Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

vCash

Jennifer Robinson hopes to carve out political path

Robinson announced on Tuesday that she is running for the Ward 8 seat on the Barrie city council: http://www.thebarrieexaminer.com/Art...aspx?e=2746466
    "I thought it was a nice time in my life to get involved more and to get the community involved," she said, prior to hitting the ice at the Allandale Recreation Centre, where she is a figure skating instructor with the Mariposa School of Skating. "It's important to get more people talking to their neighbours and see what is affecting their lives."

Tranquillo
    vCash
    Good luck to her! She's such a sweet and caring person - I'd love to see more people with her personal qualities in politics.
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

vCash
    wow...good for Jenn. She is a diplomat for sure !

Mad for mangelwurzels
    vCash
    Is she standing as an Independent? The article doesn't really say anything about her political views.
    I hear outside a million panicking birds, and know even out there comfort is done with; it has shattered even the stars, this creature at last come home to me.

vCash
    I wonder if she willl wear her pearls...
    Nubka - Unpaid Slave Laborer...

Loving on babies!
    vCash
    Good for her. She's always seemed like a bright, even-headed person, and has a lot of positive qualities. I hope she can be a positive influence on her local politics.
    I am free of all prejudices. I hate everyone equally.~W. C. Fields

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orientalplane View Post
    Is she standing as an Independent? The article doesn't really say anything about her political views.
    Party politics don't filter on down to the municipal level. In Toronto, it's known that certain councillors are left or right leaning, but until Jack Layton ran for Leader of the NDP Party, he wasn't an official NDP Councillor.

Mad for mangelwurzels
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady View Post
    Party politics don't filter on down to the municipal level. In Toronto, it's known that certain councillors are left or right leaning, but until Jack Layton ran for Leader of the NDP Party, he wasn't an official NDP Councillor.
    I'm closely involved in local politics myself. Here in the UK, many candidates who stand for parishes don't align themselves with any party, though some certainly do. However, at city or district level, almost all candidates stand for a political party, though a few are independents.

So I can't speak for Canada, but where I live, the first part of your statement isn't true.

Anyway, all I really want to know is whether Jennifer is left or right-leaning.
    Last edited by orientalplane; 09-10-2010 at 06:50 PM.
    I hear outside a million panicking birds, and know even out there comfort is done with; it has shattered even the stars, this creature at last come home to me.

vCash
    I'm closely involved in local politics myself. Here in the UK, many candidates who stand for parishes don't align themselves with any party, though some certainly do. However, at city or district level, almost all candidates stand for a political party, though a few are independents.

So I can't speak for Canada, but where I live, the first part of your statement isn't true.

Anyway, all I really want to know is whether Jennifer is left or right-leaning.
    Municipal politics have NO PARTY. They aren't right nor left just as DL said. They are elected as representatives of thier consituency. It's Canada my friend...the land of the impartial and peace keeping nation. It's not comparible to any other country...well maybe Sweden. IMPARTIAL see?

Skating supporter
    Born in Nova Scotia but living in Ottawa, Ontario (Canada's Capital)
    vCash
    As others have said, in municipal politics in Canada people do not run as a representative of any political party. In some cases, a candidate's party affiliations are well known because of things they have done previously but, at least during the election, they are not pertinent.

Sadly, voter apathy is a problem at all levels. Some new numbers have come out that indicate the very low number of actual voters that have determined past municipal elections. Since the municipal politicians spend my property tax dollars, that concerns me!
    Can't skate but love to watch

vCash
    and knowing Jennifer personally my bet would be that she doesn't have alot of preconceived ideas. She's a smart and educated girl. She will listen and learn.

Victorskid...that's my concern as well.

Mad for mangelwurzels
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by withrespect View Post
    Municipal politics have NO PARTY. They aren't right nor left just as DL said. They are elected as representatives of thier consituency. It's Canada my friend...the land of the impartial and peace keeping nation. It's not comparible to any other country...well maybe Sweden. IMPARTIAL see?
    Why are you making such a scene? I was just pointing out what a comparable situation would be in the UK. Local politics in Canada is obviously quite different.

Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    vCash
    Why are you making such a scene? I was just pointing out what a comparable situation would be in the UK. Local politics in Canada is obviously quite different.
    Maybe because you told us that while you didn't know how things stood in Canadian politics, It didn't stop you from telling us we were wrong when it came to the UK. Good for you. Doesn't matter w/this discussion though.

Good luck to Jen w/her campaign. I think she'd make a great addition to the Barrie City Council. She really listens to what people are telling her and that's a really important quality to have regardless of what you're going to do in life. It's especially important to have if you want to be a success in politics though.

Really wish Jen the best of luck!!

En el trabajo en mi obra maestra, "Bodegón de rosas, las toronjas y el Planetario", que se llevará algún tiempo.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AragornElessar View Post
    Maybe because you told us that while you didn't know how things stood in Canadian politics, It didn't stop you from telling us we were wrong when it came to the UK. Good for you. Doesn't matter w/this discussion though.
    I didn't read orientalplane's post that way at all.

vCash
    Good for her! Municipal politics can be really rewarding because it has an immediate impact on people's day to day lives. Which is why it's a shame that there's such apathy, because it's one way to make a difference really quickly. It totally gets up my nose when people complain about garbage collection, lack of recreation programming, high taxes, etc., and they couldn't get off their *sses to vote in the last municipal election where their votes could have had some effects on those very same things.

Judging by the comments on the linked article, though, Jennifer might be up against some resistance because she doesn't live in the ward full time.
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by falling_dance View Post
    I didn't read orientalplane's post that way at all.
    I also didn't read it that way also.

Quote Originally Posted by withrespect View Post
    She's a smart and educated girl.
    I'm just wondering... what kind of an education does Jennifer have?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by venja View Post
    I also didn't read it that way also.

I'm just wondering... what kind of an education does Jennifer have?
    I think she has a journalism or communications degree?

INTJ
    vCash
    Good for Jenn. She's always seemed like she has a good head on her shoulders.
    "Beautiful things don't ask for attention." -The Secret Life of Walter Mitty

vCash
    As a legislative aide and campaign manager in the United States (Michigan), I find it interesting that in Canada you don't state party affiliations in running for local office. Here, the parties have primaries for nearly all offices, including local trustees, commissioners, and such. One can also run as an independent, but few ever get enough votes to make it into office since it is difficult to compete with the organized political parties. They have structure, financing, training, etc. At a local level that can be countered by running a strong door to door campaign in a small geographic area.

Jennifer will start with a large advantage I would think - POSITIVE NAME RECOGNITION. That's half the battle with first-time candidates. Most people don't have much time or thought about politics, and seeing someone they easily identify at the ballot box is a big bonus.

Good luck to her! Hopefully she is doing her homework studying the local issues and going door to door to meet voters.

vCash
    We don't have time for primaries - the writ period is too short - not sure for municipal, but it's 36 days from start to finish federally, and it used to be 27 provincially, but I think they made it 36 now. So you can't campaign or advertise before the writ is dropped, and then there's a blackout period in the middle so everybody involved can regroup, and those not involved can take a break from the onslaught.

One nifty thing though - those metal stands for political signs on your lawn are very good for holding up various plants in the garden.
    If you reread your work, you can find on rereading a great deal of repetition can be avoided by rereading and editing.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast