Page 10 of 51 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: True Blood

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skategal View Post
    OMG.....Eric!!

He was SO hot last night....even with blood tears on his face (lol!).

I wish Sookie had drank his blood willingly though and not been tricked.

Does anyone know why Bill fed on the human? I totally missed what Bill said to him after he bit him.

Can't wait for next weeks epidsode.
    The human was with the bomber. Bill chased him down. He bit him but didn't kill him to show mercy.

Eric tricks Sookie into drinking his blood a couple more times. He's quite the trickster. And hot.
    Adelina Sotnikova defeated the curse of Esta She is indeed the Greatest Of All Time!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DBZ View Post
    So, when Bill is exposed to the sun (as we saw last season), he gets a little er...burnt.

But when Godric lets the sun shine in, he...disintegrates?

Did I miss the exposition that explains this difference?
    I think it was mentioned very briefly by Godric when Sookie tells Eric that she'll stay with Godric as long as it takes. Godric replied with something to the effect that "at my age it shouldn't take long". I guess that means the older the vamp, the quicker sunlight burns them? Maybe?

I and a big Eric in the dream sequence. More Alexander with no clothes, please. I think Eric and Sookie are a beautiful couple on screen and they looked like they belonged together from the first moment the scene started. I'm wondering if this is what is the catalyst for what happens with Bill in the next season/book 3?

Between that scene, the Sookie and Eric bullet scene, and the last 5 minutes (in which I was tearing up) this was the best episode yet.

Long live Team Eric!!!

I also hope that Lafayette will be given a bit more to do once this Maryann storyline wraps up and given some more chances to shine like we've seen him in the past.
    "In no way do I think I stopped commanding a spotlight. I think I travel with one." -- Johnny Weir

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rfisher View Post
    The human was with the bomber. Bill chased him down. He bit him but didn't kill him to show mercy.
    Thanks. I kind of thought Bill said something about sending a message to the others in NOT killing him....but wasn't sure. Sort of like sending a message. But first when I saw it, I thought Bill had bitten Jason.

vCash
    Watched last night's episode twice and enjoyed it both times. Almost shed a tear at the end, despite the need to suspend belief and cynicism, as Godric immolated himself in the dawn sun.

Even though this series has plot holes you can drive tanks through and requires immense amounts of fanwankery to make it really work, the series is growing on me. It's campy and gothic and riddled with excessive sex; some of the actors sometimes strike flat notes (I'm looking at you Skarsgard, no matter how hot your 6'4" Swedish body is) but, I think underneath the superficial stuff there's a bigger theme running and I'm finally starting to clue into it (du-uh).

I haven't quite managed to articulate it yet, but I kind of tweaked to it when Maryann said "The god that is coming demands his sacrifice. Where is Sam Merlotte?" and that was twinned/contrasted in the same episode with Godric's self-sacrifice, Sookie's promise of God's redemption, and the peaceful, almost angelic/Christ-like way Godric went up in flames Did you notice the flames on his back were almost like wings and his arms were outstretched like a crucifixion? Last season, Bill in the sun smoldered gruesomely but Godric evaporated in a sparkly flames 'o light. Which vampire is closer to God? Now is all this a ten ton anvil of symbolism or what???.

So I'm left ruminating on the nature of sacrifice, the divine, redemption, and cosmic "bliss" (remember, Maryann talked about uniting with one's god and experiencing bliss). Agghh feels a bit like a sixties acid trip. Anyway, I don't think I'm going to get it (if there is any "it" to be gotten) until I've seen the whole season but I think there's something there.

Ehh...maybe I'll just scrap the deep stuff and enjoy the camp.

Liked:
    Hoyt standing up to his Momma
    Eric's evil grin of delight as Sookie sucks out his bullets
    Godric's joy and wonder at the end (well-played by the actor)

Disliked:
    Not too much actually

Still wondering:
    What happened to Barry the Bellboy?

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    Barry should show up again when they go to St. Louis (book 4 in book time). Who knows when that will be in TV time. MaryAnn's god is Dionysus. Maybe he'll show up with some wine or

Spoiler

Adelina Sotnikova defeated the curse of Esta She is indeed the Greatest Of All Time!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jen_faith View Post
    some of the actors sometimes strike flat notes (I'm looking at you Skarsgard, no matter how hot your 6'4" Swedish body is) but, I think underneath the superficial stuff there's a bigger theme running and I'm finally starting to clue into it (du-uh).
    I thought he had a tendency to be flat at times this season too. But I haven't read the books so was wondering if it was just the 'Eric' character tends to be a bit like that?

I was a bit lukewarm towards him all season (except for his looks, of course) until the last couple of episodes (last night in particular) when he really won me over.

Skarsgard did a wonderful job last night when he was given a 'meatier' storyline so I am looking forward to seeing more.

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skategal View Post

Skarsgard did a wonderful job last night when he was given a 'meatier' storyline so I am looking forward to seeing more.
    Me too. In Book 4, he's running naked down the road. They can move that up to Book 3.

vCash
    Me too. In Book 4, he's running naked down the road. They can move that up to Book 3.
    YUM!!

vCash
    No, Eric is never flat in the books. He's always at least plotting fifty things--getting Sookie into bed is usually within the top five. In the books, it's Eric that gets all the best lines, not Jason.

More a teaser than a spoiler, but in the book, Eric gets all gussied up as a bisexual drag queen, before

Spoiler

If there is an HBO god, WE WILL SEE THAT SCENE. I will be more than happy to sacrifice a few Bill/Sookie shippers to Maryanne to see that play out.
    "The practice of sport is a human right. Every individual must have the possibility of practicing sport, without discrimination of any kind and in the Olympic spirit, which requires mutual understanding with a spirit of friendship, solidarity and fair play." –Olympic Charter

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Matryeshka View Post
    No, Eric is never flat in the books. He's always at least plotting fifty things--getting Sookie into bed is usually within the top five. In the books, it's Eric that gets all the best lines, not Jason.

More a teaser than a spoiler, but in the book, Eric gets all gussied up as a bisexual drag queen, before

Spoiler

If there is an HBO god, WE WILL SEE THAT SCENE. I will be more than happy to sacrifice a few Bill/Sookie shippers to Maryanne to see that play out.
    I was never a Bill/Sookie shipper in the books and Stephen Moyer has done nothing to change my mind. It's Eric all the way. CH writes the character with the most humor of all. She deliberately made Bill dull when she wanted to move beyond that story arc. She's managed to keep the Eric/Sookie relationship on that edge (of course she detoured with a few shape shifters and crap but hopefully she's back on track for the next book).

vCash
    Wow, just finished watching. I was sobbing at the end lol. Very sad seeing Eric say goodbye, and it was sweet of Sookie to stay with him.

Also, Eric/Sookie scene.. WOW!! More nekkid Eric please lol. I heart HBO.

vCash
    I was never a Bill/Sookie shipper in the books and Stephen Moyer has done nothing to change my mind. It's Eric all the way. CH writes the character with the most humor of all. She deliberately made Bill dull when she wanted to move beyond that story arc. She's managed to keep the Eric/Sookie relationship on that edge (of course she detoured with a few shape shifters and crap but hopefully she's back on track for the next book).
    I don't see how anyone can be a Bill/Sookie shipper based on the books. I think the show has made him seem more sympathetic, so I could understand viewers preferring Bill (though Stephen Moyer does absolutely nothing for me).

And I like the shapeshifters.

Spoiler

I've been thinking that one of the problems with the Maryanne storyline is not just that it seems to be overkill in terms of showing the orgies and excess, but it also has changed Bon Temps. Having half the town in jail and, now, having everyone chasing Sam crosses a line that I think the books have done very well to handle -- keeping most of the supernatural stuff separate from the ordinary town dealings, with only a little overlap. And how will they explain the entire town being destroyed? I recognize that people don't remember what they did while under Maryanne's spell, but that just seems to open the door to using the cosmic reboot button.

vCash
    I think it's because they decided NOT to kill Lafayette, which left them languishing for a Louisiana plot, which they filled with Marryanne nonsense. I understand why they kept him; he makes great TV. And I understand that unlike the books, you can't just ignore characters for 350 pages as TV shows are not in the first person.

The problem with True Blood is that they need to either get closer to the books for actual plots, or they need to deviate more and make the storylines TV friendly.
    "The practice of sport is a human right. Every individual must have the possibility of practicing sport, without discrimination of any kind and in the Olympic spirit, which requires mutual understanding with a spirit of friendship, solidarity and fair play." –Olympic Charter

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Matryeshka View Post
    I think it's because they decided NOT to kill Lafayette, which left them languishing for a Louisiana plot, which they filled with Marryanne nonsense. I understand why they kept him; he makes great TV. And I understand that unlike the books, you can't just ignore characters for 350 pages as TV shows are not in the first person.
    I agree with that. It's not just Lafayette. The TV show has made significant characters of Bon Temps characters like Sam and Tara, with strong supporting characters like Arlene, Terry, and the police. Only Sam really had any significant presence in the books, and he could easily disappear for 200 pages at a time.

So I agree that it made sense to do something in Bon Temps. I just think that including everyone in the town in the supernatural aspect of the plot is problematic. It means that pretty much anything in Bon Temps has to do with Maryanne, which has made the town dealings pretty dull. That didn't have to be the case. The Maryanne plot could have lasted half the season, involving just Sam and Tara (and, to a limited extent, Lafayette), with other issues filling more of the season. Remember that we have the Lafayette V-selling plot also. That plot seems to have been left hanging, but could have been going on during this time as well. And they could have done some other things. For instance, consistent with my spoiler above

Spoiler

And Tara's post-Maryanne plot could have had something to do with her trying to reconcile what she did while under Maryanne's spell. Maybe that would involve trying to figure out whether she should have a relationship with Eggs, or whether the relationship was caused by the spell.

vCash
    Loved Eric last night with his mischievousness and the dream sequence. mmmm I could wake up to that (minus the taunting Lorena).

Eric is sometimes played flat, but it's also kind of explained - he's 1000 years old and completely disinterested most of the time, so he doesn't really put too much thought or effort into anything. I think that AS does great in that respect, but his breaking down was heartbreaking last night and so extremely well done. And Sookie is getting to see the 'human' side of him now.

The Jason and Sookie heart to heart was great. Nice to see these siblings who obviously care about each other finally admit it and discuss their problems. And loved hwo Sookie told him that he's NOT stupid, just too lazy to use his brain.

Also loved the testy Newlins on the TV, especially Sarah's 'I hate your hair!'.

And we lost 2 hunky guys - Luke and the more hunky (and fascinating) Godric. Wonder if TV land Eric will take Godric's message to heart...

And poor Hoyt, Jessica AND Mrs. Hoyt. I felt for all of them. Hoyt having to defend everything he does to his mom. Jessica trying hard to be nice and having it shot in her face that she can't give Hoyt everything. And Maxine basically losing her son because of how she was brought up and her stubbornness.

FINALLY Sam and Andy are going to team up. It's about time!

And as for not escaping earlier, Sam did say before that he needs a visual on the animal. He probably hadn't really looked at a fly that closely before or didn't have everything overly fresh in his mind to change into a small enough animal before that moment. But the 'fly on the wall' was perfect.

Loved Lafayette and Lettie Mae. It's nice to see Tara's family protecting her when her family has always been what's betrayed her and her 'new family' being what's effing her up.

Just 3 episodes left...

vCash
    last episode was utterly brilliant !
    Eric was . . . oh gosh I felt like a horny schoolgirl

Don't understand all the adult women hunting down that Pattinson Edward dude. He is very pretty and cute, but Alexander is HOT !

more naked Eric !

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by screech View Post
    Eric is sometimes played flat, but it's also kind of explained - he's 1000 years old and completely disinterested most of the time, so he doesn't really put too much thought or effort into anything. I think that AS does great in that respect, but his breaking down was heartbreaking last night and so extremely well done. And Sookie is getting to see the 'human' side of him now.

...snip....

Just 3 episodes left...
    I understand TV Eric is supposed to be disaffected and bored with life after his 1000 years on earth sort of thing. What I meant with my "flat" comment is that Alexander Skarsgard's delivery is sometimes flat..or just a bit odd/off and to me it breaks the flow of the dialogue.

That being said, I thought he did a pretty good job on the rooftop. I did like that when he broke down and started crying he did it realistically--high pitched, cracked voice and all. This is how people really cry when dealing with something traumatic. On TV, manly men types usually just shed a silent tear that slides manfully down their cheek as they manfully hold back the sobs etc etc. It's a TV trope that has always bugged me. So I give Skarsgard props for that scene.

Quote Originally Posted by reckless View Post
    And how will they explain the entire town being destroyed? I recognize that people don't remember what they did while under Maryanne's spell, but that just seems to open the door to using the cosmic reboot button.
    If this show does a cosmic reboot I shall throw something at my TV. I sincerely hope Alan Ball and his writers are more intelligent than that. Gah... Still, in the Buffyverse after every season's big bad destroyed the school/town/world, life still seemed to go on for the good townsfolk as usual. Nonetheless, this is another TV trope that really bugs me. Guess there's a lot of tropes that get my goat and that's why I don't watch TV too much...grumble grumble.. cranky old person...

Only 3 episodes left and no new ones until next summer. How will I live without my TV vampire soap opera crack?
    Last edited by jen_faith; 08-18-2009 at 11:36 AM. Reason: edited to combine posts

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by reckless View Post
    Whole post.
    One of the things I really like about the books is that in spite of Sookies mind reading and the fact vampires and other supes are strolling about, Bon Temp is your average Southern town. I think Ball miscalcuated with the MaryAnn story line but now they have to finish it out. If Season 3 follows Book 3, they'll have the same problems when the main plot action moves out of town again. Hopefully, they'll do better. I'd rather see more of Hoyt's mama than more flabby naked people. She's a wonderful actress. If we're going for the requisite HBO nude scenes, just have more Alexandar.

I also don't like what they've done to Andy on the show. They could show his snotty sister and grandmother and explore how they suddenly have a benefactor.

vCash
    Barry should show up again when they go to St. Louis (book 4 in book time).
    Well obviously YOU are not as much of a geek as I am because in book 4

Spoiler

I am just wondering about the hanging plot line in the TV show. Bill rescues Barry and... then what?? Just like Eric/Pam forces Lafayette to start selling V again and....

I did like, however, that Barry's blood tasted a bit odd to Lorena. I'm wondering if that is setting him up to have

Spoiler

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jen_faith View Post
    Well obviously YOU are not as much of a geek as I am because in book 4

Spoiler

I am just wondering about the hanging plot line in the TV show. Bill rescues Barry and... then what?? Just like Eric/Pam forces Lafayette to start selling V again and....

I did like, however, that Barry's blood tasted a bit odd to Lorena. I'm wondering if that is setting him up to have

Spoiler

I read the books out of sequence starting with the St. Louis book and I forget which was which. I bow to your geekiness and you are correct. B4 was the best.

Page 10 of 51 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast