Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast
    vCash

Jay Leno back to old timeslot?

vCash
    That's just bullshit. Conan is 10x funnier than Jay has ever been.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by uyeahu View Post
    That's just bullshit. Conan is 10x funnier than Jay has ever been.
    Co-signed.

vCash
    This was a bad idea from the start, and it's no surprise it's not working. It was a move done by NBC because it filled a lot of holes in their lineup, and because it was cheap. So now they have more problems on their hands than they solved.

vCash
    Sounds like one hot mess!

vCash
    Johnny Carson, as you know... or maybe you don't know, maybe you don't care......

vCash
    I like both Jay and Conan, but I'm not going to watch whoever is on later, at least not during the school year...

vCash
    Conan may be funnier (agreed), but I believe his ratings are no where near Jay's. I believe Jay regularly beat Dave Letterman, too. Who is also way funnier.
    "How you treat the weak is
    Your true nature calling" -- Jane's Addiction

vCash
    Well, it's a mess as it is. However, Conan will probably get mad and quit if Jay is given the 11:30 back. However, Conan is a lesser personality, so he will be bumped back, regardless of whether or not we like him better. Personally, I'm with Dave.

vCash
    Leno is old-school. Conan will attract the younger audiences. I think Conan is a better investment long term.

vCash
    I like Conan way better than Jay as well. Conan isn't as good at 11:30 as he was at 12:30, but still funnier than Jay, IMO. I've always found Jay annoying and he goes for the most obvious jokes and repeats them over and over again.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jenny12 View Post
    I've always found Jay annoying and he goes for the most obvious jokes and repeats them over and over again.
    And that's why Jay is more popular with the general audience, I'd bet.

Not that it's necessarily a elitism thing. The day is long, and laughs shouldn't be hard to come by at the end of it.
    "How you treat the weak is
    Your true nature calling" -- Jane's Addiction

vCash
    Craig Ferguson is the best of all of them.

vCash
    As I recall, Leno had a very bumpy first season too...Letterman beat him all the time back then.

Can't stand Leno, love Conan, and I think it would be awful if this happened.
    Give me one more quiet night, before this loud morning gets it right, and does me in.
    ~DC

vCash
    So, Leno FAILS at 10 and affiliates bitch and moan so Conan is the one who loses out? I just don't understand. Leno is the king of mediocrity. BOOO.

(Just to expand on my earlier post).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Andora View Post
    Conan may be funnier (agreed), but I believe his ratings are no where near Jay's. I believe Jay regularly beat Dave Letterman, too. Who is also way funnier.
    Letterman had higher ratings at first. Leno substituted on the Tonight Show a million times before the gig was his, so viewers weren't as fascinated with Leno as a result. A few months into it (1993?), it settled into the pattern that Leno usually got higher ratings (he's in L.A., so his show gets the superstars first) but Letterman had a younger audience (the demographic age advertisers lurve). I believe Letterman was able to sell advertising time at a higher rate as a result.

Quote Originally Posted by hydro View Post
    Leno is old-school. Conan will attract the younger audiences. I think Conan is a better investment long term.
    Which is why NBC decided to keep O'Brien under contract....not lose him to another network..and decided who would replace Leno almost a decade before it happened .

Posted 9/27/2004 2:05 PM
    Conan will take over 'Tonight Show' in 2009
    By Gary Levin, USA TODAY
    NEW YORK — NBC's Tonight Show is getting a new host — in 2009.

http://www.usatoday.com/life/people/...no-conan_x.htm

Other articles today:

http://mediadecoder.blogs.nytimes.co...0-conan-at-12/

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118013455.html

I find the talk/comedy shows on cable tv more interesting, anyway.

vCash
    Conan is more popular with younger audiences, there are many other edgier late night shows on cable for that timeframe. I believe that the 11:30 ET or 10:30 CST is a slightly older population who either turn to Letterman or CNN for late night TV since Leno left late night. Who will probably tune back in with Leno at that time.

Conan repeats jokes and banter too, just is more insulting and bitter about it. And there is usually nothing funny about it.

Personally, I prefer Chelsea Lately, she is edgy, funny and brings in others to help her.

vCash
    I'm one who prefers Leno, but to be honest I don't watch him at the 10 p.m. slot. I'm usually watching something else or busy so I forget that he is on. I will sometimes be flipping channels and find him on at that time. However, I don't set out to watch him then like I did at 11:30.

I've never liked Conan, who I just don't appreciate. I know there are those who do though.

vCash
    Maybe it's a personal thing, but I tried to watch Conan's monologue. Just couldn't get into it. Same with Ferguson. But I do love their talk with guests. Gotta give Carson and McMahon credit when imitations of them have become common stock among comedians. Their banter is a trademark! "How __ is it?" "It was so __..."

vCash
    A person familiar with Mr. O'Brien's camp said there had been "approaches" by other networks since it emerged Thursday that NBC hopes to return former "Tonight Show" host Jay Leno to his longtime 11:35 p.m. eastern perch at the General Electric Co. network, displacing Mr. O'Brien.

One suitor is News Corp.'s Fox network, which has had early discussions with Mr. O'Brien's circle about hosting another late-night show, ...
    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...133894126.html

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast