Page 22 of 34 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Twitter:

Jeffrey Brown ‏@JeffreyBrown 36m
    An experiment in opera, using stories from local communities @HouGrandOpera from my recent visit http://to.pbs.org/14SZYLF

vCash
    I saw Sondra Radvanovsky as Tosca on Thursday night and it was a truly amazing performance. Her vissi d'arte was mesmerizing. There is a version of her singing it on YouTube from a Met production, but it doesn't come close to capturing the depth and power of her voice. The range of emotions she was able to convey were astonishing. You could hear gasps from the audience and the man behind me actually said, "oh my god." This must have been the fourth or fifth production of Tosca I've seen, and I was rather jaded about seeing "another Tosca," but she absolutely took my breath away. I can't remember an audience reacting to an aria like that in more than 15 years of being a subscriber. Placido Domingo was conducting and, while waiting for the applause to die down so Act II could continue, he began to laugh and then joined in the applause as well.

I now would really like to find a way to go to New York to see Radvanovsky do Norma in the fall. It also will be very interesting to see how people compare her and Meade, who is playing the role in two of the performances.

vCash
    As a follow-up to my last post, radio station KUSC will be airing a recording of the LA Opera's Tosca tomorrow at 1 pm EDT, 10 am PDT. The broadcast is available online at http://www.kusc.org/listenonline/.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Someone posted a link to this to Opera-L a few days ago:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=goGszRkbnTY
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash

SaSherka's operatic update

Wow, have I really not made an appearance in this thread since February?? My apologies! First of all, I have met IoanaC!
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueRidge View Post
    I saw two Washington Opera productions in the past two weeks.

The first was Norma with Angela Meade. I was pretty impressed with her. The audience went pretty wild for her. The duets with Meade and Dolora Zajick were really great. The Washington Post's critic had dissed the production but I liked it.
    <...>Plus I got an extra optional ticket for a concert performance of the NSO of Der Rosenkavalier with Renee Fleming! Wheeee!
    (yeah, this is from March) My parents were in DC and saw Norma too! How LUCKY are you to have Der Rosenkavalier with Fleming and the fab mezzo Sarah Connolly already! I wish I could fly to DC, but I am planning to see Natalie Dessay in Boston on the same day in her recital debut here. On the other hand, I am not sure I could sit through a concert performance of Der Rosenkavalier. Heck, I have yet to see the whole opera without fast-forwarding or dosing off.
    Quote Originally Posted by reckless View Post
    I now would really like to find a way to go to New York to see Radvanovsky do Norma in the fall. It also will be very interesting to see how people compare her and Meade, who is playing the role in two of the performances.
    I am planning to see the Meade/Barton Norma at the Met. I may be able to squeeze in a SondRad's one on Columbus Day as well, but that'll be a last-minute decision.

Quote Originally Posted by IoanaC View Post
    Hvorostovsky is great (except when his breathing gets too loud), but this is a bit cringe-worthy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=uUVNihiKq9E
    what was that!!!

Sooo... In my operatic news (since Feb!)
    Saw Rigoletto & Francesca da Rimini HDs. Really liked Zandonai's music and EMW.
    Saw Cosi fan Tutte in Boston (in English) with a faaabulous cast (incl Sir Thomas Allen)
    Saw another La Clemenza di Tito at BU opera and keep being impressed by the strength of school productions here in Boston!
    Thomas Hampson was in Boston for a quick (and poorly attended) recital with some string quartet.
    Watched the Glyndebourne Giulio Cesare on DVD (loooved it), skipped the MetHD. I mean, cmon - Sarah Connolly vs David Daniels?
    Saw Dialogues des Carmelites at the Met. Again, the music is fantastic and the whole cast was great. Racette, Leonard, Palmer.
    Embarked on my birthday Eurotrip. Saw Giulio Cesare with fantastic Brenda Rae at Frankfurt Opera and then opening night of La Fanciulla del West with Eva-Maria Westbroek. EMW was outstanding (and I still don't care for Puccini operas)
    Saw Tchaikovsky's Iolanta at Mikhailovsky Theatre in SPb
    Saw The Legend of the Invisible City of Kitezh and the Maiden Fevroniya at the Mariinsky theatre
    Popped over to London and saw my first opera at the Covent Garden - Rossini's La Donna Del Lago with an unbeatable cast.
    It was so good I went twice (ok, I had tickets all along =)) and finally met up with IoanaC and we fangirled like crazy

Came home and saw historically informed Handel's Almira at the Boston Early Music Festival.

THE END!

PS. I couldn't resist and bought a Met subscription. New Yorkers, you'll be seeing me quite a few times!
    PPS. Who wants to go to Glimmerglass festival and/or Santa Fe Opera this August? Oh, and I am going to hear Angela Meade at Caramoor this Saturday in Verdi's Les vêpres siciliennes.
    Last edited by SaSherka; 07-02-2013 at 04:21 AM.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SaSherka View Post
    On the other hand, I am not sure I could sit through a concert performance of Der Rosenkavalier. Heck, I have yet to see the whole opera without fast-forwarding or dosing off.
    I'm with you: the only times I've been able to get through the whole opera are when I've been silly enough to buy a ticket (and eagerly and impatiently wait for the children to show up). The Presentation of the Rose, the waltzes, and the final trio are gorgeous, but I find most of the rest of it painful.

I am planning to see the Meade/Barton Norma at the Met.
    What a bumper crop those 2007 Met Council Auditions turned out! Ryan Smith was booked for great stuff when he died, and Meade, Barton, Fabiano, and Shrader have already (in six years) mad wonderful careers and aren't near their primes, with at least Fabiano and Shrader not yet 30. Amber Wagner has gotten wonderful reviews, too, and since she's aiming for the Wagner/Strauss rep, she'd be expected to be a little behind her "classmates," but I'd expect her to catch up.

Thomas Hampson was in Boston for a quick (and poorly attended) recital with some string quartet.
    What did he sing?

Watched the Glyndebourne Giulio Cesare on DVD (loooved it), skipped the MetHD. I mean, cmon - Sarah Connolly vs David Daniels?
    Dumaux's' villain itself was worth the HD ticket, and I thought Dessay was delightful. I hope she realizes there are Western cities north of San Francisco when she books her concert tour.

Saw Dialogues des Carmelites at the Met. Again, the music is fantastic and the whole cast was great. Racette, Leonard, Palmer.
    I love that opera.

Embarked on my birthday Eurotrip. Saw Giulio Cesare with fantastic Brenda Rae at Frankfurt Opera and then opening night of La Fanciulla del West with Eva-Maria Westbroek. EMW was outstanding (and I still don't care for Puccini operas)
    I think she's one of the greatest sopranos singing today, and Minnie is one of her most reknowned roles.

Popped over to London and saw my first opera at the Covent Garden - Rossini's La Donna Del Lago with an unbeatable cast.
    It was so good I went twice (ok, I had tickets all along =)) and finally met up with IoanaC and we fangirled like crazy
    I envy you!!! I was fan-girling in spirit: the audio was on the BBC website for a week. I also love Colin Lee, so that was an extra treat.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    I'm with you: the only times I've been able to get through the whole opera are when I've been silly enough to buy a ticket (and eagerly and impatiently wait for the children to show up). The Presentation of the Rose, the waltzes, and the final trio are gorgeous, but I find most of the rest of it painful.
    I am sure I mentioned this before, but I had a (standing room) ticket to the Fleming/Graham Der Rosenkavalier at the Met on January 1st. I left before the 3rd act as I was exhausted from standing and from partying on the New Year's Eve. I think by now I've seen most of that production, just not in one sitting.

What a bumper crop those 2007 Met Council Auditions turned out! Ryan Smith was booked for great stuff when he died, and Meade, Barton, Fabiano, and Shrader have already (in six years) mad wonderful careers and aren't near their primes, with at least Fabiano and Shrader not yet 30. Amber Wagner has gotten wonderful reviews, too, and since she's aiming for the Wagner/Strauss rep, she'd be expected to be a little behind her "classmates," but I'd expect her to catch up.
    Not to diminish their individual talents, but I am pretty sure The Audition helped them in their careers too. I recall a number of '07 winners mention it in interviews. I am the most excited about Jamie Barton winning both Cardiff Singer of the World prizes!

What did [Thomas Hampson] sing?
    Full program:

Schubert: String Quartet No. 10 in E-flat Major, D. 87
    Webern: Langsamer Satz for String Quartet
    Mark Adamo: Aristotle for Voice and String Quartet
    Wolf: Italian Serenade for String Quartet
    Wolf: Selected Lieder for Voice and String Quartet

Dumaux's' villain itself was worth the HD ticket, and I thought Dessay was delightful. I hope she realizes there are Western cities north of San Francisco when she books her concert tour.
    Well, he was in the original cast on the DVD as well Dessay hasn't updated her concert schedule past October, so who knows? Maybe she does have a few concerts closer to you?

I envy you!!! I was fan-girling in spirit: the audio was on the BBC website for a week. I also love Colin Lee, so that was an extra treat.
    Hehe, yes, Ioana sent me the file. Thanks I was very excited to finally hear Daniela Barcellona live! I am even considering making a quick trip to NYC for Rossini's Stabat Mater on Aug 13 with her. (If I don't end up in Santa Fe ) She's singing a lot of big roles in Europe, but nothing this side of the Atlantic =(

vCash
    And I was fortunate enough to continue the fangirling session with JDD's June recital in Milan, which was absolutely superb and unforgettable. "Tanti Affetti" from La Donna del Lago mesmerized the audience, you could have heard a pin drop in La Scala. Obviously, they went completely wild at the end, almost wouldn't let her go off the stage.

Meeting SaSherka in London was indeed -worthy!! Hoping for a repeat next year, maybe at the Met?

vCash
    http://bigstory.ap.org/article/placi...spain-embolism

PLACIDO DOMINGO IN HOSPITAL IN SPAIN WITH EMBOLISM
    By CHRIS TALBOTT
    — Jul. 9 1:05 PM EDT

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) — Opera singer Placido Domingo is in the hospital after suffering a blockage in an artery of the lungs.

Domingo's representative says the 72-year-old is expected to make a full recovery but will have to miss several appearances scheduled for later this month. He was admitted to the hospital Monday in Madrid.

Doctors say the pulmonary embolism was caused by a blood clot.

The singer's representative, Nancy Seltzer, says doctors have asked the Spanish tenor and conductor to rest for three to four weeks, but that healing time varies. His return to the stage will depend on how quickly he regains his strength.

It's not the first time Domingo has faced a serious medical condition.

Domingo returned to the stage just 45 days after undergoing colon cancer surgery in 2010 and has maintained a vigorous schedule and displayed an uncommon vitality at an age when most stars have stepped away from the spotlight.

He is the most visible opera singer in the world and has performed more than 140 roles, expanding his repertoire to include baritone roles in the past half-decade. The Three Tenors member also recently was named the new goodwill ambassador for the U.N. Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization for his efforts in spreading classical music around the world.

Domingo has canceled his five performances in Daniel Catan's "Il Postino," which were to begin July 17 at the Teatro Real in Madrid, as well as an appearance on July 21 at Plaza Mayor.

vCash
    http://www.billboard.com/articles/ne...source=twitter

Placido Domingo ‘Feeling Much Better,’ Expected to Make Full Recovery

By Associated Press | July 11, 2013 5:43 AM EDT

Opera singer Placido Domingo says he expects his health to improve soon, after he was admitted to a Madrid hospital with a blockage in an artery of the lungs.

Domingo has canceled six performances this month in the Spanish capital while he undergoes treatment.

The Three Tenors member said in a post Wednesday on his Facebook page, "I will be feeling much better soon."

He thanked fans for their support and said, "The saddest part of it all is being in my own city and unable to perform for Madrid's public."

The singer's representative, Nancy Seltzer, said Tuesday the 72-year-old is expected to make a full recovery after resting for at least three weeks.

Doctors say the pulmonary embolism was caused by a blood clot.

vCash
    Wishing Domingo a complete recovery, and a rapid return to the stage.

vCash
    Twitter:

Billboard ‏@billboard 11 Jul
    Placido Domingo ‘Feeling Much Better,’ Expected to Make Full Recovery http://blbrd.co/1bqLabt

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Thomas Hampson just tweeted a great backstage photo of him and bass Ferruccio Furlanetto from a Royal Opera House performance of "Simon Boccanegra."

https://twitter.com/thomas_hampson/s...77051281137664

ETA: Eric Radford just tweeted a photo of him and Measha Bruggergosman from Canada Day:

https://twitter.com/Rad85E/status/356183214487900160
    Last edited by kwanfan1818; 07-14-2013 at 12:12 AM.

vCash
    Twitter:

Billboard ‏@billboard 6m Placido Domingo Discharged from Hospital, Eyeing Return to the Stage This August http://blbrd.co/17eYBrP

AYS's snark-sponge
    vCash
    Oh f*ck a d*ck, er, I mean congratulations to Elina for her second child on the way...

Mezzo Elīna Garanča, Pregnant With Second Child, Withdraws from 2013-14 Metropolitan Opera Engagements

I was totally looking forward to seeing her in the Live in HD Werther
    Congratulations 2014 World Ice Dance Champions Anna Cappellini & Luca Lanotte!!!

aka IceSkate98
    vCash
    No Opera on the agenda at The Strand Theatre this year, but I'm planning on seeing the Moscow Ballet's Great Russian Nutcracker on November 23rd. I didn't realize Bryan Adams was performing this Friday! So, I'm going to miss seeing him!
    Angie
    “I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” ~ Thomas A. Edison

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    I like Garanca a lot, but I've read and heard great things about Sophie Koch's Charlotte (and her Composer in "Ariadne auf Naxos", an opera I don't much like but which I'd see for her). Anyone whose inspiration is Christa Ludwig is fine by me.

AYS's snark-sponge
    vCash
    It doesn't matter who replaces Elina, they won't be Elina, and I want to see Elina!
    Congratulations 2014 World Ice Dance Champions Anna Cappellini & Luca Lanotte!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueRidge View Post
    It doesn't matter who replaces Elina, they won't be Elina, and I want to see Elina!
    Not I. I want to see Alice Coote.

AYS's snark-sponge
    vCash
    I'd actually like to see Alice Coote in Der Rosenkavalier myself. I look forward to the reports on that. I'm terribly disappointed not to get to see Elina in Werther in the Live in HD. I'm not all that enamoured of the opera, don't care about Jonas Kaufman and don't have extra $$$ to spare so that one is off my list, no offense to Sophie Koch who I do not know.

Page 22 of 34 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast