Page 20 of 32 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast
    AYS's snark-sponge
    vCash
    There are advantages to being in the second tier. I get a clear view of the whole stage.
    Congratulations 2014 World Ice Dance Champions Anna Cappellini & Luca Lanotte!!!

vCash
    Anyone got tickets for the HD broadcast of the Met's new Giulio Cesare? Last night was opening night and its siren call was too hard for me to resist; this is spite of the fact that I already have a ticket to see it in house on the 30th. IMHO Alice Coote is the best trouser mezzo out there at the moment; she inhabits every character totally and no two are the same. Her Sesto in this production is nothing like her Sesto in the previous version, and both are sensational. She absolutely hit it out of the park last night.

vCash
    I'll be watching it in HD on the 27th and I can't wait. How did Natalie Dessay sound? I saw the live broadcast of "Tales of Hoffmann" from Liceu a few weeks ago on Mezzo and she was excellent - hopefully last season's disastruous experience with "Traviata" is behind her.
    Can't wait to hear Alice Coote too. I wasn't really familiar with her before watching some clips from the "Cendrillon" production with Joyce DiDonato (which I hope to be able to see in Barcelona next January). Loved her, vocally and acting-wise. I'm sure she's going to kill "Svegliatevi nel core".
    I would have much preferred Sarah Connoly as Cesare instead of David Daniels, but...

Is it the same David McVicar production from Glyndebourne, or a modified version?

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    I'll be at the HD: it's one I've most been looking forward to.

Quote Originally Posted by BYTCH View Post
    I love those sets and costumes for the SFO Magic Flute!! Thank you for the link.
    You're very fortunate to have this production in DC. I think it played or will play in five cities total.

Quote Originally Posted by IoanaC View Post
    I would have much preferred Sarah Connoly as Cesare instead of David Daniels, but...
    Oh, yes.
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

vCash
    Have to agree with all those who wish for Sarah C. It's time for the Met to get another Caesar; I've only seen Jennifer Larmore or David Daniels in the role. I want to see/hear a really good mezzo in the role.

I thought Dessay was great, but I really am in as much no teknik about opera as I am about skating. This is the Glyndebourne production; how much of it the Met has or hasn't modified I don't know. I saw it 5 years ago when Chicago Lyric did it and this is pretty much what I remembered. You can tell the difference between DeNiese (Chicago Cleopatra and also Glyndebourne I think) and Dessay though; DeNiese is a true trained dancer whereas Dessay is more mimicking (sp?) dancing. However, vocally, I thought Dessay was great. I'm very prejudiced about this production though; I loved it from the first second of it in Chicago and loved it last night. I'm really interested to hear what everyone else thinks after all of you have seen it.

I just sent a friend off to BAM to see if there are any HD tickets left even though the broadcast is only 3 days before I see it again. Can you tell that this is my favorite opera?

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Did you get to see Sills and Treigle? I did once, but both were announced as with whatever flu was strangling NYC at the time, and while Sills was pretty fine, Treigle wasn't
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

AYS's snark-sponge
    vCash
    I've got my ticket for the Live in HD!
    Congratulations 2014 World Ice Dance Champions Anna Cappellini & Luca Lanotte!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    Did you get to see Sills and Treigle? I did once, but both were announced as with whatever flu was strangling NYC at the time, and while Sills was pretty fine, Treigle wasn't

No, she blushes in reply. I never saw Sills in anything, never mind Treigle. I am actually somewhat tone deaf and came to opera very late by way of ballet. At about my 25th Swan Lake or so I had a moment of epiphany - gee, the orchestra sounds slow and awful tonight; I've heard this sound so much better. It was then I knew my ear had gotten better and I could venture into the world of opera. My mother's first cousin was a world-famous bass-baritone; he got all the musical talent in the family. My mother and I got none.

ETA: I just read the Times review and I owe Dessay an apology; apparently she did train as a dancer when she was younger.
    Last edited by emason; 04-06-2013 at 01:53 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by emason View Post
    Have to agree with all those who wish for Sarah C. It's time for the Met to get another Caesar; I've only seen Jennifer Larmore or David Daniels in the role. I want to see/hear a really good mezzo in the role.

I thought Dessay was great, but I really am in as much no teknik about opera as I am about skating. This is the Glyndebourne production; how much of it the Met has or hasn't modified I don't know. I saw it 5 years ago when Chicago Lyric did it and this is pretty much what I remembered. You can tell the difference between DeNiese (Chicago Cleopatra and also Glyndebourne I think) and Dessay though; DeNiese is a true trained dancer whereas Dessay is more mimicking (sp?) dancing. However, vocally, I thought Dessay was great. I'm very prejudiced about this production though; I loved it from the first second of it in Chicago and loved it last night. I'm really interested to hear what everyone else thinks after all of you have seen it.

I just sent a friend off to BAM to see if there are any HD tickets left even though the broadcast is only 3 days before I see it again. Can you tell that this is my favorite opera?
    I saw it at Glyndebourne and loved it. I thought DeNiese was fabulous. Hope it translates to the stage of Met's size ( but it did very well in Chicago, so it should)
    Dessay is one of my very favorite singers- actresses... I wish I could see it.
    improving my ballad- like lines

vCash
    I thought DeNiese was fabulous also. I butted into a conversation between an usher and a standing room only regular to offer my 2 cents worth the other night. The usher was very vocal on the subject of DeNiese; cannot stand her and only thinks she got where she is today because of her pretty face. Not my opinion at all, although I did not like DeNiese in either The Marriage of Figaro or The Enchanted Island. I did, however, absolutely love her as Cleopatra.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    I just read that Dessay was ill and DeNiese sang in her place last night without any rehearsal:
    http://www.wqxr.org/#!/blogs/operavo...giulio-cesare/

vCash
    A friend of mine went last night and her word for DeNiese was STUPENDOUS. Said she dominated the opera in every way possible.

vCash
    I read the news on Twitter yesterday. Well, I kind of agree with the comments to that article: I have a hard time believing De Niese just stepped in after 6 years, like a walk in the park, into the role and the choreography. I'm glad it turned out well, but I think she had been prepared to replace Dessay in case of illness. I doubt Peter Gelb would have taken such a risk otherwise.
    I had checked the Met's website a few days ago and actually wondered if Natalie Dessay would be able to sustain so many performances (10-12?). Her voice sounds better, but it's still strained. Such a pity...

vCash
    It actually isn't that uncommon for replacements to be called in for key roles like that without rehearsing with the cast and orchestra. Angela Meade's big break in 2008 came when she stepped in for Sondra Radvanovsky in singing Elvira in Ernani at the Met. She was the cover for the role and had never rehearsed it at the Met. Recently, at the LA Opera, the lead soprano in The Flying Dutchman became ill shortly on opening night. The decision to replace her with her understudy came 12 minutes before curtain. The understudy had observed rehearsals and knew the score, but had never done a walk-through on the stage. (She also had never even been fitted for a wig, which was extremely noticeable in what was a very stylized production.)

Also, performers often come into productions mid-way through a run. For instance, in the same Flying Dutchman, the performer playing Erik became ill after the second performance, was replaced by the understudy for the third and fourth performances, and a third performer was brought in for the final two performances. I very seriously doubt that third performer would have done anything other than a very brief run-through of some orchestrations with the conductor, because there would have been no time to do so with the orchestra and cast. The orchestra shows up before the performance, warms up, and is out the door before the final bows are taken. And the cost of an additonal rehearsal is prohibitive if you would have to pay 40 musicians an extra couple of hours. Instead, operas bring in performers who already know the roles and can be expected to pick up simple staging on the fly.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by reckless View Post
    It actually isn't that uncommon for replacements to be called in for key roles like that without rehearsing with the cast and orchestra.
    Of course I'm aware of that. I might be absolutely wrong, but I just have a feeling the MET wouldn't have taken a risk like that. Not only wasn't De Niese the official understudy, but she hasn't sung the role in a while. Back in December, when Bryan Hymel replaced Giordani in "Les Troyens", basically over night, they had to call Susan Graham and the rest of the cast on Christmas Eve to rehearse, even if Hymel had recently sung the role of Aeneas in London. Just like Giulio Cesare, that was a complex production too.
    Again, I might be completely wrong... Anyway, I'm glad De Niese rose to the challenge and the result was excellent.

vCash
    I wonder about the rest of the run. Will Dessay sing on Friday, and, if not, then who?

I heard Alagna's first ever Met Cavaradossi a season or two ago when I forget who pulled out ill on the day of the performance. Gelb's story was that he tracked down Alagna in a cab on the way to lunch in Little Italy, but one does wonder.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    I mentioned that she hadn't had a rehearsal because in the article too which I linked, there was a photo/screen capture of her tweet:

Fear. Jumping head first into a running show without rehearsing w/ cast or orch. #iMustBeCrrrrrazy! May the gods be w me. & the force too
    Last edited by kwanfan1818; 04-11-2013 at 05:29 PM.

AYS's snark-sponge
    vCash
    If she had been in rehearsal, wouldn't there be an awful lot of people who could call this out?

vCash
    Seeing that this is about Carmen, I guess it could go anywhere on this board, but I decided that the opera thread was the best place.

http://www.seattleoperablog.com/p/ca...-facebook.html
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    "It's an art, not a sport."

Page 20 of 32 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast