Page 5 of 34 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueRidge View Post
    Ok who saw Der Rosenkavalier yesterday? Whatcha think, knowledgeable folks?

Were there sound problems everywhere or was that our theater?
    Hubby and I thought it was great! Susan Graham and Renee Fleming were spectacular.

No sound problems in our theatre.

AYS's snark-sponge
    vCash
    Gorgeous Renee in her gorgeous costumes! ... and there was music too

My parents were kind of obsessed with why Strauss wrote the boy role for a woman, I think maybe they didn't like that. I get a total kick out of it myself..
    Congratulations 2014 World Ice Dance Champions Anna Cappellini & Luca Lanotte!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by agalisgv View Post
    We went to see Turandot, and it was just spectacular . Loved it, loved it, loved it!

We'll go see one more production, but haven't been able to decide which one.

Do post how you liked Tales of Hoffmann missBella--I'm curious to hear your thoughts.
    I'm so thrilled! Turandot is overflowing with pageantry and lush gorgeous sounds. Let me know what you decide to see next.

AYS's snark-sponge
    vCash
    Yowza, the Carmen HD was fabulous!

Am totally in love with Barbara Frittoli
    Congratulations 2014 World Ice Dance Champions Anna Cappellini & Luca Lanotte!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueRidge View Post
    My parents were kind of obsessed with why Strauss wrote the boy role for a woman, I think maybe they didn't like that. I get a total kick out of it myself..
    If your parents still want to know...

R. Strauss did not write the music for the role of Octavian with a female singer in mind, or any gender in mind.

Until the 19th century “gender” of opera singers was never an issue, the “voice" was.

Only towards the end of 19th century the rules were introduced that women should sing women’s and men should sing men’s parts.

Before it was all about “type of voice” which suites best the character.

In the 17th century young castrati often sang the female parts, and later in the 18th century young girls sang boys/men parts.

The character of Octavian is a teen-age boy, and the part was written with “boy-soprano” or “countertenor” voice in mind to highlight the age difference between the two middle-aged principal characters Baron Ochs (bass) & Marshallin (soprano), and the young boy Octavian.

"Boy-soprano" or "Countertenor" in men is VERY hard to find.

Since there was no “boy-soprano/countertenors” to sing the Octavian part, the decision was made to make it a “mezzo-soprano” and to cast a female singer.

The very same situation as why the male character Cherubino in sang by a woman in the Le Nozze di Figaro.

It had nothing to do with any social trends or statements. It was all about which “singing body”, regardless of gender, can sing in a proper type of voice.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    "Der Rosenkavalier" was written in 1909-10 and premiered in 1911.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Due to these Met's broadcasts, I want to increase my opera cd collection, however there are so many cds to choose from. I have a few "best of... cds" like Puccini, Pavarotti, Callas etc. albums, but I would like to get some cds that are the complete operas but I don't know which versions are the best.

Could you, please, recommend for me some of your favorite albums? And, also recommend some singer's specific albums, that are a must-hear?

Thank you, in advance!!

vCash
    The Magic Flute for children.

vCash
    Run, run, run to get Concerto Koln/Rene Jacobs' recording of Handel's Giulio Cesare with Jennifer Larmore, Barbara Schlick, Bernarda Fink and others.

vCash
    I was just sent this link and had to share. What would you do if you were at the market and an a opera broke out?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by reckless View Post
    I was just sent this link and had to share. What would you do if you were at the market and an a opera broke out?
    One of my former students was involved in a similar project in Pittsburgh - The Bust Stop Opera: http://www.busstopopera.com/press.html
    They tour with this project around the US, next performance is in NY, I think.
    Her descritpion of the first time they did it was hillarious - a guy was trying to chat her up when she got the cue to start and had to break into singing.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by reckless View Post
    This video certainly is making its internet rounds lately! I'd be thrilled to witness any carefully prepared "impromptu" staging, whether an opera or any of the ImprovEverywhere troupe sketches.

Keeping this on the subject - here's a recent article about Swiss TV project about bringing opera to the masses. (there are video links to La Boheme and La Traviata)
    Last edited by SaSherka; 02-21-2010 at 12:37 AM.
    lurking and delurking

vCash
    I'm going to see Madame Butterfly in, oh...3 hours!

vCash
    La Traviata @ the Met with Angela Gheorghiu was possibly the highlight of the season!

Btw, wanted to share this link with fellow opera fans - www.operacast.com - which lists radio broadcasts from all over the world, neatly organized by day and time! Enjoy!

Also, if anyone wants to go see Armida @ the Met on May 1st with Renee Fleming: I have one ticket (and theoretically two more) I'd like to sell. The show is pretty much sold out, but my goal is to see that night's Carmen with Jonas Kauffmann (which is also sold out, but hoping for standing room tickets...)
    lurking and delurking

Demon Barber
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SaSherka View Post
    La Traviata @ the Met with Angela Gheorghiu was possibly the highlight of the season!
    I wouldn't know. She was out when I went Tuesday. #notbitter

Though I did thoroughly enjoy my first Traviata. Still wanted to see Gheorghiu though.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Village Idiot View Post
    I wouldn't know. She was out when I went Tuesday. #notbitter

Though I did thoroughly enjoy my first Traviata. Still wanted to see Gheorghiu though.
    Aww, too bad. She was in fine form a week ago (and pretty gracious with a few fans who stuck past midnight for an autograph =)) and on the broadcast today. You still have one last chance this Wednesday, standing room only though... Good chances of her showing up now that the international broadcast is behind her.
    lurking and delurking

vCash
    If there is anyone in Los Angeles who wants to see tomorrow's (Sunday's) matinee of The Stigmatized, I have an extra ticket. It's third row, dead center, and can be had for very cheap.

vCash
    Just checking in to see if any New Yorkers or other FSUers in town would like my Fam Circle Armida ticket to tomorrow's sold out 1PM Met show for face value? (will likely be selling it right before the show anyway)

Or if anyone would like to join me in a quest to get Carmen tickets for tomorrow night with Jonas Kauffmann?
    lurking and delurking

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    One of the great mezzo-sopranos of the 20th century, Giulietta Simionato, died seven days short of her 100th birthday.

Thanks to Mr. Padillo from the Opera-L list, here is a link to a clip on YouTube from a talk show which first airs an excerpt of a stage rehearsal of Mascagni's "Cavalleria Rusticana":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJEOtLpevs0

At about 10 seconds, that is a Level 10 face wipe.

In the scene, Simionato plays a teenager who is trying to get back the father of her child, sung here by Franco Corelli, the tenor heart-throb of the 50's-70's, who dumped her to become the boy-toy of someone else's wife. It doesn't work, and she's none too happy.

The second half of the footage is the talk show itself, and if the interview was aired in 2003, that meant she was 93 at the time

RIP, dear Simionato.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    My sons have seen The Magic Flute, Barber of Sevilla and "the sequel" of it, La Nozze di Figaro plus a couple of Finnish operas. The Magic Flute is really good for the children. I would also recommend beethoven´s Fidelio and Mozart´s other lighter operas.

Page 5 of 34 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast