Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by manleywoman View Post
    Yes, however I read a WaPo article last week about how when Leno took over for Carson, the ratings dropped and stayed dropped for over a year until he could get the groove back. They didn't give Conan enough time to do the same.

That's exactly what has pissed me off about this, because I well remember when Leno's ratings were in the toilet that first year and Letterman was kicking his arse. Leno changed his entire show to bring ratings up - the set was rebuilt & everything as I remember.
    Give me one more quiet night, before this loud morning gets it right, and does me in.
    ~DC

vCash
    I am still at the amount of money Conan is receiving simply for being let go/unemployed. How many Americans would love to receive that much money in unemployment benefits or severance packages?! If I didn't perform well at my job, or if my "rating" wasn't what my boss thought it should be, I'd be let go with only my final paycheck and perhaps whatever I received for cashing in my vacation and/or sick leave. I know; life isn't fair. A friend of mine posted on her Facebook status last night to think about how that money could be used to help the Haitians.

vCash
    there are contracts in the hollywood world.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lacey View Post
    Did Conan and all of his staff move from NYC to Cal for this show? If so, I hope he and they are able to uproot their kids again and able to sell their houses if they end up back in NYC. Personally, I do agree that he has a more east coast rather than Hollywood vibe.
    Not to mention that the LA sunshine can't be too great for Conan's famously pale and sensitive skin -- he must have invested in a huge supply of SPF90 sunscreen before moving West.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Stefanie View Post
    I am still at the amount of money Conan is receiving simply for being let go/unemployed.
    And he wasn't let go. His show was moved back a half hour. And he flipped out.

vCash
    He didn't flip out......he said he wasn't going to move the show. It wouldn't be the "tonight" show when it's starting the next morning. Either way, happy for Conan. Hope Jay tanks.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Satellitegirl View Post
    He didn't flip out......he said he wasn't going to move the show. It wouldn't be the "tonight" show when it's starting the next morning. Either way, happy for Conan. Hope Jay tanks.
    I hope they both do well -- Jay with the "Tonight Show" and Conan with the "Whatever Time of the Night Show" on some network that is not NBC.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Satellitegirl View Post
    Overall I blame NBC, but if Leno agreed to leave, he should have left. He could have done specials, more standup, etc.
    NBC offered Leno a contract to stay. He did not force himself on NBC. He did not demand a show. He was happy to entertain offers from other networks. He did not stage a sit-in in the parking lot until they gave him the 10 PM show.

NBC panicked when it became clear Leno intended to keep working on television after leaving The Tonight Show. He never said he was going to leave television. I know I'm a broken record, but I'll say again, NBC should have picked one or the other -- Leno or O'Brien -- and put the network's full weight behind that person as host of The Tonight Show.

I personally think O'Brien was not a good choice for The Tonight Show. His East Coast sensibility and edgy quality are not suited for a Hollywood based show in the 11:30 time slot. But if NBC execs believed in him, they should have believed in him 100% instead of the way it was handled.

I will not cry for him or his staff. All are leaving well compensated.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessLeppard View Post
    And he wasn't let go. His show was moved back a half hour. And he flipped out.
    Not sure why this was such a problem -- his ratings in the later time slot are what made him someone that NBC didn't want to let go and got him the "Tonight Show" gig in the first place. I guess "the grass is always greener" -- but I'd say that $32M is a lot of green.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatingfan5 View Post
    Not sure why this was such a problem -- his ratings in the later time slot are what made him someone that NBC didn't want to let go and got him the "Tonight Show" gig in the first place.
    Ego. If a show starts after midnight, it's not The Tonight Show, and he was promised The Tonight Show.

Also, it seemed a recipe for more trouble, so best to cut your losses.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pixie cut View Post
    Ego. If a show starts after midnight, it's not The Tonight Show, and he was promised The Tonight Show.
    What an elitist, East-coast-centric attitude! Here in the heartland, it would still have been the Tonight Show, starting at 11:05 p.m. -- even if it's taped at around 4 in the afternoon, which is NOT exactly night anyway.

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    I am still at the amount of money Conan is receiving simply for being let go/unemployed. How many Americans would love to receive that much money in unemployment benefits or severance packages?! If I didn't perform well at my job, or if my "rating" wasn't what my boss thought it should be, I'd be let go with only my final paycheck and perhaps whatever I received for cashing in my vacation and/or sick leave.
    Many people let go due to performance issues are given severance packages beyond their last paycheck and vacation time. It's not just CEOs of Fortune 500 companies.

to Conan for fighting for the extra money for severance for his staff.
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fenway2 View Post
    And you don't judge a guy based on 7 months of performance.
    Most places I know give you a 6 month probationary period. if you don't work to expectations, you are let go. Or a performance improvement plan is put into place - which could be the case here "we will give you some help with Jay in the first 30 minutes and you follow just not as late as before". Often times in network television, your show doesn't do well it can be canceled quickly sometimes after the first airing.

unless some of you/us know exactly what went out behind the closed doors and what was in the contract neogiations, we don't know that Jay or Conan are the bad guys here. It might be that NBC is not the bad guy.

My personal thoughts about the whole situation has blame enough for all and listed below is my assumption of what happened.

Jay didn't want to retire, NBC strong armed him to sign the contract ~ 5years ago to turn the show over to Conan. Didn't want to, but NBC wanted it.

Conan was threatening to leave, NBC wanted to retain him so wrote a contract that would appease Conan, perhaps because that Dave Letterman showed them that one could be succesful on another network.

Time's up, Jay is reminded that he is leaving, he's still not ready to and talks about walking. Conan is excited because what he wanted is "finally happening". Jay makes noises about leaving, NBC has to find a way to appease him.

Conan moves to 11:30 (10:30 CST). Jay moves to 10 (9 CST). Neither shows are as successful as before the change. Affiliates are angry that their viewerships are dropping.

NBC has three parties to appease here. Affiliates are probably saying "it wasn't broke until you broke it" Offered solutions that they felt would appease everyone and ends up appeasing no one. Conan says "I'm walking" thinking that NBC will support him over Jay. NBC called his bluff.

Who wins here? don't know Who loses here? just about everyone. I don't see anyway this will work out for anyone.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kruss View Post
    That's exactly what has pissed me off about this, because I well remember when Leno's ratings were in the toilet that first year and Letterman was kicking his arse. Leno changed his entire show to bring ratings up - the set was rebuilt & everything as I remember.
    That probably didn't bother NBC at the time. NBC went from paying Johnny Carson $20 million a year (and remember how he worked 3 days a week the last few years?) to Leno for $5 million a year. Also, Leno's sidekick doubled as the band leader. No Ed McMahon to pay for, either.

BTW, I heard that just before Leno was awarded the Tonight Show, he signed a contract to do Vegas shows every weekend for 10 years. He honored the contract and did the shows every weekend in addition to doing the Tonight Show!

According to a December 2008 poll by Harris Interactive, Mr. Leno ranked No. 1 when 2,388 respondents were asked "Who is your favorite TV personality?" beating Hugh Laurie from Fox medical drama "House," Ellen DeGeneres and Oprah Winfrey, among others.
    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...853566592.html

Originally Posted by Stefanie
    I am still at the amount of money Conan is receiving simply for being let go/unemployed.
    Maybe it was part of the contract all along, based on this old article:

Originally posted Jul 11, 2008
    JAY LENO'S WHEEL OF FORTUNE
    The outgoing Tonight Show host has countless career options at his disposal. Here, we outline the six most likely scenarios for Leno's future. Spin, wheel, spin!

NBC
    Unless the brass pay Conan O'Brien some $40 million in penalties, Leno loses Johnny Carson's chair. He could set up shop in prime time, maybe hosting a 10 p.m. series a few nights a week
    http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20211733_4,00.html

And maybe NBC concluded they would have lost even more money if O'Brien developed a successful show on another network a few years ago.

So...what if, God forbid, Leno dies in the near future? Will Jimmy Fallon take his place? Carson Daly?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    Why is Conan called "Coco" ? Everytime I hear the name Coco, I immediately think that Courtney Cox and David Arquette's daughter is all grown up and is in show business .
    In Friday night show, Tom Hanks said he was responsible for the nickname. It was a great show. I loved Conan's closing monologue. It was classy, and hit all the right notes.

vCash
    I am still at the amount of money Conan is receiving simply for being let go/unemployed. How many Americans would love to receive that much money in unemployment benefits or severance packages?! If I didn't perform well at my job, or if my "rating" wasn't what my boss thought it should be, I'd be let go with only my final paycheck and perhaps whatever I received for cashing in my vacation and/or sick leave. I know; life isn't fair. A friend of mine posted on her Facebook status last night to think about how that money could be used to help the Haitians.
    But if I left my job for a new one and failed miserably at the new one; I wouldn't be able to just get my old job back, screwing over my replacement and everyone who worked under him. So this logic can easily be applied to Jay as well.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PDilemma View Post
    But if I left my job for a new one and failed miserably at the new one; I wouldn't be able to just get my old job back, screwing over my replacement and everyone who worked under him. So this logic can easily be applied to Jay as well.
    Jay Leno didn't leave his old job willingly. He simply followed orders. And he was mighty fine at his old job. It's not Leno who screwed over his replacement, it's NBC network brass who made this decision. They could have sacked Leno, paid out his contract and kept O'Brien as host of The Tonight Show.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pixie cut View Post
    Jay Leno didn't leave his old job willingly.
    Where do you get this from? So far I keep seeing this mostly coming from you and not anyone else. If you got it from an article please link it. Also a current article about the past isn't so trustworthy. He has reason to rewrite the past given all the controversy. I'm more interested in what he said at the time he quit the Tonight Show.
    "Half the harm that is done in this world is due to people who want to feel important. They don't mean to do harm -- but the harm does not interest them. Or they do not see it, or they justify it because they are absorbed in the endless struggle to think well of themselves." – T.S. Eliot

vCash
    I thought everyone knew Jay was forced to give up the Tonight Show? That it was standard knowledge?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessLeppard View Post
    I thought everyone knew Jay was forced to give up the Tonight Show? That it was standard knowledge?
    Yes, it's standard knowledge. There have been countless articles over the past five years. Anyone who thinks I dreamed it up has been under a rock. Even people who don't like Leno and think he should have graciously stepped aside for O'Brien acknowledge that Leno NEVER wanted to give up The Tonight Show. As he said in an interview just before he did his last Tonight Show, people asked him why he didn't fight harder to keep it. He said he was the kind of guy who didn't want to stay where he wasn't wanted. But as he said ON THE AIR on his show about a week ago, he never wanted to leave that job.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvFzH...eature=related

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast