Page 13 of 51 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: True Blood

vCash
    Well, this episode was much less "deep" than the previous but there was some food for thought there, I guess.

- even though I am not really Eric/Sookie shipper (Erookie? Sooric?) I did think the dream scene was well played, particularly by Skarsgard. So I guess I have to take back some of my gripes about his acting ability. Maybe he's only good in the snogging scenes. Don't talk Eric, just snog

Anyway, I thought he nailed the emotions of the moment--at least as it was playing out in Sookie's bodice-ripper influenced fantasy dream: vulnerability, raw need for comfort in time of great grief, tenderness and here comes just the woman to help him in his time of need oooky stuff. Then when the fangs came out she touched them gently, caressing them before offering her neck to him Gotta love bodice-rippers (I used to read my grandmother's collection when I was young and bored and stuck at her house during family visits--it was then that I learned what a "manspear" was but I had a hard time figuring out why they were always "throbbing"). I suspect Sookie will find a jarring contrast between R/L Eric and her dream image in the near future.

- also liked the scenes of Tara tied up/being rescued at Lafayette's house. Loved the Lafayette line "Jesus and I may see other people, but that doesn't mean we don't talk from time to time." (paraphrasing here). Lettie May and Lafayette redeemed themselves through that rescue and through the confessions of their own negligent roles that let Tara slip under the control of Maryanne. Good stuff.

- Bill swaggering in to the queen's mansion and the security guards recognizing him. Hmmmmm... odd that... no? The Bill has his strut back. He's no longer emasculated and he didn't even yell "Soooookeh!" once this episode during a thwarted rescue attempt. I'm thinking Bill has things going on that we don't know about. Plus his make up was better this week. So he goes up in my estimation ooo ooo PLUS I loved the fact he was actually using his brain and remembered his reading on ancient monsters of Greece. Take a look at the close up illustration in the book -- it shows what is supposed to come

- was mildly amused by the oddball trio of Sam, Andy, and Jason. Was very amused by Jason's war preparations: nail gun, gas mask, flares, and a chainsaw I did wonder where the guns were, though? I mean this is the rural South, if it's anything like rural Canada where I grew up, every second house has a shotgun or rifle for hunting season. Anyway, seems Jason is using his brain, but only part of it. Thought the Jason-as-god scene was too funny.

Dislikes:
    - we got ripped off with only 46 minutes of episode. Shame on HBO.

- the preview for next week was too short

- no closure for the Godric death scene--I mean c'mon, they don't even discuss something that powerful/moving? meh...I need my denouemont!

- another cliffhanger ending: this is getting a bit old

vCash
    lol your bodice rippers description cracked me up

vCash
    I didn't think that episode was that bad. Loved the bathtub scene... yummy. Loved the part with Sookie and 'lightening bolt' thingie. Interesting...
    ~I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it.~ (Charles R. Swindoll)

vCash
    I was sort of mixed in my opinions of Bill this week. I liked that he was more confident and proactive, but at the same time the scene where he vetoed Sookie's plan to call Eric in as a reinforcement and then demanded her blood to heal himself really turned me off. His jealous girlfriend-act is getting very old.

Does anyone know why the episode was only 46 minutes long?
    Last edited by flutzilla1; 08-24-2009 at 04:39 PM.
    "In no way do I think I stopped commanding a spotlight. I think I travel with one." -- Johnny Weir

vCash
    Hey, at least we got more shirtless Eric fantasy sequence (though again with the teasing us with just upper and side views - no real chest).

Bill was (unintentionally) hilarious and is Sookie's flash going to be the intro to learning about her

Spoiler

heritage?

I think Bill going to see the Queen will also maybe lead to her giving him the

Spoiler

And also,how/when is Sam going to explain his disappearance during the 'smiting' to Jason and Andy?

But yeah, what's with being like 6 minutes shorter than usual? I would have loved to see more of the Hotel stuff at the opening, like Sookie actually returning to hers/Bill's room and crying, or awkwardly bumping into Eric in the hallway at checkout or something like that, though the fantasy sequence was really well done and actually kinda realistic! I think Sookie's fantasy Eric is going to be the Eric we see in Season 4 (if they stick with the books) which will be what makes it harder to resist him. But what's great is she did see that side of him in 'real Eric' when he was pleading and bawling for Godric to 'live'. She knows he's not really just a jackass but that when he cares about someone he cares all out and doesn't hold back.

vCash
    I watched the episode last night..........it definitely needed more Eric. lol

I didn't think it was a bad episode though overall. I liked that Sookie and Bill were able to get through to Tara. Tara's a good actress(don't know the actress's real name off hand). I loved the bit with Jason and the horns, etc. That was hilarious. And Andy trying to say how Sam was the guy with the one eye among the blind...killed me. Sam "I have no idea what you're trying to say" "me either"

vCash
    Ah my beloved, clueless but loyal Jason provided classic moments in last night's episode. Some part of me hopes that Maryanne encounters Jason and he manages to escape her wrath with another "MacGyver for Rednecks" manuever! Just to see the look on her face!

vCash
    this is disgrace ! We got like 5 seconds of Eric ?
    what the HBO ???

The episode was way too short, and there was no closure for Godric. I am not happy. Not happy at all.

vCash
    I just think the episode was the worst yet because of the lack of vampire stuff. Vampires are what the show does best, and it's a show about the effects of vampires being around, so throw in some damn vampire stuff!

Though I am excited for the

Spoiler

of season 3. Alan Ball said he's excited to deal with that and the vampires of Mississippi.

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by screech View Post
    I just think the episode was the worst yet because of the lack of vampire stuff. Vampires are what the show does best, and it's a show about the effects of vampires being around, so throw in some damn vampire stuff!

Though I am excited for the

Spoiler

of season 3. Alan Ball said he's excited to deal with that and the vampires of Mississippi.
    Those Mississippi guys like to party. Wonder if they'll deal with Tara as in the book, although it's going to be a bit redundant after this season.
    Those who never succeed themselves are always the first to tell you how.

vCash
    I'm excited to see Debbie Pelt (and Alan Ball said he's excited to do her in the show, finding her fascinating). I'm sure they'll find something for Tara to do, after all, they're keeping Lafayette busy this season, and in the 2nd book, he's dead! I can't see TV Tara getting mixed up with the vamps, so she'll probably have to hold down home fort once again, just like this season. Though maybe they'll deal with her new trust for her mom (after this week's episode where she realizes her mom isn't so bad anymore) and their rocky relationship.

Though season 2 isn't done yet, I'm excited for season 3. No more Maryanne (hopefully), plus all the craziness that happens in book 3

Spoiler

and Sookie dealing with how she now sees the new side of Eric, plus all the Bill stuff in book 3. Apparently they start filming in Decembre and Season 3 will air next summer. I can't wait!

vCash
    Well I hope they get up to book 4 at least because I loved book 3 and 4.
    ~I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it.~ (Charles R. Swindoll)

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    Yes, 4. Naked Eric running down the road. Yes indeed.
    Those who never succeed themselves are always the first to tell you how.

vCash
    Though on the back of the book they say naked, but actually IN the book he's wearing pants. But I could definitely see Alan Ball having him either naked, or in his red speedo undies. Hee hee. If he's going to deny us our pink and aqua swirled lycra, at least give us the red speedo undies that leave little to the imagination.

Though for season 3, I can't wait to see how they play out all the Bill stuff. Will they leave it in the dark, or let us know right off, or just hide the 'bad guy' so that that part is a 'surprise'? Though that all depends on if we see Sophie give him his assignment that makes all of book 3 happen.

Also, can't wait to see what they do with the casting of Alcide. I picture a kind of a bigger version of Colin Farrell - attractive and scruffy with messy hair.

vCash
    Jen Faith's recap = Pure Gold

Ok, so I kind of read some of your comments before watching this week and I had a really low expectation of the ep. But, I thought it was actually a pretty good one! I would have liked to have seen more non-Sookie-fantasy closure with Eric re: Godric's death.A hilariously awkward real-life scene with Sookie and Eric definitely could have filled the remaining 6 minutes.

FLOVED Jason! I'm a big TVJason fan (HATE him in the books) and he really came through he took all the training from FOTS and kicked some ass, while looking really hot shirtless. The horned god thing slayed me and I love that he was able to be confident in his abilities and take charge. Terry Bellefleur, on the other hand, made me sad; like he can only think rationally when the whole situation is irrational. A really great way to highlight his PTSD and show how he probably used to be before the war

Bill's demeanor has changed in this ep (being a lot more order-y), though his anti-Eric/Sookeh possessiveness is getting really old. I guess it's a lot more true to the book, and to be honest, I hate the "SOOKEH IS MAHN!" Bill more than anything, so anything new is an improvement. I did enjoy how his vampowers totally didn't work on MaryAnne, while Sookie exhibited a new one that did. Heh.

The Taraxorcism was creepy, well-acted, and totally moving. I've always loved Lafayette, but he was complicit in her turning to MaryAnne for moral support, so I was happy that he really worked hard to bring her back. And I appreciated Lettie May also admitting her culpability and taking responsability for being a really shitty mother for most of Tara's life.

A ton of stuff happened this week: shirtless Eric and shirtless Jason, we got a shot of things to come with the Queen, Sookie exhibited her powers, Jason was awesome, Sam escaped the mob and shapeshifted in front of others, Tara was rescued and her family started to mend fences with her, Jessica totally bit Maxine and Bill's starting a new agenda. But best of all - Maryanne's beginning of the end has started I liked the ep

vCash
    I saw a mini interview with Stephen Moyer at a party for Anna Paquin's Nylon magazine cover thing, and he was asked about what can be expected for the season finale and he just said 'there's a really odd tree.' They brought that up with Anna and she was like 'what the...' then clued in and kind of rolled her eyes (I assume they mean the Maryann Meat Tree)

Also he talked about how he proposed. He designed the ring with his jewler friend. He also mentioned a connection to the show, how in season 1 there was a song about white sunny beaches in Hawaii (which he thought was funny on a vamp show) and they went to Hawaii this summer which is where he did it. Awww. And she showed off her ring. Big round stone.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rfisher View Post
    Yes, 4. Naked Eric running down the road. Yes indeed.
    hahaha, ok you just upped the speed at which I'll be reading through book 2.

vCash
    Well, there's a really almost-excellent scene in book 3 as well, so don't read too fast.

"The practice of sport is a human right. Every individual must have the possibility of practicing sport, without discrimination of any kind and in the Olympic spirit, which requires mutual understanding with a spirit of friendship, solidarity and fair play." –Olympic Charter

vCash
    Some slightly spoiler-ish stuff from e online

Also found out upon whom Charlaine Harris modeled the physical characteristics/appearance of bookEric. It's Vladimir Kulich from the movie the 13th Warrior. Makes sense now-- all this talk of leonine hair etc from the books. Personally, I thought Banderas was the hotter one in that film, but also thought the film was really silly.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by screech View Post
    Anna and she was like 'what the...' then clued in and kind of rolled her eyes (I assume they mean the Maryann Meat Tree)
    Hey, it's not just meat, it's an organic Kobe beef tree, with vegetables and gourds too (I think there was even a broccoli "head")

Page 13 of 51 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast