Page 39 of 51 FirstFirst ... 29373839404149 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex View Post
    Slightly OT but I have issues with Gina, serious ones.
    Ok, you knew I was going to ask you what those were. Am I the only one tired of the Spice Fairy and Lil Piggy?

I used to really like them when they first came on, but they are about on my nerves. There isn't that much togetherness in the world, is there?
    The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are--Joseph Campbell

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FiveRinger View Post
    Ok, you knew I was going to ask you what those were. Am I the only one tired of the Spice Fairy and Lil Piggy?

I used to really like them when they first came on, but they are about on my nerves. There isn't that much togetherness in the world, is there?
    Oy, her voice is like nails on a chalkboard. Pat I can tolerate. Love his interaction with his brothers and his family dishes.

vCash
    Oy, her voice is like nails on a chalkboard. Pat I can tolerate. Love his interaction with his brothers and his family dishes.
    I can see that. And yes, his interaction with his family is nice.

vCash
    I can see that. And yes, his interaction with his family is nice.
    I made their creamed collard greens and they came out pretty good.

They should do "The Neely BROTHERS" and focus on the family business. I'd like that better than him and Gina pawing over each other all the time.

vCash
    I made their creamed collard greens and they came out pretty good.

They should do "The Neely BROTHERS" and focus on the family business. I'd like that better than him and Gina pawing over each other all the time.
    Exactly! How much rep do I owe you now?

vCash
    Exactly! How much rep do I owe you now?
    Lots. Don't worry about it. Great minds just think alike.

vCash
    Has anybody here tried making pickles? Or better yet, pickles without canning?

vCash
    I do pickles in the spring/summer during the season, but I always can them. I've done dill and bread and butter. I use a mix mostly (Mrs. Wages), but I have done bread and butter from scratch. Use the mix, it's easier and I think tastier.

Is it cucumber season where you live?

vCash
    Not yet, but I've had a crazy pickle craving for the last few months and finally thought it might be cheaper/more fun to make my own? I've bought so many jars recently and in the summer I'm always drowning in cucumbers!

vCash
    I'm buying jars now as well. If you have a WalMart near you, they might have the stuff on clearance now. I just picked up about 5 packets of the dill pickle mix and pickling spices for under $10. I've never seen the bread and butter mix there, but I've ordered it from Amazon to use. I've also made the bread and butter from scratch, but honestly the mix tastes better (to me) and is way easier.

Once the season comes, post about it! I make regular round pickles but I also slice the cukes longways and make sandwich stacker pickles too!

And the Mrs. Wages salsa mix is terrific too. In the summer I use fresh tomatoes to make it, but in the winter I use good canned tomatoes. I've had people tell me it's the best salsa they've ever had. I can't eat the store bought stuff anymore, it's too mushy for me now. I make the salsa year round.....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Christina View Post
    I'm buying jars now as well. If you have a WalMart near you, they might have the stuff on clearance now. I just picked up about 5 packets of the dill pickle mix and pickling spices for under $10. I've never seen the bread and butter mix there, but I've ordered it from Amazon to use. I've also made the bread and butter from scratch, but honestly the mix tastes better (to me) and is way easier.

Once the season comes, post about it! I make regular round pickles but I also slice the cukes longways and make sandwich stacker pickles too!
    Oh I most certainly will! I just started the eggplants and basil today and will start tomatoes in March... then cucumbers, squash, chard, beans, all that good stuff in April/May. I can't wait for the summer months with fresh made pesto and tomato sauce and salads and pickles.....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    Eureka! Instead of the dreaded limeade concentrate I used a couple of shots of Limoncello along with the lemon and orange zest. And I whipped my own cream, thank you very much, none of that stuff from the can, Mrs. Neely!

I didn't use any additional sugar as the graham crackers already have plenty and other than that used the recipe above. It's in the freezer now and was super easy to make (if you disregard the ache in my elbow from the whipping...)
    A Limoncello Frozen Pie sounds delicious, I'm going to try this, but I'm going to use my KA for the whipping. I have always been impressed how it can be done by a I whisk ,though.
    I don't understand why people still use the tub and can stuff when they can have fresh, yummy, whipped, relatively healthy stuff in a matter of minutes.

vCash
    I made this cream of potato soup this morning before heading off to skating practice. It was pretty good, I was impressed! Apparently following the directions exactly produces much better results than improvising, like I did the last time I made soup... who would've thought

I think I could have probably let the potatoes cook a little bit longer in the water before adding milk and flour and maybe next time I'd try putting some of it in a blender, but it'll still get taken for a lunch tomorrow.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mkats View Post
    Has anybody here tried making pickles? Or better yet, pickles without canning?
    Maybe ages ago. But I've bought some "un-canned" pickles recently, and they're pretty good. Here's a recipe that doesn't require canning, or even vinegar:

Fermented Cucumber Pickles

Difficulty: Easy

Yield: 1 quart

Ingredients:

4-5 pickling cucumbers or 15-20 gherkins
    1 tablespoon mustard seeds
    2 tablespoons fresh dill, snipped
    1 tablespoon sea salt
    4 tablespoons whey (if not available, use an additional 1 tablespoon salt)
    1 cup filtered water

Wash cucumbers well and place in a quart-sized, wide-mouth mason jar. Combine remaining ingredients and pour over cucumbers, adding more water if necessary to cover the cucumbers. The top of the liquid should be at least 1 inch below the top of the jar. Cover tightly and keep at room temperature for about 3 days before transferring to cold storage.

Variation: Pickled Cucumber Slices
    Wash cucumbers well and slice at 1/4 inch intervals. Proceed with recipe. Pickles will be ready for cold storage after about 2 days at room temperature.

From http://thenourishingcook.com/2010/09...thout-vinegar/

vCash
    Ok, if I wasn't going out of town tomorrow, I'd make these right now!

Oreo, Nutter Butter, and Girl Scout Cookie STUFFED cookies
    http://www.seriouseats.com/2011/02/o...s-recipes.html

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    This is nothing new or earth shattering but it was so good I had to share.

I made an asparagus salad tonight. I blanched my asparagus for 2-3 minutes after cutting them into 1-2 inch pieces and put them in a ice water bath. I put them in a bowl with finely sliced red onion and sprinkled on some feta cheese. I topped it off with some balsamic basil vinaigrette. It was delicious. Next time I may add some tomatoes and nuts might even be good although I don't prefer nuts in my salad for the most part. This was a much healthier substitute for bread. I also used egg noodles instead of regular pasta for our main dish and turkey meat instead of ground beef. Trying to figure out new ways to eat healthy.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Sounds great! It made me think of one of the best salads I've ever had - if you enjoy asparagus in salad, try this: Balthazar Salad (slightly adapted)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by neptune View Post
    Variation: Pickled Cucumber Slices
    Wash cucumbers well and slice at 1/4 inch intervals. Proceed with recipe. Pickles will be ready for cold storage after about 2 days at room temperature.

From http://thenourishingcook.com/2010/09...thout-vinegar/
    Mom used to make cucumber slices similar to this - she'd peel and slice them, then place them in a solution of one part white vinegar and two parts water, and place them in the fridge for a few hours before dinner. They also make great munchies in warm weather.

vCash
    Does anyone have a good recipe for singapore chicken flavored rice? I've realized that I actually am indifferent to the chicken part of Hainanese chicken rice but I absolutely love the rice.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    I make rice pilaf with this seasoning sometimes - maybe the ingredient list will help?

Page 39 of 51 FirstFirst ... 29373839404149 ... LastLast