Page 42 of 51 FirstFirst ... 324041424344 ... LastLast
Results 821 to 840 of 1003
  1. #821

    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    Age
    31
    Posts
    20,719
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    34207
    It just stank like a dirty beach, to be honest. I am very sensitive to the smells of seafood even though I love the taste. If anything smells remotely like the ocean then I can't stomach it. It is why I wont eat any fish unless it is a fishstick or raw tuna in a sushi roll. I don't think it was ruined but it was "minced" crab. When I bought it I thought I was buying claw meat and getting a good deal. This crab was on sale buy one get one free, if that says anything about the quality.

    At least I know it was delicious before that, the flavors were really good. I wont have to spend too much tomorrow to remake it as asparagus is only $1.50 a bundle right now (half the normal price on a good day!). I already have the butter, cream (didn't use it yet), and garlic plus I had half of a carton of stock left so I only need to buy one of those again. This is going to end up being one expensive meal but damn it, I'd rather spend more than throw it all away completely. My immersion blender worked like a charm, couldn't believe how quickly it had everything completely pureed.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

  2. #822

    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Walking to Work
    Posts
    25,842
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    32560
    Good quality, fresh seafood should smell like the ocean - fresh ocean water. If it has that "Fishy" smell, then something is wrong with it. The sea doesn't smell like fish.

  3. #823

    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    Age
    31
    Posts
    20,719
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    34207
    It reminded me of the smell of the beach in TX when we would go. The beaches in that part of TX are disgusting with tons of seaweed and lots of washed up dead fish. So when I say the ocean I really mean fishy smell. I just tend to equate that smell with the ocean because I thought that was how the ocean was supposed to smell until I was old enough to go to FL and see (and smell) a real beach. lol
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

  4. #824

    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Walking to Work
    Posts
    25,842
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    32560
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    It reminded me of the smell of the beach in TX when we would go. The beaches in that part of TX are disgusting with tons of seaweed and lots of washed up dead fish. So when I say the ocean I really mean fishy smell. I just tend to equate that smell with the ocean because I thought that was how the ocean was supposed to smell until I was old enough to go to FL and see (and smell) a real beach. lol
    Ewwwww, that IS rotten fish, I'm afraid.

  5. #825
    From the Bloc
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    California, I wish
    Posts
    17,363
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    11617
    Oh Brian, I'm so sorry the meal was a disaster! Bravo to you for sticking to it. New recipes are often a learning experience anyway, so at least this time you know it will be great. If you really want to get crab into it, why not go for some crabmeat (maybe with a little good Louisiana seasoning!) spread on crostini on the side? That way you get all the flavours you had hoped for, but let the asparagus soup also stand on its own. Any time you have fresh ingredients in season, they really should be the star of the show.

    All this talk of immersion blenders - I think I really need to get one. You can't believe the number of blenders we have been through in the past few years - between soups, daily smoothies and blender cocktails, we're quite hard on them.

    On a related note for Brian especially, Martha Hall Foose has just published her second book. She's a local writer, and both books are filled with gorgeous photography and memories of life in the south, and fabulous recipes. She's the perfect combination of trained, skilled cook and someone who loves to cook for family and friends and celebrates heritage recipes and methods. The new book is A Southerly Course, and the first one is Screen Doors and Sweet Tea.

  6. #826
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Age
    31
    Posts
    2,640
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    blender cocktails
    Hmm...what exactly are blender cocktails? Sounds delightful!

  7. #827
    From the Bloc
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    California, I wish
    Posts
    17,363
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    11617
    Quote Originally Posted by Stefanie View Post
    Hmm...what exactly are blender cocktails? Sounds delightful!
    Pina Coladas

    • One blender full of ice
    • 1 cup rum of choice
    • 1 cup pineapple juice
    • 1/3 to 1/2 cup coconut cream (not milk)


    Makes 4 tall servings.

    Variation - Trader Vic's Chi Chis

    • One blender full of ice
    • 1 cup vodka
    • 1 cup pineapple juice
    • 1/3 to 1/2 cup coconut cream (not milk)
    • Dash of grenadine
    • Fresh mint leaves to garnish.


    Makes 4 tall servings.


  8. #828
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Age
    31
    Posts
    2,640
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    Pina Coladas

    • One blender full of ice
    • 1 cup rum of choice
    • 1 cup pineapple juice
    • 1/3 to 1/2 cup coconut cream (not milk)


    Makes 4 tall servings.

    Variation - Trader Vic's Chi Chis

    • One blender full of ice
    • 1 cup vodka
    • 1 cup pineapple juice
    • 1/3 to 1/2 cup coconut cream (not milk)
    • Dash of grenadine
    • Fresh mint leaves to garnish.


    Makes 4 tall servings.

    Thank you, Jenny! Can't wait to try those. I actually have pineapple juice on hand for once. I just to need to buy the coconut cream.

  9. #829
    From the Bloc
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    California, I wish
    Posts
    17,363
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    11617
    Quote Originally Posted by Stefanie View Post
    Thank you, Jenny! Can't wait to try those. I actually have pineapple juice on hand for once. I just to need to buy the coconut cream.
    I think you are in the US - Coco Lopez is the preferred brand. 1/2 cup is what recipes usually call for, but we reduce that to 1/3 because we don't like things too sweet. Do let us know if you enjoy

  10. #830
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Age
    31
    Posts
    2,640
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    I think you are in the US - Coco Lopez is the preferred brand. 1/2 cup is what recipes usually call for, but we reduce that to 1/3 because we don't like things too sweet. Do let us know if you enjoy
    Oh yeah, I am familiar with Coco Lopez. It occurred to me that I made Blue Hawaiis in a blender one time. And they were delicious. But I don't think I saved the recipe. (And, yes, I know I could find a bunch online now.)

  11. #831
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Beantown
    Posts
    3,302
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    All this talk of immersion blenders - I think I really need to get one. You can't believe the number of blenders we have been through in the past few years - between soups, daily smoothies and blender cocktails, we're quite hard on them.
    Oh Jenny, you absolutely MUST get one! It is an amazing appliance. Once you make homemade mayonnaise with it (it takes all of 20 seconds) you will not regret the purchase.

  12. #832
    From the Bloc
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    California, I wish
    Posts
    17,363
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    11617
    Quote Originally Posted by Ajax View Post
    Oh Jenny, you absolutely MUST get one! It is an amazing appliance. Once you make homemade mayonnaise with it (it takes all of 20 seconds) you will not regret the purchase.
    OK I'll get one (doesn't take much to get me to spend money on kitchen stuff ) - but not for mayo. I make that with my stand mixer.

  13. #833

    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    13,527
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    42165
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex View Post
    Good quality, fresh seafood should smell like the ocean - fresh ocean water. If it has that "Fishy" smell, then something is wrong with it. The sea doesn't smell like fish.
    This!

  14. #834

    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    Age
    31
    Posts
    20,719
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    34207
    Thanks for the suggestion, Jenny!

    You must get an immersion blender. I got mine at a high end kitchen store and it was only $20! That was a good deal so it may be more on a regular day. It is a nice brand, I think Cuisinart. 200 watts which is all you really need.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

  15. #835

    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Walking to Work
    Posts
    25,842
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    32560
    Quote Originally Posted by Ajax View Post
    Once you make homemade mayonnaise with it (it takes all of 20 seconds) you will not regret the purchase.
    I love homemade mayo; a buddy of mine had an ex-bf who made some and it was so good - with an almost sweet taste to it.
    Quote Originally Posted by skatesindreams View Post
    This!
    I learned this from a fishmonger in Vancouver; I didn't know this before 2006!

  16. #836

    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    3,268
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    3493
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex View Post
    I love homemade mayo; a buddy of mine had an ex-bf who made some and it was so good - with an almost sweet taste to it.

    I make a curried chicken salad that gets raves every time I serve it to guests. The secret ingredient: the homemade mayonnaise.

  17. #837
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Age
    31
    Posts
    2,640
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    It makes you wonder why some people don't like mayonnaise. Maybe it's because they've never had homemade?

  18. #838
    Grooving!
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    southern U.S.
    Posts
    2,036
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Stefanie View Post
    It makes you wonder why some people don't like mayonnaise. Maybe it's because they've never had homemade?
    My problem with it is the eggs. Don't like eggs at all!

  19. #839

    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    Age
    31
    Posts
    20,719
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    34207
    My whole life I thought Miracle Whip WAS mayonnaise.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

  20. #840

    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Walking to Work
    Posts
    25,842
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    32560
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    My whole life I thought Miracle Whip WAS mayonnaise.
    Nope.
    I used to as well, and Mom and I used to argue about which was better. She has always hated Miracle Whip; I like MW or mayo, but for certain sandwiches, the taste of MW works for me. I made potato salad with Miracle Whip for a family cookout once, and she flat-out refused to eat it.

Page 42 of 51 FirstFirst ... 324041424344 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •