Page 12 of 51 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bobalina77 View Post
    Okay so just on low should work then? I'm so hopeless haha!
    If the butter has been at room temperature for a while and it's soft then yes, the lowest speed setting on the mixer should work just fine.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Okay so just on low should work then? I'm so hopeless haha!
    If you have a KitchenAid stand mixer, you can use low for mixing almost anything. I would never use a higher setting for cake batter, no matter what the instructions on the recipe say. It's very easy to overmix cake batter.

If you have a KitchenAid hand mixer, then I wouldn't use it for cakes at all. I have one of each and that hand mixer is awesome for a lot of things, but not for cakes. It's extremely powerful for a hand mixer and overbeats cake batter something fierce. Even being aware that this is a problem hasn't helped. I always use my stand mixer for cake batter.
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    I've never used an electric steamer, but often use a metal basket over steaming water in a pot to do veggies. For more flavour, how about a few sprigs of fresh herbs on top to steam with the veggies? Rosemary and thyme should add a lot of flavour; parsley or celery leaves a bit more subtley.

Then after, butter is always good but if you don't want to do that, a toss with a bit of olive oil and some herbs and spices can make all the difference. For example, cumin works really well with carrots or cauliflower, and some hot chili flakes with broccoli can be quite nice too. Celery seeds or leaves are nice with green beans, along with some sauteed onions, and if you want to take it a step further, toast some chopped up almonds in a dry fry pan and toss in as well.

Let us know what you come up with!
    I have never been what you call a gourmet chef, but I am definitely going to try your suggestions. I have never tried fresh herbs before, so that will new. I do not care for celery, but I do like rosemary and thyme, so I will start with those. And I absolutely love onions. And of course, I will let you know how it works out for me!

Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    You'll have to season the food before and/or after steaming or season the water before turning on the steamer. There are a lot of salt-free or low-sodium alternatives to flavoring your food. For steamed vegetables, I always sprinkle them with a lemon & pepper salt substitute. For fish, you can try steaming them with scallions, ginger or pepper. You can also try sprinkling seafood seasoning like O-Bay into the water before steaming, or use a low-sodium soy sauce as a condiment for eating any of the steamed white fish.
    I hadn't even thought of low-sodium alternatives for flavoring food, so again, it's something that I plan to research. I plan to experiment with all of your suggestions and tell you which ones I like best.

Is it okay to use stock in your steamer instead of water? Just a thought....
    The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are--Joseph Campbell

vCash
    Arrgh! I just dropped my apple crumble, hot out of the oven. Broke my favorite casserole dish and I was looking forward to the apple crumble all day. On the bright side I could have scalded my feet when it fall, but the boiling hot mass just missed them.

vCash
    So I made the cake last night.. the mixer is fricken amazing! Even my boyfriend was amazed! Love the fact that I don't have to spend the whole time it's mixing scraping the sides of the bowl.
    Just want to make sure that you're aware-

You still DO have to scrape down the sides of the bowl. I've only used a stand mixer a couple times, but I tend to find that the bottom of the bowl tends to get neglected the most by the paddle/whisk/etc. Definitely stop a few times in the process, scrape down the sides of the bowl, and the bottom and stir with a rubber spatula or wooden spoon.

The unfortunate part is that it doesn't magically make me a good baker I made just a boxed mix cake and for some reason the top of it rose like crazy and the edges cooked faster than the middle did so they burned slightly. What's the deal? I know my oven is off a bit temperature wise so I adjusted that.. maybe not enough? Did I put too much in the pan? I only filled it half full.
    From my experience, unless you're using an oven thermometer to measure the temperature of your oven, I would change baking times before turning the temperature setting up or down. If you're oven tends to run hot, start checking whatever you might be baking for done-ness 5-10 minutes before the minimum recommended baking time in the recipe. Check every 5 minutes, and maybe even less than that if it looks close, but not quite. I know it seems like a hassle, but I've definitely had things get overbaked when I'm not as careful with the time.

Filling halfway is fine. As long as you don't go more than 2/3 you should be okay from my experience.

Interesting your observation about cupcakes. I always get better results making cupcakes than when using round pans too! I haven't figured out why either!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by asdf334 View Post

You still DO have to scrape down the sides of the bowl. I've only used a stand mixer a couple times, but I tend to find that the bottom of the bowl tends to get neglected the most by the paddle/whisk/etc. Definitely stop a few times in the process, scrape down the sides of the bowl, and the bottom and stir with a rubber spatula or wooden spoon . . .
    That is whyI prefer my handmixer - it's lightweight, powerful, and I find it quicker and easier than the stand mixer, which has been sitting in the basement storage now for years.

With respect to your cake layers, be sure to tap down the pan on the countertop before placing it in the oven - the batter may not be level and that is why it rises so much in the center.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FiveRinger View Post

Is it okay to use stock in your steamer instead of water? Just a thought....
    I don't see why not. If you have a plastic steamer container then I don't think it'll retain the odor of the broth whereas a bamboo steamer might though, but it won't damage it.

Duck Hunter
    vCash

You still DO have to scrape down the sides of the bowl. I've only used a stand mixer a couple times, but I tend to find that the bottom of the bowl tends to get neglected the most by the paddle/whisk/etc. Definitely stop a few times in the process, scrape down the sides of the bowl, and the bottom and stir with a rubber spatula or wooden spoon.
    Really? I haven't had that issue at all. I've used it 3 times now (made cookies from scratch last night.. yay!) and it's done an awesome job at mixing on it's own. Mind you I'm used to using my mom's old stand mixer where the beaters stay in one place and the bowl turns which is completely useless

From my experience, unless you're using an oven thermometer to measure the temperature of your oven, I would change baking times before turning the temperature setting up or down. If you're oven tends to run hot, start checking whatever you might be baking for done-ness 5-10 minutes before the minimum recommended baking time in the recipe. Check every 5 minutes, and maybe even less than that if it looks close, but not quite. I know it seems like a hassle, but I've definitely had things get overbaked when I'm not as careful with the time.

Filling halfway is fine. As long as you don't go more than 2/3 you should be okay from my experience.

Interesting your observation about cupcakes. I always get better results making cupcakes than when using round pans too! I haven't figured out why either!
    Actually I found out with my cookies last night that my oven is WAY hotter than it should be. It was supposed to be set at 375 and bake for 12 mins and after about 5 mins the cookies were burned on the bottom, unevenly brown on top and pretty much raw in the middle I turned it down to 300 and baked them for 12 mins and they came out beautifully! I was pretty excited

I made a spice cake (from a box again) night before last and it turned out better than the first cake I made. So I'm getting better! I've figured out though that I'm just not a huge fan of cake in general.. unless it's like a mousse cake or something.

Beach Bum
    vCash
    I don't think I posted this before:

ENGLISH TRIFLE
    It is really just a trifle of this and a trifle of that so you can substitute any of the ingredients for something you like!
    Ingredients:
    • Pound cake (or lady fingers or angel food cake)
    • Raspberry Jam (or any other jam – I don’t recommend marmalade)
    • Can of peaches/pears (cut up) or fruit cocktail packed in juice (need something with juice or light syrup to soak into the cake)
    • Fresh or frozen raspberries, blackberries or other favorite fruit
    • Optional: Medium Dry Sherry (Amontillado)
    • Birds Custard (can use other brands or pudding, but this is traditional Brit stuff)
    • Whipping Cream

Directions:
    Cut cake into slices, spread with jam, and make “sandwiches” with 2 slices put together. Break up and fit cake sandwiches into bottom of trifle or other large glass bowl.
    Cover cake with fruit, including juice from canned fruit. If desired, pour ½ to 1 cup of sherry over the fruit.
    Make Birds Custard according to label on package till it starts to thicken. A small trifle takes 1 recipe of custard. A large one can take 1 ½ to 2 recipes.
    Pour hot custard starting in center of bowl so that hot custard doesn’t crack the glass. As it cools a little pour out to sides so all fruit/cake is covered.
    Let trifle cool, then let set in refrigerator overnight or as described on Birds package.
    When ready to serve, top with whipped cream.

Options: You can make a chocolate trifle by using chocolate cake or chocolate custard and putting chocolate shavings on top of the whipped cream.
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

vCash
    Does anyone know who makes a good store-bought hummus? I've never had it, but for my resolution this year is to step outside of my comfort zone. And, anyone who knows me knows that for me to even consider tasting hummus is a big leap. I want to taste it, but I don't want to make an huge investment in something I may/may not like. Any suggestions?
    Last edited by FiveRinger; 01-06-2010 at 01:21 AM. Reason: Where in the grocery store do you find this stuff?
    The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are--Joseph Campbell

vCash
    Does anyone know who makes a good store-bought hummus? I've never had it, but for my resolution this year is to step outside of my comfort zone. And, anyone who knows me knows that for me to even consider tasting hummus is a big leap. I want to taste it, but I don't want to make an huge investment in something I may/may not like. Any suggestions?
    The 2 most prevalent brands where I live (Queens, NY) are Tribe and Sabra. Those in the know tell me that the local Israeli community really favors Sabra and doesn't think much of Tribe. I've eaten both and prefer Sabra myself; I didn't like the aftertaste I got with Tribe.

vCash
    I made the best supper last night... chicken parmesan meatballs with spaghetti and homemade tomato sauce.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    • Raspberry Jam (or any other jam – I don’t recommend marmalade)
    It sounds great - I've always wanted to make a trifle. But why not marmalade?

My experience has been to go with a local or regional brand. I haven't seen a national brand anywhere. Does one exist?

Duck Hunter
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Habs View Post
    I made the best supper last night... chicken parmesan meatballs with spaghetti and homemade tomato sauce.
    Mmm.. sounds awesome! I love making spaghetti sauce and letting it slow cook all day.. so frickin tasty!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex View Post

My experience has been to go with a local or regional brand. I haven't seen a national brand anywhere. Does one exist?
    I think the Sabra brand may be national, but I am not 100% sure.

Beach Bum
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex View Post
    It sounds great - I've always wanted to make a trifle. But why not marmalade?
    The peel has a bitter taste that is really good on some things, but does not blend as well in the trifle - and the little stringy peel pieces start floating around. In the case of lime marmelade, it is a little too tart.

I haven't seen Sabra before, but I like Tribe. If there is a Trader Joe near you, I like the Roasted Garlic hummus there.
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

Caulkhead forever
    vCash
    I grew up with a tradition of sherry trifle on Boxing Day. It was a don't-drive-after-second-helpings trifle We always had a jelly base - sponge fingers soaked in the alcohol (in later years we often had it with port instead, which I like even better) then put into the dish and jelly made up and poured over to set before the other layers are added. I've never liked trifle myself, all that cold slime but I still love sponge fingers in jelly.
    I am too long away from water;
    I have a need of water near.

Duck Hunter
    vCash
    Boyfriend and I found this trifle at the grocery store that had chocolate cake, chocolate and vanilla pudding, whipped cream and cream puffs on top. Not a traditional trifle but to die for none the less

From the Bloc
    vCash
    I am attempting to make mayo from scratch for the first time later today. More to come ....

Demon Barber
    vCash
    I am scared of broiling/using my broiler. Any tips?

PS - Who knew that drawer under the oven wasn't a drawer, but a broiler? hm.

Page 12 of 51 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast