Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

vCash
    Sorry, fans but that was one boring hour - not in any way worth the wait. Have fun watching, but I will most definitely not be tuning in again.

Go Team SW Florida! =)
    At Great American Ballpark cheering on my Cincinnati Reds
    vCash
    IIRC, it's airing a four episode block now and the remaining nine episodes after the Olympics. I don't really like that it's broken up that way but hopefully it works out for ABC. The show has a ton of potential and deserves a chance to find its audience. I've talked to a few friends on other boards and they all liked it tonight too.

emason-Sorry you didn't like it. I'm not sure how you thought it was boring but to each his own. I'm glad you gave it a shot tonight.
    An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

"I guess I'm just...I'm not used to someone putting me first." -Emma, Once Upon a Time, episode 2x3, Lady of the Lake

Tranquillo
    vCash
    This article describes some of the production issues that resulted in the first arc being shortened from 6 to 4 episodes which compacted the story a bit.
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

vCash
    I was busy and only had half an eye on it. Very interesting premise, but I thought the execution could have been a little bit better. But it's early yet. I was pretty intrigued by the guy -- what was his name? -- who was going to propose to his girlfriend and turned out to be one of the aliens.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

vCash
    I found the pacing and editing forced. I'm hoping that it will improve once they stop trying to force several hours of the original series into 1 hour.

vCash
    I wish they hadn't tried to cram so much into one hour. Just because there was an original in the 1980's doesn't mean they had to reveal the reptilian nature of the Visitors so soon. It was like they want to get it all laid out in one fell swoop so that they could get right to the resistance part.

Still I thought it looked really good and will tune in for more. My LOST devotion demands equal devotion to Elizabeth Mitchell - I'll watch her in anything!

vCash
    I thought it was fun, but I'll probably watch SYTYCD next week live and watch this online. I was thinking that they were revealing too much stuff too quickly (FBI partner is actually an alien? Fiance-wannabe an alien-traitor-turned-resistor?), but reading this thread now has me realizing that they want to pay homage to the original series and then go on to something new...okidokie.

I did like the character of the doubting priest I think he's my fave so far.

vCash
    I was a huge fan of the original show (somewhere, I still have the original script), and was very disappointed with the episode. What I thought was the most interesting aspect of the original series was not the resistance part, but the build up to it. I was fascinated to see the human characters react to the Visitors -- some were instant Visitor fans; others were skeptical and remained so; others were skeptical, but gradually became converts; and still others never lost their skepticism, but took roles with the Visitors to feed their own ambition. That just seemed mostly to get glossed over. Meanwhile, while that process was happening, the hints were being dropped about the Visitors' motives and true natures. That built suspense. For the most part, with the exception of the reporter, the humans are falling pretty squarely into the pro- and anti-Visitor camp. Without similar evolution, which introduced a lot of families and back-stories, the characters in this show seemed paper thin (which is shocking when you think of how bad Marc Singer and Faye Grant were as actors). There also are so many fewer characters to focus on. You basically have the FBI agent, her son, priest, TV reporter, visitor spy, and his girlfriend. The original show had multiple families, the network of scientists, and some random workers. I understand that budgets limit cast size, I hate that this show just mostly jumped to the "let's resist" part.

vCash
    Aw, reckless, sounds like the original show was awesome I guess I'll have to add it to my Netflix list...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Orable View Post
    Aw, reckless, sounds like the original show was awesome I guess I'll have to add it to my Netflix list...
    I think the original show was very good for its time, but it is pretty dated now (it screams 80s), and there is a lot of weak acting. However, the story was what really propelled it, even if the Nazi allegory, at times, was about as subtle as a two-by-four across the brow.

vCash
    Hopefully they rushed the first episode because they are going in a new direction with the new series. I kinda liked the personal dynamic between the FBI agent and the priest. After all he was in plain clothes and never identified himself as a priest. Plus it sounds like he is also having a crisis of faith.

vCash
    I liked it! I don't think it was too much too soon at all. The only disappointment for me was Bailey. But hopefully he'll grow into the role.

Oh, and for all you Father Jack fans, I got there first! I've been a fan since The 4400.
    Creating drama!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bostonfan View Post
    Th SyFy station (I hate that they changed the spelling - too cutsey) is replaying the original V miniseries this weekend. I'm taping it for nostalgic purposes before I strap in for this new version!
    Yeah, the new "SyFy" spelling is annoying. My husband told me why they changed it. The term SciFi is considered a common usage term and thus cannot be trademarked. However, changing the spelling to the unique and uncommon SyFy allows NBC (the parent company) to now trademark and register their content, especially their original programming that airs exclusively on SyFy (like Eureka and Tin Man). Yes, it's blatant profiteering but it allows them to keep more money "in house" and thus invest in more programming in the future...

As for the new version of V, I was impressed by the pilot episode. I was afraid it would be a bad restructure of the original series, but they did a really good job of tightening the narrative and character types. I really liked Elizabeth Mitchell's character (but then I've always liked Mitchell in just about anything). I'm almost glad that her role in "LOST" may be in jeopardy depending on V's success.

Morena Baccarin does a good job playing the cool as a cucumber Anna. But it kinda makes me miss Jane Badler's sinuously sexy Diana. And I'm also amused at how Joel Gretsch, who plays the younger priest, bears a rather markable resemblance to Marc Singer in his younger years (but Gretsch is a better actor!). And the other support actors and characters were also quite good. But for once, I'd just like to see a series where Alan Tudyk doesn't get like severely killed!

I also liked how we come into the story with the backdrop having already started (the "sleeper cells") and with the questioning of the Visitors' motives becoming quickly addressed. The tighter story structure helped me feel like there wasn't going to be too much exposition to re-tell the story from the original mini-series. I really was pleasantly surprised by this updated version of V...

vCash
    Really enjoyed it! I felt it got a bit silly at times (I can't see a bunch of New Yorkers giving a standing ovation after a speech made by aliens--maybe if the ship was in Toronto...), but by the end of it I was hooked. Can't wait for more episode. I don't mind the break--I wish all the other shows were on hiatus during the Olympics.

I have never seen the original V in my life (I was too young and it seemed too scary) but did they cover how people in the other major cities coped? It seemed the show could broaden its scope beyond New York, as we're seeing with Flashforward.

BTW, a V/Flashforward/Lost triple header all on one night would probably make my brain melt.
    Last edited by manhn; 11-04-2009 at 07:03 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyliefan View Post
    I was busy and only had half an eye on it. Very interesting premise, but I thought the execution could have been a little bit better. But it's early yet. I was pretty intrigued by the guy -- what was his name? -- who was going to propose to his girlfriend and turned out to be one of the aliens.
    IMO that was a great change from the original mini-series; that Bryan (I think that was his name) was already on earth when the ships arrived. At the beginning of the program the viewers are led to believe that he is human. The revelation that some of the visitors were already on earth was .

manhn, the original V focused on the main characters located in L.A. IIRC, you never really saw how other countries dealt with the visitors. I've been trying to follow the original on SyFy but have missed parts of it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by reckless View Post
    I was fascinated to see the human characters react to the Visitors -- some were instant Visitor fans; others were skeptical and remained so; others were skeptical, but gradually became converts; and still others never lost their skepticism, but took roles with the Visitors to feed their own ambition. That just seemed mostly to get glossed over.
    Well, there is the reporter who's struggling with having to compromise his principles over the whole "You will not portray us in a negative light" thing. I'm interested to see where that goes.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

vCash
    I enjoyed it, but I've never seen the original series, so I was a little disappointed to find out the aliens are evil. I was hoping for a sci fi show where the alien interaction was positive for once. SIGH. Maybe next time...

Is it just me or is Scott Wolf a dead ringer for Michael J Fox?

Tranquillo
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffisjeff View Post
    Oh, and for all you Father Jack fans, I got there first! I've been a fan since The 4400.
    Sorry, I had him at Taken, even though he was pure eville in that miniseries.
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

vCash
    I really hope the Aliens aren't just bad. I like multiple sides to my characters. I hope there is redeemable elements to them and they aren't just 100% evil.

vCash
    I hope so too. But I do remember from the original that they were a lot of aliens who did not agree with what their mission on earth.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast