Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    vCash
    This just has got to make you chuckle!

vCash
    And I fell asleep by the time this happened on Kimmel. The first guest pretended to be Conan.

http://www.eonline.com/uberblog/b161...vertently.html

Times have changed since they appeared on each other's shows during the writer's strike (because...they had nothing else to do?)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMcEJUp1YsA

And I'm surprised Conan's clips are available at the official web site. I was expecting an error message .

http://www.tonightshowwithconanobrien.com/

vCash
    All the late night hosts are having a field day with this. Kimmel was so funny as Jay.

This has got to be personal for Letterman given that NBC led him on for years, making him think that he would get the Tonight Show, thereby keeping him at the 12:30 spot. He's clearly getting a kick out of seeing NBC struggle with the mess they've made.

podcast mistress
    Ready to interview Uncle Dickie at any time.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Allskate View Post
    All the late night hosts are having a field day with this. Kimmel was so funny as Jay.

This has got to be personal for Letterman given that NBC led him on for years, making him think that he would get the Tonight Show, thereby keeping him at the 12:30 spot. He's clearly getting a kick out of seeing NBC struggle with the mess they've made.
    Indeed, though I think Letterman's happy it happened so he could be out of the negative spotlight as well.

It's crazy to just ask Conan to step aside. Blegh
    In my spare time, I like to interview figure skating legends.

vCash
    Article on why the 11:30pm timeslot doesn't matter.

http://blog.newsweek.com/blogs/techt...time-slot.aspx

the floppy-haired goofball should realize that watching a show at its original time is obsolete. Watching Saturday Night Live live on Saturday night is the TV equivalent of churning butter. Tools have been invented to save you the labor! If one of the sketches is funny and worth your time, you will hear about it on Twitter or Facebook or even just e-mail. Trust your social network. The same is true of the late-night talk shows. It hasn't really been necessary to watch Conan or Letterman live for years.

vCash
    "He will tape today. It'll be new," the spokesperson said.

Scheduled guests include Ricky Gervais, Bryce Dallas Howard and comedian Whitney Cummings.

The NBC spokesperson did not have further information regarding O'Brien's plans or his negotiations with the network. According to The New York Times, O'Brien would leave The Tonight Show after reaching a financial settlement with the network.
    http://www.tvguide.com/News/Conan-OB...e-1013644.aspx

NBC has also made it clear that it does not believe it breached Mr. O’Brien’s contract in any way because it offered him the chance to continue on “Tonight.” NBC executives said that Mr. O’Brien’s contract did not include any language that guaranteed the show had to begin at 11:35 p.m.

The counterargument from Mr. O’Brien’s representatives has been that no such language was necessary in this case because “The Tonight Show” has followed the late local news in cities across America for 60 years.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/13/bu...a/13conan.html

Mr. O’Brien’s future could also be complicated by how his contract is settled. Even if NBC settles with him, it could enforce a clause that keeps him off television for a year or more.

vCash
    Mr. O’Brien’s future could also be complicated by how his contract is settled. Even if NBC settles with him, it could enforce a clause that keeps him off television for a year or more.
    Does NBC really want to have even more bad press on their hands for pulling a stupid stunt like that?
    "Half the harm that is done in this world is due to people who want to feel important. They don't mean to do harm -- but the harm does not interest them. Or they do not see it, or they justify it because they are absorbed in the endless struggle to think well of themselves." – T.S. Eliot

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mpal2 View Post
    Does NBC really want to have even more bad press on their hands for pulling a stupid stunt like that?
    Aside from the fact that we already know how clueless NBC executives are, time off for on-air talent moving from one network/station to another is pretty standard. Although a year seems like a lot. 6 months is the norm. Even Letterman stayed off the air for a few months between NBC and CBS.

http://blogs.kansascity.com/tvbarn/2...ete_claus.html

But things might be changing for the average TV employee, though:

On the heels of a California State Supreme Court ruling banning employer-imposed non-compete clauses, New York state is banning the clauses by law in broadcast contracts. Governor David Paterson has signed the “Broadcast Employees Freedom To Work Act”. The American Federation of Television and Radio Artists says this law will keep trusted broadcasters, including journalists, in their home towns. The New York State AFL-CIO joined AFTRA in a push to get the new law passed in New York.
    http://www.laborradio.org/node/9179

No idea which labor union O'Brien is a member of, if any.

Non-compete clauses have already been banned in Washington, D.C., Connecticut, Arizona, Maine, and Massachusetts.
    OTOH, since he will get a significant severance package , his lawyers will probably compromise with NBC on the amount of time he must not work for another network in order to keep that severance money flowing to him.

ETA: Letterman's take on the whole mess (he mentions non-compete clause)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A98_-EeXS_I
    Last edited by deltask8er; 01-14-2010 at 03:42 AM.

vCash
    Honestly, I think Conan's a better fit for Fox, should they want a late night talk show. Didn't he write for the Simpsons for years? That show MADE fox.

On the radio this AM, (I live in Milwaukee), they were comparing Leno and his "I want to retire - no wait, I don't!" to Brett Favre. It was funny
    Keeper of Nathalie Pechelat's bitchface.

Not 'Boxxy'!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coco View Post
    Honestly, I think Conan's a better fit for Fox, should they want a late night talk show. Didn't he write for the Simpsons for years? That show MADE fox.
    IIRC, both Joan Rivers and Arsenio Hall had late-night talk shows on FOX; I don't recall the amount of success they had (obviously, neither is still on the air). I heard a couple of critics musing that Conan could go to FOX and get a jump start on the competition by beginning his show at 11 ET, 10 CT. I say begin your show at the "traditional" time, 11:35pm.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by soxxy View Post
    IIRC, both Joan Rivers and Arsenio Hall had late-night talk shows on FOX; I don't recall the amount of success they had (obviously, neither is still on the air). I heard a couple of critics musing that Conan could go to FOX and get a jump start on the competition by beginning his show at 11 ET, 10 CT. I say begin your show at the "traditional" time, 11:35pm.
    It doesn't work that way. The late-night talk shows require a lead-in from the late local news, which, in turn, require a lead-in from the primetime network schedule. Fox's late-night already suffers from the fact that people switch from Fox to primetime programming on other networks instead of watching the local Fox news. To then put in another 35 minutes of filler would further degrade the Fox late-night audience.

Late-night news and programming shows benefit in large part from passivity. People watch primetime shows, but do not change the channel as much after those shows end. Their TVs remain on whatever news programming follows those shows and then feeds into late-night talk shows. For this reason, I think the comment about DVRs is misguided. I don't think a lot of people record the late-night talk shows unless there is some particular advance reason for them to do so -- advance word of mouth about a particular episode or a particular guest they want to see. But that is probably a very small segment of viewers. To many viewers, the talk show hosts are fungible.

This can be seen by the fact that Leno took the ratings lead over Letterman after NBC had the Olympics and improved its 10 pm ratings. Letterman took the lead back when CBS' 10 pm programming improved and NBC's tanked.

vCash
    Arsenio Hall's show was hot for a few months, at least. He beat Carson in the ratings at least once.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYwIsJpPqX0

I mentioned before on how Conan's studio looks a LOT like Arsenio's studio.

I can't remember what time of day Rivers' show was on Fox.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlHw1PvMv-A

I just remember one classic moment where David Bowie's ex-wife appeared on her show. It had been 10 years since Angela divorced Bowie, so I think she was legally allowed to talk about her marriage at that point. She didn't reveal much at all during her few minutes on the show. A boring guest . After her, though, was Howard Stern. Stern immediately talked about how disappointed he was with Angela Bowie's non-revealing appearance. Joan was like "yeah, we paid for a first-class flight from NY for her, set her up in a nice hotel...all for what?!". So Stern insisted that Angela Bowie come back and sit down between the two of them (can you imagine being interviewed by both Rivers and Stern simultaneously? ). At least they got some dirt out of her then. She found Bowie in bed with another person one morning -- Mick Jagger .

vCash
    Conan might think he could get more viewers on Fox at 11:00 than he could on NBC at 12:05 following a long monologue from Jay. And given how rich he is already, he might be willing to take a pay cut to move to another network just because he's pissed at NBC and thinks (whether true or not) that Fox would treat him with more decency and honesty than NBC.

vCash
    Conan may be able to sit for 6-12 months before his next job (if NBC does that to him), but what about his crew & staff? There's where the real sad story comes in. He made it quite clear in his press release that his staff is also now affected. I can't imagine uprooting my son and mom to LA for a job and then hearing the ex boss wants us all to leave since he doesn't like his hours.

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Honestly--does anyone watch late-night local news? Really? Because I know the earlier evening broadcasts are dying out, at least the national feed. The only time I ever check is if I think there's going to be a snow storm and need to see school closings for work. Regular weather, etc I can get on-line (or on the Weather Channel any time), national stories are on the 24-hour channels, and does anyone care THAT much about minor local news?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dbell1 View Post
    I can't imagine uprooting my son and mom to LA for a job and then hearing the ex boss wants us all to leave since he doesn't like his hours.
    NBC does not want Conan and staff to leave. I repeat. NBC does not want Conan and staff to leave. It's up to Conan to decide wether everyone on his staff will still have a job or not.

It's the host and talents working on the show that make or break the show and not the timeslot (I'm talking about the 11:30pm slot and not about primetime TV schedulings).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    Honestly--does anyone watch late-night local news? Really? Because I know the earlier evening broadcasts are dying out, at least the national feed. The only time I ever check is if I think there's going to be a snow storm and need to see school closings for work. Regular weather, etc I can get on-line (or on the Weather Channel any time), national stories are on the 24-hour channels, and does anyone care THAT much about minor local news?
    I always wonder about what people actually watch and when, considering myself and my contemporaries don't. But then I visit my parents and notice their viewing habits. My dad doesn't miss the 11:00 news. Many of his contemporaries don't. And if he's not working the next day, it's Leno he checks out and mentions with his friends.

Not that he and I are necessarily representative enough for a full picture, but it's kinda ridiculous to insist no one watches something when you don't.
    "How you treat the weak is
    Your true nature calling" -- Jane's Addiction

Not 'Boxxy'!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    I watch the 11 o'clock local late-night newscast, although I've usually fallen asleep by 11:15 by the time they've gotten to the weather, which is my primary reason for tuning in. But, it is a real factor that NBC's affiliates were upset with the much smaller lead-in to the newscast with Jay at 10, as opposed to Law and Order and whatever dramas they put on at that hour. Apparently, people still do watch.

Not 'Boxxy'!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by reckless View Post
    It doesn't work that way. The late-night talk shows require a lead-in from the late local news, which, in turn, require a lead-in from the primetime network schedule. Fox's late-night already suffers from the fact that people switch from Fox to primetime programming on other networks instead of watching the local Fox news. To then put in another 35 minutes of filler would further degrade the Fox late-night audience.
    I have my doubts if viewers will watch a sixty-minute newscast at 10.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by missflick View Post
    You mean Conan?

Actually, I meant Jay, as he was saying things like

"I heard the weather was great at FOX this time of year."
    and
    "NBC stands for Never Believe Your Contract."

But that was a week ago and now Conan is talking about walking, so, who knows.

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast