Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    vCash
    I think Jay will walk. He has made it very clear that he is not happy with what is going on. There are rumors that he is considering a offer from Fox.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Latte View Post
    I think Jay will walk. He has made it very clear that he is not happy with what is going on. There are rumors that he is considering a offer from Fox.
    You mean Conan?

vCash
    I hope Conan walks. He deserves better.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Satellitegirl View Post
    I hope Conan walks. He deserves better.
    Reminds me of that famous quote by Johnny Carson to Letterman in the early 1990s:

Obviously, Conan should watch The Late Shift. Not only is it directly relevant to his current predicament, it is littered with nuggets of advice that have magically become useful for him:

"[The deal] is not right. It's shoddy. They're giving you damaged goods."

"If I was treated this way, I would walk." --Johnny Carson advising Letterman

"They're not giving you the Johnny Carson Tonight Show...they're giving you The Jay Leno Show."

"How can a television show be worth all this embarrassment?"

"Fox is...well, Fox is Fox. They're three-quarters of a network at best."

"You can't follow Jay Leno for the rest of your life, you'll hate yourself."
    http://www.avclub.com/articles/advic...shift%2C36923/

Remember when Letterman's show was on NBC and he kept referring to the NBC/General Electric executives as 'pinheads'? Now, more than ever, we know Letterman wasn't exaggerating.

BTW, Wanda Sykes' show is on Fox. That could make an ugly predicament for Fox, too, if Conan moves there. http://www.fox.com/wanda/

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by deltask8er View Post

BTW, Wanda Sykes' show is on Fox. That could make an ugly predicament for Fox, too, if Conan moves there. http://www.fox.com/wanda/
    Why? Because she'd be bumped? I read a month ago she was getting piss poor ratings.
    "How you treat the weak is
    Your true nature calling" -- Jane's Addiction

vCash
    I usually love Wanda, but I could not watch her after about 10 minutes. I tried several times. I would watch Leno on Fox, but not Conan. However, the general audience age group for Fox (not Faux news) is younger and probably are Conan fans

Duck Hunter
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Andora View Post
    Craig Fergusson is the best, imho. He even had a hilarious clip talking about the whole situation, culminating with "but we were the worst at the same time, every day of the week." Love him, and hope he moves on to bigger and better things in the future.

Conan would be great on Comedy, I bet. When he, Colbert and Stewart did their writers' strike bit, I was impressed. It seemed to fit. He could be the non-political hour.

I agree 100%. The promising Southland was bumped from the network to make room for Jay. I was suddenly glad none of my favourite shows were on NBC. What happened to the peacock? Didn't they rule evening television once upon a time? Wasn't Friends on here? Wasn't it a slightly edgy, more mature option to Disney's ABC?

I've never heard Conan likened to a frat boy. I wish I'd gone to your post secondary institution, then, as the frat boys I've known weren't that clever. But it does show that Conan's not the general audience pleaser NBC hoped he'd be, which I'm not too surprised about.
    Conan is too clever and too dorky to be a frat boy

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    Letterman's jokes about this situation last night were very funny. he opened with "I'm still not getting the Tonight Show"
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex View Post
    I thought TNT picked up Southland. I hope so, 'cause I lurve Regina King; she deserves a good show.
    Rex
    I heard on TBS a promo that Southland is on tonight at 10:00 EST on TNT.

vCash
    It did pick up Southland, but that's a touch of a step down from NBC, isn't it?

Regina King is amazing. As is, surprisingly, Ben McKenzie from The OC.

vCash
    And he's made his decision! Conan's statement

I have so much respect for him right now.
    Give me one more quiet night, before this loud morning gets it right, and does me in.
    ~DC

Demon Barber
    vCash
    Me too. Good for you Conan. LOL abt your hair.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kruss View Post

Let's see what NBC does now!! They screwed up when they allowed Jay Leno to call the shots. He was the one who wanted to retire so NBC looked around for a replacement and Conan stepped up. Then Jay decided he didn't want to retire so got NBC to give him that primetime show - which was never going to work in a million years. That totally took the audience away from the local news broadcasts and the Tonight Show itself - never giving Conan a chance to develop an audience IMHO. NBC are reaping what they sowed - and they are looking more and more like they are up s#%ts creek without a paddle!!

vCash
    Man, Conan really let NBC have it. At least in a world of over-PR'd statements. He wasn't rude or bitter, but he didn't pull any punches. Good on him.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lorac View Post
    Let's see what NBC does now!! They screwed up when they allowed Jay Leno to call the shots. He was the one who wanted to retire so NBC looked around for a replacement and Conan stepped up. Then Jay decided he didn't want to retire
    This is what gets me. Why should Jay just be able to change his mind like that? Doesn't he realize other people are relying, to their detriment, on his promises? Can't people honor their commitments?
    "Marge, if you're going to get mad at me every time I do something stupid, then I guess I'm just going to have to stop doing stupid things!" - Homer Simpson in the Mr. Plow episode

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kruss View Post

Totally. Good for him for not accepting the huge slam that NBC was serving, for pointing out that the network brought their troubles onto themselves and are going back on their word, and for name checking Carson, Letterman and even Fallon.

I hope that NBC leaves Conan's Tonight Show as it is and gets rid of Leno (whose appeal I never understood). If not, I hope Conan gets another opportunity soon and is able to shine - I think he will come out of this with more interest than he had before.
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash

Good for Conan for standing up to NBC like that. He (and other prominent members of his crew) uprooted themselves and their families to move across the country and it's not fair that NBC can just go, "Hey, never mind!" just a few months in.

vCash
    And unless I'm mistaken, Conan is leveling a bit of anger towards Leno too. The "10 pound jaw" joke last night, the "like my predecessor" part in the statement that discusses how Leno had time to overcome the shaky ratings he had in the beginning.
    Give me one more quiet night, before this loud morning gets it right, and does me in.
    ~DC

vCash
    Anyone want to theorize this is all a conspiracy to get more viewers to watch The Tonight Show and get ratings back to NBC? lol

Also, good for Conan. I loved his statement. Well said, and lol @ the hair.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Andora View Post
    Why? Because she'd be bumped? I read a month ago she was getting piss poor ratings.
    I'm pretty sure Wanda Sykes is only on once a week (Saturdays?). So, creating a show for Conan (or Leno) wouldnt affect her.

Good on Conan for standing up. He's right, it wouldnt be "the tonight show" if it didnt start until after midnight. I've enjoyed him at 11:35, and I hope he stays there. The ball is in NBCs court.

I agree with what others have said. Jay retired. Then he changed his mind, and got the 10:00 show (who the heck thought that was a good idea). He screwed local news, he screwed Conan. It's time for Jay to actually retire and go away. Put things back to how they should be, and maybe Conan can do something with the TOnight Show.
    Erm.... I got nothin'

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast