Page 48 of 51 FirstFirst ... 384647484950 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Angelskates View Post
    Yay! Will be trying tomorrow!
    it was delicious! I didn't add stock (it was already liquidy enough) amd added some Roma Italian seasoning, the onion and garlic and tomatoes with some fresh basil. Easy, fast and really, really tasty!

Oh, and it was cheap too.

Any more good veg soup recipes? Soup freezes well, so it's great. Especially now it's getting cold.
    Last edited by Angelskates; 10-10-2011 at 03:48 PM.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    Does anyone know of any good lettuce wrap recipes? I was thinking of making this for dinner tomorrow but really have no clue where to begin. I was thinking of using ground chicken because I like chicken but I want the meat to be ground up very small. Then I was thinking of using mushrooms because I am obsessed with them. Other than that, what would be good? What seasoning? Most lettuce wraps are asian in style and the recipes online required tons and tons of ingredients. Do you think I could just buy some kind of asian seasoning packet and use that? Then add in what I want, such as the mushrooms, green onion, etc.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    Does anyone know of any good lettuce wrap recipes? I was thinking of making this for dinner tomorrow but really have no clue where to begin. I was thinking of using ground chicken because I like chicken but I want the meat to be ground up very small. Then I was thinking of using mushrooms because I am obsessed with them. Other than that, what would be good? What seasoning? Most lettuce wraps are asian in style and the recipes online required tons and tons of ingredients. Do you think I could just buy some kind of asian seasoning packet and use that? Then add in what I want, such as the mushrooms, green onion, etc.
    Braised eggplant is amazing, and mushroom is great too. I'm vegetarian so I often use different vegetables and sometimes add finely chopped nuts for texture.

vCash
    What is braised eggplant, the same as sauteed? We love eggplant, might have to throw that in!
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    Braised Eggplant in Garlic Sauce - a Popular Szechuan Dish

I take the pork out and cut everything up much, much smaller, but this is essentially it.

You can basically cook the eggplant with some oyster sauce and garlic too. YUM! (this is yum for every veg in my mind!)

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Vietnamese Chicken Balls in Lettuce Wraps

Lots of ingredients, but readily available, and you could always do a double batch and freeze them for another time.

I think you could easily vary the ingredients as well, just using this as inspiration.

vCash
    I couldn't afford to buy 10,000 ingredients so I just got some light soy sauce, a stir fry seasoning packet (I figure it contains a lot of stuff), fresh ginger root, sesame oil, mushrooms and some water chestnuts. I already have an onion to add. I bought 1 lb of ground chicken and 1 lb of ground pork. I also could not find the butter lettuce anywhere so we will have to make due with romaine lettuce. Not ideal for wraps but should still taste fine.
    -Brian

vCash
    ^ Bibb lettuce works well, too. Small but tasty!
    "awwww....shades of Janet Lynn" - Dick Button on anyone who makes more than one mistake in their program.

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    I make a quick & dirty lettuce wrap recipe using store-bought "Asian" sauces. This is my vegetarian version, but you could substitute any cooked ground meat:

~ Pan fry about 3 carrots, grated, with 2-3 finely diced green onions in some oil and a little soy sauce until softened. (I will sometimes add some chopped mushrooms too, but they get a bit lost with the other flavours so often don't bother.)
    ~ Crumble in 1 package of firm or extra firm tofu.
    ~ Add a generous dollop of hoisin sauce, and stir til distributed. Taste and adjust seasonings if necessary.
    ~ Let cool a bit.
    ~ To serve, spoon a scoop of the mix into a leaf of butter lettuce, and top with a drizzle of vegetarian oyster sauce. Roll up and eat.

I'll use the same mixture in rice paper rolls instead of lettuce (when butter lettuce isn't in season and therefore affordable), and serve at room temperature. Yummy!

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Reminds me of a quick and easy appetizer with very few ingredients:

Using rice paper wraps (the kind that you soak for a couple of secs), roll in shredded carrots, daikon radish, Chinese cabbage and cilantro (or whatever you like of course). No other spices or ingredients required. Keep them moist by laying on a bed of lettuce and covering with a damp tea towel until you are ready to eat. Serve with assorted dipping sauces - could use storebought, or make them yourself - any variation on hot/soy/peanut works nicely.

vCash
    They turned out pretty tasty! Unfortunately my romaine lettuce was all moldy on top so I had to run that back to the store and decided it was a sign to just use iceburg lettuce. That worked just great and made better cups, anyway. Since I got them from a produce stand I was able to find smaller heads of lettuce that made nice size cups. Next time I will use a touch less sesame seed oil, it is very strong but I only added a little to begin with, thank god. What is hoisin sauce? A lady at Walmart asked me if I saw any while we were in the Asian section but there was none to be found.
    -Brian

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    ^ Hoisin is a rich Chinese dipping/stirfy sauce, sometimes called Chinese bbq sauce. There are lots of variations, but it's basically soy sauce, molasses or honey, garlic & other seasonings, and sometimes peanuts (tho you don't really taste the peanut, it's more of a thickener). I used to make my own, it's very easy, but then I found a store-bought brand that I really liked so I usually just use that now.

vCash
    I made some great peanut butter bars tonight. I followed this recipe:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WW-L62FFxag

I decided to do a layer of chocolate on the bottom because it seemed odd to only have a little on top.

I had one problem with the peanut butter mixture. If you watch the video, you will notice that the peanut butter mixture is very runny and pours easily into the pan. Mine clumped into a ball before even adding the crumbs. I had to add in another quarter stick of butter just to add in a few of the graham cracker crumbs. I didn't use even close to all of them. Not sure what went wrong there but in order to get the same runny texture I would need probably an entire extra stick of butter or half a stick of butter extra and a lot less powdered sugar.

They still taste GREAT but the peanut butter part is a little more firm than what I would consider ideal. Next time I will tweak it a little and see if that gives me a nice soft peanut butter mixture like in a real Reeses Cup. Still very good, though! I love that it is a no bake dessert.
    -Brian

vCash
    Oooh those look yummy!

vCash
    Tonight I made hamburger steaks and the salt content was simply out of control. It is no wonder since I used a can of cream of mushroom, a half can of chicken broth and a pack of onion soup mix. Sodium galore! I decided I REALLY want to learn to make my own cream of mushroom soup. I have seen a ton of recipes online but wanted to know if anyone here has made it before and can recommend a recipe they know is good. I see many recipes call for some kind of broth so there will be salt but I can make sure to get the lowest sodium broth I can find, I suppose. It should still be better than a canned version, right? I want a pretty thick soup in the end since I often use it to thicken and make gravy. I also would like it to make a large amount (although I can just double/triple recipes) because I want to freeze a lot so I have it on hand for a while. Any one made this before?
    -Brian

vCash
    Tonight I made hamburger steaks and the salt content was simply out of control. It is no wonder since I used a can of cream of mushroom, a half can of chicken broth and a pack of onion soup mix. Sodium galore! I decided I REALLY want to learn to make my own cream of mushroom soup. I have seen a ton of recipes online but wanted to know if anyone here has made it before and can recommend a recipe they know is good. I see many recipes call for some kind of broth so there will be salt but I can make sure to get the lowest sodium broth I can find, I suppose. It should still be better than a canned version, right? I want a pretty thick soup in the end since I often use it to thicken and make gravy. I also would like it to make a large amount (although I can just double/triple recipes) because I want to freeze a lot so I have it on hand for a while. Any one made this before?
    I would suggest making a large pot of chicken stock, salt to your liking, to freeze to keep on hand.
    You will have stock for recipes and cream soups.

vCash
    Wouldn't a chicken stock be quite expensive to make, though? Since you need an entire chicken? The chicken pretty much goes to waste, right? I have always felt it was a waste and not worth the money to make my own stock but if I am wrong please enlighten me, I may try it.
    -Brian

vCash
    Wouldn't a chicken stock be quite expensive to make, though? Since you need an entire chicken? The chicken pretty much goes to waste, right? I have always felt it was a waste and not worth the money to make my own stock but if I am wrong please enlighten me, I may try it.
    The chicken doesn't go to waste if you remove it from the stock when it is cooked, take it off the bones and use it for salads or pot pies or whatever you want. Then you just put the bones back in the stock if you think the stock isn't flavorful enough and cook some more.

vCash
    I always stick a huge tupperware in the freezer and throw in all the bones, tendons, etc. from whatever chicken dishes I end up making across the month or so. No way in hell do I have the money to waste fresh chicken on stock. Another tupperware holds all the carrot and onion and beet peels from other dishes I made that month. (I wash all my root vegetables really well!) A third holds apple and pear cores with the seeds removed (it's just me, so I don't mind if there are teeth marks ) Come the end of the month, I soften all the peels with some garlic and herbs in some olive oil, throw in all the bones, add water to cover, and let it simmer for about an hour and a half to two hours. Once it starts to boil, I throw in the fruit cores for sweetness and don't bother with any extra sugar.

Once done, I pour it into smaller containers and immediately plunge into an ice bath to cool, then freeze for up to two months. It never lasts that long though before getting made into rice, soups, gravy, and the like!

vCash
    Thanks, everyone. Next time we want to make something that requires boiling chicken then I will make sure to make a stock. Do you throw in whole vegetables (meaning peel and all?) or what? mkats, you mention saving your onion and carrot and beet peels, I use a lot of onion and carrot, should I start saving the peels? I just can't imagine any flavor coming out of the papery onion peel.
    -Brian

Page 48 of 51 FirstFirst ... 384647484950 ... LastLast