Page 17 of 34 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast
    I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Joyce DiDonato is giving a master class at Juilliard on Friday, January 25 at 4pm EST. It will be streamed live by Juilliard:

http://www.juilliard.edu/live/index.php
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    Joyce DiDonato is giving a master class at Juilliard on Friday, January 25 at 4pm EST. It will be streamed live by Juilliard:

http://www.juilliard.edu/live/index.php
    I'd love to watch that, even though I'm not a singer, but I'll be at Europeans in Zagreb next week.

Can hardly wait to see/listen to her tomorrow in Maria Stuarda. I'm basically bursting with anticipation. I've stopped counting how many times I watched "Figlia impura di Bolena" on Youtube.
    Last edited by IoanaC; 01-18-2013 at 09:31 PM.

vCash
    So, how AWESOME was Maria Stuarda HD? Hmm? I knew it would come out great on screen and it made me get that much more into the opera. Also, Elza van der Heever was an equal Queen to JDD's. I missed that subtle acting when I saw it live. Joyce didn't hold back in any of her scenes! If you haven't yet, do read her excellent introspective on the role of Maria Stuarda on her website.
    I screen-grabbed part of the intermission interview with JDD

emason, I am planning to see Rigoletto on Feb 16 in-house! (which means I will not come to that Handel @ CH). Isabel Leonard will have a recital in Boston as well, but it's the day after I am in NYC for Parsifal, so not sure I'll make it back in time...

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SaSherka View Post
    So, how AWESOME was Maria Stuarda HD?

[QUOTE=SaSherka;3801841 Also, Elza van der Heever was an equal Queen to JDD's. [/quote]
    Love her. Love them both.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    So, how AWESOME was Maria Stuarda HD?
    OMG...
    JDD reduced at least half of the audience in the movie theater to tears (me included, ha). The other half were more dignified, but just as awed. Seriously now, the whole atmosphere was great, you could feel people's emotion. I loved that!

I went crazy last week and bought myself a ticket to her Paris recital, one of the last ones, as it was almost sold out. Can't wait to listen to her live! I would have prefered to see "La donna del lago" in London, but oh, the prices at Covent Garden... So, "Drama Queens" it is, February 8th!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IoanaC View Post
    OMG...
    Ditto!
    I went crazy last week and bought myself a ticket to her Paris recital, one of the last ones, as it was almost sold out. Can't wait to listen to her live! I would have prefered to see "La donna del lago" in London, but oh, the prices at Covent Garden... So, "Drama Queens" it is, February 8th!
    Are you in Paris? You're going to LOVE "Drama Queens"! I think my personal recital highlight was Madre Diletta (though it was hard to pick the best!). And, um, I may or may not have gotten 2 tickets to 2 performances of La Donna del Lago the moment tickets went on sale to the public last week (and cheap too!)

vCash
    Are you in Paris? You're going to LOVE "Drama Queens"! I think my personal recital highlight was Madre Diletta (though it was hard to pick the best!).
    No, I'm in Bucharest, so I travel once or twice a year to other places in Europe to get my "opera fix". Very often to Theatre des Champs Elysees in Paris, (where I'm going to see Joyce too) which has not only affordable tickets, but also a fabulous schedule of recitals and operas. I never know what to choose at the beginning of the season.
    "Madre Diletta" is one of my favourites from the CD. And "Da Torbida Procella".

And, um, I may or may not have gotten 2 tickets to 2 performances of La Donna del Lago the moment tickets went on sale to the public last week (and cheap too!)
    I think I've just turned green with jealousy. I checked on Friday, and all they had left were 150-200 pounds tickets... Next time I'll be more vigilent. She has to come to Europe next season too, right?

vCash
    No, I'm in Bucharest, so I travel once or twice a year to other places in Europe to get my "opera fix". Very often to Theatre des Champs Elysees in Paris, (where I'm going to see Joyce too) which has not only affordable tickets, but also a fabulous schedule of recitals and operas. I never know what to choose at the beginning of the season.
    "Madre Diletta" is one of my favourites from the CD. And "Da Torbida Procella".
    green with jealousy at you being within a few hours of so many major opera houses and Euro-based singers... One day I will see Bartoli & Kassarova, hopefully before they retire or turn to some obscure repertoire. And for Da Torbida Procella!

I think I've just turned green with jealousy. I checked on Friday, and all they had left were 150-200 pounds tickets... Next time I'll be more vigilent. She has to come to Europe next season too, right?
    Keep checking for returns. Although if you want to go really cheap, there are a few standing places available for a number of dates =)
    Last edited by SaSherka; 01-23-2013 at 01:02 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SaSherka
    One day I will see Bartoli & Kassarova, hopefully before they retire or turn to some obscure repertoire.
    I was one step away from seeing Bartoli at the Salzburg Festival last year. My friend and I were on the ticket waiting list, but we didn't get lucky in the end... I hope to see her live some day too, she's spectacular - but I much prefer JDD and her heart-melting voice right now.

vCash
    Keep checking for returns. Although if you want to go really cheap, there are a few standing places available for a number of dates =)
    YAY, I tried again and actually managed to get a ticket!! Not the greatest view, but I'll be there!

vCash
    YAY, I tried again and actually managed to get a ticket!! Not the greatest view, but I'll be there!
    What date?? I have tickets for May 23 & 27 (the cinema broadcast date)

vCash
    What date?? I have tickets for May 23 & 27 (the cinema broadcast date)
    I got May 27th too. Maybe we can meet there!
    There's a cinema in my city that broadcasts from Covent Garden, but it's usually taped. I'm not sure they have La Donna del Lago on the list.

vCash
    I got May 27th too. Maybe we can meet there!
    There's a cinema in my city that broadcasts from Covent Garden, but it's usually taped. I'm not sure they have La Donna del Lago on the list.
    Sweet! Now I just have to get plane tickets... Btw, JDD has a solo song recital in Zurich on May 25.
    PS. There are a couple cinemas nearby that show European operas and ballets, but the schedule hasn't been released for May and after yet.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    I'd love to watch that, even though I'm not a singer, but I'll be at Europeans in Zagreb next week.
    Most, if not all, of the Juilliard streamed shows are posted to their YouTube channel. I don't know how long it will take for them to put up the video, but if I find it, I'll post.

In the Q&A she just mentioned figure skating in the context of competitive mindset and how it could apply to singing.

Can hardly wait to see/listen to her tomorrow in Maria Stuarda. I'm basically bursting with anticipation. I've stopped counting how many times I watched "Figlia impura di Bolena" on Youtube.
    Have a wonderful time! She was incredible in the HD; in the house, it will be that much better

vCash
    Most, if not all, of the Juilliard streamed shows are posted to their YouTube channel. I don't know how long it will take for them to put up the video, but if I find it, I'll post.
    In the Q&A she just mentioned figure skating in the context of competitive mindset and how it could apply to singing.
    I managed to catch the second half of the masterclass (after the FD at Euros), but the internet connection at my hotel in Zagreb is so crappy... I would have loved to watch her interract with the students, they seemed to have so much fun! The only part that I could see without being frustrated by the continuous buffering was the final Q&A. She's so great to listen to - definitely not only at the opera!
    I really hope the whole masterclass gets uploaded on YouTube.
    About figure skating - I've heard her use this analogy before in interviews, and I think she's a FS fan! She mentioned how figure skaters take risks, that it's dangerous, but it's the only way ahead if you strive for perfection.

Have a wonderful time! She was incredible in the HD; in the house, it will be that much better
    Oh, I had written my post before the HD broadcast... Would have given anything to see Maria Stuarda in the house, but helas, I live an ocean and half of Europe away from New York... Even watching the HD, though, was an incredible experience. It's going to stay with me for a long time.
    Last edited by IoanaC; 01-26-2013 at 12:29 AM.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    I'm sorry, I read the dates wrong

I thought maybe you had traveled to NYC. The HD was fantastic. I hope they release this one on DVD.

vCash
    The HD was fantastic. I hope they release this one on DVD.
    They'd better!! Not releasing it is not an option.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    No one will knock Carlo Maria Giulini off my opera conductor pedestal, but if there were a Barihunks site for conductors, this one would be featured:

http://www.king5.com/news/local/Risi...188447781.html

vCash

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    At 8pm PST tonight, (in 13 minutes), KDFC is broadcasting a performance of Joyce DiDonato and Nicole Cabell in "The Capulets and the Montagues."

Page 17 of 34 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast