Page 32 of 34 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    Isn't Shagimuratova wonderful? I heard her as Queen of the Night in San Francisco.
    She really was wonderful. Having seen Radvanovsky last spring in Tosca and this fall in Norma, I am a bit spoiled. (And Radvanovsky is doing a recital next year in LA, so I get to see her again.)

Quote Originally Posted by BlueRidge View Post
    that's great, reckless. I was not familiar with her. I see she will be singing Lucia at the Met next season. Hope to hear that on livestream or radio.

I'm off tomorrow for L'Elisir D'Amore by the Washington Opera. Stephen Costello and Ailyn Perez are getting good reviews.
    Definitely listen to Lucia from the Met. I'm hoping it is one of the HD. As for Costello and Perez, I saw them in La Boheme and enjoyed them. I'm just not sure they are as good as the hype they get. A lot of it seems to come from them being married. But L'Elisir is always fun.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Sadly, no Lucia in HD. I think they've only repeated greatest hits and/or superstars (Tosca, Carmen, Fleming and Netrebko in Onegin), and they already did the Zimmerman Lucia with Dessay

Costello and Perez get that married couple halo, especially after she's now won the Richard Tucker Award (with gala on PBS), too. She's also the first American of Hispanic descent to get the award, since they ignored Lisette Oropesa, and that got lots of press. American opera likes its Lear/Stewarts more than its Georghiu/Alagnas.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

AYS's snark-sponge
    vCash
    I enjoyed the L'Elisir D'Amore. It was quite a beautiful production and very sweet. Nice portrayals and singing though not outstanding.
    Congratulations 2014 World Ice Dance Champions Anna Cappellini & Luca Lanotte!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jollibee View Post
    I'm unfamiliar with Werther but might want to see the HD broadcast tomorrow. Has anyone seen Werther before? Is it good?
    I saw Werther last month, at Paris Bastille opera. Roberto Alagna was impressive, but I couldn't understand a word from the mezzo Soprano (had to watch the subtitles while she was singing in French)...
    And I went after a skating session, so obviously I fell asleep at times.

vCash
    I dont know if there are any more Wozzecks at the Met with Levine conducting, but it was quite wonderful. Even my hubby, who is fairly new to opera and NEVER listens to dissonant music, had no complaints. Levine loves difficult scores! <3

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Kristina Opalais (sp?) took over Mimi in today's Met in HD on 2.5 hours sleep after making her role debut as Butterfly last night. I guess the record is Juan Diego Flores, who was up the whole night while his wife gave birth before Me Comte d'Ory, but he didn't have to learn the staging that morning.

Tenor Vittorio Grigolo hit on host JDD at the end of their intermission interview.

You gotta love live theater.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Listening to snippets on the radio (I'm in and out of the room while working on various things). I missed the tenor incident, though.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

vCash
    Tenor Vittorio Grigolo hit on host JDD at the end of their intermission interview.
    Hilarious! Too bad I missed this

vCash
    I was very disappointed not to see my compatriot Anita Hartig (who had been receiving excellent reviews), but Opolais handled the circumstance amazingly. I didn't really like her as Vitellia in Mozart's "Clemenza di Tito" earlier this season (a Munich broadcast), but I think Puccini suits her voice, although her Mimi was a bit too "dark". Hope to catch a Met broadcast of her Butterfly.

Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818
    Can't blame the guy, she looked positively gorgeous.

vCash
    Heads up for anyone on the west coast. The LA Opera is hosting the Operalia finals in August. Tickets to the public will go on sale on Monday, with sales to subscribers beginning tonight. I've watched the competition streaming the past few years, so I'm very excited to see it live this year.

vCash
    I wish I could have seen this! Only the third singer to do an aria encore at the Met in 70 years -- wow.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Has anyone gone to see the "I Puritani" at the Met? I'm listening live on Sirius and wondering whether Lawrence Brownlee sounds as and live as he does over the airwaves.

vCash
    A musician friend of mine just gave me a rave review of Brownlee in general (not Puritani in particular) today. He likes him better than Florez. It was a little hard to believe but this friend has heard everyone.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    I'm with your musician friend. I have heard them both live, but Brownlee only in McCaw Hall in Seattle, which is a smaller theater, and in "Puritani" when he was younger.

vCash
    My friend hears him at the Met.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Lucky friend!

Joyce Di Donato tweeted a rehearsal photo of her, Luca Pisaroni, and Juan Diego Florez, so it's looking good for Florez for the last three La Cenerentolas, including the HD on 10 May and like no fairy tale ending for Camarena.

AYS's snark-sponge
    vCash
    I'll take Lawrence Brownlee of Juan Diego Florez who to me has a nasally sound I don't like. I've not seen either live, though. But I've been looking forward to the Saturday radio broadcast of I Puritani.
    Congratulations 2014 World Ice Dance Champions Anna Cappellini & Luca Lanotte!!!

vCash
    Don't think I've ever seen or heard Brownlee, but I have seen Florez, several times, and he was mostly excellent. I Puritani wasn't ringing my bells, so I didn't go to that, but I guess I can now confess that I went to the execrable Andrea Chenier.

Chenier: Alvarez must have read the opening night reviews and taken notes, because he was quite good the night I went. Other male lead, with difficult name I can't remember/spell/pronounce was as good as the reviews led me to believe he would be. Singer who did the blind grandmother (sorry, I pitched the program ages ago and don't remember her name) nearly stole the whole show and had the one moment of true poignancy in the whole night. This brings me to the conductor, Noseda, who had the orchestra drown out Alvarez and Racette in their two big duets; since this is the same conductor, IIRC, who drowned out Abdrazakov in Prince Igor, he gets the blame, not the singers. Production is boxy, stodgy and uninteresting.

This brings me to Racette, who in my book, was truly terrible. How anyone can be shrieky/shrill AND hooty at the same time is a mystery to me; she surely deserves a (booby) prize for this. She had absolutely no breath control whatsoever during her big Act III aria; it was one big sucking gasp for air after another. If I could hear all that noise in the back of the Balcony, it must have been truly godawful lower down. I will not be buying tickets to hear Racette in anything any time soon, I can tell you. YMMV.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Sorry about the Chenier. I stopped listening on Sirius during one of the live broadcasts and ignored the rest.

Do you know about the Metropolitan Opera Database? It's on the Met website and is located at:
    http://archives.metoperafamily.org/archives/frame.htm

Click "Key Word Search" or "Multi-Field Search" and type in a start date in MM/DD/YYYY format (for something like "Tosca," you'll get over 1100 results without narrowing it down). Having crappy hearing, especially for other languages, I use this all the time to understand who is singing and how to spell their names, if they are new to me.

vCash
    Lucky friend!

Joyce Di Donato tweeted a rehearsal photo of her, Luca Pisaroni, and Juan Diego Florez, so it's looking good for Florez for the last three La Cenerentolas, including the HD on 10 May and like no fairy tale ending for Camarena.
    I heard he had to leave for another engagement anyway. Bummer. I was really hoping to see him at the HD Live!

Page 32 of 34 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 LastLast