Page 41 of 51 FirstFirst ... 313940414243 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    I am thinking of leaving the mushrooms out, as you said Jenny, that may just be a little too much. I am going to attempt to poach an egg. I read up on it and watched some videos. Vinegar is important because it helps coagulate the egg when it hits the water so it wont break apart. It is also important to not have the water boiling when you put in the egg or it will break all apart. You have to bring the water to a boil then bring the temp down by stirring it and/or turning the temp down then let it cook very gently until it is done. Another big trick is to stir the water in a circular pattern before dropping in the egg. Do this until a whirlpool forms and drop the egg right in the middle where the whirlpool is. This keeps the egg together in the center, as well. I may have trouble because we have an electric stove and it is really not easy to drop the temperature down once the water begins boiling. If I buy a dozen eggs I can practice on 4 or so. lol
    It can be challenging to cook on an electric stove sometimes. Especially when I bake.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Much as I love my gas stove, I must say I'm inspired when I see what a good and enthusiastic cook can do with the most simple equipment. On the series Jamie at Home, Jamie was often cooking in his garden with a cutting board on his lap, a cranked rotisserie on the ground, or a biscuit tin converted to a smoker box for salmon with chicken wire. Not long ago, I was at a trendy restaurant where the open kitchen revealed an old electric stove manned by a team of 4 serving 30 people in the restaurant. I love Diners Drive Ins and Dives - there's one where a guy is making gourmet burgers and other dishes using only tabletop appliances!

Great equipment sure helps, but I think great ingredients and a cook who loves to do so are more important.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    Much as I love my gas stove, I must say I'm inspired when I see what a good and enthusiastic cook can do with the most simple equipment. On the series Jamie at Home, Jamie was often cooking in his garden with a cutting board on his lap, a cranked rotisserie on the ground, or a biscuit tin converted to a smoker box for salmon with chicken wire. Not long ago, I was at a trendy restaurant where the open kitchen revealed an old electric stove manned by a team of 4 serving 30 people in the restaurant. I love Diners Drive Ins and Dives - there's one where a guy is making gourmet burgers and other dishes using only tabletop appliances!

Great equipment sure helps, but I think great ingredients and a cook who loves to do so are more important.
    I saw that Jamie Oliver ep where he used that crank rotisserie - I want one of those so badly I could easily set that up on my fire escape with a makeshift pit made from bricks and roast a chicken or something.

With the electric stoves, in my experience, it affects the cooking time and temps depending on the recipe. When I make my Cuban Shrip Casserole, it cooks quicker than the recipe suggests because of my electric stove.

Or maybe I just have a shitty stove . I had to give my ex this gorgeous roasting pan I got from Kitchen Kapers because it was too big bythismuch for my stove. . His new bf uses it religiously .

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex View Post
    I saw that Jamie Oliver ep where he used that crank rotisserie - I want one of those so badly I could easily set that up on my fire escape with a makeshift pit made from bricks and roast a chicken or something.
    I know!! Every spring I threaten hubby with digging a hole in his precious lawn and fashioning a BBQ pit.

PS, we make the BBQ sauce from that ep regularly, to great compliments from guests. Maybe it takes a Brit to make something so American, but I find his version with its herbs and orange zest is quite different from the usual ketchup, sugar and smoky flavour. Couldn't find it on his website, but it's in the Jamie at Home book. Lots of ingredients, but fun to make if you are planning to have a bunch of people over for BBQ.

vCash
    I know!! Every spring I threaten hubby with digging a hole in his precious lawn and fashioning a BBQ pit.

PS, we make the BBQ sauce from that ep regularly, to great compliments from guests. Maybe it takes a Brit to make something so American, but I find his version with its herbs and orange zest is quite different from the usual ketchup, sugar and smoky flavour. Couldn't find it on his website, but it's in the Jamie at Home book. Lots of ingredients, but fun to make if you are planning to have a bunch of people over for BBQ.
    Jamie's amazing. Once I got used to his unorthodox style - sometimes he cooks in lap almost - he's very talented and innovative. I attempted his dauphinoise once - it didn't come out the way I wanted, but I am still impressed by him. He takes the simplest ingredients and does great things with them. I also feel that way about Chuck Hughes, although his food isn't as ambitious as Oliver's.

vCash
    Jamie's amazing. Once I got used to his unorthodox style - sometimes he cooks in lap almost - he's very talented and innovative. I attempted his dauphinoise once - it didn't come out the way I wanted, but I am still impressed by him. He takes the simplest ingredients and does great things with them. I also feel that way about Chuck Hughes, although his food isn't as ambitious as Oliver's.
    Jamie is fabulous. I've made more of his recipes than I can count and I've never been disappointed. Everything is always fresh and tasty. I love the way he works flavours together.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Habs View Post
    Jamie is fabulous. I've made more of his recipes than I can count and I've never been disappointed. Everything is always fresh and tasty. I love the way he works flavours together.
    Ditto. One of the things we often say in our kitchen is "don't question Jamie" because his recipes always turn out and we love them. Sometimes a tad heavy handed on the garlic, rosemary and chilies, but that's a chef for you.

We love Jamie at Home in particular, and also Jamie Does (Sweden, Spain, France, Italy and Morocco), and Jamie's America. Have several others as well, but those the ones we turn to again and again.

Seems like such a good guy too - not sure if I've told this story before, but a few years back someone I know was working a book signing with him. When she asked him to sign her book, he asked first if he could write something cheeky, and then when she got home, found that he had written "thanks for the great shag!"

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    My first poached egg was a semi success! My stove top simply will not come down fast enough in temp so I had to keep moving the pot off the heat. It just came right back up to a boil even if I had the heat down on low. That could also be because of the pot I am using but I am not patient enough to try this all over again with a different pot. Either way, I had a poached egg in the end with a perfectly runny yolk! There was a lot of bits and pieces of the white left in the pot that would break off as the water kept coming back to a boil but you wouldn't know a thing looking at the finished egg. Can't wait to make this tonight. I was going to top the asparagus soup with the egg and crab but since I bought minced crab meat and not lump, I think I will just put the crab in the soup and top with the egg only.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    Hi Brian, my mom taught me to baste the cooking poached egg. It helps the top to cook. I find I get those runny strands if the water is not hot enough. Yes, white vinegar is your friend...add a couple of tablespoons.
    "awwww....shades of Janet Lynn" - Dick Button on anyone who makes more than one mistake in their program.

vCash

Jenny, my hubby went to a friend's this week and Sam's club apparently has a self contained box that one can submerge into the ground and put coals on the top to roast a pig or whatever. I'll try to do some more research...
    "awwww....shades of Janet Lynn" - Dick Button on anyone who makes more than one mistake in their program.

vCash
    It can be challenging to cook on an electric stove sometimes. Especially when I bake.
    For me, an electric oven is okay for baking cakes and cookies, but I really don't like the stove part. I feel like stuff doesn't cook the way it should, or that it takes longer. I also don't like judging medium-high, etc., by a simple turn of the knob. I like to see the flame. I believe I have a gas line there, so if this thing ever goes kaput I will most likely buy a gas range. I would miss the electric oven though.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatemommy View Post
    Hi Brian, my mom taught me to baste the cooking poached egg. It helps the top to cook. I find I get those runny strands if the water is not hot enough. Yes, white vinegar is your friend...add a couple of tablespoons.
    Can you explain what you mean? I do have one question. I cooked my egg in a rather large pot with a lot of water and the egg basically sank. Is that normal? In the videos I saw the egg stayed floating near the top. It didn't seem to make one bit of difference, though. However, with the egg completely submerged I don't know if there is any need to baste the top of the egg. If I am understanding what you mean when you say baste.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    My first poached egg was a semi success! My stove top simply will not come down fast enough in temp so I had to keep moving the pot off the heat. It just came right back up to a boil even if I had the heat down on low. That could also be because of the pot I am using but I am not patient enough to try this all over again with a different pot. Either way, I had a poached egg in the end with a perfectly runny yolk! There was a lot of bits and pieces of the white left in the pot that would break off as the water kept coming back to a boil but you wouldn't know a thing looking at the finished egg. Can't wait to make this tonight. I was going to top the asparagus soup with the egg and crab but since I bought minced crab meat and not lump, I think I will just put the crab in the soup and top with the egg only.
    Brian, that soup sounds delicious! What is the recipe?

vCash
    I actually haven't decided on a final recipe yet. I have been looking at a bunch online. The gist of it is that I will sautee some onions and garlic in butter and throw in my asparagus stalks cut into inch pieces (I will cut off the tips and set aside). I will then cover with about 4 or so cups of chicken stock and let that simmer for about 30 minutes or until the asparagus is very tender. The you puree it in batches in a blender. I will just use my immersion blender. After it is pureed I will throw in my crab meat to heat that through and at the very end I will finish with some cream. Of course you can season as you like, I plan on adding just a very tiny bit of crab boil for some kick. I will take the asparagus tips and blanch them before I poach my eggs and those will be garnish as well. I will probably blanch them in the same water I will poach my eggs in, maybe it will infuse a little of the flavor into the egg.
    -Brian

vCash
    I actually haven't decided on a final recipe yet. I have been looking at a bunch online. The gist of it is that I will sautee some onions and garlic in butter and throw in my asparagus stalks cut into inch pieces (I will cut off the tips and set aside). I will then cover with about 4 or so cups of chicken stock and let that simmer for about 30 minutes or until the asparagus is very tender. The you puree it in batches in a blender. I will just use my immersion blender. After it is pureed I will throw in my crab meat to heat that through and at the very end I will finish with some cream. Of course you can season as you like, I plan on adding just a very tiny bit of crab boil for some kick. I will take the asparagus tips and blanch them before I poach my eggs and those will be garnish as well. I will probably blanch them in the same water I will poach my eggs in, maybe it will infuse a little of the flavor into the egg.
    Okay. At some point I have to try to make this. I have a regular blender, but have seen enough of Giada's shows to know how to use it properly when pureeing hot liquids .

Grooving!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Stefanie View Post
    I believe I have a gas line there, so if this thing ever goes kaput I will most likely buy a gas range. I would miss the electric oven though.
    That's my plan too. I can't bear to get rid of large appliances that still work. And that electric bas***d just keeps hanging in there!

vCash
    I think I'll make Chicken Cacciatore tonight.

vCash
    I opened up the crab meat and it really is minced. I thought it would at least have some bigger pieces but it is so finely minced it will all but disappear in the soup. Oh well, at least it will add some flavor.

If I had some bread crumbs I could make an easy little crab cake to top each bowl of soup with. I could go get that...hmmm
    -Brian

vCash
    I ruined my soup!!! x 10

It was so delicious. I had it made to the point where I could add in the crab and then the cream. I was going to just add in the crab and wait to add the cream last minute before my boyfriend got home. The crab smelled nasty to me but seafood generally does, IMO. I added it and now the entire pot REAKS and I simply can not even bring myself to taste it. I am literally gagging when I take the lid off. It was so so good before that fatal move. I am going to remake this tomorrow, I am determined. All I will need is to buy 3 more bunches of asparagus, 1 carton of chicken stock and an onion. I have everything else, so that is good.
    -Brian

vCash
    I ruined my soup!!! x 10

It was so delicious. I had it made to the point where I could add in the crab and then the cream. I was going to just add in the crab and wait to add the cream last minute before my boyfriend got home. The crab smelled nasty to me but seafood generally does, IMO. I added it and now the entire pot REAKS and I simply can not even bring myself to taste it. I am literally gagging when I take the lid off. It was so so good before that fatal move. I am going to remake this tomorrow, I am determined. All I will need is to buy 3 more bunches of asparagus, 1 carton of chicken stock and an onion. I have everything else, so that is good.
    ((((((((((((((((Brian)))))))))))))))))))
    Was the crab not fresh?
    I made the mistake of buying that pre-cooked canned crab and not putting it in the fridge right away, and it spoiled.

Page 41 of 51 FirstFirst ... 313940414243 ... LastLast