Page 6 of 51 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 120 of 1001
  1. #101
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    Age
    30
    Posts
    10,875
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by vesperholly View Post
    My skin got better when I stopped all the crazy stuff and went to Cetaphil soap and Eucerin and CeraVe moisturizer. I have dry, acne-prone skin. I respond best to benzoyl peroxide, so I bought a generic 10% tube of it for topical application. The best acne prevention of all is to not forget my thyroid pills, because the thyroid regulates hormones.

    Oral antibiotics didn't do very much for me at all, because my acne is hormonal (cystic) and they did nothing to regulate the hormone level. She should definitely look into birth control for hormonally-caused acne. She might also want to look into thyroid tests. If her thyroid is underactive, it may be causing her acne.
    Yeah I've heard that ignoring all the crazy stuff and just going for gentle (preferably organic) cleansers and lotions help best. Benzoyl peroxide doesn't work for either of us. Salicylic acid works best for me, but I've noticed that if I simple leave a pimple alone, it usually goes away in 1 or 2 days. They stick around a lot longer for her.

    Dunno if her thyroid is underactive. She's the biggest person in our family, but that's not saying anything since as you all know, the rest of my family are underweight sticks. She's very average in terms of weight. It's probably nothing major, but I'll suggest it.

    She has noticed that her skin gets worse around her period, so it's at least partly hormonal, but pimples are still there at all times. IMO she might as well go on BC and see if that helps, she also suffers from pretty bad cramps so that might be a positive effect too.

    Quote Originally Posted by Veronika View Post
    I heard that Accutane was voluntarily pulled from the market by the manufacturer. Not a good sign. My derm wanted to put me on it, but I said no!
    Yikes. Yeah, definitely not a good sign!

    I remember she was telling me about it several months ago and I looked it up on Wikipedia, and said that anything that "alters DNA transcription" is a bad thing in my eyes. Then again we kill cells at work with stuff that prevents cell division on a genetic level so I may be biased.
    Last edited by Anita18; 12-29-2009 at 08:51 PM.

  2. #102
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Age
    33
    Posts
    7,453
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Anita18 View Post
    Dunno if her thyroid is underactive. She's the biggest person in our family, but that's not saying anything since as you all know, the rest of my family are underweight sticks. She's very average in terms of weight. It's probably nothing major, but I'll suggest it.
    You don't have to be overweight to have an underactive thyroid, it's just one of the many symptoms. My best friend was just diagnosed with an underactive thyroid not that long ago, and she's been an XS all her life.

    Thyroids regulate metabolism and sensitivity to hormones, so it also affects your periods - could explain the cramps. It's a simple blood test that will probably be covered by her insurance.

  3. #103

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Age
    31
    Posts
    2,640
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    61
    I went to my first Arbonne makeup party last night! I'd never been exposed to the Arbonne brand before and I like what I tried! It is very expensive, though. I bought a moisturizer for $39.50 and I think it only has 1.7 oz. in it. And I also bought a plumping lip gloss and a "regular" lip gloss. The plumping lip gloss was $28. I didn't realize it until I had my order totaled...I thought it was going to be $16 but my eyes must have gone cross-eyed looking at the catalog. And I saved 10% and got free shipping & handling just for agreeing to host a party of my own...ha. I normally don't agree to such things but now that I'll have my own house soon I can have one of those parties. It won't be until May though, and by then I probably won't be able to afford to buy anything.

    I loved playing with all the colors of makeup! And I tried the foundation and really liked it (even though I'm faithful to Bare Minerals foundation).

    Does anyone else here use Arbonne fairly regularly?

  4. #104

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Back to skating!
    Age
    36
    Posts
    17,412
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    2755
    I am on my way to become a real glamour puss.

    I indulged myself yesterday and got gel nails for the first time in my life. Actually, it was the first time ever I got my nails done as I used to go rock climbing for a while and that destroyed nails for good anyway.

    I am totally in love with them, even though it is still strange for me to have such long nails. They are not really long for a normal person, I guess, but they are longer than I ever had them before and it still feels weird when typing or touching anything. I have to get used to it.

    But it looks so gorgeous! I looked at my fingers at least for an hour already! They are shimmering and have such a nice form and my fingers look slender and long now!

    And, I just did a 15 minute hair repair with the Crema conditioner (as suggested on the bottle) and my hair feels sooooo silky!!!
    What is funny is, that even the colour looks better! I need to recolour my hair in the foreseeable future but the roots don't look as bad as they usually do!
    so, double wheee. I am now ready for partying on New Year's Eve!

  5. #105

    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    In and around.
    Posts
    10,574
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    1755
    Gel nails! I'll get these anytime I have time off from work or a special occasion. SO many times I've done something with my hands that would normally have destroyed my nail, but not gels! Cheers to them.

    I do, sadly, have to get them removed soon. I want to paint my nails gold, but I won't want it for long (they're a lovely taupe right now), and want to go back to changing colour every few days. Plus, typing is a bitch.
    "How you treat the weak is
    Your true nature calling" -- Jane's Addiction

  6. #106
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    16,843
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Andora View Post
    Gel nails! I'll get these anytime I have time off from work or a special occasion. SO many times I've done something with my hands that would normally have destroyed my nail, but not gels! Cheers to them.

    I do, sadly, have to get them removed soon. I want to paint my nails gold, but I won't want it for long (they're a lovely taupe right now), and want to go back to changing colour every few days. Plus, typing is a bitch.
    You don't have to get them off. Have them grind the color off and just go over your nails with clear gel. Then you can polish with a new color every day if you want. The gels are not effected by polish or remover. And you don't have to keep them long, mine are only about 1/8th of an inch beyond my finger tips. Also the squarer shape hold up better.

  7. #107

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Back to skating!
    Age
    36
    Posts
    17,412
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    2755
    Yes, the lady who did my nails said that I could use any color I wanted. I only had to be careful to use nail polish remover without any acetone in it.
    Gold sounds lovely. Right in time for the Olympics?

  8. #108

    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    In and around.
    Posts
    10,574
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    1755
    Quote Originally Posted by cruisin View Post
    You don't have to get them off. Have them grind the color off and just go over your nails with clear gel. Then you can polish with a new color every day if you want. The gels are not effected by polish or remover. And you don't have to keep them long, mine are only about 1/8th of an inch beyond my finger tips. Also the squarer shape hold up better.
    See, I'm on a no-spending kick, and the $35 for filling it in isn't that bad, but it's unecessary at the moment. I really want a car, moreso than gel nails.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hedwig View Post
    Yes, the lady who did my nails said that I could use any color I wanted. I only had to be careful to use nail polish remover without any acetone in it.
    Gold sounds lovely. Right in time for the Olympics?
    Oh! Hadn't thought of that. I just liked the colour I got from Essie.
    "How you treat the weak is
    Your true nature calling" -- Jane's Addiction

  9. #109
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    16,843
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Andora View Post
    See, I'm on a no-spending kick, and the $35 for filling it in isn't that bad, but it's unecessary at the moment. I really want a car, moreso than gel nails.
    $35? I go to a nice salon and I pay less. You had mentioned that you went to a cheaper place, what do the $$ places charge?

    A car is absolutely more important than a manicure.
    Hope you can get one soon.

    Hewig, sounds like the Crema is working well for you. I'm so glad!

  10. #110
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    Age
    30
    Posts
    10,875
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Andora View Post
    Hypnose! Best mascara ever. I miss it and will be a-splurgin' soon enough.
    Add Lancome's Artliner to that list as well. I actually fell asleep on the couch last night while wearing it (as well as the Hypnose), and neither budged a millimeter. I didn't even use eyelid primer, and my face becomes a certifiable oil slick by nighttime! I think I've found my everyday natural look.

    Yeah, they're rather expensive, aren't they? But I figure, $30 for 3-months' supply of makeup is a teeny splurge compared to a lot of things out there. I can easily save that much with two trips to the grocery store if I'm careful with promotions and sales. And since I'll be using the mascara and eyeliner every day, it's important that they're good quality.

    I don't do nails though. I have a bad habit of picking at mine when I'm bored. I took up knitting so I could give my hands something to do while reading things online so that's gotten better, but years of playing piano have gotten me engrained to short nails, I just can't have them long. They also grow really fast (thanks Dad's genes) so I'd have to be maintaining them every 3 days.

    Quote Originally Posted by vesperholly View Post
    You don't have to be overweight to have an underactive thyroid, it's just one of the many symptoms. My best friend was just diagnosed with an underactive thyroid not that long ago, and she's been an XS all her life.

    Thyroids regulate metabolism and sensitivity to hormones, so it also affects your periods - could explain the cramps. It's a simple blood test that will probably be covered by her insurance.
    Hmm, maybe. The cramps and acne (and dry skin on her body) are the pretty much the only things though. She doesn't have a problem at all with energy levels.

  11. #111
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    16,843
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Anita18 View Post
    Add Lancome's Artliner to that list as well. I actually fell asleep on the couch last night while wearing it (as well as the Hypnose), and neither budged a millimeter. I didn't even use eyelid primer, and my face becomes a certifiable oil slick by nighttime! I think I've found my everyday natural look.

    Yeah, they're rather expensive, aren't they? But I figure, $30 for 3-months' supply of makeup is a teeny splurge compared to a lot of things out there. I can easily save that much with two trips to the grocery store if I'm careful with promotions and sales. And since I'll be using the mascara and eyeliner every day, it's important that they're good quality.
    I believe it's important to use the best possible products on and around the eyes. Skimp on lipstick, blush, etc. but around the eyes, you need to be sure it's safe.

  12. #112
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    Age
    30
    Posts
    10,875
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by cruisin View Post
    I believe it's important to use the best possible products on and around the eyes. Skimp on lipstick, blush, etc. but around the eyes, you need to be sure it's safe.
    Another great point. Blush and lipstick can be easily reapplied, but for eye makeup, you have to have a clean place to work. Not always feasible in public restrooms, which is why the stuff has to last.

    A coworker got cheap Lasik and regrets it, since there were some days he needed to apply eyedrops like, every 10 minutes. His eyesight wasn't even nearly as bad as mine. I was like, "Why in the world would you get discounted Lasik?!" They're my EYES, I'm going to make sure I'm going to the best surgeon money can buy! Which can be pricey but again...my eyes.

  13. #113
    Port de bras!!!
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Ravenclaw
    Posts
    29,546
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    20235
    Stopped by the Bare Escentuals store and got: blush in Giddy Pink, blush brush (I don't have a good one) and lip gloss in Bianca. Love the blush and the brush, very natural and subtle color.

    My friend got the whole big foundation kit. It just seems like too many steps which I don't have the time in the morning to do.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

    from Speedy Death

  14. #114
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Age
    28
    Posts
    2,827
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Speaking of eyes, does anyone have any tips for applying eyeliner? I really like the look of it, but I can never get it to look right because I can't get in close enough. Is there a trick to it that I just don't know?

  15. #115

    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Celebrating Jeremy Abbott's FS at 2014 Worlds...
    Posts
    21,099
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    12653
    Quote Originally Posted by KikiSashaFan View Post
    Speaking of eyes, does anyone have any tips for applying eyeliner? I really like the look of it, but I can never get it to look right because I can't get in close enough. Is there a trick to it that I just don't know?
    Is your liner a pencil, or is it liquid?
    Gun Control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to buy cars.

  16. #116
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    16,843
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by KikiSashaFan View Post
    Speaking of eyes, does anyone have any tips for applying eyeliner? I really like the look of it, but I can never get it to look right because I can't get in close enough. Is there a trick to it that I just don't know?
    Lancome Art Liner is fabulous. it's like a skinny marker for the eyes.

  17. #117
    Two Pot Screamer
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Keeper of Prancer's Stupidity
    Age
    50
    Posts
    13,099
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    7795
    Quote Originally Posted by KikiSashaFan View Post
    Speaking of eyes, does anyone have any tips for applying eyeliner? I really like the look of it, but I can never get it to look right because I can't get in close enough. Is there a trick to it that I just don't know?
    If you just like a smokey smudge-like look, just apply a dark brown eye shadow with an angle brush. They get nice and close to the lash.

    If you're wanting help with a liquid liner, I'm of no use to you.
    Voidy Swan, Dirty Carmen, Perverted Moonlight Sonata. God I love figure skating!

  18. #118
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Age
    28
    Posts
    2,827
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I'm definitely not talented enough for liquid liner I'll try the eyeshadow thing though, and I'll look at the Lancome one. The one I have is like a marker too, but the tip on it is kinda chunky, so maybe a narrower one would make the difference

  19. #119

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Back to skating!
    Age
    36
    Posts
    17,412
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    2755
    I found this site: http://www.videojug.com/tag/beauty-and-style

    Some really good videos on there. I finally learned how to apply nail varnish!!

  20. #120
    Port de bras!!!
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Ravenclaw
    Posts
    29,546
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    20235
    I don't use liquid liner, just dark shadow and a wet flat slanted brush. Much less hassle.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

    from Speedy Death

Page 6 of 51 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •