Page 11 of 50 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
    Skating Pairs with Drew
    vCash
    Johnny's costumes don't bother me. The time and focus that he puts on them, does. I think that the music is much more important. He makes such poor choices there. What good does a great costume do if you are skating to the theme song from Barney, or other elevator music?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pennskater View Post
    I also liked his LP costume. The fur was not over the top at all. Gave a nice soft look to depict the angel aspect.
    The short costume is definitely eye catching .. lol... and a little out there, but again, I think it's fine. I especially liked the camera close up of his glove with the pink accent on one finger.. that was hysterical. The only thing that is slightly OTT is the pink tassel ...

But I agree - I want to see him do all of his jumps in a long program (or at least maybe only miss one jump like Bradley did - doubled the 3 axel). At least he learned not to try to change his program to try to get that 3axel in later.
    Johnny has a beautiful 3A so IMO he SHOULD have replaced his 2A with a 3A...that's called thinking on your feet.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by igniculus View Post
    Johnny has his own spark, he can execute the same kind of jumps and could be on the top too. What's keeping him?
    Gee, I have no idea, maybe you should knock on the door of his brain and find out. I have no idea how these world class athletes accomplish, well, any of what they have accomplished. I just know my own legs would be jelly and I would stroke out.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pennskater View Post
    Also - Im surprised more people aren't irate over the PCS scores that Evan was gifted with .. compare Bradley, Weir and Lysacek. Bradley and Weir are much lower in EVERY aspect of PCS than Lysacek ... that makes no sense. Bradley's choreography and interpretation should be huge. Weir's skating skills should be huge ...

If it weren't for the huge PCS differences in short and free, the results would have been different.
    While I historically have been far from an Evan fan I have come to appreciate his improvement, longevity and consistency of strong skating for so many years now, his ability to come back and shock people like he did last year, and the attack and confidence had been skating with of late. However I agree he was held up in the scores at Nationals this year. His PCS were very generous compared to both Weir and Bradley's performances in the LP anyway. His ekeing out 2nd in the SP with a botched triple axel over a clean Weir was even perhaps questionable. He definitely got a World Champions boost to his scores, but as others have said that was to be expected I suppose.

with my Sestra Helena plotting how to ravish Hot Paul and delicious Cal
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by taf2002 View Post
    Johnny has a beautiful 3A so IMO he SHOULD have replaced his 2A with a 3A...that's called thinking on your feet.
    . . . and that's exactly what Johnny doesn't do well.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by taylorfax View Post
    Gee, I have no idea, maybe you should knock on the door of his brain and find out.
    Would love to do any time.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rococo View Post
    Yes, of course. I am overreacting. And I hope you're right about "blessing in disguise." They are all great the guys over there, just made the team. ..And I loved what Jeremy did yesterday, but just because I thinnk Jonny is a better skater than Evan, the second place would be a little better for his confidence, and his habit to pop jumps. I wish him the best, really. But no one who wants to medal in Vancouver should give up on his jumps (IMHO)
    Were you as harsh on Jeremy for his SP at the GPF? Or when Jeremy bombed his other GP events? Were you happy when Johnny didn't pop any jumps at the GPF? People have up and down competitions...look at Lysacek at the last Nationals...who knows how anyone will skate at the Olympics or at any competition. I prefer to take a longer view rather than criticizing a few performances: you win some, you lose some.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by taf2002 View Post
    Which Jeff Buttle does very well...but how many others do well consistently?

vCash
    New article here

Steve Kelley: Figure skating's flamboyant Johnny Weir must be taken seriously

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pattycake View Post
    One thing i just don't understand---why does Johnny feel the need to try and come across so Russian ? He was even speaking full Russian at the boards before his skate.We all know his coach speaks English, so if you are an American and representing the USA , i think its wrong to portray otherwise. Don't get me wrong ,i happen to love Russia and Johnny,but if i were the USA fed i would not be to pleased.Any thoughts on this?
    His coach's English is not good. So I think it's easier for them to converse in Russian.
    Last edited by rococo; 01-18-2010 at 08:44 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hailstorm View Post
    Were you as harsh on Jeremy for his SP at the GPF? Or when Jeremy bombed his other GP events? Were you happy when Johnny didn't pop any jumps at the GPF? People have up and down competitions...look at Lysacek at the last Nationals...who knows how anyone will skate at the Olympics or at any competition. I prefer to take a longer view rather than criticizing a few performances: you win some, you lose some.
    I am sorry, if I sounded overly critical (I didn't mean that, probably a language barrier). I am more concerned with Johnny's performance, then with Jeremy's or Evan's, because: 1. I like Johnny. 2. He is always blathering about getting his title back, unlike Jeremy or Evan. I do believe they are happy with their medals, but they look like they go there and skate the best they can (even when making mistakes) while Johnny skates like he is there to prove something, an least it reads like this, thus putting more pressure on himself then necessary. I think this is what's holding him back(IMHO)
    Last edited by rococo; 01-18-2010 at 08:56 PM.

vCash
    I am sorry, if I sounded overly critical
    No worries. I probably overreacted. I also want Johnny to do well, and I can also see that his programs haven't been as pure as from a few years ago (the programs that Tarasova created for him were the best for him, IMO).

I think he is serious and he does want to do well, but has trouble putting it together mentally (what happened to listening to your headphones and being "on vacation" at competition, Johnny? Jeremy was listening to his headphones...you can relax, too). I don't personally think that his persona he presents to the media has much at all, if anything, to do with his seriousness in skating; after all, he's been very low key, it's just with the recent National championships and his reality series kicking off that the media has escalated.

vCash
    I don't personally think that his persona he presents to the media has much at all, if anything, to do with his seriousness in skating;
    That is my point exactly. The discrepancy between his "real" reality and the one he is trying to project. If he is an aspired showman, he should know that the "put on theatrics" are not as powerful as "genuine life on stage." I really wish he gets it. No matter how much he hates "official" rules and regulations, he is playing this game. Anyway.... GO JOHNNY

vCash
    I do believe they are happy with their medals, but they look like they go there and skate the best they can (even when making mistakes) while Johnny skates like he is there to prove something, an least it reads like this, thus putting more pressure on himself then necessary. I think this is what's holding him back(IMHO)
    Rationally, I don't think he can be the same little careless butterfly, so to speak, that he was when he first won his National titles. This is a person who has been attacked on every level possible, personally and every tiny little thing about his skating. And someone who has thought of quitting the sport at least twice in the last 4 years. I think it's remarkable that he keeps on trying and hasn't given up, especially after last year. Which brings me back to the fact that whatever happens, I'm just so glad for him that he can go to Vancouver and get a second chance. A roller-coaster career but that much talent can never be counted out.

vCash
    Which Jeff Buttle does very well...but how many others do well consistently?
    I thought until last Nationals ( one year ago ), Johnny’s 3A was consistent compared with other skaters.

And Buttle was not really consistent , not only 3A but he rarely skated clean both programs until Worlds 2008. And Buttle ended his career with his best performance, so people’s memory may often be of the closest past performance and so their memory is that his 3A was the most consistent ? I don’t think any skater’s 3A looks consistent in my view except maybe Plushenko.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pattycake View Post
    One thing i just don't understand---why does Johnny feel the need to try and come across so Russian ? He was even speaking full Russian at the boards before his skate.We all know his coach speaks English, so if you are an American and representing the USA , i think its wrong to portray otherwise. Don't get me wrong ,i happen to love Russia and Johnny,but if i were the USA fed i would not be to pleased.Any thoughts on this?
    He likes “exotic” everything, and Russia is now his “exotic culture” hobby. Before it was Kabbalah….

“The Russia” that he is “mystified with” is not the “Cold war -USSR” but the “Nejinski/Nureyev/Petipa/Mariinsky/etc kind of Russia”, the literature, the painted Palekh boxes, the grandeur of Russian Palaces, art, music, etc.

There is nothing wrong with that. Has he instead adopted “as his own” the culture of some other country, one that has no history of confrontations with USA, or one that is “meek and poor and pitied”, there would be no questions about Weir’s patriotism.

If Johnny was into “Monks of Tibet”, or some “Pygmy Tribal Rituals”, he’d be praised for “sympathizing with the forgotten and suppressed”.. ..

But the Hegemonic Russia – is a sore in the eye, naturally……. For some it’s the “Soviet Times and cold war with USA”, and for some it’s “Ballet, Opera, Russian Royalty – how elitist!”.

North Americans did not mind when Yagudin walked around SLC in the Canadian Team Olympic Jacket…. and nobody minds that Russian School of Ice Dance made completely available to their dance teams with significant success results in the last 10 years…

I think I’ll send Johnny a Fed Ex to the rink with some beautiful Russian antique as a congratulation for making the Olympic Team…. And will write my note in Russian…. .

vCash
    He speaks Russian to Galina because her English is not perfect and she speaks Russian to him. That's all there is to it.

It's not an affront to the US, it's not because he loves Russia more than the US and thinks he is Russian, etc. Galina just understands Russian better than English. It's hardly worth worrying about.

The wiener takes it all
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinami Amori View Post
    I think I’ll send Johnny a Fed Ex to the rink with some beautiful Russian antique as a congratulation for making the Olympic Team…. And will write my note in Russian…. .
    He would love that!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Maitai View Post
    I thought until last Nationals ( one year ago ), Johnny’s 3A was consistent compared with other skaters.

And Buttle was not really consistent , not only 3A but he rarely skated clean both programs until Worlds 2008. And Buttle ended his career with his best performance, so people’s memory may often be of the closest past performance and so their memory is that his 3A was the most consistent ? I don’t think any skater’s 3A looks consistent in my view except maybe Plushenko.
    Johnny's 3A is a thing of beauty when he's on, but in the last 2 years, he has been inconsistent with pops. Maybe that's due to his thinking of quitting in the past, and not keeping with it steadily. Buttle was inconsistent as well. And, putting a 3A at the end of a program is insane ... lol ... even for someone like Plushenko. So, I'm very glad he didn't attempt one at the end of the program (to make up for the popped one), and got a high GOE on a 2A at the end instead. That was smart, IMO.

But it seems like 3A is a nemesis for lots of men this year - Evan, Johnny, Chan, Joubert, Lambiel all seem to have issues with it from time to time. Out of all of those, I would bet on Johnny's as being the best and most consistent, so he just needs to work on it and get more clean run throughs of the free. Even Jeremy has had issues with a second 3A, and is going to try to add one for the Oly's, so we will see if he is successful with that.

But Johnny will have to skate clean if he's not putting a quad in (and it seems he's not putting a quad in) if he hopes of getting a medal at the Olys. Plushenko, Jeremy, and others will all have a quad. He will have to hope that they miss it to medal without one. Very possible for that 3rd spot, but unlikely. And Johnny has yet to skate a clean free program in the past year.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    mmmMary wanted to know what else Galina said to Johnny before the free skate. Well, I can barely hear her but she seemed to be saying: "You are strong and you have everything. Don't give anything up, don't be afraid. You understand, yes?"

Again, she was away from the mic so it was hard to make out. The only phrases I am 100% sure about are the last two.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

Page 11 of 50 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast