to the original sketches. Some shows have been able to meet this challenge a little better than others. PR should be able to do this better as the cast shrinks from elimination. I doubt they will though. In a few weeks we'll get all the scenes of Tim visiting the designers complete with prepackaged little deals of Tim in awkward and cute situations, but we'll know very little about the contestants lines because all we'll hear is how they were inspired by something in nature.

I will applaud Lifetime for making one change even if it was inadvertant. The last season on Bravo drove me insane with the cutting to the other designers to show their reaction when someone was being raked over the coals or praised. I got so tired of seeing people rolling their eyes or huffing and puffing in defiance. The show still shows it, but it is much less than was shown on Bravo.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ArtisticFan View Post
    I guess I would like to see it be a little deeper of a show sometimes. They always show me Mood, but show me the actual debate over picking fabrics. Show me why something was chosen and why something was left out. Show me how different the final design is compared to the original sketches. Some shows have been able to meet this challenge a little better than others. PR should be able to do this better as the cast shrinks from elimination. I doubt they will though. In a few weeks we'll get all the scenes of Tim visiting the designers complete with prepackaged little deals of Tim in awkward and cute situations, but we'll know very little about the contestants lines because all we'll hear is how they were inspired by something in nature.
    They actually show quite a lot of this on the website. They have extended judging video, extended interview video with each of the designers and models each week, scans of the original sketches, fabric swatches, blogs from Tim and Michael Kors and tons more. They have limited air time to put together a story for each week, and the viewers who want all the in-depth stuff - they can find it on the website. Pretty lucky for all of us who can't get enough!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by uyeahu View Post
    They actually show quite a lot of this on the website. They have extended judging video, extended interview video with each of the designers and models each week, scans of the original sketches, fabric swatches, blogs from Tim and Michael Kors and tons more. They have limited air time to put together a story for each week, and the viewers who want all the in-depth stuff - they can find it on the website. Pretty lucky for all of us who can't get enough!
    I watch and read those. I was just commenting that if the show wants to be taken more seriously it should consider its editing practices. They might be happy with their ratings and viewership, but I know that most shows would like to improve ratings and reputation. PR would do well (as most shows would) to look at some ways of having people take the show more seriously.

As I said in my post, the actual numbers of people who go to a web site or participate in some way (other than calling or texting a number to vote) is usually very low. People on this board and others are more likely to, as we lean in that way. However, it is probable that the majority of PR viewers don't see the extended footage and blogs.

My argument is that once the contestants get wittled down to a smaller number (8 or so?) it would be interesting to see the show go a little deeper with its analysis on television. The show, which is oneof my faves, tends to get very redundant when the cast dwindles. We hear the same arguments. We see the same scenes. We watch the same critiques. How many times do we have to hear contestants say they are the last man/woman, person from a certain location, etc. How many times do we need to hear about the struggles of growing up ________ in _______ town was hard. One or two times is enough. I think we all get the idea.

vCash
    Dear Lord! If Mila wasn't auffed with that shyte, then what's it going to take?

vCash
    ArtisticFan--I'm not mocking you, and I sort of agree with you (which is why I never miss reading the PR blogs etc...), but I have to say, what makes you think that the culture that will listen to Miley Cyrus's music, endlessly purchase magazines with Kate and/or Jon Gosselin's troubles on the cover, and buy clothes at WalMart is deep enough to want to learn about design and fashion on a reality show?

It's sad but true.

Page 23 of 33 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast