Page 16 of 34 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    Alagna reverted to falsetto more than a couple of times, and while it was pretty where he sang in tune -- in the Tomb Scene his pitch went awry -- it was still falsetto, not pppp or pp. (I was trying to follow his explanation.) It sounded better than the typical scream, but Palombi does a real quad piano there, and it felt like a cheat.
    The falsetto in Celeste Aida was in tune, but still weird. What bothered me more, though, was that there were parts where the other voices seemed to drown his - in the second act especially. Maybe the placement of the microphones had something to do with that too, I don't know. Still, I expected him to have a more powerful presence and I was kind of disappointed.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    "Celeste Aida" was definitely in tune. The Tomb Scene, not so much. (I wished she had stabbed him in the ribs to stop him.) I agree he wasn't carrying very well throughout, but I think he held his own dramatically.

I read a couple of interviews with Borodina, who said she so preferred singing with Domingo than Pavarotti, because she felt that Pavarotti stood in one spot and did his own calculated thing and didn't care about his colleagues ("He's got this perfectly tuned machine but when he's singing he has cold eyes,") while Domingo cared about the drama. Alagna looked like he cared about the drama and was in the moment.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/m...mess-with.html
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2005...lmusicandopera

Maria Nockin, who does a lot of reviews of regional opera especially, posted this link of an English translation of an interview with Monastyrska to the Opera-L list:
    http://www.day.kiev.ua/en/article/cu...-we-need-image
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    I just read a review of "Les Troyens," and it was probably Eric Cutler's Iopas with which I was impressed, not Giordani's Aeneas. I knew the music was familiar, but I didn't realize it was Iopas', since I don't know the opera very well.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    I read a couple of interviews with Borodina, who said she so preferred singing with Domingo than Pavarotti, because she felt that Pavarotti stood in one spot and did his own calculated thing and didn't care about his colleagues ("He's got this perfectly tuned machine but when he's singing he has cold eyes,") while Domingo cared about the drama. Alagna looked like he cared about the drama and was in the moment.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/m...mess-with.html
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2005...lmusicandopera
    Thank you for the interviews with Borodina! So no-nonsense, she's great!

vCash
    I just read a review of "Les Troyens," and it was probably Eric Cutler's Iopas with which I was impressed, not Giordani's Aeneas. I knew the music was familiar, but I didn't realize it was Iopas', since I don't know the opera very well.
    Yes, Giordani is the one who received the boos on opening night when my friend went. I'm curious to see what happens tonight when I go.

Also, re: Alagna and his acting talent, vocally he can certainly be hit or miss, but he is the only Don Jose I have ever seen who has been able to convince me that that character has a legitimate point of view and that the opera is not all Carmen all the time.
    Last edited by emason; 12-17-2012 at 11:57 AM.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by emason View Post

Also, re: Alagna and his acting talent, vocally he can certainly be hit or miss, but he is the only Don Jose I have ever seen who has been able to convince me that that character has a legitimate point of view and that the opera is not all Carmen all the time.
    That is a rare talent.

This was linked on Opera-L and

It's Neither April 1st nor Halloween

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    "Top 25 of 2012", a year-end holiday treat from barihunks:

Zeig mir deinen Sixpack (No. 8)

AYS's snark-sponge
    vCash
    SaSherka, were you at Les Troyens today? Thought I saw you when they were panning the audience before it started.
    Congratulations 2014 World Ice Dance Champions Anna Cappellini & Luca Lanotte!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueRidge View Post
    SaSherka, were you at Les Troyens today? Thought I saw you when they were panning the audience before it started.
    Haha decided to pop into the thread and I am mentioned! Sixth sense! Yes, I was in house and L-O-V-E-D all 5+ hours of Les Troyens (with a particular mention of Act 4 meltingly gorgeous love scenes)

Also saw Maria Stuarda the night before with lady JDD <3

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SaSherka View Post
    Haha decided to pop into the thread and I am mentioned! Sixth sense! Yes, I was in house and L-O-V-E-D all 5+ hours of Les Troyens (with a particular mention of Act 4 meltingly gorgeous love scenes)

Also saw Maria Stuarda the night before with lady JDD <3
    I saw Les Troyens in HD and I too loved every minute of it. Susan Graham and Bryan Hymel were spectacular.

Can't wait for Maria Stuarda next week!

AYS's snark-sponge
    vCash

Wheee, I wasn't really paying attention and then I said, hey wait a minute, I know that person!

I loved Les Troyens! I'm so envious you got to see it in person.

I hadn't been paying attention so didn't know that Giordani had dropped out. I was thrilled with Bryan Hymel! Wow. And loved, loved, loved Susan Graham.
    Congratulations 2014 World Ice Dance Champions Anna Cappellini & Luca Lanotte!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueRidge View Post
    And loved, loved, loved Susan Graham.
    I was reminded of another splendid Dido, Anna Bonitatibus in Cavalli's "La Didone", which I'd seen last year in Paris (conducted by William Christie).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=biRqP...rsrtg&index=36

vCash
    MetHD Les Troyens interview x3

I wasn't excited about Les Troyens until the announcement that Giordani dropped out I knew Bryan Hymel would be fab (and he was, Sat as well as on his debut night 12/26 which was broadcast!)

As for Maria Stuarda, JDD was fantastic, but honestly, I wasn't crazy about the production (I also didn't have time to have dinner beforehand and was lacking sleep...). Just felt too static from up in the Family Circle / Balcony. I have a feeling it'll come off much better in HD as most of the acting was in minute details. I also loved the Met/Sirius broadcast - the power of this opera is in the music, imho, not in the staged grandeur as in Les Troyens.

Btw, just noticed that Angela Meade is singing in tomorrow's Il Trovatore broadcast, replacing Patricia Racette.

IoanaC, thanks for sharing Bonitatibus' Dido!!!

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    That's great news about Angela Meade.

How did Elza van den Heever sound?
    Last edited by kwanfan1818; 01-11-2013 at 11:05 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IoanaC View Post
    Thank you for the interviews with Borodina! So no-nonsense, she's great!
    Scotto said the same thing.
    It is amazing to listen to Pavarotti. But I definitely see the point of Leading Ladies who want their leading man to care about them for 3 hours
    And a friend sent me a link to "Wozzeck on Ice" a while ago. I am still laughing. Reminds me of a "Simpson"s episode when they did "Streetcar Named Desire The Musical" . Just too good.
    improving my ballad- like lines

AYS's snark-sponge
    vCash
    Btw, just noticed that Angela Meade is singing in tomorrow's Il Trovatore broadcast, replacing Patricia Racette.
    OH! Cool!

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    I've heard a lot of people over the years wish that Pavarotti's voice had been attached to a musician (and as long as they were wishing for the impossible, who looked like Franco Corelli).

vCash
    I have few regrets in life, but two of them are I regret that I never heard Pavarotti live, and I regret never seeing Pasha skate live.
    Boi Bumba!!!

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    For me, the best live Pavarotti was in his first few New York recitals in the early-mid '70's. He sang every song like a jewel, like it was the first and last time he would sing it and like he had all the time in the world. He sang the Rossini "La Danza" and in at least one, ended part of the program with "Ingemisco" from the Verdi "Requiem," but he saved the opera mostly for his encores. Then he switched accompanists -- I think Martin Katz may have been his earlier one -- and there was talk of the first round of vocal problems, too -- and he was never the same. It was as if he were rushing through the songs.

He was a delight in "Daughter of the Regiment;" it suited him temperamentally and he was almost spry. In the other operas I had heard him in, it was nice to hear his voice, but they weren't the best or favorite performances of them that I'd heard.

vCash
    SaSherka: It sounds like you've been having a great time coming to NY for the opera. It was nice to meet you at the JDD recital; apologies for not mentioning it sooner. Maybe we will bump into each other at some future event.

Meanwhile, I got a new brochure from Carnegie Hall yesterday. On Sunday, Feb. 24, at 2pm is a concertized staging of Handel's Radamisto with, among others, David Daniels, Luca Pisaroni and Patricia Bardon. Attn: Marge_Simpson, if you are still interested in Baroque opera, then get a ticket for this. I found a decent one in the Dress Circle and there are still seats available.

I also picked up a ticket for Isabel Leonard's Tues., April 9, vocal recital in Zankel Hall.

Page 16 of 34 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast