Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

vCash
    "You're a virgin who can't drive" is the biggest burn in cinematic history. RIP, Brittany.

vCash

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JILEN View Post
    This is shocking.

I like her as Luan in King of the Hill and in most of her earlier movies when she's wasn't scarily thin yet. For somebody who's only 32, her resume is actually long and impressive. This is so sad. She apparently has a gift.

Condolences to those people who really love and care about her.
    The film that I'm most familiar with that Brittany was in was Clueless. I had no idea that she was the voice of Luan from King of the Hill. I'm still shocked; I was watching my local news earlier and saw the report and while I do kind of remember talk of drugs I also didn't realize she was (was thought to be?) anorexic. Poor girl. How horrible for her family.

RIP Brittany and my condolences to her loved ones.

vCash
    This is so sad. I've always had a soft spot for Brittany Murphy, loved her in every movie I've seen her in. She's like the little sister you've always wanted. So sad this celebrity death is the toughest so far.

Running from Morozov...I'm blonde, after all! IL
    vCash
    She shined in whatever she was in, even before Clueless.

Her physical changes began back when she was dating Ashton, so it makes you wonder who's all either had a hand in her problems or just knew what was going on and did nothing.

vCash
    sad year.
    RIP.

vCash
    She had an enormous physical transformation between Clueless and her next big film Girl, Interrupted, where ironically she played a girl fighting a losing battle with an eating disorder. Girl, Interrupted was made long before she was dating Kutcher. She was wonderful in that film and 8 Mile as well. And of course, cannot forget her haunting "I'll never tell..." said in sing-song voice that was played in the seemingly endless stream of commercials for that film she was in with Michael Douglas.

vCash
    Sad news about Brittany. She was a talented actress and could be pretty funny too.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Angelskates View Post
    Vomiting can be symptomatic of a heart attack, especially in women. After having a scare a few months ago, I learned that women are so at risk for not getting help for a heart attack. Most of the symptoms that we hear about are what men would experience. Women experience cardiac episodes differently. they may not get that crushing chest pain. Often most of the pain is in the back. But shortness of breath and vomiting can be significant warnings for cardiac arrest in women.

Re: natural causes. I don't believe that rules out drugs or complications of an ED. The article I read said they determined that it was natural causes because there did not seem to be a struggle, there were no contusions or abrasions on her body, and they did not find illegal drugs in the home.

I know that many posters here know how I feel about eating disorders. I know that I can get militant. But while we look at celebrities and athletes who appear to be far too thin and comment, not enough is done to help them. We praise uber thin actresses, models, skaters, dancers, even while thinking they might be sick. We comment on celebrities gaining weight, we even have "E" programming showing the "worst bodies". This is not just a sickness in an individual, it is a social sickness. As much as eating disorders are not as far in the closet as they used to be, it is still a hidden illness. The victims deny EDs because they don't want to gain weight. It is an illness that is so difficult to get into treatment. It is painful on so many levels. What a tragedy if, in fact, we have lost another shining star to an illness that can be treated, not cured, but treated. I certainly do not want to state that Brittany died from an ED, I have no way of knowing. But my heart aches for anyone who goes through the pain of living with an ED. Even if the person survives, the physical/emotional/psychological toll is significant.

vCash
    Heart attack symptoms in women are far different than in men, thus the reason that heart disease is ignored by women.

This is sad, but I believe we will hear that it may have something to do with abuse of "drugs" and anorexia. If you had seen the pic of her at the beginning of Dec, it was quite obvious that there was something there.

I am reminded of Karen Carpenter who waged a lifelong battle with weight and eating disorders and finally succumbed to the abuse she gave her body and died of a massive heart attack, drugs were involved too.

I fear this is what we will hear and its really sad!

vCash
    Something that should be considered with "drugs" and EDs. BTW, this is ED info, not an accusation or claim that Brittany did this.

One of the "drugs" that anorexics and bulimics often take are laxatives. Laxatives, alone, if taken to the pint of abuse can cause serious electrolyte imbalances.

It is not unusual for persons with EDs to segue to more serious drugs, especially cocaine. There is the belief that cocaine will help keep you thin, because it causes you to lose your appetite. The combination of electrolyte imbalance and the effects cocaine has on the heart can be lethal.

I truly do not believe that our society takes eating disorders as seriously as it should. There is a mentality, as with many psych disorders, that they should and can, just stop. They can't, it is an addiction, in addition to the body dismorphia, the general poor self image, possibly some form of abuse, etc. This is not simply the behavior of poor spoiled little girls, it is a true and serious illness.

On the run from cholla's vibrating cleavage
    vCash
    According to a reasonably well-connected Moscow gossip columnist Bozena Rynska, Murphy died after returning from a private party in a posh Moscow suburb hosted by a Russian ex-banker. Milla Jovovich was also among the guests, and yes, drugs were involved:
    http://becky-sharpe.livejournal.com/681632.html
    (in Russian)

podcast mistress
    Ready to interview Uncle Dickie at any time.
    vCash
    I thought Murphy died in LA.
    In my spare time, I like to interview figure skating legends.

On the run from cholla's vibrating cleavage
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by manleywoman View Post
    I thought Murphy died in LA.
    Yes, after returning from Moscow, if the gossip columnist is right.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    I found an article with various references to history of erratic behavior on movie sets and junkets, including behavior that resulting in the firing from her latest film. Several articles stated she was in and out of consciousness with her husband propelling her around the set.

She was only 32 so her chances of having natural heart disease (unless it was congenital) are very small. Women of child bearing age are generally protected by estrogen from heart disease but catch up with men after menopause. Yes, heart disease is underdiagnosed in women but this usually refers to post menopausal women.

Also, Perez Hilton is apparently on record having predicted Brittany to be the next to go "the way of Heath Ledger" about a month ago.

If any of this is true, I will be shocked if the tox report is clean.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Angelskates View Post
    I could hardly believe that the picture from 2006 was the same woman in the 2nd pic taken earlier this month!! She was beautiful and looked healthy in 2006. Such a sad lose - RIP Brittany.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    She was only 32 so her chances of having natural heart disease (unless it was congenital) are very small. Women of child bearing age are generally protected by estrogen from heart disease but catch up with men after menopause. Yes, heart disease is underdiagnosed in women but this usually refers to post menopausal women.
    Here's a thought, and not just with regard to this situation. When a young woman has a serious ED, anorexia, bulimia, laxative over use, they often stop menstruating. Can the estrogen imbalance caused by EDs lower the protection against heart disease?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cruisin View Post
    Here's a thought, and not just with regard to this situation. When a young woman has a serious ED, anorexia, bulimia, laxative over use, they often stop menstruating. Can the estrogen imbalance caused by EDs lower the protection against heart disease?
    I thought that the protection that estrogen offered had to do with cholesterol control and placque prevention -- and that serious ED caused problems with electrolyte levels -- and also with the body actually consuming the heart muscle tissue. Thus, cardiac arrests related to ED were usually not due to coronary artery blockages -- which is what estrogen protected against. I could be completely wrong about this, though.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatingfan5 View Post
    I thought that the protection that estrogen offered had to do with cholesterol control and placque prevention -- and that serious ED caused problems with electrolyte levels -- and also with the body actually consuming the heart muscle tissue. Thus, cardiac arrests related to ED were usually not due to coronary artery blockages -- which is what estrogen protected against. I could be completely wrong about this, though.
    You are correct in what you understand. However, I was reacting to IceAlisa's post, and wondering if the estrogen protection is missing, due to an ED, could that cause premature cholesterol and plaque problems, or other estrogen related heart disease. Something else to consider, is that diabetics typically will develop coronary artery disease more easily than someone without diabetes.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Anorexics are not known to develop coronary heart disease more than the general population if that's what you are asking. They can die from an electrolyte imbalance caused by say, binging, purging and laxatives, which in turn causes a fatal arrhythmia. But nothing would have to be inherently wrong with the heart itself.

If someone has all the conditions you mentioned, they don't need heart disease to kill them. There's plenty in the equation already.

Brittany may have had an eating disorder but also from what I've been reading, there were likely other factors as well.
    Something else to consider, is that diabetics typically will develop coronary artery disease more easily than someone without diabetes.
    Unlikely at her age. I am a big fan of Occam's razor. You have to think what is medically probable.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast