Page 31 of 34 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 ... LastLast
    AYS's snark-sponge
    vCash
    I saw Moby Dick last night at the Washington Opera. Wow! What a fantastic production. I really liked the opera; it was a great dramatization of the story. I really enjoyed the music. I felt the singing could have been a bit stronger at times. The orchestra was superb.

This is the first contemporary opera I've been to and I'm convinced: opera lives in the 21st century!
    Congratulations 2014 World Ice Dance Champions Anna Cappellini & Luca Lanotte!!!

vCash
    Thanks for the report, BlueRidge!

Just a heads-up for everyone who loved the Met's recent Eugene Onegin as much as I did: The DVD is out now! (Also the Blu-ray, I suppose. I always say "the DVD" because that's what I get.) Looks like it's cheapest at B&N.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/dvd-...an=44007351147
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

vCash
    So I've got tickets to Carmen -- my first Carmen! I'll have visions of skaters in my head all evening, I'm certain. BlueRidge, any chance you'll be there? It's Va. Opera at Center for the Arts.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club

AYS's snark-sponge
    vCash
    No not this time. I've wanted to go to see the VA opera though. I was interested in their Ariadne Auf Naxos in February but between weather and the Olympics, I didn't do it. But I've already seen they have La Traviata next season, I hope I can get to that one.

Great that you are going! I'll look forward to your report!
    Congratulations 2014 World Ice Dance Champions Anna Cappellini & Luca Lanotte!!!

vCash
    Some friends invited me to Ariadne, but I couldn't go.

I didn't know they're doing La Traviata next season. I'd like to get to that myself. Maybe we'll meet there!

AYS's snark-sponge
    vCash
    Their webpage at the moment only lists dates for Richmond and Norfolk right now. But the La Traviata is scheduled next March. They described it as a traditional staging which is what I'd like to see.

I'm going to the Live in HD Werther tomorrow but I just discovered I will not be able to get out of my neighborhood by car tomorrow due to streets being closed because of the Rock n Roll Marathon! Luckily, the opera is at Ballston, so I can take Metro.

vCash
    I'm unfamiliar with Werther but might want to see the HD broadcast tomorrow. Has anyone seen Werther before? Is it good?

Interesting interview with Jonas Kaufmann Part1, Part2

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Werther is very French, but with enough at least superficial resemblance to Wagner dramatically to have few set pieces that end, although Werther has a late aria that usually stops the show. It morphs, and there isn't even a musical pause between the last two acts.

Despite the update to the late 19th century, it feels like a very traditional production to me. I saw it live in February, and I loved Kaufmann, Koch, the baritone who sang Albert, and the conducting.

However, if you have a low tolerance for young poet melodrama, you may a lot.

ETA: YouTube is showing me advertisements to "Date Older Women!" Maybe I watched Patricia Racette's video a few too many times
    Last edited by kwanfan1818; 03-15-2014 at 04:29 AM.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

AYS's snark-sponge
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    ETA: YouTube is showing me advertisements to "Date Older Women!" Maybe I watched Patricia Racette's video a few too many times
    I'd date her (too bad she's taken ). She was today's live in HD host! I enjoyed that.

I was waffling on Werther because although I like the music the story is just too maudlin for me. But I wanted to see the singers and the production.

I did roll my eyes a few times. But Jonas Kaufman was as impressive as his reputation. I had some reservations about Sophie Koch's portrayal but her singing was quite beautiful. The production was pretty intriguing.

One of my biggest reasons for going was to see Lisette Oropesa, and she did not disappoint.

Werther has a particularly grim ending and close to the end I was thinking geez, I'm not exactly going to leave this in a cheerful mood. At that point the sound went out. After a collective "ooooh" from the audience, everyone sat silently watching the singers mouths and hearing nothing for several minutes. Then someone got the radio broadcast on whatever device they had and so we could hear that. Then just when the curtain came down the sound came back on with the Met audience applauding.

Although we missed some good singing I'm sure, it was probably a more uplifting way to get out of there.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueRidge View Post
    Then someone got the radio broadcast on whatever device they had and so we could hear that.
    Oh, nicely done, random audience member! I was listening to the radio broadcast myself and enjoyed it. But if I'd been actually watching the action, I probably would have rolled my eyes now and then too.

AYS's snark-sponge
    vCash
    Its a funny thing about Werther because its not a rolleyes opera like say Ernani. Having been there on the young, lost love, idiotic romantic belief rollercoaster, (thankfully not to the extreme of Werther), its actually pretty timeless. Rolling your eyes at Werther is like rolling your eyes at your own younger behavior and that of others you've known.

One of the best things during yesterday's Live in HD broadcast was that during intermission they showed Anita Hartig who will be Mimi in the La Boheme upcoming broadcast, rehearsing Mimi's act one aria. Wow, just wow. La Boheme music makes me cry because it reminds me of my mother. I've been on the fence about going to it because I'm afraid I'd start sobbing during the most beautiful parts. I stopped just short of that listening to her singing yesterday. I realized I can listen on the radio so I think I'll stay home.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    While I'm sure nearly everyone has loved and lost, not everyone has been that publicly , threatens to kill themselves, and then does it.

None of them were convincingly that young -- it doesn't help that Kaufmann has such a lusciously dark sound and such mature and sophisticated styling -- and it came across to me as a gorgeously sung but uber melodrama about adults.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

AYS's snark-sponge
    vCash
    That was a big problem for me with Sophie Koch, she didn't come off young at all.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    She was supposed to be an old soul, but Lisette Oropesa seemed more Charlotte's age, but with the wrong voice type.

AYS's snark-sponge
    vCash
    I just renewed my WNO subscription for next season.

I'm pretty excited about the season's productions:

Florencia in the Amazon
    Company premiere starring Christine Goerke

La bohème
    Brand-new WNO production of Puccini's masterpiece

Dialogues of the Carmelites
    Company premiere directed by Francesca Zambello

The Flying Dutchman
    WNO revival starring Eric Owens in his staged role debut

Cinderella
    Family-friendly production starring Isabel Leonard
    Dialogues of the Carmelites has Dolora Zajick.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Oh, Florencia played in Seattle twice. I saw it the first time, and was traveling for work the second, or I wouldn't have missed it. The score was lovely, and the composer died too young.

That sounds like a terrific season -- Eric Owens as Dutchman , plus Jay Hunter Morris, Zajick in Carmelites -- it's a wonderful opera, but it's not a happy one, but Zambello is directing, and I'm sure she'll have an interesting take on it -- and the Rossini Cinderella with Leonard should be terrific.

vCash
    I saw an incredible production of Lucia di Lammermoor yesterday at the LA Opera with Albina Shagimuratova in the title role. She was spectacular, drawing a standing ovation at the end of the mad scene. The rest of the cast was also excellent, particularly Stephen Powell as Enrico. Lucia happens to be a personal favorite. I took a friend, who had never been to an opera before and had to warn him at the end that not all operas are nearly as good.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Isn't Shagimuratova wonderful? I heard her as Queen of the Night in San Francisco.

AYS's snark-sponge
    vCash
    that's great, reckless. I was not familiar with her. I see she will be singing Lucia at the Met next season. Hope to hear that on livestream or radio.

I'm off tomorrow for L'Elisir D'Amore by the Washington Opera. Stephen Costello and Ailyn Perez are getting good reviews.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueRidge View Post
    I'm off tomorrow for L'Elisir D'Amore by the Washington Opera. Stephen Costello and Ailyn Perez are getting good reviews.
    Oh, I wish I could get to that. Enjoy!

Page 31 of 34 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 ... LastLast