Page 1 of 51 12311 ... LastLast

vCash

Recipes thread (continued)

Rex, the last thread seems to be closed, so I will answer you here.

I fell in love with the raspberry sauce; the only other frozen fruit I use is cranberry. Around this time of year when cranberries start showing up in the market, I buy bags and bags of them and throw them in the freezer. That way I can make cranberry upside down cake and cranberry sauce and cranberry sundae sauce for ice cream any time I want. Otherwise I am strictly a fresh fruit girl, with an occasional can or 2 in there for those emergencies when I'm sick in bed and can't get to the store.

For the red cabbage, I sauteed an onion and a diced unpeeled Granny Smith apple. Then I added sliced up red cabbage, a spoonful of raisins, salt, pepper, caraway seeds, red wine vinegar and water and covered the pot and let the cabbage cook. At the end I decided the vinegar taste was too strong so I mellowed it out with some sugar; next time I think I would also add the caraway seeds later in the cooking process.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by emason View Post
    I fell in love with the raspberry sauce
    Recipe please!

And any apple crisp recipes, anyone? I'm going apple picking next week, plus I'll be baking an apple crisp this weekend, so I'm up to trying anything! What kind of apples are best?

vCash
    Rex, the last thread seems to be closed, so I will answer you here.

I fell in love with the raspberry sauce; the only other frozen fruit I use is cranberry. Around this time of year when cranberries start showing up in the market, I buy bags and bags of them and throw them in the freezer. That way I can make cranberry upside down cake and cranberry sauce and cranberry sundae sauce for ice cream any time I want. Otherwise I am strictly a fresh fruit girl, with an occasional can or 2 in there for those emergencies when I'm sick in bed and can't get to the store.

For the red cabbage, I sauteed an onion and a diced unpeeled Granny Smith apple. Then I added sliced up red cabbage, a spoonful of raisins, salt, pepper, caraway seeds, red wine vinegar and water and covered the pot and let the cabbage cook. At the end I decided the vinegar taste was too strong so I mellowed it out with some sugar; next time I think I would also add the caraway seeds later in the cooking process.
    I'm dying to make cranberry sauce from scratch this fall. I don't even know what regular cranberry sauce looks like, other than what I've seen on TV . Everywhere I've been, I have eaten the canned stuff.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex View Post
    I'm dying to make cranberry sauce from scratch this fall. I don't even know what regular cranberry sauce looks like, other than what I've seen on TV . Everywhere I've been, I have eaten the canned stuff.
    Actually, what I make is the spiced cranberry jelly on page 282 of the Fannie Farmer Cookbook. If you have that cookbook you can look it up; if not, let me know and I will post it here.

vCash
    Actually, what I make is the spiced cranberry jelly on page 282 of the Fannie Farmer Cookbook. If you have that cookbook you can look it up; if not, let me know and I will post it here.
    Oh, do post it, please.

Two places! Atlanta suburbs and in the North Georgia Mountains
    vCash
    Here's a Wine Cake that is incredible:

Spray the inside of a bundt pan with Pam and don't flour it! Heat oven to 350.

Toast 1/2 cup of pecans in the oven for 5 minutes while the oven warms. Don't let them burn.

In a mixer combine:

1 box of white cake mix
    1 small box of vanilla pudding
    4 eggs
    1/4 cup of white sugar
    1/4 cup of brown sugar
    1/4 cup dry white wine
    3/4 cup of water
    3/4 cup of vegetable oil
    the toasted pecans

Pour in to pan and cook for 45-60 minutes depending on your oven.

Right before it comes out, mix together:

1 stick of butter
    1 cup of white sugar
    1/4 cup of the wine

Bring to a boil for one minute.

Take the cake from the oven and do not take it out of the bundt pan. Let it sit as you pour the melted butter/ssugar/wine sauce slowly over it. Make sure to let it go down the sides and all over the top. Let it sit for about 30 minutes as the cake absorbs the juice.

Fabulous!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by altai_rose View Post
    Recipe please!
    Raspberry Sauce:

2 12-ounce bags of frozen raspberries, no sugar added
    2 teaspoons of freshly squeezed lemon juice
    2/3 cup sugar

In a strainer suspended over a deep bowl thaw the raspberries completely. This will take several hours. Press the berries to force out all the juice; there should be 1 cup.

In a saucepan (or in a microwave on high power) boil the juice until reduced to 1/4 cup. Pour into lightly oiled heatproof cup.

Puree the raspberries and sieve them with a food mill fitted with the fine disc or use a fine strainer to remove all seeds. You should have 1 liquid cup puree. Stir in the raspberry syrup and lemon juice. To make a lightly sweetened sauce measure again. There should be 1 1/3 liquid cups; if you have less add less sugar. The correct amount of sugar is 1/2 the volume of the puree. Stir until the sugar dissolves.

It is a bit of work, but boy is it good.

vCash
    Spiced Cranberry Jelly:

(1) 12-ounce bag fresh cranberries 1+1/2 cups sugar salt 2-inch stick cinnamon

3 whole cloves 3 allspice berries

Wash cranberries, bring 1+1/2 cups water to a boil, add cranberries and spices and boil for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally to keep from burning, especially at the end. Put the berries through a strainer or a food mill. Remove any whole spices remaining. Return cranberries to the pot and cook over low heat for 3 minutes, stirring frequently. Add the sugar and a pinch of salt and cook 2 minutes more. Pour into a bowl and chill.

vCash
    Spiced Cranberry Jelly:

(1) 12-ounce bag fresh cranberries 1+1/2 cups sugar salt 2-inch stick cinnamon

3 whole cloves 3 allspice berries

Wash cranberries, bring 1+1/2 cups water to a boil, add cranberries and spices and boil for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally to keep from burning, especially at the end. Put the berries through a strainer or a food mill. Remove any whole spices remaining. Return cranberries to the pot and cook over low heat for 3 minutes, stirring frequently. Add the sugar and a pinch of salt and cook 2 minutes more. Pour into a bowl and chill.
    Thanks - I've copied and pasted this....

vCash
    I like this because of the spices added; they give a nice undertone to the jelly. I usually do not boil for the whole 20 minutes; the cranberries cook and start popping much sooner than that. The less you boil, the more you get sauce; the longer you boil the more it sets into a jelly when it cools. I think that has something to do with the pectin in the fruit and how long the pectin cooks. I like this either way, soupy like a sauce or firmer like a jelly.

vCash
    I like this because of the spices added; they give a nice undertone to the jelly. I usually do not boil for the whole 20 minutes; the cranberries cook and start popping much sooner than that. The less you boil, the more you get sauce; the longer you boil the more it sets into a jelly when it cools. I think that has something to do with the pectin in the fruit and how long the pectin cooks. I like this either way, soupy like a sauce or firmer like a jelly.
    Ahhhh. So is that why it's so gelatinous in canned form?

I have to admit, on a turkey/stuffing sandwich, it is excellent.

vCash
    I made roasted veggies last night. I don't know why this never occurred to me before. I cut up some potatoes into smallish wedges, cut up some green and red peppers and cut a yellow onion into wedges. Tossed it all with some olive oil (3 tbsp) with some rosemary and about 2 tsp minced garlic. Put it all in a pan, sprinkled a little parmesan cheese on top, and put it in the oven at 400 degrees for about an hour. Wow, it was good!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sk8pics View Post
    I made roasted veggies last night. I don't know why this never occurred to me before. I cut up some potatoes into smallish wedges, cut up some green and red peppers and cut a yellow onion into wedges. Tossed it all with some olive oil (3 tbsp) with some rosemary and about 2 tsp minced garlic. Put it all in a pan, sprinkled a little parmesan cheese on top, and put it in the oven at 400 degrees for about an hour. Wow, it was good!

This sounds wonderful; the next time I have a good assortment of veggies around, I will try this.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex View Post
    Ahhhh. So is that why it's so gelatinous in canned form?

I have to admit, on a turkey/stuffing sandwich, it is excellent.
    I just Googled 'cranberry', and as I thought, they are high in pectin, so yes, that is why the sauce in the can is so gelatinous. As I said before, if you want a more sauce-like texture, then cook the cranberries for a shorter amount of time.

vCash
    This sounds wonderful; the next time I have a good assortment of veggies around, I will try this.
    I started doing this several years ago after seeing Ina Garten do it on the Barefoot Contessa. Some of the things that she does absolutely make my stomach roll (i.e. pats of butter in the middle of ground beef patties to grill hamburgers), but she is quite clever about other things. I roast everything from potatoes to brussel sprouts to zuccini to squash using the same method that you mention and it turns out delicious every time. It sure as hell beats boiling!!!
    The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are--Joseph Campbell

Duck Hunter
    vCash
    I roast my potatoes all the time and I tried roasting broccoli once and it didn't work at all haha. Turned in to a big burnt mess. I'd love to try roasting asparagus one night but the broccoli incident has scared me away from it

Two places! Atlanta suburbs and in the North Georgia Mountains
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FiveRinger View Post
    I started doing this several years ago after seeing Ina Garten do it on the Barefoot Contessa. Some of the things that she does absolutely make my stomach roll (i.e. pats of butter in the middle of ground beef patties to grill hamburgers), but she is quite clever about other things. I roast everything from potatoes to brussel sprouts to zuccini to squash using the same method that you mention and it turns out delicious every time. It sure as hell beats boiling!!!
    OMG, pats of butter on grilled hamburger patties make me lustful with decadent fattening hunger pains. Sorry....that sounds like a forbidden food I would scarf up in one second. But probably never will get the chance....

Caulkhead forever
    vCash
    I like to make a roasted vegetable and bulghur wheat salad. I roast a mixture of shallots, red and yellow peppers, courgettes (zucchini) and whatever else I have around or looks good in the shop (carrots, aubergine (eggplant, which is one where I actually like the American name better!), sometimes sweet potato are the most common additions). The bulghur wheat I usually make up just plain but sometimes with vegetable stock, and sometimes mix in chopped basil at the end if I have it. I eat some of the bulghur wheat and vegetables warm for my dinner that day, and pile the rest all together into a bowl to go in the fridge. That then makes another two or three days of lunches, or I've also had it as my dinner again with smoked mackerel .

If I eat junk it's generally because it's a day when I'm not up to making something sensible, so I like to find ways like this of making the good stuff available as easily as possible!

Oh, and in summer it's a great dish to take to a barbecue, too
    I am too long away from water;
    I have a need of water near.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by altai_rose View Post
    Recipe please!

And any apple crisp recipes, anyone? I'm going apple picking next week, plus I'll be baking an apple crisp this weekend, so I'm up to trying anything! What kind of apples are best?
    I like macintosh the best for apple crisp.

my recipe is super simple
    1 cup flour
    2 cups rolled oats
    1 cup brown sugar
    1/4 cup unsalted butter melted (or 1/2 cup- check consistency and add more if needed)

cinnamon to taste and sprinkle with a little bit more brown sugar in layers in between apples. I use about 8 medium-size apples for mine.

I bake it in a corningware dish for about 25 minutes or until it is bubbling and browned on top.
    ~I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it.~ (Charles R. Swindoll)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bobalina77 View Post
    I roast my potatoes all the time and I tried roasting broccoli once and it didn't work at all haha. Turned in to a big burnt mess. I'd love to try roasting asparagus one night but the broccoli incident has scared me away from it
    I read putting a big pan full of water under the sheet to roast veggies works well but have never tried that myself.
    ~I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it.~ (Charles R. Swindoll)

Page 1 of 51 12311 ... LastLast