Page 49 of 51 FirstFirst ... 394748495051 LastLast
    From the Bloc
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mkats View Post
    I always stick a huge tupperware in the freezer and throw in all the bones, tendons, etc. from whatever chicken dishes I end up making across the month or so. No way in hell do I have the money to waste fresh chicken on stock. Another tupperware holds all the carrot and onion and beet peels from other dishes I made that month. (I wash all my root vegetables really well!) A third holds apple and pear cores with the seeds removed (it's just me, so I don't mind if there are teeth marks ) Come the end of the month, I soften all the peels with some garlic and herbs in some olive oil, throw in all the bones, add water to cover, and let it simmer for about an hour and a half to two hours. Once it starts to boil, I throw in the fruit cores for sweetness and don't bother with any extra sugar.

Once done, I pour it into smaller containers and immediately plunge into an ice bath to cool, then freeze for up to two months. It never lasts that long though before getting made into rice, soups, gravy, and the like!
    This is brilliant!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    Wouldn't a chicken stock be quite expensive to make, though? Since you need an entire chicken? The chicken pretty much goes to waste, right? I have always felt it was a waste and not worth the money to make my own stock but if I am wrong please enlighten me, I may try it.
    I use chicken backs - with kitchen shears cut up both sides of back bones save in freezer until you have enough. Also, buy a packet or two of chicken wings if on sale.

I roast my raw veggies in oven at 425 until a little more than golden brown, keep onion peel on onions and you will have a beautiful color stock instead of a pale colored stock.

Since you are concerned with salt do not salt until your stock is reduced to you liking then salt.

I think it is cheaper to make stock then buying stock, plus you have a much better product.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    In most cases, the issue with salt is not what we add ourselves during cooking or at the table - it's what's added to processed foods like chicken stock, canned soup and soup mixes. Even the ones that are "low sodium" or have "less salt" contain far more than most of us would add ourselves.

It's just a trick of food marketers and restaurants - when we take that first taste of something salty, we usually think "yum, this is good" and importantly "I want more." I've noticed that many chef recipes contain *way* more salt and garlic than I would ever use, and I love garlic - but that's another trick to make you go "mmm good."

I think if you make your own stock and leave out the packet seasonings, you can safely add as much salt as you like on your own. Start with a little (or half what the recipe calls for if using), and then you can add more if needed.

After awhile, my bet is that there will be many products you no longer want because they taste too salty. I'm the same way with sugar.

vCash
    I was wondering if anybody has a butternut squash bisque recipe. Thanks

From the Bloc
    vCash
    This is from Jamie Oliver's Jamie at Home - we've made it many times, and it's fabulous. No cream, but ends up quite creamy and rich.

http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/v...e-best-parmesa

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    Thanks, everyone. Next time we want to make something that requires boiling chicken then I will make sure to make a stock. Do you throw in whole vegetables (meaning peel and all?) or what? mkats, you mention saving your onion and carrot and beet peels, I use a lot of onion and carrot, should I start saving the peels? I just can't imagine any flavor coming out of the papery onion peel.
    Not the papery stuff, although I have thrown that in during moments of extreme laziness I'm talking about the layer right under that - the one that's kind of greenish, kind of tough to chew. I usually peel that off and throw it in the "to be made into stock" tupperware. Carrots and beets I just wash really well and then peel directly into the tupperware - oh, and I throw in the tops as well. Anything that I can get clean enough goes in there.

I saw a recipe of Ina Garten's once for chicken stock that involved three whole chickens and then throwing out all the meat I always thought of stock - meat or vegetable - being one of those things that people made in the old days from leftover scraps, and I kind have fun recreating that in my own kitchen

Note though - if you throw in any amount of beet material, expect your stock to be REALLY pink.

vCash
    I made chicken noodle soup from scratch today and it was . Perfect for a cold rainy day

Realized I forgot - does anyone add eggshells when making stock? Our discussion upthread got me interested in stock recipes and I saw that a bunch of people swear by eggshells for extra calcium. I might try that next time... not that I'll really be able to tell the difference

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    This is from Jamie Oliver's Jamie at Home - we've made it many times, and it's fabulous. No cream, but ends up quite creamy and rich.

That does sound delicious. I have to break down and get an immersion blender, and soon.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex View Post
    That does sound delicious. I have to break down and get an immersion blender, and soon.
    I've been meaning to get one - thanks to everyone here raving about them - but in the mean time, my trusty blender works just fine.

vCash
    I have a stupid baking question. I prepared an apple strudel on Sunday and instead of baking it then I decided to wrap it up and freeze it because I don't need it until Thursday for Thanksgiving dinner. I will take it out of the freezer Wednesday night and let it defrost and bake it off on Thursday before I go to visit my family. Do you think this will work? I prepared it ahead of time because I knew I wouldn't have anytime between now and Thursday to make it. If it sucks, I have some white chocolate pumpkin cookies that I can bring instead (and they still taste fresh and I made them on Saturday).

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Can't help you with baking unfortunately - other than a really good pie crust, I don't bake much!

I have a question though: deep fryers. I'd like to get one for hubby for Christmas, but all the ones I've seen seem kinda cheaply made and clunky to use. Anyone have one that they love?

His ambitions are pretty much limited to french fries and maybe onion rings - we've done them in a deep pan with a candy thermometer, but I thought it would be fun to go for the whole thing.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Stefanie View Post
    I have a stupid baking question. I prepared an apple strudel on Sunday and instead of baking it then I decided to wrap it up and freeze it because I don't need it until Thursday for Thanksgiving dinner. I will take it out of the freezer Wednesday night and let it defrost and bake it off on Thursday before I go to visit my family. Do you think this will work? I prepared it ahead of time because I knew I wouldn't have anytime between now and Thursday to make it. If it sucks, I have some white chocolate pumpkin cookies that I can bring instead (and they still taste fresh and I made them on Saturday).
    It should be fine.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post

It's both and that it's in the vegetarian section and then includes, "It’s important to use good chicken stock", which means it's not vegetarian

vCash
    Stefanie, you should be able to bake it straight from the freezer as well.
    And can you give the recipe for the white choc pumpkin cookies? Those sound delicious!
    Happy Thanksgiving everyone, by the way... What's on everyone's menu?

Quadless
    vCash
    I will take it out of the freezer Wednesday night and let it defrost and bake it off on Thursday before I go to visit my family. Do you think this will work?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ajax View Post
    Stefanie, you should be able to bake it straight from the freezer as well.
    Agree with Ajax. I'd go straight from freezer to oven, but start on a lower temperature for an initial defrost.
    "I miss footwork that has any kind of a discernible pattern. The goal of a step sequence should not be for a skater to show the same ice coverage as a Zamboni and take about as much time as an ice resurface. " ~ Zemgirl, reflecting on a pre-IJS straight line sequence

vCash
    I'm going to make a blueberry pie today for tomorrow. Should I get it ready and not bake it, or bake it today then reheat it tomorrow? I've always made it the day of for Thanksgiving.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mkats View Post
    I made chicken noodle soup from scratch today and it was . Perfect for a cold rainy day

Realized I forgot - does anyone add eggshells when making stock? Our discussion upthread got me interested in stock recipes and I saw that a bunch of people swear by eggshells for extra calcium. I might try that next time... not that I'll really be able to tell the difference
    Just add chicken bones (or beef if it's beef stock).
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    The eggshells also help to clarify the stock

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ajax View Post
    And can you give the recipe for the white choc pumpkin cookies? Those sound delicious!
    2 1/4 cups flour
    1 tsp. baking powder
    1 tsp. baking soda
    1 tsp. ground cinnamon
    2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice (I make my own because I already have the spices)
    1/2 tsp. salt
    1 stick of butter, softened
    1 cup granulated sugar
    1/2 cup brown sugar
    1 cup Pumpkin Puree (I used the stuff in the can)
    1 egg
    1 tsp. vanilla extract
    1 1/2 cup white chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Whisk the dry ingredients and set aside. Cream the butter and sugars. Add the pumpkin, egg, and vanilla and combine thoroughly. Slowly add the dry ingredients (I usually add it in thirds so as not to make a mess). Stir in the white chocolate chips. Drop spoonfuls of dough onto cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake 10-12 minutes.

You may find the amount of white chocolate chips to make the cookie too rich. I didn't, but I'm a big fan of white chocolate. Enjoy!
    Last edited by Stefanie; 11-23-2011 at 07:00 PM.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Several people in another thread asked for this recipe to be posted here - an easy, delicious pie crust:

There’s a ton of butter in this – but it’s the holidays, no? But almost zero sugar, and if you let your fruit’s own natural sweetness shine through, you need no more than a teaspoon in the filling.

Flaky Pie Dough – makes enough for two open pies, or one double crust

2 ½ cups flour
    2 tsp salt (seems like a lot to me, so I use half this amount)
    ½ tsp sugar
    1 cup (two sticks) unsalted butter, chilled in the freezer for a few minutes before using
    ¼ - ¾ cup ice water
    1. Before beginning, place a mixing bowl, plate and box grater in the fridge until they are nice and cold, along with the water.
    2. Add dry ingredients to the cold mixing bowl, and then wash your hands in cold water and bring out the cold ingredients and utensils.
    3. Using the box grater on the cold plate, grate the cold butter and then add to flour mixture. Toss with hands lightly to coat all the pieces of butter, like it’s a salad.
    4. Gradually add ice water and knead the dough until it comes together. You may not need all the ice water.
    5. Divide the dough in two, and form them into flat discs (easier to roll later). Wrap in plastic or pop into a ziploc, squeezing out the air before sealing, and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes and as long as a day or two before using.
    6. Then proceed as per recipe.

For apple pie, I assemble the pie with raw dough with slits in the top to let out steam and a brush of cream and very light dusting of sugar. Bake at 375 for 50-55 minutes.

(For the apple filling, I use spartans, about 4-5 of them with no skins, with a bit of fresh lemon juice, a teaspoon of sugar and about a tablespoon of flour to thicken it. The only spice I use is a Middle Eastern blend called baharat that I order from thespicehouse.com. It smells like Christmas, but is actually quite spicy, made from black pepper, coriander, cumin, cloves, cinnamon, cardamom, paprika and Chinese chile peppers. Sounds odd but I get raves for it every time! You could easily use standard apple pie seasoning of course, or even just cinnamon.)

Page 49 of 51 FirstFirst ... 394748495051 LastLast