Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Tranquillo
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Catherine M View Post
    I'm thinking about going to US Nationals; I haven't been to one since 06.

Does everyone normally stay in an official hotel or is it more economical to find one on their own????
    You can usually find a hotel on your own that's cheaper, especially if you have your own transportation or if you're in a city where there are lots of hotels within walking distance. But the official hotels are usually on the shuttle route, so if you'd like to take the shuttle bus, you may want an official hotel that is on the route. (although check, because I think sometimes they have official hotels that aren't).
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

vCash

Schedule?

Any idea as to what the schedule will be? I need to start thinking about making an airline reservation. I contacted Greensboro and they said the schedule is set by the USFSA.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Catherine M View Post
    I'm thinking about going to US Nationals; I haven't been to one since 06.

Does everyone normally stay in an official hotel or is it more economical to find one on their own????
    Aside from the fact that the official hotel usually sells out right away, it is also ridiculously expensive most of the time! In Spokane, the official hotel was the Davenport which is really nice but really pricey. The Saint Paul Hotel was the official hotel in 2008, and it's another ritzy, high-end place.

I stayed at the Doubletree in Spokane this year, and there were a lot of skaters that stayed there, too. Like ryanbfan said, they had a huge posterboard with starting orders and results which was really nice.

Tranquillo
    vCash
    They usually have an official hotel for competitors and other ones for spectators, media etc. The competitors' hotel does tend to sell out quickly, and the specator ones often do as well. The spectator ones have a variety of price ranges, but typically you can find a better price on your own. The "spectator shuttle" will typically run to all the official hotels which may be convenient for people without cars - although some cities are better at running spectator shuttles than others. Spokane always had a ton of them after events, but some cities don't and the wait can sometimes be long.

Also, check the cancellation policies. Sometimes if you go through the official reservation system, there is a significant penalty if you cancel (or cancel too late). You may find more flexibility by booking on your own . I don't know the policy for Greensboro.
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

vCash
    The official (skaters) hotel is the Sheraton; it is already sold out, per the Nats website, but sometimes rooms open up a month or so ahead of time. There are other hotels listed on the Nats website, but it does not appear the shuttle stops at all of them.

I don't have the exact link, but someone posted this tenative schedule a while ago (I copied it recently and sent to a friend):

Saturday, January 22
    - Official Practice sessions all day
    Sunday, January 23
    - Novice Compulsory Dance
    - Novice Pairs Short Program
    - Novice Ladies Short Program
    - Novice Men’s Short Program
    - Junior Ladies Short Program
    Monday, January 24
    - Novice Pairs Free Skate (Finals)
    - Novice Free Dance (Finals)
    - Novice Men’s Free Skate (Finals)
    - Novice Ladies Free Skate (Finals)
    - Junior Compulsory Dance
    Tuesday, January 25
    - Junior Original Dance
    - Junior Ladies Free Skate (Finals)
    Wednesday, January 26
    - Junior Men’s Short Program
    - Senior Compulsory Dance
    - Senior Pairs Short Program
    Thursday, January 27
    - Junior Free Dance (Finals)
    - Junior Pairs Short Program
    - Senior Original Dance
    - Senior Ladies Short Program
    Friday, January 28
    - Junior Pairs Free Skate (Finals)
    - Junior Men’s Free Skate (Finals)
    - Senior Men’s Short Program
    Saturday, January 29
    - Senior Pairs Free Skate (Finals)
    - Senior Free Dance (Finals)
    - Senior Ladies Free Skate (Finals)
    Sunday, January 30
    - Senior Men’s Free Skate (Finals)
    - U.S. Championships Skating Spectacular

vCash
    Thanks everyone for their thoughts on the hotel!

I think if I do end up going--still deciding between Greensboro and Victoria--I would book on my own.

vCash
    I'm going to be staying at the airport Marriott. I asked if the shuttle will come there and they assured me it would.

vCash

Schedule

The tentative schedule above is similar to Cleveland and St. Paul with the mens final and gala exhibition on Sunday. I'm starting to think about airline reservations, so I called the number on the event website and inquired whether the final competition would be on Saturday evening or Sunday. The person I spoke to asked someone and said that it might be on Saturday with only the gala on Sunday! It seems nothing is definite yet.

I've always been in a rush to get home and back to work so I've never stayed for the gala and am now in a quandry about my airline reservations. Do I fly out Sunday or Monday? I recall someone mentioned there is a hockey (I think its hockey) tournament in Raleigh that weekend so I'd like to book my airfare now.

Anyone have any more recent info about when the final competition and gala will be?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maureenfarone View Post
    The person I spoke to asked someone and said that it might be on Saturday with only the gala on Sunday! It seems nothing is definite yet.
    Now that there's no more compulsory event for the junior and senior dance teams, this could open up the schedule and allow them to finish all the events on Saturday night.

vCash
    Thanks Tammi, I never thought about the impact eliminating the CDs would have on the schedule.

I think its really sad to eliminate the CDs. I only started watching the dance competitions in the last 4 years, and I really enjoyed the CDs. Guess I'll have to wait and see how I like this new "dance" combination thing Speedy came up with.

vCash
    i have a feeling that the fairmont in san jose will be the official 2012 US Nationals hotels.

The wiener takes it all
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lexeoe View Post
    i have a feeling that the fairmont in san jose will be the official 2012 US Nationals hotels.
    FYI: The most recent 2012 San Jose Nationals thread can be found here.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tammi View Post
    Now that there's no more compulsory event for the junior and senior dance teams, this could open up the schedule and allow them to finish all the events on Saturday night.
    I just e-mailed the LOC about this. I'm getting close to booking my flight, so obviously it would be good to know if I can go home Sunday instead of Monday.

It would be great to have the comp finish Saturday (having a final on Sunday seems anti-climactic) but I imagine that given the TV contract, it might not be possible. They'd have to move a final to Friday, and I doubt NBC would want to preempt its Friday night programming (whatever shows they are).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Debbie S View Post
    It would be great to have the comp finish Saturday (having a final on Sunday seems anti-climactic) but I imagine that given the TV contract, it might not be possible. They'd have to move a final to Friday, and I doubt NBC would want to preempt its Friday night programming (whatever shows they are).
    I would think that a Friday night pre-empting would be a better option, especially since Nationals falls on one of the football playoff weekends. Unless they are trying to give all the football widows an option for Sunday.

vCash
    My bet is on the Sunday men's final. Keeps more fans in town and uses more hotel rooms.
    (And I still won't pay for the gala)

vCash

The wiener takes it all
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shan View Post
    That email also announced that they are doing another July ticket sale:
    Throughout the month of July, every new order of an All-Event Package that is mailed or faxed to the North Carolina 2011 Headquarters by midnight on July 31 will receive a free Skating Spectacular ticket* In addition, special 2011 U.S.Figure Skating Championship premium items will be provided for every new All-Event Package purchased
    Details here.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shan View Post
    A lot of hotels discussed in this thread are not really on the "bus route" And they aren't within an "easy" walk to the others. This is one "spread" out event IMHO.

I would make sure I have my hotel before I buy a bus pass even though they want the $30 ASAP.

(I just booked a Fairfield Inn I have stayed at before for $69 a night..... I think the savings over an "official" hotel will finace my rental car )
    Last edited by Carolla5501; 07-02-2010 at 02:26 AM.

vCash
    Yeah I can't imagine not having a car in Greensboro. It would be incredibly inconvenient...

vCash

Last comp?

Has anyone learned anything about whether the last competition will be Saturday night or Sunday afternoon?

Still looking for the best airfare deal, but sure would like to know more about the schedule. I'm inclined to think even though its possible to end Saturday night, they might choose to go with Sunday because of extra revenue for hotels, etc.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast