Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TanithandBenFan View Post
    Obviously, handicapped seating should always be reserved for those in need. I didn't think that needed to be stated.
    You'd think so, but it isn't how it works always. People are nuts (see the previous post).

We have bought handicapped seats a number of times. My husband at his best is on a cane, at his worst in a motorized wheel chair. At any time we leave the seats vacant, the general public sits in the seats because they are convenient to the aisle and the mezzanine, if you don't have an aggressive usher keeping them out. This is during the actual event.

To give the public their due, the seats are sometimes not explicitly labelled as handicapped. Maybe they think those fold up chairs are for the ushers? When Mr. Ski is in a motorized wheelchair, his seat at least is secure. It's mine that has some snotnose sitting in it when I come back from the concession stand with a tray. Evicting them is never pleasant. When it's an entire group that has moved in, like Michael Weiss's family, whom I've seen do this twice (Nationals in Nashville, TN most egregiously). The handicapped people and/or their husbands or wives generally just try to survive until Michael had finished skating, and the family moved on again.

In an open practice, the only defense of such seats is that they are not right next to the ice, and are not the preferred seats if you don't have to use them. However, people take them as casual seating on the way to the concessions quite frequently. It's one reason we don't go to open practices deliberately. However we do arrive early for the event, which may be preceded by an open practice, because there are apt to be difficulties setting up-and sometimes there are people in our seats. Sometimes, as described above, it gets nasty.

vCash
    Those of you who sit in the handicapped seats... or cop an attitude when asked to move.....

I firmly believe in KARMA! Your boorish behavior will result in you someday NEEDING that seat and it not being avaliable. Then you will understand what a true jerk you are

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Carolla5501 View Post
    Those of you who sit in the handicapped seats... or cop an attitude when asked to move.....

I firmly believe in KARMA! Your boorish behavior will result in you someday NEEDING that seat and it not being avaliable. Then you will understand what a true jerk you are
    I agree with you. Those who sit in handicapped seats during events is the equivalent of those motorists who park in handicapped spots in parking lots.

Just me
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by peibeck View Post
    I was going to drive because I hate, hate, hate flying... but I checked on-line and got a round trip flight from St. Louis for $204. The last time I checked, flights were almost twice that price. (Nan, are you reading this?!?!? )
    Yes, I am! I was going to drive with a stopover in Nashville to overnight with my daughter and to have the convenience of a car while I was there, but now that there is a shuttle at the event, maybe I will fly. I'll have to see if the "add-on" charges (airport parking, airport shuttle and baggage fees) still make it a bargin for me. I live a bit further from STL than you do, you know.

When are you flying in?
    If this is to end in fire
    Then we will all burn together

vCash
    I just got a $98 (plus taxes) fare from Atlanta to Raleigh. The big kicker is the rental car cost. I can cancel until tomorrow and that may be the decision maker. (I can get a room at the Sheraton for not much more then the offical rate so.... if I fly to GSO and take shuttles would it actually be cheaper??? Would I regret not having a car in that town which is not pedestrian friendly??? decisions decisions)

Just me
    vCash
    Would I regret not having a car in that town which is not pedestrian friendly???
    That's my question, too.

vCash
    Yeah, it's close enough for me to drive, but the truth is I am "working" while in Greensboro and the hours on the road would be hard to cover. (I work from my home when not at my company's office in California. So I am just going to make Greensboro "home" that week. I probably won't do many practices, but....)

Left in the Kiss-n-Cry
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nan View Post
    When are you flying in?
    I am flying in on Wednesday. The baggage fee on my airline is $25. I am thinking of taking the metro-link to save on airport parking though.

Southwest actually had a slightly lower rate for airfare out of St. Louis, but a rental car would be necessary because they don't fly into Greensboro (it was $184 into Raleigh/Durham). Plus, all their connections were in northern locales. I managed to try and get my connections more southernly, in case of poor weather. (Another reason I hate flying, especially in winter!)

I will be renting a car when I get there as I'm not staying at one of the "official" hotels. I got a much better rate for a hotel months and months ago. Plus between either AAA or my Entertainment coupon book, I anticipate I should be able to save some money on a rental car. When I was planning on driving I would have needed a nightly pit-stop too, but since I don't have family that way, it would probably have been about $200 in additional hotels and another $200 in gas, so between the airfare and car rental it is still costing me about the same, but I am saving a lot more time (plus wear-and-tear on my car).
    I meant to take the high road.... but I missed the exit.

vCash
    Sorry if this has been discussed, but is weekend package sold out?
    I cannot find the link for the tickets.

vCash
    Did the math.. cheap hotel, rental car and flying into Raleigh comes up to about $200 cheaper then flying into GSO and staying at an "offical" hotel so.... Raleigh here I come (I have the Fairfield on an extended stay rate of around $69 a night)

vCash
    Yeah, it's close enough for me to drive, but the truth is I am "working" while in Greensboro and the hours on the road would be hard to cover. (I work from my home when not at my company's office in California. So I am just going to make Greensboro "home" that week. I probably won't do many practices, but....)
    I'll be doing the same thing, so when you are slaving away, know that you'll have company!

Just me
    vCash
    It's a two-and-a-half hour drive for me to St. Louis and a three hour drive to my daughter's house in Nashville, so I decided to look at flying out from Nashville. I got a flight for $176, get to leave my car at the kid's house, a ride to and from the airport in Nashville and some face time with the kid. AND I don't have to worry about driving cross-country in January, also less wear-and-tear on me and the car. The plane connects in Charlotte, so as long as there are no ice storms, I should be all right.

I will be renting a car when I get there as I'm not staying at one of the "official" hotels.
    Which means I can tap you if I want a ride somewhere (like the Grove Winery, maybe), right????? I'll buy dinner!

vCash
    Sorry if this has been discussed, but is weekend package sold out?
    I cannot find the link for the tickets.
    I found it.

Left in the Kiss-n-Cry
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nan View Post
    Which means I can tap you if I want a ride somewhere (like the Grove Winery, maybe), right????? I'll buy dinner!

I think I can be talked into that.
    I meant to take the high road.... but I missed the exit.

Just me
    vCash
    I think I can be talked into that.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789