Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    vCash
    LOL Anita my mom says that too.

She also swears that eating persimmons and sweet potatoes on the same day will kill you. Since I've seen a gazillion recipes for them together I'm pretty sure this isn't true and offered to test it, but she wouldn't let me...

vCash
    Crunchy rice is nasty. Give me the bacteria.

Every year, the local newspaper lists all the restaurants that have been shut down for some infraction. 95 percent of those restaurants are Asian. I am suspicious of asian restaurants that have never received a citation.

Title-less
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Anita18 View Post
    I'm not sure if this is a Chinese thing, but so far I've lived with two people from mainland China who are absolutely positively convinced that if you put warm food in the fridge, it will break the fridge. So they let things sit out for hours and hours until it cools down to room temp before putting it into the fridge.

I think that's a no-no in terms of bacterial growth....
    hahaha, I heard that one too.

ETA: Speaking of fridges, when I was a kid my homeEc teacher told me many things are fine unrefrigerated. But by the time I became an adult everyone around me told me they needed to refrigerate everything (including their jewellery) or they will go bad... (I always suspect it's the fridge marketers who trick us into buying bigger fridges.)
    Last edited by jlai; 12-16-2009 at 12:41 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by manhn View Post
    Amen! The people who work at my local Asian restaurants all eat the food on their breaks. They look fine. I've practically lived on Asian take-out for years -- no problems. There are times to be super careful about food preparation, and there's times to chillax.

Every year, the local newspaper lists all the restaurants that have been shut down for some infraction. 95 percent of those restaurants are Asian. I am suspicious of asian restaurants that have never received a citation.
    LOL! Like either the food is awful or they're bribing the inspectors?

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    Me too. Bacteria is everywhere already, especially in food.

vCash
    Now this is what I call "thread drift"!!

Lurrrrve Laura Lepistö
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bogie View Post
    Now this is what I call "thread drift"!!
    Peking duck from a doctor's drug charges.. I'll never know

but it's just so interesting to know all about it!

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    There's an article about Galea in today's Washington Post that states

PRP is allowed by the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) under certain conditions, though an athlete needs to obtain a "therapeutic use exemption" before utilizing it. Galea requested one on Chan's behalf last October, and got it. Chan, who had an injured calf, finished fifth in the men's singles event at the Vancouver Winter Games.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...T2010060504128
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    I'm not sure if this is a Chinese thing, but so far I've lived with two people from mainland China who are absolutely positively convinced that if you put warm food in the fridge, it will break the fridge. So they let things sit out for hours and hours until it cools down to room temp before putting it into the fridge.

My mom has always told me the same thing and we are not Chinese. I don't think it's a regional thing so much as a lack of common sense thing.

Title-less
    vCash
    I don't think this is completely fiction. I suspect there was rhyme and reason to this when people first had fridges and as time went on things changed.

Do not put large amounts of warm food in the refrigerator as this will raise the temperature; cool the food for a short time at room temperature (remember that any cooked leftovers should be put into the refrigerator within two hours after being served).
    http://www.eufic.org/article/en/arti...-refrigerator/

vCash
    When this thread popped up again on my User CP I couldn't figure out why on earth I was subscribed to it, since I didn't remember this topic at all. Then I read through it

vCash

Hmm, interesting, I've heard the opposite on some cooking and bacteria/illness prevention sites saying if you put warm food in the fridge, it actually warms up the food around it in the fridge temporarily which may cause bacterial growth :S

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12