Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Exclamation Sports Doctor to the Stars faces Drug Charges

vCash
    *waiting for the spin doctors and konspiracy theorists to emerge*
    Haunting the Princess of Pink since 20/07/11...

vCash
    Earlier this month, figure skater Patrick Chan, a world silver-medal winner and one of Canada's top hopes for an Olympic gold at Vancouver in 2010, went to Dr. Galea for treatment of a tear in his left calf muscle. It was the day before the office was raided. There is no evidence to connect the raid with any of the client treatments.
    Hmmm...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by igniculus View Post
    Hmmm...
    No indication at all that the doctor was using banned (by the IOC) drugs on anyone. The plasma concentration and injection into damaged muscles and tendons is a new technique that is showing some significant results in terms of faster and more complete healing in some hard-to-heal areas. This isn't anything like blood doping.

The good doc may or may not have violated Canadian laws in terms of obtaining and using homeopathic medications not sold in Canada, but at the moment it strikes me as being about as significant as when the LA County Department of Public Health raided all of the chinese restaurants who were preparing Peking Duck the traditional way.

Hey, Kool-Aid!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by barbk View Post
    No indication at all that the doctor was using banned (by the IOC) drugs on anyone. The plasma concentration and injection into damaged muscles and tendons is a new technique that is showing some significant results in terms of faster and more complete healing in some hard-to-heal areas. This isn't anything like blood doping.

The good doc may or may not have violated Canadian laws in terms of obtaining and using homeopathic medications not sold in Canada, but at the moment it strikes me as being about as significant as when the LA County Department of Public Health raided all of the chinese restaurants who were preparing Peking Duck the traditional way.
    What were they doing?
    Tessa and Scott: Thank you

vCash
    Yup. I've had it (in the US, from a well-respective physician). It's not illegal or even frowned upon, really; it's just a new form of treatment.

vCash
    And they went through the proper channels to get the treatment approved before it was done to Patrick, so all is good there.

vCash
    ... when the LA County Department of Public Health raided all of the chinese restaurants who were preparing Peking Duck the traditional way.
    The whole department probably just got a craving for it all at once.

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    I want some of that for my left calf muscle tear!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by marbri View Post
    What were they doing?
    They were doing nothing but roast Peking ducks in a traditional Chinese stove, which is considered by the West to be below the so-called "Health Standards". Actually, they know nothing about the Chinese cuisine and Chinese culture. Without the traditional Chinese stove, the Peking ducks would taste completely different.

I do agree that the whole Department would be very likely slavering at the first sight of the dripping ducks in the Chinese restaurants.

vCash
    Front page story in the New York Times today: Sports Medicine Pioneer Subject of Doping Inquiry

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by angietang View Post
    They were doing nothing but roast Peking ducks in a traditional Chinese stove, which is considered by the West to be below the so-called "Health Standards". Actually, they know nothing about the Chinese cuisine and Chinese culture. Without the traditional Chinese stove, the Peking ducks would taste completely different.

I do agree that the whole Department would be very likely slavering at the first sight of the dripping ducks in the Chinese restaurants.
    I worked at a Chinese place in a mall long ago and it was constantly written up by the health department for keeping the temperature on the warming pan that contained the fried rice too low. If we turned it up as high as they wanted it, the rice would get all nasty and crunchy. The inspector did not care and would rant that the rules are never flexible. So I always take it with a grain of salt when I see that an Asian restaurant has been written up for not keeping food at proper temps. It's probably because they don't want to serve crunchy rice!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Really View Post
    *waiting for the spin doctors and konspiracy theorists to emerge*
    Hmmmmmmmmm, was he responsible for Kwan not getting gold?

I think he WAS....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PDilemma View Post
    So I always take it with a grain of salt when I see that an Asian restaurant has been written up for not keeping food at proper temps. It's probably because they don't want to serve crunchy rice!
    Would you rather have hot, crunchy rice that's relatively germ free or something that's luke warm and taste great but is teaming with bacteria? I'll take my bowl of crunchy rice, please .

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    Would you rather have hot, crunchy rice that's relatively germ free or something that's luke warm and taste great but is teaming with bacteria? I'll take my bowl of crunchy rice, please .
    You build up an immunity to it.

But yeah, you gotta work up to it first!

Tranquillo
    vCash
    Had to chuckle. I just went to the Yahoo News site, and they had this pic labelled "Tiger Woods"
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Garden Kitty View Post
    Had to chuckle. I just went to the Yahoo News site, and they had this pic labelled "Tiger Woods"
    They've fixed it already - but I saved the screen shot!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by barney View Post
    Yup. I've had it (in the US, from a well-respective physician). It's not illegal or even frowned upon, really; it's just a new form of treatment.

Yes, I've also had it suggested for my recalcitrant achilles tendon.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by angietang View Post

The problem with Peking duck is that the duck is hung in the air for a while -- I don't recall if it is before or after cooking -- but this is a major no-no for the health department. I'm with the group that thinks that if the Chinese have been making it that way for a thousand years then it clearly isn't doing much to depopulate China and thus we shouldn't worry about it. (Then again, I've never understood why they are so maniacal about some things being refrigerated, but it is perfectly okay to make a pumpkin pie with loads of eggs, cream and sugar and let it sit around at room temperature for days.)

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    The problem with Peking duck is that the duck is hung in the air for a while -- I don't recall if it is before or after cooking -- but this is a major no-no for the health department. I'm with the group that thinks that if the Chinese have been making it that way for a thousand years then it clearly isn't doing much to depopulate China and thus we shouldn't worry about it. (Then again, I've never understood why they are so maniacal about some things being refrigerated, but it is perfectly okay to make a pumpkin pie with loads of eggs, cream and sugar and let it sit around at room temperature for days.)
    I'm not sure if this is a Chinese thing, but so far I've lived with two people from mainland China who are absolutely positively convinced that if you put warm food in the fridge, it will break the fridge. So they let things sit out for hours and hours until it cools down to room temp before putting it into the fridge.

I think that's a no-no in terms of bacterial growth....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast