vCash

Lilith Fair 2010

...is going on in another part of my city right now.

I would have loved to have gone, but paying $100 for general admission with no seating seemed a bit much to me. As was paying $175 for the seats furthest away from the stage. Apparently a bunch of the Lilith shows in the US were cancelled, and there are many angry ticket buyers who paid full price and then discovered all sorts of half-price or 2-for-1 deals for the same tickets they shelled out $$$$ for.

My friend who is six months pregnant, and has a general admission ticket, phoned the local promoters and asked if she could bring a chair to sit on. They said "no, because it could be used as a weapon". So I guess if you bring the chair in yourself it's a potential weapon, but the chair you pay the promoters to sit on *isn't* a potential weapon They told her she couldn't bring a blanket to sit on either. Although they didn't specify if that was a weapon or not.

On that cheerful (or chairful) note....anyone planning on going to other Lilith shows?
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    A lot of the dates are being canceled and artists are pulling out. Kelly Clarkson pulled out of all of her stops. Her official response is that she decided to focus on finishing her album (a selfish from me) but I think they probably had problems paying some of the big name artists when so many shows weren't selling.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

Celebrating Jeremy Abbott's FS at 2014 Worlds...
    vCash
    My sister and I were thinking of going to the Atlanta show in August, but if the lawn seat (aka SRO on the grassy knoll) tickets are a hundred bucks a pop, to hell with that.

I went to Lilith Fair back in 1999, and it was a fabulous event - the weather was great, the lineup of artists was kickass (Sarah M., The Pretenders (Chrissie Hynde), Shawn Colvin, Indigo Girls, Sheryl Crow, in addition to many other well-known female artists and musicians) , and the price of a ticket wasn't insanely expensive.

This year, however, Atlanta got pretty much screwed in terms of the line-up of performaers - the main artists/musician performing this year are Sarah McLachlan, Indigo Girls, Loretta Lynn, and Corrine Bailey Rae. IMO (and with my limited budget, it's just not worth spending that much money to see those four (along with several local and regional acts).

Go Team SW Florida! =)
    At Great American Ballpark cheering on my Cincinnati Reds
    vCash
    The lead singer of the group Bella Rose (I think they might only be performing a few shows on the tour including Minneapolis-St. Paul which is their home base) is a girl I've known since she was about 12 years old. Her family went to my church up until her dad retired and then they moved to Michigan about eight years ago. I'm friends with her on Facebook now and it's very cool to see her doing so well with her singing career.
    An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

"I guess I'm just...I'm not used to someone putting me first." -Emma, Once Upon a Time, episode 2x3, Lady of the Lake

vCash
    What's the point of putting together a concert where the only thing they have in common is being female? Can you imagine Lene Lovich and Mary Hopkin together on stage? If there was a venue featuring Marcia Ball and Angela Strehli, I could understand it, as they are both Texas blues.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jot the Dot Dot View Post
    What's the point of putting together a concert where the only thing they have in common is being female? Can you imagine Lene Lovich and Mary Hopkin together on stage? If there was a venue featuring Marcia Ball and Angela Strehli, I could understand it, as they are both Texas blues.
    I think you're missing the point. It's supposed to be a celebration of women in music.

The last time Lillith Fair was around, most of the artists in it were quite popular and very much in main stream music. Now with the current lineup, not so much (with the exception of a few). Music has changed a lot in 10 years. Top 40 seems to be a lot of rap, Lady Gaga and Justin Beiber, and not as many young female angsty singers. Lillith Fair is also coinciding with the release of Sarah McLachlan's new CD, her first new one in 7 years and I have a feeling she was hoping to boost her album sales. In all honesty, I'm not surprised Lillith isn't getting a lot of ticket sales. Between the high ticket price and the fast she doesn't have a huge mainstream name in the lineup (especially now that Clarkson's out) it seems like it was bound to fail.

Banned Member
    vCash
    I read an article yesterday that said there are so many summer concerts and tours by artists that sales are really lagging.

I wouldn't spend a dime on seeing anyone.
    Without fear you cannot find courage

vCash
    I'm going. We've got lawn seats. They were ten bucks each with no service fee! I've never even heard of half the acts, but for ten bucks and Sarah M, along with Heart, that's fine.

Live Nation has a lot of deals going on because concert sales in general are so slow. If you're willing to just chill in the back of the outdoor amphitheatres, the tickets for some of these shows are ridiculously cheap.

vCash
    I would have loved to have seen Lilith Fair when Sarah McLachlan helped found it the first year.
    ~I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it.~ (Charles R. Swindoll)

vCash
    Geez, if you're going to cancel shows, at least do it right....

So in at least one of the Lilith cities (Atlanta) Lilith has apparently been replaced with a "Sarah McLachlan and special guest" concert. And people who phone Ticketmaster and ask for a refund because it's not the same show they paid for are being told that Sarah McLachlan was the headliner for both events, so it *is* the same show and they can't get their money back.

In other cities that still have a show, but where the lineup has been changed quite substantially since it was first announced, people are also asking for refunds on the basis that it isn't the same show they bought tickets for. And some of these people are now getting emails from Ticketmaster saying (paraphrase) "as a reward for your being such a loyal customer, we are giving you two tickets for each one you purchased". So, as one of these people says, now they have twice as many tickets for a show they don't want to see
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    That is pretty crappy, people should be allowed to get their money back if they want with so many big name artists dropping out. If I had gone it would have been because Kelly Clarkson was there, with her dropping out I would want my money back. It might be a bit much for only one person but multiple people have dropped out and now the remaining lineup may be a bunch of people you don't know or like.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    I wanted to go but am now glad I didn't get tickets, since Kelly was part of the draw for me. The strange thing is that the local radio station already gave away (to one winner) a meet/greet with Kelly at the Chicago show. Hmmmm.....
    Give me one more quiet night, before this loud morning gets it right, and does me in.
    ~DC

vCash
    I went in 1999 but it's just too darn expensive.

That's really crappy about what's happening with people dropping out. Urgh. Ticketmaster sucks.

vCash
    Yeah, I know the tickets or promo information often says that the artist lineup may change, but especially if someone isn't sick or injured, then it's kind of lousy to substitute several of the main artists.

I have to say, though, that "Sarah McLachlan and special guest" could end up being better than what was originally planned. I went to the Lilith show last night, and I would have preferred longer sets from Sarah and from Heart (who was phenomenal) than seeing all the acts. That's partly because some of the acts just didn't appeal to me and partly because they spend so much time changing the equipment and stage between acts.

On the bright side, because sales are so bad, there are some very good deals to be had. I paid ten bucks for my ticket (and some guy from the show was randomly going around giving people upgraded tickets so that the venue wasn't half-empty up front, so we ended up with some good seats). The show was well worth it.

The other day, they had a two for one sale for Lilith. Yesterday, the venue was promoting $20 tickets for other acts this summer, like John Mayer and Rhianna, so it's clear that concert sales in general are hurting.

Anyway, if they're having good deals on the tickets and Heart is scheduled for your area, I'd definitely recommend going.

vCash
    I would go just to see Heart. I loved them!!
    ~I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it.~ (Charles R. Swindoll)

vCash
    My pregnant friend reports that at the Vancouver show there were six mainstage acts, and she got to see exactly one of them from the general admission area (the view from which was partially blocked by a lighting rig). She heard the rest of the acts while she was standing in line for a donair. The person ahead of her in the donair line had paid $300 each for two VIP seats, and never got to sit in them....she spent the entire time waiting in unfathomably long lineups for drinks and food. No outside food and drink was allowed, and there were 4 food vendors for 10,000 people.

Also, the VIP seating was for the mainstage only, which had only the evening show (four hours). There was no reserved seating - heck, there were no *seats* - for the two other stages where the secondary acts played during the day. So the people who shelled out for the big $$$ tickets didn't get any better view of the afternoon shows than the people who bought the general admission tickets. Which AFAIK wasn't mentioned on the ticket sales information.....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Twilight1 View Post
    I would go just to see Heart. I loved them!!
    They were incredibly good. They sound just as good as their recordings. I lost my voice screaming for them. The crowd just loved them -- and it was a very diverse crowd. Heart seemed to be having the time of their lives. They played some songs from an upcoming CD, and I'll definitely be buying it.

As for venue rules, reserved seating, etc., it really varies by venue. We were able to bring our food and drink. The good seats had reserved seating. However, that was just for the main stage. The lesser-known acts were on side stages in the afternoon with no real seats or reserved seating.