Page 50 of 50 FirstFirst ... 40484950
Results 981 to 1,000 of 1000
    It's either a very big ice rink, or there's a lake under there.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by agalisgv View Post
    It's hard to get college scholarships when one is an older male student. Most merit based ones are restricted to high-school seniors applying (and those tend to be very competitive).
    You apply to a college, you go to http://www.fafsa.ed.gov, you see what combinations of loans, grants and scholarships might be available to you. Plenty of people of all ages go back to school to pursue 2nd (or 3rd) careers and are doing so with financial aid. I work at a college part-time and I've never heard of a gap in aid for people between ages 21 and 30.

vCash
    I didn't say financial aid wasn't available. I said getting merit-based scholarships is hard if you are attending college for the first time in your twenties and took a significant break after high school. For one, I don't think test scores would still be valid for Weir at this point.

Loans are always an option, but scholarships are more difficult to come by.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by agalisgv View Post
    For one, I don't think test scores would still be valid for Weir at this point.
    I'm not so sure about that. I have a friend who went through a very difficult period after high school and ended up flunking out of community college. At age twenty-four, she turned things around and applied to some fairly competitive colleges, using her high school ACT scores. She got accepted to several good schools and received a good deal of grant money from the one she chose to attend.

Not saying it would be the same for Johnny, but it is possible if his test scores are good. If he mentions that he delayed college in order to pursue competitive skating, that might also help him.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RockTheTassel View Post
    I'm not so sure about that. I have a friend who went through a very difficult period after high school and ended up flunking out of community college.
    Test scores are valid for five years. Weir's scores would be past that.

It's also easier if someone has attended at least some college rather than applying for the first time.

Anyhow, Weir could go to college if he wanted. Community colleges would certainly be a low cost option. But he hasn't expressed any serious interest in doing so, and he hasn't expressed in career goals that would require a college degree. Since he doesn't seem to be working towards an academic goal, I would suspect that's not high on his agenda.

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rfisher View Post
    Joan Rivers has spend decades in the business, starting as a stand up comic and as a comedy writer. The runway stuff is only lately with the advent of more entertainment type award shows. Apart from JR who has indeed paid her dues, most celebrities who have no real talent (singing, dancing, comedy writing) have a very short shelf life. Being OTT doesn't keep you in show biz very long unless you're ultra rich. Weir isn't. He's doing everything he can to keep doing the cable TV talk show rounds and keep his name on the Internet. The problem is, he'll become so yesterday by tomorrow. The fact he's doing these things is an indication that he'll keep desperately seeking that ethereal fame.
    Well there's also Ryan Seacreast, Mario Lopez, Olivia Munn, Cat Deeley, and Maria Menounos. I actually have no idea if they've "paid their dues" like Joan has, but they're most famous now for being TV presenters.

Saint Smugpawski
    Cutting Down Privet Because Food Prices Are Going Up Next Year
    vCash
    They don't build 'em like Bob Hope anymore.
    The fastest thing out of New Jersey since Tricky Nicky in a Muscovian handbasket

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Anita18 View Post
    Well there's also Ryan Seacreast, Mario Lopez, Olivia Munn, Cat Deeley, and Maria Menounos. I actually have no idea if they've "paid their dues" like Joan has, but they're most famous now for being TV presenters.
    Lopez was an actor first, and I'd be surprised if he was more famous for being a TV presenter than Saved By the Bell.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Anita18 View Post
    I don't know about the ladies there, but Ryan Seacrest got his start in radio when he was in high school and first made his name there; he still has two nationally syndicated radio shows and he produces several TV shows.

Mario Lopez has been acting since he was about 10 years old and has been in at least two series, if not more. He's also written a couple of books about fitness.

None of that means Johnny can't be a host, just that those two didn't suddenly start hosting work.
    Trolling dates all the way back to 397 B.C. - People began following Plato around and would make fart noises after everything he said.

vCash
    According to this article from People magazine, Johnny knows his fame is not long-lasting:

"People talk about how trashy it is to use 15 minutes of fame, but I'm trying to pursue all of this in a professional way and do the best I can," says Weir. "I don' t care if I fail. I just have fun trying to do these things."
    It's good that he acknowledges that the fame is temporary, though the "professional" part made me eyeroll.

Title-less
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparks View Post
    I believe Johnny said on his show that he couldn't sew.
    Sometimes a career option sounds alluring but once you really look into it you realize you can't stand the the stuff day in day out. I used to dream about being a lawyer but one business law course in college and I realized that reading court opinions made me

I think with Johnny the issue is getting too used to the attention and needing someone to help him focus. If he can get over the two issues he can find an option easily enough. He is good at languages and I can see him teaching Russian one day or something. He can study in Russia and Japan, do some ice shows, coaching, etc.
    Or he can stay where he is and try choreographing and help Marakova and other skaters with their elements and doing some occasional ice shows.

But I can totally see him competing against Evan for the same gigs (shows, commentating, etc.) for years to come. Expect the rivalry to continue.

I'm still I can't make a living out of being a skating fan.
    Last edited by jlai; 05-04-2010 at 02:30 AM.

vCash

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by carriecmu0503 View Post
    Yes, we've seen that one . Go back a few pages and you can see all the and
    Trolling dates all the way back to 397 B.C. - People began following Plato around and would make fart noises after everything he said.

AYS's snark-sponge
    vCash
    ooh do we get to start counting down to the end now? 10...9...
    Congratulations 2014 World Ice Dance Champions Anna Cappellini & Luca Lanotte!!!

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    And then there will be a fresh, new thread......

AYS's snark-sponge
    vCash
    where everyone can express their opinions again in entirely and completely new... posts...
    Congratulations 2014 World Ice Dance Champions Anna Cappellini & Luca Lanotte!!!

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Sorta like most of the off season discussions around here.

And everything in PI .

AYS's snark-sponge
    vCash
    We are here to hear ourselves talk!

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Well, I started this thread way back on January 6 so I'd like to get one of the final posts in!

Title-less
    vCash
    What will the new thread title be? We need something more colorful.

e.g. "More in Johnnyville"
    "Weirisms #2"

Any other suggestions?

Skating Pairs with Drew
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jlai View Post
    What will the new thread title be? We need something more colorful.

e.g. "More in Johnnyville"
    "Weirisms #2"

Any other suggestions?
    When you're Weiry

Page 50 of 50 FirstFirst ... 40484950