Page 3 of 51 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 1003
  1. #41
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Shallow South
    Posts
    2,886
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Sorry to bring chili back since you all move on to something else but just allow me to share my hearty chili recipe for BigBO8822. Not really a big fun of chili myself but my kids love this one for winter and it's big hit for co-workers on potlock days. Quite similar to what you guys already mentioned but here it is.....

    HEARTY WINTER CHILI (meat or veg.)

    1 1/2 lb ground turkey or beef or no meat at all

    1 chopped large onion
    4 cloves garlick
    1 cup cube fresh green paper
    1 cup corn (fresh or canned)
    1 big can whole tomatoes - chopped

    1 big can kidney beans
    1 can regular pork and beans
    2 small can tomato sauce
    1/2 cup barbecue sauce
    1/4 cup soy sauce
    2 tbsp brown sugar
    2 tbs worcesteshire sauce
    3 tbs hot chili sauce and all the chili spice and salt to taste

    ENJOY!!!!!!!!

  2. #42

    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    Age
    31
    Posts
    20,716
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    33350
    Thanks for the recipe! I am definitely going to leave out the green PAPER though
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

  3. #43
    From the Bloc
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    California, I wish
    Posts
    17,332
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    10728
    Just placed another order at www.thespicehouse.com - I'm like an old man at a dirty magazine store there, it's like porn to me!

  4. #44

    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    3,265
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    2595
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    Just placed another order at www.thespicehouse.com - I'm like an old man at a dirty magazine store there, it's like porn to me!

    Kitchen/cooking porn is the best there is. Me, personally, I can't keep my hands off cookbooks; they keep finding their way into my apartment - I swear I don't know how they got here!

  5. #45

    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Walking to Work
    Posts
    25,842
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    32560
    What is green paper and why is it in a chili recipe?

    Quote Originally Posted by emason View Post
    Kitchen/cooking porn is the best there is. Me, personally, I can't keep my hands off cookbooks; they keep finding their way into my apartment - I swear I don't know how they got here!
    My aunt gave me her 2006 Food & Wine Yearbook, and I swear, when I'm not making things from it, I lurve leafing through the pics and just reading the recipes....somebody help me!!

  6. #46

    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    3,265
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    2595
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex View Post
    What is green paper and why is it in a chili recipe?



    My aunt gave me her 2006 Food & Wine Yearbook, and I swear, when I'm not making things from it, I lurve leafing through the pics and just reading the recipes....somebody help me!!
    It's a problem isn't it? Maybe we can all chip in and get you Aunt Sandy's book for Christmas (she has one, right?); that will cure you (and me).

  7. #47
    From the Bloc
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    California, I wish
    Posts
    17,332
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    10728
    Quote Originally Posted by emason View Post
    It's a problem isn't it? Maybe we can all chip in and get you Aunt Sandy's book for Christmas (she has one, right?); that will cure you (and me).
    I actually have one of hers.

    In my defense, it's among hundreds of others - full bookcase in the kitchen, full bookcase in the dining room, stack beside that shelf and a few on coffee table. I need to buy more bookcases.

    I love cookbooks for the ideas and instruction, but also the social and cultural history. I seek out regional and other specific cuisines, and have a ton of vintage cookbooks that tell the story of how we lived in the past, and what led us to where we are now, and where we might end up in the future.

    Please do share your favourites, as I'm always in the market for more.

  8. #48
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Shallow South
    Posts
    2,886
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Rex;2413397]What is green paper and why is it in a chili recipe?
    Sorry, must have been thinking of the paper work overload I have in front of me when I typed my recipe. No wonder BigBO8822 doesnt want to "pepper" in her chile.

    Speaking of cookbooks, I started collecting last year and I now have a shelf full. I especially love the delicious, colorful, picture presentation of each recipe. It's like collecting pieces of artwork.

  9. #49

    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Walking to Work
    Posts
    25,842
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    32560
    Quote Originally Posted by emason View Post
    It's a problem isn't it? Maybe we can all chip in and get you Aunt Sandy's book for Christmas (she has one, right?); that will cure you (and me).
    Truly the cure for what ails me!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by JILEN View Post
    Sorry, must have been thinking of the paper work overload I have in front of me when I typed my recipe. No wonder BigBO8822 doesnt want to "pepper" in her chile.

    Speaking of cookbooks, I started collecting last year and I now have a shelf full. I especially love the delicious, colorful, picture presentation of each recipe. It's like collecting pieces of artwork.
    Oh, pEPPer, not pAPer...

  10. #50

    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    3,265
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    2595
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    I actually have one of hers.

    In my defense, it's among hundreds of others - full bookcase in the kitchen, full bookcase in the dining room, stack beside that shelf and a few on coffee table. I need to buy more bookcases.

    I love cookbooks for the ideas and instruction, but also the social and cultural history. I seek out regional and other specific cuisines, and have a ton of vintage cookbooks that tell the story of how we lived in the past, and what led us to where we are now, and where we might end up in the future.

    Please do share your favourites, as I'm always in the market for more.
    I like cookbooks that tell me the why of things. Marcella Hazan doesn't just tell me to cook my scallopine in butter and olive oil; she tells me it's because butter burns at a lower temperature and you need the olive oil to help counteract that - or the cookbook that tells me when I am making an orange cake that I need lemon juice as well as orange juice, because orange is a volatile flavor that dissipates easily and lemon juice helps punch up the orange flavor.

    Just keep buying what interests you; you can't go wrong that way.

  11. #51
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Really Missing Alex Wong
    Age
    30
    Posts
    8,353
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Emason, if you don't want to use olive oil and butter, you could just clarify the butter, which is basically a step after melting it. Put the butter in a pan and heat until the milk solids seperate from the butter and skim the milk solids off the top.

    Clarified butter is commonly used in a lot of sauces and what not as well. It's a really handy to thing to know to do. Most chefs use Clarified Butter to make a roux with as well instead of whole butter.

  12. #52

    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    3,265
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    2595
    Quote Originally Posted by LordCirque View Post
    Emason, if you don't want to use olive oil and butter, you could just clarify the butter, which is basically a step after melting it. Put the butter in a pan and heat until the milk solids seperate from the butter and skim the milk solids off the top.

    Clarified butter is commonly used in a lot of sauces and what not as well. It's a really handy to thing to know to do. Most chefs use Clarified Butter to make a roux with as well instead of whole butter.
    Thanks for the tip; I'll try it next time I'm making a roux.

  13. #53

    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Walking to Work
    Posts
    25,842
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    32560
    I've got some shrimp and salmon I have to use. I want to do a pasta bake of some sort. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

  14. #54

    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Posts
    3,389
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    20692
    One of my old roommates used to make a baked pasta dish and mix in tuna. Just cooked the noodles and mixed in cheese and then the tuna. I think you could do the same thing with salmon.

  15. #55
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Age
    28
    Posts
    2,827
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    1192
    Quote Originally Posted by emason View Post
    I like cookbooks that tell me the why of things. Marcella Hazan doesn't just tell me to cook my scallopine in butter and olive oil; she tells me it's because butter burns at a lower temperature and you need the olive oil to help counteract that - or the cookbook that tells me when I am making an orange cake that I need lemon juice as well as orange juice, because orange is a volatile flavor that dissipates easily and lemon juice helps punch up the orange flavor.

    Just keep buying what interests you; you can't go wrong that way.
    If you don't already have it, you should look at this book. It's not so much a cookbook, it's more of a reference book, but it's really interesting. My mom and aunt both have it and love it.

    http://www.amazon.ca/Food-Cooking-Sc.../dp/0684800012

  16. #56
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Really Missing Alex Wong
    Age
    30
    Posts
    8,353
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Also Emason, if you're making an orange cake. You'll want to use orange zest AND the juice. You get more flavor from the zest of the fruit than the juice. If you don't have one already, I suggest going to Bed Bath and Beyond and spending 10 bucks on a microzester. Zest from any fruit, lemon, lime, orange, grapefruit, whatever... perks up ANYTHING you're making be it cookies, cakes, sauces, salads, etc...

  17. #57

    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Walking to Work
    Posts
    25,842
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    32560
    Quote Originally Posted by sk8pics View Post
    One of my old roommates used to make a baked pasta dish and mix in tuna. Just cooked the noodles and mixed in cheese and then the tuna. I think you could do the same thing with salmon.
    Thanks - what kind of cheese?

  18. #58

    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    3,265
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    2595
    Quote Originally Posted by KikiSashaFan View Post
    If you don't already have it, you should look at this book. It's not so much a cookbook, it's more of a reference book, but it's really interesting. My mom and aunt both have it and love it.

    http://www.amazon.ca/Food-Cooking-Sc.../dp/0684800012
    Thanks so much for mentioning this; I actually have it somewhere buried on a bookshelf and had forgotten about. A long gone friend gave it (or some earlier version of it) to me as a Christmas present many years ago.

  19. #59

    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    3,265
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    2595
    Quote Originally Posted by LordCirque View Post
    Also Emason, if you're making an orange cake. You'll want to use orange zest AND the juice. You get more flavor from the zest of the fruit than the juice. If you don't have one already, I suggest going to Bed Bath and Beyond and spending 10 bucks on a microzester. Zest from any fruit, lemon, lime, orange, grapefruit, whatever... perks up ANYTHING you're making be it cookies, cakes, sauces, salads, etc...
    You'd better believe I have a microzester; I use it all the time.

  20. #60

    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Walking to Work
    Posts
    25,842
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    32560
    Quote Originally Posted by sk8pics View Post
    One of my old roommates used to make a baked pasta dish and mix in tuna. Just cooked the noodles and mixed in cheese and then the tuna. I think you could do the same thing with salmon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex View Post
    Thanks - what kind of cheese?
    Scratch that; a friend texted me with some ideas. It came out okay too.

Page 3 of 51 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •