Page 30 of 34 FirstFirst ... 202829303132 ... LastLast

vCash
    Any NYCers going to Met Opera Prince Igor or Rusalka this weekend? Or otherwise want to meet at some point?
    If you're on the fence, the least you can do is play the $25 weekend lottery
    lurking and delurking

AYS's snark-sponge
    vCash
    Keeping kwanfan1818's post above in mind...

Met announced its 2014-15 season today: http://www.metoperafamily.org/metope...onannouncement

The Met’s 2014-15 Season Will Feature 26 Operas,
    Including Three Met Premieres,
    In Six New Productions and 18 Revivals

The season includes the first-ever Met performances of
    John Adams’s The Death of Klinghoffer,
    Rossini’s La Donna del Lago, and Tchaikovsky’s Iolanta

Met Music Director James Levine leads six operas this season,
    including the opening night new production of
    Mozart’s Le Nozze di Figaro, directed by Richard Eyre,
    premiering on September 22

On New Year’s Eve, Susan Stroman makes her Met debut directing a
    new production of Lehár’s The Merry Widow,
    with Renée Fleming in the title role and Andrew Davis conducting

Two double bills of one-act operas receive new productions this season:
    Iolanta, with Anna Netrebko in the title role, and
    Bartók’s Duke Bluebeard’s Castle, conducted by Valery Gergiev and
    directed by Mariusz Treliński, premieres January 26, 2015

Mascagni’s Cavalleria Rusticana and Leoncavallo’s Pagliacci,
    conducted by Met Principal Conductor Fabio Luisi and
    directed by David McVicar, receives its first new
    Met production in 45 years on April 14, 2015

The ninth season of The Met: Live in HD will feature 10 live transmissions,
    beginning October 11 with Verdi’s Macbeth, starring Anna Netrebko as Lady Macbeth
    Congratulations 2014 World Ice Dance Champions Anna Cappellini & Luca Lanotte!!!

vCash
    Ooh, thanks for posting. Several things call to me.

I snuck off to Prince Igor on Monday night. Sorry fans, but it was Prince Dreadful. More than that I shall not say.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by emason View Post
    I snuck off to Prince Igor on Monday night. Sorry fans, but it was Prince Dreadful. More than that I shall not say.
    Really? Feb 6 broadcast sounded good and I saw excellent reviews, especially about music making.

I am not really excited about Met's new season. Lots of operas fall into "could try and catch this or that to expand opera knowledge".

vCash
    I just got the brochure. The only thing immediately calling to me is Meistersinger. Levine + Wagner = magic. We will probably go to Figaro too and maybe La Donna del Lago. We are having to trim our sails too. But if anyone in the area has never seen Ferruccio Furlanetto, hie thee to see him in Don Carlo! To me he is the greatest living singer and King Philip is probably his greatest role. Ella giammai m'amo... overwhelming every time. (i must have seen him do it five times over the years.)

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Macbeth, but no Lady Macbeth of Mtsensk I may go to half next season, which is disappointing.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    I would love to see that Merry Widow. I'm a Susan Stroman fan from way back. Wonder if it'll end up Live in HD.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

AYS's snark-sponge
    vCash
    Yes. Here is the list for Live in HD:

The HD season opens on October 11 with Macbeth and continues with Le Nozze di Figaro (October 18), Carmen (November 1), The Death of Klinghoffer (November 15), Die Meistersinger von Nürnberg (December 13), The Merry Widow (January 17), Les Contes d’Hoffmann (January 31), Iolanta and Duke Bluebeard’s Castle (February 14), La Donna del Lago (March 14), and Cavalleria Rusticana and Pagliacci (April 25).
    Congratulations 2014 World Ice Dance Champions Anna Cappellini & Luca Lanotte!!!

vCash
    Oh, I missed that! Thanks!
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Right now, Bayerische Staatsoper is streaming Mozart's "La Clemenza di Tito" from here, free with no geoblock:

http://streaming.staatsoper.de/

Musikalische Leitung / Conductor Kirill Petrenko
    Inszenierung / Director Jan Bosse
    Bühne / Set Stéphane Laimé
    Kostüme / Costumes Victoria Behr
    Licht / Lighting Ingo Bracke
    Video Bibi Abel
    Produktionsdramaturgie / Dramaturgy Miron Hakenbeck
    Chor / Chorus Sören Eckhoff

Tito Vespasiano Toby Spence
    Vitellia Kristine Opolais
    Sesto Tara Erraught
    Servilia Hanna-Elisabeth Müller
    Annio Angela Brower
    Publio Tareq Nazmi

Bayerisches Staatsorchester
    Chor der Bayerischen Staatsoper / Chorus of the Bayerische Staatsoper

Toby Spense, who sings Tito, just gave a brief hello in English. I never knew he was a ginger.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    So the NYC "Move fast, or get out of the way" turns out to be a myth, because every third person on the street during rush hour today was walking while texting. I'd be coming back to NYC for two decades, and most of that time, with a more west coast, patient attitude. I had the palm prints on my back to prove it, when I stopped jaywalking and stood waiting for the light. ("Do you want them to think you're a tourist?" my friends would say as they whacked me in the back trying to push me into the intersection. "I'm not a tourist: I'm a visitor" I would reply, to no avail.)

We, all of that stopped today: I had 2 hours 55 minutes to get from Newark Airport to the hotel to check in and dump my stuff and up to Carnegie Hall. No stupid couples behavior -- walking in the airport taking up 3/4 of a huge aisle between two people and their roller suitcases dragged along side of them -- or oblivious texting, or standing blocking the subway door, or riding their bicycle on the sidewalk -- which was already narrower because of snow drifts -- was going to get between me and Jonas Kauffmann.

He was divine, and his accompanist, Helmut Deutsch, who I first thought was going to flood us with pedal, is a genius of an accompanist. Rarely in my experience have a singer and accompanist been that integrated. Magic. If you're wherever they perform in the future, go. Give up something else if you have to, but go. It's not just the visuals, although the opera glasses were out in full force tonight, and I did notice, he mostly stood legs and heels together or occasionally in a modified third position when he sang

I also noticed during intermission a teenaged girl there with her dad, and I remembered that the first time I went to Carnegie Hall, it was with my dad to hear Pavaortti give a recital; it was my 16th birthday present.

AYS's snark-sponge
    vCash
    Ooh, thanks for posting. Several things call to me.

mmmmph. have to agree with emason.

vCash
    Can I ask whether it was the opera that was dreadful, or just the production?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyliefan View Post
    Can I ask whether it was the opera that was dreadful, or just the production?
    Here are my issues with the night I went:

1) I did not like the production, both physically and the fact that it emphasizes what a loser Prince Igor is. The staging during the eclipse was weird and I don't know if it was a lighting miscue or deliberate, but they go to all this trouble to create an atmospheric eclipse and then all of a sudden all these recessed lights in the set come on. Whether deliberate or a mistake, it just didn't work.

2) There were several times Abdrazakov could not be heard over the orchestra. His fault? The conductor's? The players' fault? Don't know, but it was problematic.

3) The Eastern European soprano and mezzo: they might have impeccable musicianship, but they also have a sharp, unpleasant quality to their voices. I just didn't like the sounds they produced.

For the first time ever, I left without staying for the curtain calls. I just wanted to flee the Met. What can I say? This represents my opinion of the night; another more musically knowledgeable might disagree.

AYS's snark-sponge
    vCash
    I saw the Live in HD of course. My issue was primarily with the production. Not to say I know anything about the opera, I just didn't enjoy what I saw. But I have to confess that I was extremely tired and when the first intermission came I left. I've never left a Live in HD before the end before but I just didn't feel there was anything compelling about the opera and the idea of sleeping in my warm bed was much more so.

That issue with the eclipse must be intentional as it happened yesterday too and it really destroyed the scene I thought.

I thought the use of b&w video did not enhance the storytelling.

I saw Abdrazakov live with the Washington Opera as Don Giovanni and didn't find him very convincing. His efforts to portray the deep psychological view of Igor seemed to amount to looking like he had a bad headache. I got really tired of this.

The scene in the field of hallucinogenic poppies just seemed disjointed and meaningless. Maybe it made more sense as a set up for what came later but it didn't make me want to find out.

I didn't have any issues with the singing but I wasn't particularly impressed with it either. If I hadn't been so tired I would have stayed just to hear the music.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    I'm so disappointed, because I've liked some of the director's other work. I heard part of Prince Igor on Sirius, and it didn't hook me in.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    I saw Werther this past Friday, and I don't think anyone will be disappointed by the HD version

After hearing him in recital and then in Werther live for the first times, I think Kauffmann is the greatest tenor I've ever heard live. My favorite tenors have skewed towards the already-dead-when-I-was-born side, although I was a toddler when Bjoerling died, and until now I've never heard one live, although Vinson Cole has come close.

AYS's snark-sponge
    vCash
    I was on the fence about Werther as I have three live opera outings this month already but then they had the preview before Prince Igor on Saturday and I ran home and got my ticket. Really looking forward to it!

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Last edited by kwanfan1818; 03-05-2014 at 03:38 AM.

AYS's snark-sponge
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post

Page 30 of 34 FirstFirst ... 202829303132 ... LastLast