Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Not 'Boxxy'!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Andora View Post
    Poor Lynette. She's the character that gets everything unglamorous while the others get wedding dress after book deal after rich husband, etc. etc. She gets cancer, pregnant again, Tom's forgotten daughter, job issues, etc. I wish they'd give her a successful career again. Kick Tom the eff out and kick ass in those wicked suits she briefly had.
    Agreed, and it looks like the show is finally ready to deal with her life. They made it painfully obvious Lynette was a wreck at the end of her rope last episode with Tom typically not getting it.
    Last edited by soxxy; 09-29-2009 at 07:55 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by soxxy View Post
    The show will never have Lynette electing to get an abortion. It's too much of a hot button issue nowadays. Do characters on daytime soaps even get abortions any more? It seems to me it was more of a popular "option" during the 80's with Dallas, Dynasty, Knots Landing, etc., but the political atmosphere has changed in the US since then.

It's more likely she'll have a miscarriage (probably brought on by someone's whacked out behavior).
    I don't remember any character having an abortion on any of those nighttime soaps you named. I watched Dynasty and they had abortion come up twice: (1) when Fallon considered it but couldn't go through with it; and (2) when Dana revealed that she had an abortion in the 1970s and it left her incapable of having children. Neither made abortion seem like a palatable option, and I don't think TV has changed much in the years since. Other than in Six Feet Under, I cannot recall any TV character (other than a guest character on a cop or hospital show) getting an abortion in the past 20 years. Apparently, Family Guy planned an abortion-themed episode, but TPTB ordered it pulled.

Not 'Boxxy'!
    vCash
    Yes, that sounds about right, in the past 20 years. I think Carrie Bradshaw mentioned having an abortion at some point in her life the first season of Sex and the City. The option was much more "in the air" in the 1970's and 1980's, beginning, to my recollection, with that Maude episode. I'd be amazed if Lynette had an abortion except if a doctor said her life was in danger.

vCash
    I finally watched the show and I agree with those who are sick of the same old stuff just a different season.
    Do we really need a new housewife? Maybe. But it's the same old thing. New people come, they are weird and dangerous and cause havoc for the current residents.

Also, I felt awful for Lynette. This woman just never seems to be able (or be strong enough?) to truly take control of her life. I kept expecting the word abortion or adoption at least to come up, but it didn't! I mean, she's had 4 kids, taken in one that wasn't hers, battled cancer... when does she get to actually live for herself?

On the topic of abortion on soaps... there really haven't been any on the soaps I watch. I remember that many many years ago Ashley aborted Victor's child on the Young and the Restless and then promptly went insane I believe (portraying abortion, yet again, as this god awful thing that no one ever gets over). That was the last abortion I remember. Beyond that, just a few weeks ago, on As The World Turns, an 18/19 year old girl realized she was pregnant, went to go get an abortion and while she was in the room about to get it, her mom walked in and demanded that she stop and then lectured her about how abortion was not an option and such.

I feel like it is sucha hot topic issue, but no soap is willing to really talk about it! I mean, it's discussed, but then teh conclusion that women always reach is taht it's not an option. I really do wish shows would talk about this and actually tackle this issue.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mashenka82 View Post
    I really do wish shows would talk about this [abortion] and actually tackle this issue.
    That's what I was thinking. It being twins, they could actually make it so that her/a baby's health is at risk, and they need to reduce down to one. So it's abortion, but not in the traditional way. But I don't know if ABC's PTB are willing to take on the issue in any form.

vCash
    Canadian teen drama Degrassi-- both in the late '80s and the current "New Generation," has had abortions on the show. And it wasn't necessarily portrayed as horrific thing it evidently is elsewhere.
    "How you treat the weak is
    Your true nature calling" -- Jane's Addiction

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Andora View Post
    Canadian teen drama Degrassi-- both in the late '80s and the current "New Generation," has had abortions on the show. And it wasn't necessarily portrayed as horrific thing it evidently is elsewhere.
    I was going to mention Degrassi, but you beat me to it.

The "Next Generation" of Degrassi airs on The N here in the USA. So if a TV show on a kids' network can depict a 14-year-old girl getting pregnant and deciding to have an abortion, why couldn't Desperate Housewives which has an older audience and it's an adult character who is making this choice?

I remember a lot of fans of "All My Children" were angry when Bianca was raped and DIDN'T get an abortion and chose instead to have and keep the baby (which ended up getting switched with someone else's baby and yadda, yadda, yadda, you know how soap operas are).

vCash
    The N did not air that Degassi episode for a long, long time. Initially, they just skipped over the episode, which left those young viewers confused (wait--Manny's pregnant and they no longer talk about it? Why isn't she getting bigger?).

Tom mentioned it was 3 months since Lynette first got pregnant. Can she still have an abortion?

vCash
    Didn't Lynette ask Tom to get a vasectomy a couple of seasons ago?
    Could she give him one now with the hedge clippers?
    My prediction is that Lynette will need some form of cancer treatment that would endanger the babies. She will decide not to have the treatment - because now she loves the babies. She will lose the babies, anyway. Much angst will ensue. In the meantime, Tom will continue to be clueless and irresponsible and out of touch with reality as he pontificates about motherhood.

By the way, didn't Gaby have 3 children at the beginning of last season? What happened to the other 2?

vCash
    Gabby has 2 children, but Juanita is the only one who gets a lot of airtime and lines. I don't remember her other daughter's name.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JJH View Post

By the way, didn't Gaby have 3 children at the beginning of last season? What happened to the other 2?
    Gaby had two daughters last season. They only showed the older one (Juanita) this week, but she always got more screen time than the younger one (Celia), so I would guess Celia is still around.

ETA: nerdycool beat me to it.

Not 'Boxxy'!
    vCash
    Juanita is priceless because, even at her young age, she can sniff out any hypocrisy on Gaby's part a mile away and call her out on it. I don't know what they have in store for Gaby this season, but dealing with her niece possibly "influencing" Juanita might be a part of it.

vCash
    My stupid DVR cut off the last minute of tonight's episode. Can anyone tell me if anything happened after the new neighbor boy was taken out of his house by the police?

Does anyone else suspect Mrs. McCloskey's boyfriend of being the one who attacked Julie?

Not 'Boxxy'!
    vCash
    Julie was strangled either by:

The new neighbor's kid she went to the movies with? I don't think so. His parents may think so but I believe him that he didn't.

The baby daddy? - we have no information on him

Katherine? She's insanely upset with Susan and desperate to get Mike back....but I think she wants her revenge directly on Susan.

Most likely Ana, Carolos niece, who likes the kid and lied about everything. (And Gaby playing stepmom to her all season is not too exciting.)

I don't see any reason why Mrs. McCloseky's bf would harm Julie. Would he even have the strength?

Also, Lynette's having the twins....Susan had a talk with her and she and Tom told the kids.
    Last edited by soxxy; 10-05-2009 at 03:21 AM.

vCash
    Julie's strangler most likely has something to do with her baby daddy. Remember, Lynette told Susan that Julie said she might possibly be pregnant but couldn't say who it was because it's "complicated." Married man? But doesn't matter who it is now, the doctors said she wasn't pregnant.

vCash
    Also, Lynette's having the twins....Susan had a talk with her and she and Tom told the kids.

I'm really not to keen on that story line.

Thunder & Lightning!!!
    vCash
    Julie was strangled either by:

The new neighbor's kid she went to the movies with? I don't think so. His parents may think so but I believe him that he didn't.

The baby daddy? - we have no information on him

Katherine? She's insanely upset with Susan and desperate to get Mike back....but I think she wants her revenge directly on Susan.

Most likely Ana, Carolos niece, who likes the kid and lied about everything. (And Gaby playing stepmom to her all season is not too exciting.)

I don't see any reason why Mrs. McCloseky's bf would harm Julie. Would he even have the strength?

I wouldn't rule out the new kids Father (or Mom)...there is something that family is hiding, and he had just left to go find his kid and Mom was home alone. Maybe either didn't like the fact she seemed to have upset their son.
    Peace & Love, Gypsy
    Even a man who is pure in heart and says his prayers by night, may become a wolf when the wolfbane blooms and the autumn moon is bright.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    A few things. I don't think the strangler could be the old man. The person who did it ran off much too quickly for his age. I also don't think it was the new neighbors son because it just seems too obvious. My guess is either Katherine (although I hope not) or the potential baby daddy or someone involved with him (if he is married). I just really don't think it could be Katherine though because that is a repeat of last season where someone tries to take out revenge on Susan by killing her child. I wouldn't watch this show anymore if they completely repeat storylines, they are already doing it enough with the creepy neighbors.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    One other thing. Katherine put a "bug" in the ear of Orson saying that Mike "came on to her" or something like that when she took over the casserole dish to him, which is totally untrue and in fact, the other way around, she tried to kiss him and he pushed her away. Katherine told Orson "not to tell Bree" because she didn't want "it" getting back to Susan. So what will happen is Orson will tell Bree who in turn will feel obligated to tell Susan.

ETA: Bree probably won't say anything to Susan if she's smart, because she's cheating on Orson with her divorce lawyer!

I'm enjoying the show.
    Last edited by Cupid; 10-05-2009 at 05:01 PM. Reason: Wrong couple! Changed now.

vCash
    I don't feel sorry for Lynette. She is as manipulative and (in her bad moments) selfish as anyone on that show. Tom is no prize either, but like most DH couples, they deserve each other. Having said that, Felicity H. does a wonderful job portraying her and certainly makes her as sympathetic as is conceivable given the story lines.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast