Page 51 of 51 FirstFirst ... 41495051
Results 1,001 to 1,015 of 1015
    The wiener takes it all
    vCash
    Excited about JJ/Stosur semifinal. Would love to see 3 sets

Finally time for a new tennis thread!
    Last edited by HisWeirness; 06-02-2010 at 04:00 PM.

vCash
    Sorry to see Serena go, but ...

My prediction, the winner of the Schiavone/Dementieva match will win the tourney. Dementieva has been so close, maybe this is her time.

But Francesca is an incredible clay court player and she's is playing wonderful this tourney.
    "“My bronze feels like gold,” said the bronze medalist Carolina Kostner

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Beefcake View Post
    Sam has got to be considered the title favorite ... having shown Henin and Williams the door in consecutive matches, and having had the overall claycourt season she's had.
    Just beating those two back-to-back is an incredible feat. She has essentially already played two finals. I hope she can win this now!

vCash
    I am expecting a Dementieva-Jankovic final. Actually I was expecting that from the moment Henin went out, but am expecting it even more now with Serena out now too. Stosur could surprise (and I guess in an even more unlikely event Schiavone) but I would expect Dementieva and Jankovic to meet now and one of them to win their long awaited first slam.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by topaz View Post
    Sorry to see Serena go, but ...

My prediction, the winner of the Schiavone/Dementieva match will win the tourney. Dementieva has been so close, maybe this is her time.

But Francesca is an incredible clay court player and she's is playing wonderful this tourney.
    I think the complete opposite. The winner of Jankovic/Stosur has got to be the favorite.

H2Hs:

Jankovic leads Stosur 3-1 (Sam won the last match, though, in Miami)
    Jankovic leads Schiavone 3-1 (1-0 on clay and Jelena won last 3 matches)
    Jankovic leads Dementieva 7-3 (1-1 on clay; Jelena has won the last 3 matches)
    Dementieva leads Stosur 4-1 (but Stosur won their only meeting on clay - at the FO last year)
    Dementieva leads Schiavone 6-4 (won their last 3 meetings and 1-0 on clay)
    Stosur leads Schiavone 4-1 (2-0 on clay; won their last 3 matches)
    Adelina Sotnikova is the 2014 Olympic champion!

vCash
    Um... the scoreline in Nadal's match so far...

ETA: OK, things going back to normal now...
    "First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, and then you win." - Mahatma Gandhi

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Megi View Post
    Um... the scoreline in Nadal's match so far...
    I think it went something like that in the last Nadal/Almagro match which Nadal ended up winning.

Novak up two sets and a break

vCash
    Novak is quietly playing his way into form and playing some first rate tennis. However he did the same thing in Australia and rather than see if he could mantain that vs Federer he couldnt even get past Tsonga his first truly tough opponent. It will be interesting to see how Djokovic mentally responds to playing Nadal (likely) in the semis. Is he ready for another big win in a slam finally again?

vCash
    Novak's match is going by really fast. I got a quick task when it started and now that I'm done it's 2 - 0 already. I'm not complaining though, go Novak!

Uh oh... Novak starting to miss...
    Last edited by Megi; 06-02-2010 at 04:43 PM.
    "First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, and then you win." - Mahatma Gandhi

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by oleada View Post
    I think the complete opposite. The winner of Jankovic/Stosur has got to be the favorite.

H2Hs:

Jankovic leads Stosur 3-1 (Sam won the last match, though, in Miami)
    Jankovic leads Schiavone 3-1 (1-0 on clay and Jelena won last 3 matches)
    Jankovic leads Dementieva 7-3 (1-1 on clay; Jelena has won the last 3 matches)
    Dementieva leads Stosur 4-1 (but Stosur won their only meeting on clay - at the FO last year)
    Dementieva leads Schiavone 6-4 (won their last 3 meetings and 1-0 on clay)
    Stosur leads Schiavone 4-1 (2-0 on clay; won their last 3 matches)
    Looks good on paper, I agree for your predictions. However, Jankovic doesnt' really have any weapons. She's a counterpuncher and I think she's the weakest mentally of all 4 semi finalist. Jankovic has a very good all around game but no real weapons.

Elena D is the strongest mentally. Her serve has gotten better over the last 2 years, she's a two time glam slam finalist.

Francesca Schiavone is a vet and she never gives up. I"ve always liked Frankie's game. She's got a good forehand and great speed, she's the fastest at the age 29 than any the remaining players. She's the hot player in the tourney right now. The "beat down" she gave Wozniacki was impressive. She has no pressure on her and she's playing very free. Her game really frustrates the power players on this surface. She uses angles and top spin better than anyone on this surface.
    "“My bronze feels like gold,” said the bronze medalist Carolina Kostner

vCash
    I honestly think it will be Stosur, the way she is playing and beating Serena & Henin in a row. But she might suffer a let down after those two matches.

Jelena has gotten a lot tougher mentally in the last year or so. Her serve has improved a lot, and she's tougher to break. And her backhand down the line can definitely be a weapon.

I disagree that Elena D. is the strongest mentally, but I don't think that any from this group can be called mentally strong. I'm surprised that she's gotten as far as she has - she hasn't had the best season so far, and she had that thigh injury. Her play can be completely brainless at times and she doesn't have much variety. Aside from that one FO final, clay isn't historically her best surface.

Schiavone...I don't know. She's the wildcard. She'll probably end up winning a la MJMS in Rome

vCash
    Per wikipedia, the last Australian woman to win a Grand Slam title was Evonne Goolagong Cawley at the 1980 Wimbledon. The three decade drought could certainly come to an end this weekend.

vCash
    Stosur!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Beefcake View Post
    Sam has got to be considered the title favorite
    But now come much bigger expectations. Up till now, she's been a pretty big underdog. Not so much anymore. At this point, I think whichever woman can keep her head together the best will win. Anyway, after the results of the last couple of rounds, I'm glad that I can be happy for whoever wins either the men's or women's event.

... having shown Henin and Williams the door in consecutive matches, and having had the overall claycourt season she's had.
    What is her best surface overall?

I wonder if the results here give any indication of what Wimbledon will be like? Probably not. Women's tennis is about as predictable as the weather.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by oleada View Post

I disagree that Elena D. is the strongest mentally, but I don't think that any from this group can be called mentally strong.
    HA!!! Too true!
    Keeper of Nathalie Pechelat's bitchface.

Page 51 of 51 FirstFirst ... 41495051